2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, I would be surprised if they had four unfilled slots (as opposed to new positions). They invited 10 applicants for every 1 position they had. Maybe they were very stingy about who they ranked?

Yeah, maybe they either got additional funding, or the funding for those slots was still up in the air prior to finalizing their ranking list, but then became available afterward.

...or, given the overlap this year, maybe a bunch of folks over there on the west coast who interviewed with Tacoma ended up pulling out of the APPIC match in favor of CAPIC?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who didn't match, try not to beat up on yourselves too much. I didn't match on my first go around, but things still turned out okay in the end. It'll sting for awhile, but know that this can just be a bump in the road.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, maybe they either got additional funding, or the funding for those slots was still up in the air prior to finalizing their ranking list, but then became available afterward.

...or, given the overlap this year, maybe a bunch of folks over there on the west coast who interviewed with Tacoma ended up pulling out of the APPIC match in favor of CAPIC?

If they opted out of an APA accredited VA internship to go CAPIC, it would be a terrible, terrible career decision.

Not only did I not match but 3/4 of the sites I ranked have Phase 2 openings. One has 2 openings. I'm not clear on how that works.

I think that this means that they didn't rank you. Usually this happens when people don't come across well during the interview (correct me if I am wrong here guys).

Either way, you may want to talk to a professor, etc. to get feedback on this and advice for next time. I wish you all the best in Phase II.

Anyone have an idea what the "Crown Point" open rotation is at the Jesse Brown VAMC? It's not in their brochure. I think it's a CBOC location.

Anyone have an idea what the "Crown Point" open rotation is at the Jesse Brown VAMC? It's not in their brochure. I think it's a CBOC location.

Yes, it is. It's not in the brochure but there's some info on it in the online directory entry. It's about an hour or so south of Chicago in NW Indiana, and it's a HUGE CBOC. I interviewed there and really liked the interviewers, and I ranked the site in my top 5. I thought the interviewers seemed really kind, supportive and excited about having an intern. The primary supervisors are really into evidence-based practice. Heavy emphasis on trauma work.

I wonder if they've lost some funding, or if there's a glitch in the Phase II list, actually. I remember something like that happened last year. I'm also curious about the particular site you're talking about -- I got invited there last year, didn't match, and didn't get invited back this year, so I'm just wondering what's going on.
It is also possible that there are positions that were not available for Match I have been funded for Match II. So I think it is possible that one could be ranked, but not matched to positions that were open in Match 1--and then new positions are available in Match II. If someone did not match in I, they should definitely inquire if they are a viable applicant for II.

Matched to my #1 site last year. SOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, it is. It's not in the brochure but there's some info on it in the online directory entry. It's about an hour or so south of Chicago in NW Indiana, and it's a HUGE CBOC. I interviewed there and really liked the interviewers, and I ranked the site in my top 5. I thought the interviewers seemed really kind, supportive and excited about having an intern. The primary supervisors are really into evidence-based practice. Heavy emphasis on trauma work.

Thanks for this information!!

matched at my 2nd choice and I don't have to move! Although it would have been nice to go back home. Congrats to everybody who matched today! I'm pulling for the rest of you going through phase II. You've got us cheering you on!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else unable to stop rereading their Match email?

Is anyone else unable to stop rereading their Match email?

I read mine about 678 times. In fact, I still have the Match email from last year. Ill most likely frame it some day :) lol

Are phase II sites already up? Or is it too early for that?

So... I matched to my #2 (which was really just tied with the official #1 but got bumped because of a slightly longer commute). I needed to sleep and recuperate from long sleepless nights before posting... ;)

Nothing but the best wishes for those out there going for match 2. Your strength and perseverance is not overlooked!

Reactions: 4 users
So now I am starting to think more about post-doc, is anyone ready for that conversation??? Maybe I'm a masochist, but I'm thinking about it more and more now that I know where I'm headed for internship. I have one question that I am sure can easily be answered once I'm on internship but I really can't wait. I am curious how the process works with the post-doc match versus programs that just offer the post doc position? If you apply for a post-doc in the match and interview there but are then offered a position that is not part of the match do you either accept and withdraw from the match or gamble with the match? I am specifically going to be applying for neuro post-docs and am under the impression the process may be different with APPCN sites involved versus non-APPCN member sites? Is anyone willing to explain this process to me or maybe just PM me so we don't take this thread completely off topic? Although in my mind it's relevant :) thanks!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to those who are going through Phase II. Sending all of you positive vibes and energy!

