2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you want an internship in the Federal Bureau of Prisons, today is your day to get to applying - three new spots added this morning. (I kinda wish I wanted to work in a prison - look at those stipends!)

Also a professor passed on to me that the Infant Child Learning Center at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn is looking for an intern. Site focuses on assessment, therapy, and advocacy. Doesn't look like they have any accreditation, though maybe it's a new site.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want an internship in the Federal Bureau of Prisons, today is your day to get to applying - three new spots added this morning. (I kinda wish I wanted to work in a prison - look at those stipends!)

Also a professor passed on to me that the Infant Child Learning Center at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn is looking for an intern. Site focuses on assessment, therapy, and advocacy. Doesn't look like they have any accreditation, though maybe it's a new site.

A friend of mine works in the federal prisons. She graduated only a few years ago is already making around 85k. Doesn't seem like a bad gig

A friend of mine works in the federal prisons. She graduated only a few years ago is already making around 85k. Doesn't seem like a bad gig

VA pay scale is the same but we go up to GS-13 for staff positions and GS-14 for admin positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
VA pay scale is the same but we go up to GS-13 for staff positions and GS-14 for admin positions.

Not to mention the other perks that go along with being a federal employee. Said friend of mine said she can retire after 20 years with a pension. Is that also the same in the VA?

Its 30, but depends on your age too of course. You get a certain percentage of pension at certain years of service if you are already over the retirment age.

The one in TX states that it is a generalist program with both inpatient and outpatient training. I think I may apply, although I do not have prison experience.

Two new sites added this morning, one of which is APA (Bowling Green State University Counseling Center). Good luck, peeps!

Did anyone hear from Bowling Green? I received an email asking for my DCT's verification letter.

Some people do not plan on working in prisons or the FBP but complete their internship at a correctional facility because they are APA accredited and provide good training. Similarly, a number of interns matched with VA do not stay with the VA after completing their internship. Two of the faculty from the program I completed did their internship at the Carswell facility in Fort Worth and they had no plans of staying in Corrections. Prison or Correctional Facilities may not be as competitive. Remember,the internship is a training requirement to graduate and is not employment.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Some people do not plan on working in prisons or the FBP but complete their internship at a correctional facility because they are APA accredited and provide good training. Similarly, a number of interns matched with VA do not stay with the VA after completing their internship. Two of the faculty from the program I completed did their internship at the Carswell facility in Fort Worth and they had no plans of staying in Corrections. Prison or Correctional Facilities may not be as competitive. Remember,the internship is a training requirement to graduate and is not employment.

Posted using SDN Mobile
I think it's important to correct some of this. The expectation is that you plan to stay with the BOP for a career. It's certainly not mandatory but it's absolutely expected. I don't say that to discourage anyone from applying (you might love it!) but just to make sure there is accurate information provided. While I'm at it, there are GS 13 and 14 positions and you retire after 20-25 years with a law enforcement bonus.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's important to correct some of this. The expectation is that you plan to stay with the BOP for a career. It's certainly not mandatory but it's absolutely expected. I don't say that to discourage anyone from applying (you might love it!) but just to make sure there is accurate information provided. While I'm at it, there are GS 13 and 14 positions and you retire after 20-25 years with a law enforcement bonus.

The OP indicated they wished they had interest in working in prisons because of these recent openings in the BOP. Because of the shortage of internships, a number of students do not match at a designation they desire. A number of applicants do not even entertain applying to certain places and they reduce their opportunities to match. For example, my internship had a heavy child emphasis and the other interns in my cohort who matched had limited interest in working with children and families but they matched with this site. Once they completed the internship, they both found jobs working with mostly an adult population. As you suggested, a person may be resistant to work in prison and discover they actually love working in this setting. Internship is required to graduate and then in many States a postdoctoral year of training is required. Rarely do interns stay and work as an employee once the degree is completed.

From my faculty members who did internships with the Carswell Facility, I believe they could have stayed with the BOP but they would have to relocate to different facilities and they wanted to to remain in a specific area.

