2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from Nationwide Children's Hospital (Columbus, OH) Child Clinical track, personal email

Members don't see this ad.

UMMC/VA neuropsych track, via email on 11/15. Interview dates:
Friday January 3, 2014

Monday January 6, 2014

Tuesday January 7, 2014

Tuesday January 14, 2014

Wednesday January 15, 2014

Wednesday January 22, 2014

Thursday January 23, 2014

Thursday January 30, 2014

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok Utah State Hospital sucked it up and sent out rejections! It was a mass email and surprisingly I could see the 28 others (yeah I counted) that the email was sent to... Here's hoping that the first notification being a rejection is in some way a good omen for the rest of this process!

Right there with you. Second rejection for me. Appreciate your positive take on it, though!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone else ever think: "Oh wow, someone is probably reading my application RIGHT NOW." Horrifying.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone else ever think: "Oh wow, someone is probably reading my application RIGHT NOW." Horrifying.

Not until just now. Thanks for that.

Reactions: 8 users
Interview invite received from NYU-Belleuve today, 11/19, via personal email. Interview date Dec. 19th. Site set the interview date and said that only under extreme circumstances could it be rescheduled.

Haha, perhaps I WAS the only one thinking that.

Just found this thread by random googling. My avoidance coping strategy has been shattered. I'm not sure if I should continuously refresh this page, or pretend I never saw it

Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite received from NYU-Belleuve today, 11/19, via personal email. Interview date Dec. 19th. Site set the interview date and said that only under extreme circumstances could it be rescheduled.
Congratulations! I received an invite today (11/19) from NYU-Bellevue as well. Mine was for the child/adolescent track and my interview date is December 12th. I also was told that the date could only be changed under extreme circumstances.

Congrats to those who received interview invites! :banana:

Just found this thread by random googling. My avoidance coping strategy has been shattered. I'm not sure if I should continuously refresh this page, or pretend I never saw it

If you want to accomplish anything between now and Dec. 15, I would recommend pretending like you never saw it...it's just a figment of your imagination...:rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
VA Puget Sound (aka Seattle VA) - Open House invite via mass email 11/19 - Open House is on January 6.

(edited to include date of email)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, I applied there and didn't get anything. :( Congrats, LosingMyMind!

:(
But thanks! (I think this is going to be a common experience on this forum... a lot of simultaneously :)/:( moments!)

I've been checking this forum frequently (darn you google for discovering it for me!) but this is my first post, so first I wanted to congratulate everyone who already has interviews! Just one rejection for me so far, but at least I held myself to only one panic-driven extra application submission after it came in last week! :smack:

I was wondering if you guys think that most or all of the interview invitations will come via e-mail (it seems like they all have for you guys so far, no??)? If that's the case I could probably stop compulsively checking to see if my phone ringer is on every few minutes and move to a more manageable half-hourly check in! :beat:

P.S. Sorry...I really like these emoticons!

Phew! Vanderbilt/VA Consortium (General Track) personalized email received 11/19--dates offered: 12/5, 12/16, 1/10

Same here. So far, it seems like these come out in waves...but perhaps not when it's a mass email? Oh well...their Open House conflicts with way too many other potential interview dates anyway.

Well, at least it's nice to know that I'm not alone. :) Although of course I feel bad for you both too!

Yeah, I would think that a mass email wouldn't be sent in waves.

Keep the faith, Cara Susanna! Not hearing doesn't mean a definite no...give it a few days at least. :)
Well, at least it's nice to know that I'm not alone. :) Although of course I feel bad for you both too!

Yeah, I would think that a mass email wouldn't be sent in waves.

I don't know; that's happened in the past. Ugh, I wish that sites would just send out rejections when they had definitely eliminated a person so that we could just *know* one way or the other.

Keep the faith, Cara Susanna! Not hearing doesn't mean a definite no...give it a few days at least. :)

I don't know; that's happened in the past. Ugh, I wish that sites would just send out rejections when they had definitely eliminated a person so that we could just *know* one way or the other.
I think they're required to send out rejections...eventually...but many may wait until the eleventh hour on Dec. 15th unfortunately.