Reactions: 1 user
So now I am starting to think more about post-doc, is anyone ready for that conversation??? Maybe I'm a masochist, but I'm thinking about it more and more now that I know where I'm headed for internship. I have one question that I am sure can easily be answered once I'm on internship but I really can't wait. I am curious how the process works with the post-doc match versus programs that just offer the post doc position? If you apply for a post-doc in the match and interview there but are then offered a position that is not part of the match do you either accept and withdraw from the match or gamble with the match? I am specifically going to be applying for neuro post-docs and am under the impression the process may be different with APPCN sites involved versus non-APPCN member sites? Is anyone willing to explain this process to me or maybe just PM me so we don't take this thread completely off topic? Although in my mind it's relevant :) thanks!!!

There's some info in the postdoc thread regarding this, but I'll shoot you a PM to explain it in a bit more depth as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else match to one of their lowest-ranked sites and, as a result, feel kind of bad about themselves since apparently all of the other sites skipped over them? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I matched and excited about my site, but the fact that apparently they had to go so far down my ranking list is making me feel pretty lousy about my professional qualifications. And therefore I'm definitely doubting my competitiveness for post-docs/jobs next year.

Last edited:
Did anyone else match to one of their lowest-ranked sites and, as a result, feel kind of bad about themselves since apparently all of the other sites skipped over them? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I matched and excited about my site, but the fact that apparently they had to go so far down my ranking list is making me feel pretty lousy about my professional qualifications. And therefore I'm definitely doubting my competitiveness for post-docs/jobs next year.

Not to invalidate your feelings, but maybe just hold on to the joy of matching for a few more days before letting the self-doubt creep in. We all have it but also need some respite from it :)

I'd second what G Costanza said, and would add in that there's really no telling how competitive you were at the sites higher up on your list--perhaps at every single one of them, you were just one spot away from getting matched. I can say that at my own training site, of the folks I reviewed and helped rank for neuro, we would've been happy to get any of them, and they're all likely going to be highly competitive for fellowship (just as they were all highly competitive for internship).

Cara...not to minimize your inquiry, but for whatever it is worth...don't forget you were ranked #1 for where you were matched - so they wanted you badly :bow:, even though you personally felt other sites were a better match for you. No matter what ranking order, that's a good feeling to be highly desired by an internship site.

I remember thinking of that 70s song by Crosby, Stills and Nash whenever I got a rejection for an interview: "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with..." I sure did love the hell out the sites where I did interview and quickly forgot about the others to preserve 'ego-strength' (Note to those entering Phase II...it's the imbalance, continue being kind to yourselves!). However, I suppose we're all in the same boat of now figuring out how to make ourselves more competitive for post-doc/jobs. I agree with the others...plan ahead, but savor this victory!

Last edited:
I feel the same way. It seems the only one's posting about rank were the ones who matched to #1 and #2 choices. So that may be contributing to feeling like the only ones who got lower ranked spots. I think what we are feeling is normal because when I talked to an intern at an interview she said that we prepare ourselves for matching at a highly ranked position or even not matching at all. But we do not prepare ourselves for matching lower down our rank list. At the time I thought it was selfish and ungrateful for her to say so but here I am feeling the same way and unable to talk to anyone about it. We put so much into this process that it's no wonder we might feel some loss and insecurity.

When I got my email I imagine I had the same reaction that others who didn't match had. It was to the point that I briefly considered declining the offer and either going to phase ii or waiting. But my husband sat me down and reminded me that I really liked the site I matched to even though it wasn't my "dream site" and we'd be close (only 2 hours away).

So I am filling my days grieving the sites that could have been and reminding myself how lucky I am. I can still get the experiences I wanted on post doc and I might really love the site I matched to.

I am totally there with you on this one. I too matched really low on my list and have been surprisingly disappointed and the self concept has taken quite a bit of a beating. I was expecting to either match to my top 3, or not match at all (based on previous applicant stats) and had not prepared myself for the low match. Like you, I am happy I matched but can't seem to shake off the 'what is wrong with me' vibe. I contacted my dct and adviser and they seemed surprised/ disappointed too and emphasized how competitive the process is. My program had us do many of mock interviews, gave us lots of feedback on essays, applications, etc. (there were only 4 of us applying this year... I'm from a small-ish PhD program), and I felt prepared and somewhat confident. I will be meeting my dct next week and might talk to her about approaching sites I ranked higher and seeing if they had any feedback that would help my future applications (post-doc/ jobs), and also get a sense of why I was not ranked higher at those sites. I have been really stressing out the past few days about what I could have done wrong, and the only thing that I think will help resolve that is getting accurate feedback. I hope you (and I) are able to move forward without letting this hiccup get in the way of all future applications/ interviews. Good luck to you on internship! Also, to those of you reading this who did not match, I am sorry for your frustration and pain. The imbalance is disgusting and I remain disappointed in the APA for not doing a better job regulating the system.