Last edited:
Two more posted today, one is El Camino Hospital in California that is a brand new internship with two slots and one in Philadelphia that has one slot. Better hurry as they begin on July 1, 2014.

Last edited:
The OP indicated they wished they had interest in working in prisons because of these recent openings in the BOP. Because of the shortage of internships, a number of students do not match at a designation they desire. A number of applicants do not even entertain applying to certain places and they reduce their opportunities to match. For example, my internship had a heavy child emphasis and the other interns in my cohort who matched had limited interest in working with children and families but they matched with this site. Once they completed the internship, they both found jobs working with mostly an adult population. As you suggested, a person may be resistant to work in prison and discover they actually love working in this setting. Internship is required to graduate and then in many States a postdoctoral year of training is required. Rarely do interns stay and work as an employee once the degree is completed.

From my faculty members who did internships with the Carswell Facility, I believe they could have stayed with the BOP but they would have to relocate to different facilities and they wanted to to remain in a specific area.

Right, and as I said, "I don't say that to discourage anyone from applying (you might love it!) but just to make sure there is accurate information provided." I think it's important they know all the facts before they apply since some of it was inaccurate. The BOP is somewhat different from other internship sites in that the expectation is that their goal is to train future bureau psychologists (says it in all the internship info). They don't need prison experience and they don't need to know right now they absolutely want to work for the BOP. Many people don't stay. It's just something for anyone applying to be aware of. Not sure what the problem is here. Good luck to those still applying, those are some amazing sites that are left!

Wow, lots of food for thought! Thanks, everyone! I'm giving myself a break on thinking about this until Monday because one of my oldest friends is getting married tomorrow. :)

PS: Psychrat, I also got a request for a DCT verification from BGSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe one advantage to doing an internship at the BOP, VA, and IHS is that you can be licensed in any state. If you are offered a position when you graduate you may not need to do a postdoctoral training year. So, basically you could apply for licensure in Washington, Arizona,or Alabama and you would not need to complete a one-year postdoctoral training year. I believe DOD and the reserves are similar.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Wow, lots of food for thought! Thanks, everyone! I'm giving myself a break on thinking about this until Monday because one of my oldest friends is getting married tomorrow. :)

PS: Psychrat, I also got a request for a DCT verification from BGSU.

Have fun at the wedding. I went ahead and applied for the position at the women's prison in TX. I wonder how many applications they will get.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Did the people you know like working at Carswell? Did they have forensic experience before? What is the area like?

Did the people you know like working at Carswell? Did they have forensic experience before? What is the area like?

Yes they had a wonderful experience and some of the students in our program have completed their predoctoral internship at Carswell. One of the students from my program is now a full time psychologist at Carswell. It is highly classified and you have to pass many security checks for final approval for internship and employment. I think it is similar to the VA, IHS, and DOD where the President of the United States has to review and sign off on approval to work for BOP. Both of the faculty who completed their internship there back in the 90's had a psychodynamic orientation and were teaching psychodynamic therapy, projective assessment and objective assessment courses.

It is in West Fort Worth or an area called River Oaks. I have never been in the facility but it used to be a Military Base up until the 90's and now it is a Naval Reserve Base. I believe there are both a BOP Medical Center and Prison and also a DOD/VA prison as I believe they have VA internships near the BOP. I attended a presentation at one of the Conventions and I believe all of the Federal Women Inmates have their initial assessment at the BOP unit.

Some of the students in my program did a year-long practicum at the Carswell BOP and they were Matched for internship at the facility. I believe both of the faculty members did practicum rotations in corrections out in California, but they were originally from Texas and this is why they sought out internships in Texas. Fort Worth is really growing and there are many entertainment options and housing options. I lived there for ten years and I have been away for two years doing my internship and postdoc. If you get this internship it will be a great opportunity. Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
It is highly classified and you have to pass many security checks for final approval for internship and employment. I think it is similar to the VA, IHS, and DOD where the President of the United States has to review and sign off on approval to work for BOP.

Just to clarify, this is not accurate. Not even close, actually.