I've been checking this forum frequently (darn you google for discovering it for me!) but this is my first post, so first I wanted to congratulate everyone who already has interviews! Just one rejection for me so far, but at least I held myself to only one panic-driven extra application submission after it came in last week! :smack:

I was wondering if you guys think that most or all of the interview invitations will come via e-mail (it seems like they all have for you guys so far, no??)? If that's the case I could probably stop compulsively checking to see if my phone ringer is on every few minutes and move to a more manageable half-hourly check in! :beat:

P.S. Sorry...I really like these emoticons!

I got a phone call yesterday, but it surprised me. I think the majority of invites come via email. So, you can probably stick to compulsively checking your email and not your phone. ;)

Helpful insight from current interns & internship site DOT:

I went on my first interview this week and I've heard that if you weren't in the first wave of interview invites than you may not hear about invitations/rejections until about 2nd week of December. Now, this may be region-specific..but it makes sense and brings a sense of calm over me knowing our applications are being processed (as they should). Also, the DOT of the site were I interviewed said early applications are always addressed first (at least at this one site, but some sites gather all before invites are sent), so if you were 'on-time' with the deadline date then you application is with the masses.

Helpful insight from current interns & internship site DOT:

I went on my first interview this week and I've heard that if you weren't in the first wave of interview invites than you may not hear about invitations/rejections until about 2nd week of December. Now, this may be region-specific..but it makes sense and brings a sense of calm over me knowing our applications are being processed (as they should). Also, the DOT of the site were I interviewed said early applications are always addressed first (at least at this one site, but some sites gather all before invites are sent), so if you were 'on-time' with the deadline date then you application is with the masses.

Yeah, this will definitely vary by site, as both of the places where I've been that had internship programs did the latter (i.e., waited until the deadline had passed and all applications were in before reviewing any of them).

As difficult as it might be, I'd try to avoid attempting to discern what it means or doesn't mean if you haven't yet heard back despite some invites having already gone out. In the end, there's really no way to know, and the anxiety you're going to induce just isn't worth it. If you haven't gotten a yes or no, then you're still under review.

The site I'm interning at waited until deadline had passed before reviewing any applications. The interns at my site are involved in the process by completing the first review for application completeness and we're also reading the cover letters but not the essays. We then pass all of applications on for further review by the powers that be. The interns just completed our reviews this week and interviews should go out December 1st according to our DOT. As an aside, our DOT said that applications to our site are down by 25% from last year. He is attributing this to the rise in cost of applications. Wonder if any other programs have noticed this drop in applications?

For those with rising adrenaline levels due to hearing others have interviews, keep these things in mind to keep your stress within normal limits: Many, many sites, will not send invitations until December. Also, you do not want 15 interviews really--stress, travel, and time wise. You want 4 or 5 or 6 (if all are highly competitive sites) to have high odds of matching--and there are no guarantees (in life in general). So what you are doing now is getting some expectable rejections over with and joining the large human community of young professionals who are also learning that you can't fit in everywhere. Just keep working on that dissertation and trust that some sites are reading your applications and will get to you in December.

For those with rising adrenaline levels due to hearing others have interviews, keep these things in mind to keep your stress within normal limits: Many, many sites, will not send invitations until December. Also, you do not want 15 interviews really--stress, travel, and time wise. You want 4 or 5 or 6 (if all are highly competitive sites) to have high odds of matching--and there are no guarantees (in life in general). So what you are doing now is getting some expectable rejections over with and joining the large human community of young professionals who are also learning that you can't fit in everywhere. Just keep working on that dissertation and trust that some sites are reading your applications and will get to you in December.

Well said. I know a few folks who applied to 20+ sites and landed 15+ interviews, and even after turning down multiple offers, they were exhausted.

If I'm remembering correctly (seems like so long ago...), I applied to 16 sites and had 7 or 8 interviews, and was very happy with those results.

Again, just because you don't get an interview doesn't mean the folks didn't like you; like docma said, it's just an indication that no matter how qualified and well-trained you are, you can't fit everywhere, and that's ok. It's initially hard not to take the rejections personally, but it's something that you'll learn to do over time (if you haven't already).

Edit: As for the # of applications to our site, I believe ours went up this year, although I don't know by what %.

Do you mind me asking when you applied?

min
I submitted on October 31. Given that their deadline was the 15th, it seems feasible that they still have some people left to notify - but who knows...

Rejection - University of Illinois at Chicago - sent via mass email
Bummer :shrug:

Rejection: Northeast Florida State Hospital
Sent via snail mail.

Jenni - Mind if I ask whether you applied to the child or adult tracks at UIC?

