2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's important to correct some of this. The expectation is that you plan to stay with the BOP for a career. It's certainly not mandatory but it's absolutely expected. I don't say that to discourage anyone from applying (you might love it!) but just to make sure there is accurate information provided. While I'm at it, there are GS 13 and 14 positions and you retire after 20-25 years with a law enforcement bonus.

LPPSYD is correct, most individuals who complete their internship with the BOP continue to work within the Feds -- all three of my supervisors did their internships (one did a postdoc with the BOP) with the BOP and now work at the facility they either did their practicum/internship/postdoc at. Plus, it's an awesome place to work -- a great opportunity to learn and see what severe mental illness looks like in a prison/correctional setting. I've been at my adv prac now for almost a year and I don't want to leave... I am going to miss it there SO much. I strongly encourage you to apply if you are interested in working with the BOP!

BOP in California -- FC - Terminal Island, near LA is advertising today for an opening after receiving more funding. It seems odd that many of the people who did not Match in phase I or II have such great opportunities opening up late in the year.

Agreed! These BOP sites are GOLD!

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview went well, but my father is freaking out saying that he hopes I do not match because he is afraid I will get hurt as a prison :oops:

My interview went well, but my father is freaking out saying that he hopes I do not match because he is afraid I will get hurt as a prison :oops:

I'm glad your interview went well! Were safety issues and incidence rates addressed at the interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the great interview! did you ever do home based services? that is way more dangerous in my opinion when you have no protection. I bet in the jail/prison it is so protected and staff is everywhere it is probably one of the safest places to work!

Remind him that you will be surrounded by well-armed men and probably way safer than on a college campus or in a school these days. Ultimately, there are more risks in private practice settings than prisons I think....

Reactions: 2 users
I'm glad your interview went well! Were safety issues and incidence rates addressed at the interview?

The supervisors I asked said that inmates rarely get violent with staff and more so with each other, so staff is most at risk if trying to break up a fight.

Congrats on the great interview! did you ever do home based services? that is way more dangerous in my opinion when you have no protection. I bet in the jail/prison it is so protected and staff is everywhere it is probably one of the safest places to work!

I did not home services when I worked as a case manager after undergrad and am going to have to agree with you.

Remind him that you will be surrounded by well-armed men and probably way safer than on a college campus or in a school these days. Ultimately, there are more risks in private practice settings than prisons I think....

Totally agree with this! Not many places where the entire institution comes running to your rescue at the push of a button, haha.

i worked on a prison ward this past year and had this same conversation with my dad :) my argument was that i felt safer there then outpatient because they didn't have access to weapons and there were a lot of staff ready to jump in need be- i used logical safety precautions that i'd use on any inpatient unit. the only weird thing i have to say was being a woman on an all male unit and pretty much all male staff- i never felt physically unsafe, but the dynamic took some getting used to and was at times frustrating

Did anyone hear anything from Bowling Green? I believe they are supposed to send out interview invites these next few days.

i worked on a prison ward this past year and had this same conversation with my dad :) my argument was that i felt safer there then outpatient because they didn't have access to weapons and there were a lot of staff ready to jump in need be- i used logical safety precautions that i'd use on any inpatient unit. the only weird thing i have to say was being a woman on an all male unit and pretty much all male staff- i never felt physically unsafe, but the dynamic took some getting used to and was at times frustrating

How did you like working at the prison? Is it something you want to continue to do?

I did like it a lot and hope to continue, possibly with more assessment experience. I did a lot of EBT with the patients there and found the work really gratifying- compared to other SPMI populations I have worked with, I noticed a lot of change in a shorter period of time. It was really challenging, but if you like SPMI (which I do, and tend to not be phased by much) you might like it a lot. Something I would suggest is getting a feel for the supervisors and how they view/handle your safety. There's so much variation in that area- also just logistics; where do you meet with patients, are there panic buttons, how big are the groups and are you expected to run them alone, staff to patient ratio, etc. The administration I worked with was protective of staff and safety was important to them- though there were a few times where I did have to be assertive and explain why I didn't feel comfortable doing something. Have you worked with SPMI/inpatient before?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did like it a lot and hope to continue, possibly with more assessment experience. I did a lot of EBT with the patients there and found the work really gratifying- compared to other SPMI populations I have worked with, I noticed a lot of change in a shorter period of time. It was really challenging, but if you like SPMI (which I do, and tend to not be phased by much) you might like it a lot. Something I would suggest is getting a feel for the supervisors and how they view/handle your safety. There's so much variation in that area- also just logistics; where do you meet with patients, are there panic buttons, how big are the groups and are you expected to run them alone, staff to patient ratio, etc. The administration I worked with was protective of staff and safety was important to them- though there were a few times where I did have to be assertive and explain why I didn't feel comfortable doing something. Have you worked with SPMI/inpatient before?