There is no national "security clearance" issued with employment either with the department of Veteran Affairs, nor with Bureau of Prisons. The president also does not "sign off" on each employees file. I would hope he has better things to busy his time with. There IS a pretty extensive background check required for both, as well as extensive employment verification. You also have to have your fingerprints taken. This process takes sometime (usually a few months) but is not a problem so long as you dont have any felonies or any contraindicated legal history (drugs, etc). Both also review your credit history.

I believe there are both a BOP Medical Center and Prison and also a DOD/VA prison as I believe they have VA internships near the BOP

The Department of Veterans affairs/Veteran Health Administration is healthcare organization and does not have ties/affiliations with any correctional institutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hmm... I get these Federal Agencies mixed up sometimes. Seems that my relatives who have been hired by the Federal Government receive a letter of welcome with the current President letterhead and signature. One of my Colleagues is a Psychologist with the DOD in Germany as a civilian. He was retired Navy and went to college on GI bill and finished his PhD. It took over six months before he was approved and he did receive a letter from President George W. Bush that he showed me. This was some 15 years ago. Maybe different now.

Seems that a number of Psychologist either with the VA or DOD were at Carswell back in 2007 as some of them were doing postdoctoral psychopharmacology training on weekends and they would wear their uniforms to class. It seems that some of the psychologist at Carswell were either active duty or in the reserves.

Anyway, I am not claiming to be an expert on this subject. I just remember that the practicum students and interns from my program who were Matched with Carswell BOP site had to have a high security clearance.

Having never been in the military, I probably tend to group VA, DOD, BOP, and IHS all together as well as Army, Navy, and Air Force. Most of the Psychologists I have known who work for the VA are veterans. Isn't this common for VA jobs?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Yes they had a wonderful experience and some of the students in our program have completed their predoctoral internship at Carswell. One of the students from my program is now a full time psychologist at Carswell. It is highly classified and you have to pass many security checks for final approval for internship and employment. I think it is similar to the VA, IHS, and DOD where the President of the United States has to review and sign off on approval to work for BOP. Both of the faculty who completed their internship there back in the 90's had a psychodynamic orientation and were teaching psychodynamic therapy, projective assessment and objective assessment courses.

It is in West Fort Worth or an area called River Oaks. I have never been in the facility but it used to be a Military Base up until the 90's and now it is a Naval Reserve Base. I believe there are both a BOP Medical Center and Prison and also a DOD/VA prison as I believe they have VA internships near the BOP. I attended a presentation at one of the Conventions and I believe all of the Federal Women Inmates have their initial assessment at the BOP unit.

Some of the students in my program did a year-long practicum at the Carswell BOP and they were Matched for internship at the facility. I believe both of the faculty members did practicum rotations in corrections out in California, but they were originally from Texas and this is why they sought out internships in Texas. Fort Worth is really growing and there are many entertainment options and housing options. I lived there for ten years and I have been away for two years doing my internship and postdoc. If you get this internship it will be a great opportunity. Good Luck!!!

River Oaks is in Houston....?

River Oaks is in Houston....?

River Oaks is in Fort Worth, Texas in Tarrant County, Texas. There is a River Oaks residential area in Houston from my google search and it is a planned area where wealthy individuals live. The River Oaks in Tarrant County is an under served poor area that is mostly Hispanic. I should know, as I worked in River Oaks area of Fort Worth for four years and watched the jets fly over daily on trial missions. I used to eat at Subway where many Military would eat lunch wearing their uniforms.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Hmm... I get these Federal Agencies mixed up sometimes. Seems that my relatives who have been hired by the Federal Government receive a letter of welcome with the current President letterhead and signature. One of my Colleagues is a Psychologist with the DOD in Germany as a civilian. He was retired Navy and went to college on GI bill and finished his PhD. It took over six months before he was approved and he did receive a letter from President George W. Bush that he showed me. This was some 15 years ago. Maybe different now.

Seems that a number of Psychologist either with the VA or DOD were at Carswell back in 2007 as some of them were doing postdoctoral psychopharmacology training on weekends and they would wear their uniforms to class. It seems that some of the psychologist at Carswell were either active duty or in the reserves.