Last edited:
I have been wallowing and while I do wish everyone the best of success, there is comfort in knowing I am not the only one grieving. Now if I can just get up the courage to face cover letters ....

I feel the same way. It seems the only one's posting about rank were the ones who matched to #1 and #2 choices. So that may be contributing to feeling like the only ones who got lower ranked spots. I think what we are feeling is normal because when I talked to an intern at an interview she said that we prepare ourselves for matching at a highly ranked position or even not matching at all. But we do not prepare ourselves for matching lower down our rank list. At the time I thought it was selfish and ungrateful for her to say so but here I am feeling the same way and unable to talk to anyone about it. We put so much into this process that it's no wonder we might feel some loss and insecurity.

When I got my email I imagine I had the same reaction that others who didn't match had. It was to the point that I briefly considered declining the offer and either going to phase ii or waiting. But my husband sat me down and reminded me that I really liked the site I matched to even though it wasn't my "dream site" and we'd be close (only 2 hours away).

So I am filling my days grieving the sites that could have been and reminding myself how lucky I am. I can still get the experiences I wanted on post doc and I might really love the site I matched to.

That's exactly how I felt when I opened the email. Glad to know, I was not the only one :)

Yeah, I actually really like the site so I was more just shocked when I opened the email. I'm just worried because people who seek my desired career path (academia) often follow a certain internship trajectory and now I'm not really on it. Seeing APPIC's stats that only 1% of applicants matched to the same ranking that I did also made me feel worse about it. Glad to know that I'm not alone in questioning myself despite the fact that I matched.

Also, thanks to everyone above for the "pep" talk--I'm really trying to focus on feeling happy about matching and excited about the future.

I can say that once you participate in a couple internship selection/ranking meetings on "the other side," you really gain a new appreciation for the level of parity amongst applicants. I'd imagine that at most sites (including mine), folks just outside the top "tier" could easily have been bumped up and vice-versa. When folks say that odds are, it's a systems-related issue rather than a qualifications-related one, especially in situations like those mentioned above, they're generally telling the truth.

That's exactly how I felt when I opened the email. Glad to know, I was not the only one :)

I matched at my #10 site out of 10 and I too feel a great deal of disappointment as if I didn't match. It really killed my confidence, It made me think "what was it about me in the interviews that made me unattractive 9 out of 10 times." Some of my thoughts too were to reject the site and go to phase II, but I think my school would kill me lol! I also think that I am lucky that I matched and don't have to go through this awful process again.

My sincerest congratulations to those of you that matched at your top choices and my sincerest apologies to those of you that are reading my whining and have to go to phase II.

I have been wallowing and while I do wish everyone the best of success, there is comfort in knowing I am not the only one grieving. Now if I can just get up the courage to face cover letters ....
AussieJD, in my life, I've fallen way too many times...courage is something I wear on my sleeve now b/c when you feel like you don't have anything, you have nothing to lose. I'm PM'ing you & aly cat now...

Last edited:
I am reading these and I am sorry that people are disappointed that they matched low on their preferred list. I am also thinking of what I know of these people and I do know that some of you applied only to very competitive programs.

I matched higher on my list, but I doubt that the majority of you would be happy with the places that I chose as they are not in any fast track trajectory. They match me and my views and apparently one site and I agreed that it was a match.

I know full well that if I had applied to very competitive programs, I would most likely not have matched at all. Even a match low on my list would have been astonishing!

So, while you are having the doubts, it might help if you moderate these thoughts with the idea that out of the top 10% of the field, you matched at maybe the top 6% level. Okay, it isn't the top 1% but, give yourself a break!

Maybe they just were not fond of the color shirt you wore or they liked the color of the shirt next to you 0.005% better. It really is not necessarily about your skills and abilities.

Anyone who interviewed at Kansas State in Phase I care to weigh in on why you think they have 4 of 4 positions still open in Phase II? Feel free to PM if you wish.

I matched at my #10 site out of 10 and I too feel a great deal of disappointment as if I didn't match. It really killed my confidence, It made me think "what was it about me in the interviews that made me unattractive 9 out of 10 times." Some of my thoughts too were to reject the site and go to phase II, but I think my school would kill me lol! I also think that I am lucky that I matched and don't have to go through this awful process again.

My sincerest congratulations to those of you that matched at your top choices and my sincerest apologies to those of you that are reading my whining and have to go to phase II.