I do have two years of inpatient experience from before grad school, but I felt like most of it was teaching coping skills and medication management to prevent future hospitalization. I do like EBT so feel that would be a good experience. Staff does carry around panic buttons. I asked about groups and there are between 8-20 clients in each group. I was told that we first co-lead them and then are expected to lead them ourselves, which may be a little intimidating at first with 20 inmates, but probably something one could get used to. I believe that most of the groups are with the general population and non-violent offenders.

The supervisors I asked said that inmates rarely get violent with staff and more so with each other, so staff is most at risk if trying to break up a fight.

Agreed. There is also far more training dedicated to dealing with escalating events/fights/etc. than in a regular out-pt setting. There are also staff present specifically to deal with those types of situations.

Be thankful you don't do home evals…a friend of mine does case management and she sees/experiences all sorts of sketchy situations when she does a home visit. Social workers who do this work deserve raises, as it is far riskier than working in a prison or similar setting.

Agreed. There is also far more training dedicated to dealing with escalating events/fights/etc. than in a regular out-pt setting. There are also staff present specifically to deal with those types of situations.

Be thankful you don't do home evals…a friend of mine does case management and she sees/experiences all sorts of sketchy situations when she does a home visit. Social workers who do this work deserve raises, as it is far riskier than working in a prison or similar setting.
Oh man, I did a HBPC rotation. Definitely had to go to some to to nice areas of town and see some interesting things in the home.

I was a case manager years ago. When I did home visits – it was super scary! You have to be observant of your surroundings, but you don't want to appear frightened. It wasn't the clients I was visiting that scared me, because I knew them, but there would be crack dealers lurking around, addicts coming down from crack (this is particularly scary), and one time a bunch of guys started heading for my car after I parked in front of the apartment complex where my client lived. I picked up the phone to call somebody letting them know where I was at because I was so super scared, and as a result, I think they thought I was calling the police, and thankfully, they ran away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have two years of inpatient experience from before grad school, but I felt like most of it was teaching coping skills and medication management to prevent future hospitalization. I do like EBT so feel that would be a good experience. Staff does carry around panic buttons. I asked about groups and there are between 8-20 clients in each group. I was told that we first co-lead them and then are expected to lead them ourselves, which may be a little intimidating at first with 20 inmates, but probably something one could get used to. I believe that most of the groups are with the general population and non-violent offenders.

I was really worried about it being intimidating and was pleasantly surprised to find it was totally fine once I started. Our groups ran about 12 patients, and were both violent and non violent offenders. I think the inpatient experience in itself is helpful in just being exposed to a more severe population and as you and others have noted violence was mostly directed at other patients or non-clinical staff who hadn't been trained in crisis work to the level we are.

Another new APA-accredited site added today - University of Delaware Center for Counseling and Student Development. We've had students at UDel as a practicum site and people have really loved it.

Another new APA-accredited site added today - University of Delaware Center for Counseling and Student Development. We've had students at UDel as a practicum site and people have really loved it.

I am going to apply, but I think this is my last try. I need to begin to accept the fact that I am probably going to have to go through this whole process again in the fall.

I am going to apply, but I think this is my last try. I need to begin to accept the fact that I am probably going to have to go through this whole process again in the fall.

when did the prison say they would let you know by?

By the end of the week so it is not looking good. They interviewed more people this week.

Did they do finger printing and drug screening and have you sign for FBI background check? For these types of positions, approval may have to go through phases.

They could make offer based on background check. This may take more time than a routine background check for typical jobs. I would not give up yet.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Did they do finger printing and drug screening and have you sign for FBI background check? For these types of positions, approval may have to go through phases.

They could make offer based on background check. This may take more time than a routine background check for typical jobs. I would not give up yet.

Posted using SDN Mobile

FBI background check? I don't think prisons do this. If you are going to be a field agent for the FBI, their background check is hard core, and takes a long time. Like a year. The background check for the BOP is pretty intensive yes, but it's not the same as what the FBI does.

Last edited by a moderator:
FBI background check? I didn't know prisons did this. If you are going to be a field agent for the FBI, their background check is hard core, and takes a long time. Like a year.

The State Corrections jobs I have had...normally they refer it to a FBI background check for finger printing. It is more involved than State Police background check. This is not the same background check to be an FBI agent.