Anyway, I am not claiming to be an expert on this subject. I just remember that the practicum students and interns from my program who were Matched with Carswell BOP site had to have a high security clearance.

Having never been in the military, I probably tend to group VA, DOD, BOP, and IHS all together as well as Army, Navy, and Air Force. Most of the Psychologists I have known who work for the VA are veterans. Isn't this common for VA jobs?

Posted using SDN Mobile

If all you know is hearsay, and you aren't willing to even attempt to make distinction between competed different cabinets of of the United States Government (DOJ, VA, DoD), then perhaps you should cease providing "insights" on the subject. Seems reasonable to me.

And, no it is not very "common" to have ex-enlisted folks working as psychologists in the VA system. Are there some? Sure.

Well, I was not stating it as fact but just providing information that faculty and students who have worked at Carswell or did internships at Carswell. I guess this may be hearsay, my brother and friend who worked for the Federal Goverment seemed proud to show me the letter from the President when they were hired.

It seems that Carswell has gone through a number of changes historically. It seems that some of the psychologists I knew at that time were active military with immigration services at Carswell. General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin and Bell Helicopter have or had facilities at the base. If you have ever seen the area, it is in a huge valley. When the jets take off and land they seem to appear out of nowhere.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Well, I was not stating it as fact but just providing information that faculty and students who have worked at Carswell or did internships at Carswell. I guess this may be hearsay, my brother and friend who worked for the Federal Goverment seemed proud to show me the letter from the President when they were hired.

It seems that Carswell has gone through a number of changes historically. It seems that some of the psychologists I knew at that time were active military with immigration services at Carswell. General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin and Bell Helicopter have or had facilities at the base. If you have ever seen the area, it is in a huge valley. When the jets take off and land they seem to appear out of nowhere.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thats fine. But I suggest you cease stating incorrect facts about hiring process, as well as affiliations between institutions that do not exist.

In other words, if you tend to "get these Federal Agencies mixed up sometimes" and "probably tend to group VA, DOD, BOP, and IHS all together as well as Army, Navy, and Air Force"....then just keep your mouth shut on the subject.

Thats fine. But I suggest you cease stating incorrect facts about hiring process, as well as affiliations between institutions that do not exist.

In other words, if you tend to "get these Federal Agencies mixed up sometimes" and "probably tend to group VA, DOD, BOP, and IHS all together as well as Army, Navy, and Air Force"....then just keep your mouth shut on the subject.

Umm....I never claimed any of this to be factual, as I said "I believe." I have had family or friends who have received letters from the President. I do remember fellow students who Matched with Carswell really sweating it out until they received final approval letters after the background checks. People have different experiences and backgrounds on SDN and it is important to respect these differences. My opinion may be different from your opinion but this does not mean my opinion or your opinion is necessarily correct or factual. My friend who was a civilian psychologist with the DOD in Germany had indicated how difficult it was applying for this position and he was finally relieved after receiving his appointment letter and a letter from the President, as they arrived in different stages of the process. My guess it is a form letter sent out by the DOD to all new employees without the President actually signing each letter. Although it looked original and he had the letter framed. Things change as this was 15 years ago and there may be a different protocol now.

I guess you are implying I do a literature review on each topic before posting information? I was just posting information that I was aware of based on personal information from people I know who have worked at Carswell. It might be more polite to indicate your information about such topic while partaking in prosocial communication rather that claiming "that is inaccurate, or not even close to accurate." My opinion, as well as other's opinion need to be respected. In the broad spectrum or big picture scenario, it is difficult to make generalizations about other's opinions and it is uncalled for you to tell one poster or another poster "to keep their mouth shut."

Last edited:
No. No literature view is necessary here. Only common sense.

I'm suggesting not posting hiring process facts and other assorted speculations to would be applicants without knowing whether they are accurate. They were not. This is not a matter of opionion.

Last edited:

Do you mean Carswell as in the former name of the military base, or Carswell the prison? That might be where some confusion is coming from.