This process is so broken and crazy that it does induce ruminations like these and part of your work now is to step back and step up and see how this process is NOT personal in important ways. To focus on, as another poster said, ""what was it about me in the interviews that made me unattractive 9 out of 10 times." is to really distort the process. You were not "unattractive" if you were not ranked first. The ranking process in not a beauty or talent contest (but can feel like it I know). It is about the elusive "fit". You cannot be all things to anyone site (but may be for the one you did match with.) You can not speak all langauges, or have all range of experience. Perhaps someone else did their dissertation on a topic you would hate but the site loved. There are a zillion elements that contribute to "fit". And you are not in control of so many factors that shape that, so taking it as a personal failure is sabotaging the joy you may be able to take (and experience), in the site you did match with. They wanted YOU. And what you think a site is and what it actually turns out to be are different (even if it was #1). Disappointment is a feeling...but only a feeling, not a fact. The fact is that you matched and will progress toward your degree. And post-docs are a very different sport. I say this from the perspective of having trained students who didn't match or matched "low" and went on to exactly the post-doc they aspired to. Letting go of things you've dreamed of IS hard. But getting stuck on past dreams will keep you from thriving in the present and wither your confidence. Eat some chocolate and let it go.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I actually really like the site so I was more just shocked when I opened the email. I'm just worried because people who seek my desired career path (academia) often follow a certain internship trajectory and now I'm not really on it. Seeing APPIC's stats that only 1% of applicants matched to the same ranking that I did also made me feel worse about it. Glad to know that I'm not alone in questioning myself despite the fact that I matched.

Also, thanks to everyone above for the "pep" talk--I'm really trying to focus on feeling happy about matching and excited about the future.
I really really relate. I essentially ended up at a site where I had literally no competition, because it was my school's consortium, and I'm the only one who ranked them who didn't match higher on my list. So I could have been their lowest choice. Not good for the ego. But I remind myself that I am the same clinician I was a week ago. I know that my supervisors and colleagues are surprised - I was repeatedly told I was sure to match somewhere highly prestigious (which I kept telling them wasn't true, but did they listen?). It's hard to deal with feeling "not-chosen" but in a couple of cases I suspect (though I will never know) that I was very close and fell victim to the "not more than one from a given school" issue where peers had better connections. I am focusing on the excellent training I will get, and the wonderful "real world implications" of getting this match - in terms of family, etc.
You're not alone, by a long shot. I'm also in the 1%, and it was really hard to grapple with at first. I'm still processing, though I feel mostly ok now, albeit with a sore and bruised ego.

Last edited:
Just wanted to tell people that I'm feeling MUCH better now. Thanks for the emotional support!

I heard some posters mention considering declining an offer from Phase I and going on to Phase II. Is this possible? I thought we were contractually bound to follow through on the match...

Just wanted to tell people that I'm feeling MUCH better now. Thanks for the emotional support!

I know where you matched and you will be fine. Its a bit more challenging to stay productive at places that aren't as research-focused, but don't worry about it being a barrier in the future. Its just a year and chances of getting much research done even at Brown, MUSC, etc. is pretty low. I know plenty of people with R1 gigs who went to equivalent or less research-focused internships. Post-docs are plentiful and for whatever reason it seems a completely different ballgame than internship with completely different expectations/standards. I know plenty of people on an academic path who struggle with the internship debacle. I have yet to hear of a single one who can't find a decent post-doc (barring those with severe geographic limitations). Most ended up choosing among multiple solid offers.

So I've been wondering if anyone on here matched where I am going. Did anyone match to a site in North Carolina? If so, want to PM me?

So I've been wondering if anyone on here matched where I am going. Did anyone match to a site in North Carolina? If so, want to PM me?
Oh this could be fun! Anyone match to a VA in Southern California? PM me!

I heard some posters mention considering declining an offer from Phase I and going on to Phase II. Is this possible? I thought we were contractually bound to follow through on the match...

If you matched in Phase I, you can't decline the offer. Match results are binding. Under very unusual circumstances you can ask to be released, but when you re-apply the following year, you'll disclose that on your applications. http://www.appic.org/match/match-policies

I am assuming that any circumstance that would be so dire that APPIC would agree to release someone from their Phase I site, would be too dire for them to participate in Phase II less than a month later. Can you even access the Phase II application portal if you matched in Phase I?

Maybe we should start a separate thread for finding our internship cohort?

Perhaps a geographical cohort so we can collaborate and get support throughout the year? Btw, I'm in southern California. :cool:

So I did not match in my number one and for a while I kinda was weirded out but then I got the most amazing call from my site and they were so excited about matching with me and I decided it was time to "love the one I was with." Did a 180 and started to remember why this site was originally on my list and I went back and reviewed my notes from my interview. I fell in love all over again! So color me happy and excited.