Since they are just finishing interviewing, my guess is they won't have decisions for several weeks.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
The State Corrections jobs I have had...normally they refer it to a FBI background check for finger printing. This is not the same background check to be an FBI agent. It is much more involved. Since they are just finishing interviewing, my guess is they won't have decisions for several weeks.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Maybe comparable to what an analyst for the FBI would go through? No polygraph, no digging through your medical records, etc.

By the end of the week so it is not looking good. They interviewed more people this week.

No news is good news because this means you are still being considered. If you were not considered a good candidate after the interview they may have already sent a rejection email. One of my friends applied with the VA and it was close to six months before he was given a job offer. Due to the delay he had already accepted another position.

Posted using SDN Mobile

One more APA site (and I think you like health, psychrat). Eastern Virginia Medical School was approved for three internships in Integrated Primary Care. An announcement was just posted to Div 38 list-serv, but I expect they'll have it up on the clearinghouse soon. (If you need the announcement sooner just message me.)

The insane part? Their year is supposed to start July 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hm. So EVMS hasn't hit the clearinghouse yet, but an opening at Children's Hospital of Orange County has. (Guessing anyone who got integrated primary care funding will be popping up this week!) They have a considerably less wild start date of August 25.

Reactions: 1 users
App submitted to EVMS. Anyone else? I've already moved 1,000 miles to join my hubs, started a new externship, and resolved myself to re-applying next cycle. I literally just unpacked my last box on Friday and thus am a little terrified that this could happen.

App submitted to EVMS. Anyone else? I've already moved 1,000 miles to join my hubs, started a new externship, and resolved myself to re-applying next cycle. I literally just unpacked my last box on Friday and thus am a little terrified that this could happen.
Congrats on joining your husband, even if you end up having to go through this horrid process again--I know from experience how hard LDRs can be.

I've submitted mine. It sounds like they are hoping to turn things around quickly, so we'll see.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'm curious - is the drug screening a urinalysis, questionnaire, or both?

Every job I have had the last 15 years requires a UA... You go to a lab normally. My last job in a prison require a physical where I had to run on thread mill and had to actually lift 60 IB or it was the same physical the guards had to pass. :) you have to give up the party life for these jobs.

Posted using SDN Mobile

New posting in MA for a APA accredited part-time two-year internship at the Carson Center . They just received a HRSA grant and it appears that they have 5-7 interns on site due to 2-year 20 hour per week time span.

This sounds like a wonderful site and having it part-time over 2-years would be great for many interns who have family obligations or fulltime jobs.

Last edited:

I am on the fence about applying. It sounds like a good one but I will be away at the beginning of July and will be doing a week long training at APA at the end of July. I wonder if they could offer any flexibility in the start date. When do you think it will be listed on appic?

Just a background check before the interview but if hired fingerprinting and drug screening will be done

I thought that APA accredited internships had to be full time? Just curious about that one.

Last edited:
Maybe because it's two years long they can do that? Or perhaps the internship was created before the rule was put into place and they were grandfathered in (there definitely are not many part-time sites out there!).

I am on the fence about applying. It sounds like a good one but I will be away at the beginning of July and will be doing a week long training at APA at the end of July. I wonder if they could offer any flexibility in the start date. When do you think it will be listed on appic?
I applied and the co-director responded to my e-mail verifying that I understood I was expected to report July 1. I'm really not sure that this is feasible but I'm not going to worry about it unless I have to.

I don't think it's fair for a site to expect that, personally.

Last edited:
If they are getting HRSA grant funding, they are required to begin on July 1, 2014. The Carson Center has a deadline of June 30, 2014. We applied for the HRSA grant two-years ago and we were prepared to start our cohort a month early if we were approved for the HRSA grant. I think they would be able to make an exception for the extra person starting several weeks late based on late notice of this opening.

I don't think it's fair for a site to expect that, personally.

and there is no flexibility, as I just emailed to inquire. Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be. It seems very impractical for someone to find an apartment, break a lease (which would be my case), move, and give notice at their current position by next Tuesday, which is the start date. I applied for the University of Delaware, which has a much more reasonable start date, so we will see.

And they haven't even notified, right? Just asked for applications? I don't even know how that's humanly possible unless you already live in the area.

And they haven't even notified, right? Just asked for applications? I don't even know how that's humanly possible unless you already live in the area.

I guess they are interviewing people this week to begin next week. I am assuming it will be mostly local people who apply. They didn't even list it in APPIC yet, which seems odd to me, but I guess it is not required.