Do you mean Carswell as in the former name of the military base, or Carswell the prison? That might be where some confusion is coming from.

Carswell is a huge facility but I will say no more. Perhaps others will have factual information. I know at one time they would fly troops over to and back from Iraq or Afghanistan from Carwells everyday in huge propeller planes that had a slow takeoff and landing. It was quite a site to see them takeoff and land.

Myth, folklore, or legend about Carswell is commonly talked about as it has a very long history. I do not know when the BOP moved there so maybe others with facts may provide such information.

One myth is that the supposedly Aliens and wrecked flying saucer from Roswell, New Mexico were secretly trucked to Carswell at nighttime. Oh, sorry they were weather balloons!!

My Bad! :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Carswell is a huge facility but I will say no more. Perhaps others will have factual information. I know at one time they would fly troops over to and back from Iraq or Afghanistan from Carwells everyday in huge propeller planes that had a slow takeoff and landing. It was quite a site to see them takeoff and land.

Myth, folklore, or legend about Carswell is commonly talked about as it has a very long history. I do not know when the BOP moved there so maybe others with facts may provide such information.

One myth is that the supposedly Aliens and wrecked flying saucer from Boswell, New Mexico were secretly trucked to Carswell at nighttime. Oh, sorry they were weather balloons!!

My Bad! :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Ok. Ill straighten all this out. And then we can done with the matter.

This is little consequence to this discussion, but I still correct you. I think you are talking about Roswell, NM (not Boswell). And the myth is that the was shipped to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH. :)

I do think its important to point out that FMC-Carswell is prison medical center and associated prison camp. Its run by the BOP, which is a part of the Department of Justice. It has no association with the US military (Department of Defense). Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base (of which Carswell Field is part of) is located near by and is a separate entity entirely run by the Department of Defense.

Last edited:
Oh... Thanks for editing my misspelling. I already caught it and corrected it before you did. Do we need to call in the grammar police next? :)

Although Carswell has the separate DOD base and the separate BOP with interns in each area, I believe there is some overlap or interaction with staff and interns. I could be mistaken, but back in 2007 some of active military interns and post docs indicated some involvement with the BOP. There may have been a Military Hospital at Carswell at that time. At that time, several of the adjunct faculty in my program were psychologist with the Air Force and the BOP programs. Also, they both had private practice offices or were in a group practice. This was how our students were able to do practicum at the Carswell BOP and DOD for several years. One of the faculty members was deployed and the other one transferred to a different BOP. After that, our students did not do practicums at Carswell. Also, during that period two of our students matched with Carswell BOP and now one works as a psychologist for BOP.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
A good friend of mine just completed her internship at Carswell and absolutely loved it. She did have significant correctional and forensic-population experience prior and also was adamant about staying in the BOP. If there are any openings and you have the opportunity, go for it. You will get worked (potentially more than at the avg accredited internship site) so don't be surprised there (There's a reason those stipends are so high). If you're interested in sex offender treatment and/or assessment they have a great rotation.

A good friend of mine just completed her internship at Carswell and absolutely loved it. She did have significant correctional and forensic-population experience prior and also was adamant about staying in the BOP. If there are any openings and you have the opportunity, go for it. You will get worked (potentially more than at the avg accredited internship site) so don't be surprised there (There's a reason those stipends are so high). If you're interested in sex offender treatment and/or assessment they have a great rotation.
Hmmm, thanks. I think my major concern is that I had a forensic rotation and disliked it, but there were a lot of factors involved (such as the supervision and my general inexperience) that probably had an influence on that feeling. At any rate, I'm not sure I'm a good fit for them but it can never hurt to send in a CV.

Hmmm, thanks. I think my major concern is that I had a forensic rotation and disliked it, but there were a lot of factors involved (such as the supervision and my general inexperience) that probably had an influence on that feeling. At any rate, I'm not sure I'm a good fit for them but it can never hurt to send in a CV.

That is what I figured. I have no correctional experience but have a strong interest in women's health so we'll see.