I had a few invites early on, but all has been quiet for me the last few days (which has been good for getting work done on some manuscripts!). UAB said they would notify by today at the latest - I know several people who applied but no one has heard a peep so far.

I had a few invites early on, but all has been quiet for me the last few days (which has been good for getting work done on some manuscripts!). UAB said they would notify by today at the latest - I know several people who applied but no one has heard a peep so far.

Hi Ollie123, I am on the same boat as you. Juts FYI, I also applied to UAB but still haven't heard anything! Good luck!

I applied to the adult track, but the email made it sound like it was to everyone:
"Thank you very much for your application to our internship program in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Illinois at Chicago. This year we reviewed 208 completed applications and selected 36 candidates to interview for the two tracks.

I am sorry to inform you that we will be unable to invite you to interview for a psychology internship position for the 2014-2015year. Unfortunately, we are unable to interview all of the individuals who provided outstanding applications. We want you to know that we very much appreciate your application to our program and wish you the best luck in your career."

Sorry to hear, jennigold. :(

Ollie, would you mind sharing the places where you got invites (you can PM me if you'd prefer)? Thanks!

Huh.

Well sorry to hear it - that was one I was actually expecting a rejection from since they never interview people from my program. Maybe a second mass email is coming....

Sorry to hear, jennigold. :(

Ollie, would you mind sharing the places where you got invites (you can PM me if you'd prefer)? Thanks!
Thanks Cara - this was the first I've heard from anywhere. its definitely a bummer, but it feels good to be able to at least KNOW something!
Ollie, I second that - we have 6 common sites, so I'd love to know if you could add me to that PM!

Huh.

Well sorry to hear it - that was one I was actually expecting a rejection from since they never interview people from my program. Maybe a second mass email is coming....
..or maybe your invite is coming! But, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up because this process is already horrible enough as it is!

I haven't been a part of this discussion that long, but I wanted to say I really appreciate the feedback that people who have already been through this process have given us. It is still very early in this process! I haven't heard back from any of the sites I applied to and keep telling myself to wait and that no news is good news. I'm sure it will get harder as we get closer to December. Until then, I hope to continue emphasizing self-care and anticipate getting some rejections since there's literally nothing else we can do at this point.

Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine (Adult Track) - personalized email 11/20 for interview dates January 3, 6, & 10

Rejection: Northeast Florida State Hospital
Sent via snail mail.

Gosh, these things can come via snail mail too?!?!?! Please don't tell me that! Now I will compulsively be refreshing my email, checking my phone despite it being on the loudest ring settings ever (mind you, it was always on silent before this whole process began...) and running down 2 flights of stairs to check the mail??? I'm starting to think I can't handle this!!!
:boom:
I have a flare for drama... just kidding... a little. 2 rejections in, so I started looking for a :luck: Fingers crossed! Best of luck to everyone!!

Last edited:

I originally had today in my spreadsheet as well, but when I revisited their APPIC directory page, I noticed it now says Nov 22nd. Boo I was looking forward to an answer today ..

Last edited:
Well said. I know a few folks who applied to 20+ sites and landed 15+ interviews, and even after turning down multiple offers, they were exhausted.

This.

I do not envy anyone going through this process because it was a rough few months.

*Edit*

I also wanted to post a useful PDF that I came across a few years back that some have found quite helpful: http://cas.umkc.edu/psychology/grad/files/InternshipGuide.pdf I did not create it nor do I know the program/author.

Last edited:
UIC Interview Invite - Adult Track: January 10th and January 24th via mass email.

Gosh, these things can come via snail mail too?!?!?! Please don't tell me that! Now I will compulsively be refreshing my email, checking my phone despite it being on the loudest ring settings ever (mind you, it was always on silent before this whole process began...) and running down 2 flights of stairs to check the mail??? I'm starting to think I can't handle this!!!
:boom:
I have a flare for drama... just kidding... a little. 2 rejections in, so I started looking for a :luck: Fingers crossed! Best of luck to everyone!!

Lol! Unfortunately, YES. Got it on Tuesday and for about 2 seconds I was extremely excited...then I felt how thin it was and reality hit. :(

University of Alabama - Birmingham Adult Track - interviews Dec 6th and January 3rd - via mass email.

Also UAB adult :)... spoke too soon a few posts back evidently. My first response, so excited!!