PhD/PsyD 2013-2014 APPIC (internship)) statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara susanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2014PhaseI.aspx

Phase I stats are posted. Not sure if people want to discuss in a separate thread, but FYI.

That's good. Two years of slow reversal of the trend.

I'd looked at the data by program in recent years for a project a while ago. It looks like several of the massive NCSPP programs really did pull back their enrollments, and this has helped. The problem is that a few of the big schools (Adler springs to mind as a particularly bad one, but there are others) have actually brought enrollments UP, erasing the benefit of the responsibility of other programs.

Reactions: 1 users
woops! edit, read down below.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Two points:

1. Match % rates do not include students who withdrew from the match process. While there are probably a handful of cases that withdrew because of dissertation problems or personal reasons, a large % most likely withdrew because they didn't get any interviews. When looking at the overall impact on the field of the match imbalance, those 361 applicants that withdrew (8.3% of the original # of registered applicants) need to be considered in the discussion.

2. It's important to remember that while the overall # of applicants went down, that doesn't mean the total # of eligible students decreased, as a certain # bypassed the APPIC process all together and will seek out CAPIC or similar internship options. I'd like to see what kind of #'s are involved with CAPIC and similar, as I'd guess that the numbers have gone up for this year.

Does CAPIC even keep match statistics? Or are those conveniently black boxed so people won't see how terrible it is?

Approximately 2-3 years ago I stumbled across the #'s from a powerpoint presentation, but I think they are generally hard to find publicly. If someone has access to them (any years), please PM me.

Approximately 2-3 years ago I stumbled across the #'s from a powerpoint presentation, but I think they are generally hard to find publicly. If someone has access to them (any years), please PM me.

I've tried to get them, but I'm probably the last person they'd give them to.

Reactions: 2 users
Two points:
2. It's important to remember that while the overall # of applicants went down, that doesn't mean the total # of eligible students decreased, as a certain # bypassed the APPIC process all together and will seek out CAPIC or similar internship options. I'd like to see what kind of #'s are involved with CAPIC and similar, as I'd guess that the numbers have gone up for this year.

I think this is probably true - I'd like to see the Phase I CAPIC numbers. In the past, applicants could participate in both the Phase I for both CAPIC and APPIC. However, this year CAPIC changed its timeline, so that applicants could not participate in the Phase I of both matches - they had to chose. I imagine that some people who were determined to stay in California, whose career plans do not hinge on APA accreditation (e.g. who are planning on private practice or community mental health), and/or who did not receive any APPIC interviews may have chosen CAPIC so that they could get the best choice of CAPIC sites, rather than the CAPIC Phase II leftovers.

Could anyone else see all email addresses of applicants from your own school in the email inviting us to participate in the match survey? Not that big of a deal except we have multiple programs/colleges in our university that have applicants applying. Just seems a bit unprofessional.

Could anyone else see all email addresses of applicants from your own school in the email inviting us to participate in the match survey? Not that big of a deal except we have multiple programs/colleges in our university that have applicants applying. Just seems a bit unprofessional.

I don't see any emails on mine.

I don't see any on mine.