I believe the internship is to gain experience! If you read their brochure, correctional experience and desire to work in BOP career is not required. Many of these internships select students with limited to no experience in their setting.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
I believe the internship is to gain experience! If you read their brochure, correctional experience and desire to work in BOP career is not required. Many of these internships select students with limited to no experience in their setting.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Carswell just contacted me and sent me some forms to fill out so they could perform a background check. They said that if I pass the background check, they will contact me tomorrow, and would like to set up an IN-PERSON interview.

Last edited:
Hmmm....I would see if you can get someone to teach your class and go to interview on Wednesday. They are very interested in you if they want to interview on short notice.

You might call the airline to see if you can get a discount. SW hub is in Dallas and they probable give you a discount if you tell them it is for an internship interview on short notice.

I can't tell you what to do, but I would not risk losing an interview or doing a phone interview instead.

On site interviews are required so they won't do a phone interview based on their brochure information.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
BOP in California -- FC - Terminal Island, near LA is advertising today for an opening after receiving more funding. It seems odd that many of the people who did not Match in phase I or II have such great opportunities opening up late in the year.

Ugh, I don't think that Phase II and III sites should require on-site interviews. Honestly, I don't even think Phase I sites should.

Ugh, I don't think that Phase II and III sites should require on-site interviews. Honestly, I don't even think Phase I sites should.

I just booked my airfare, rental car, and hotel- and it was quite pricey. I have never been to a prison before yet alone worked at one, so we'll see how it goes. If by the end of the day I feel like it would not be the place for me, I guess I would withdraw my application.

Last edited:
I just booked my airfare, rental car, and hotel- and it was quite pricey. I have never been to a prison before yet alone worked at one, so we'll see how it goes. If by the end of the day I feel like it would not be the place for me, I guess I would withdraw my application. I just have to be honest with myself and not be so drawn to the handsome stipend.

Leave any electronic devices in your car, you will most likely have to leave them at the front desk, like a cell phone.

Good luck!!

Carswell has also added a third spot.

Good luck, psychrat!

A word of caution, psychrat. You've indicated the one or two dates you may be interviewing (and who knows how many others are interviewing those days..you could be the only one for all you know), you have stated you teach courses, and you stated you have no experience in corrections. You also expressed concern about fit and that the stipend may a more motivating factor for you. Two things to keep in mind. 1) the number of individuals interviewing for this spot is likely few so the information you have expressed could be used to personally identify you and 2) you never know who reads these forums. Just a thought. I do wish you the best of luck on your interview.

A word of caution, psychrat. You've indicated the one or two dates you may be interviewing (and who knows how many others are interviewing those days..you could be the only one for all you know), you have stated you teach courses, and you stated you have no experience in corrections. You also expressed concern about fit and that the stipend may a more motivating factor for you. Two things to keep in mind. 1) the number of individuals interviewing for this spot is likely few so the information you have expressed could be used to personally identify you and 2) you never know who reads these forums. Just a thought. I do wish you the best of luck on your interview.

Thanks. I guess I am just used to sharing dates from phase I and II. When I mentioned the stipend, I meant that I need to be honest with myself if I feel like it would be a good match or not once I interview (of course I would not move across the country just for a stipend and an experience I felt that would not help me achieve my goals). Interviewing at any place and getting a feel for it is important to determine match I think.

Last edited:
did you decide to apply?
I did. As I said, I'm not sure if I'm a good fit for them, but I was very clear about my interests, and I figure I can leave that up to them to determine.

I did. As I said, I'm not sure if I'm a good fit for them, but I was very clear about my interests, and I figure I can leave that up to them to determine.

hey- it would be cool if we interned together. I was not expecting an interview at all because I thought they would write me off for not having forensic experience, but I do have a strong interest in women's health, substance use, and trauma. I was just reading a blog of a woman prisoner and it seems quite interesting.

I'll let you know how the interview process goes :)

My guess is what those types of interviews involve (background checks, integrity interviews, etc.) can't be done over the phone. Having just booked a cross-country flight out of necessity myself, I sympathize with all who have to do this so last minute.