2013-2014 Application Status - Schools, Interviews and Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is anyone having trouble contacting the admission staff of SAmuel merritt?

You can call Andre at 510.869.6511. He is the admissions rep and usually gets back to you quickly if you leave a message.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I received an interview invite from Barry, but I am having a hard time getting in contact with them. I emailed their podiatry email address, heard no answer, then the next day left a phone message for Amy Major (from admissions) on Tuesday.

Anyone else having a hard time setting up an interview with Barry? Are they known to take this long?

Thanks!!

Yes, it took forever to get in touch with her. The best time to leave her an e-mail is early in the morning and just be persistent with it. One of the longer processes I've dealt with!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone already been accepted to Scholl, Western, Kent and Temple?
These are my top 4 choices and I'm in the process of deciding which one to go to.

I've heard a lot of students at other schools bashing Western because it's new and the curriculum seems more challenging than other schools... has anyone else heard anything different?

Last edited:
Yes, it took forever to get in touch with her. The best time to leave her an e-mail is early in the morning and just be persistent with it. One of the longer processes I've dealt with!
Thanks she finally emailed me back and I reserved a seat to interview in January. Im pretty pumped to visit FL (I'm from NJ)!! Have you interviewed there yet??

AZPOD: BIH91 (Email 9/9/2013, Interview 10/11/2013, Accepted 10/24/2013)

Barry University: dootfoctor (Email 9/13/2013, Interview 9/20/2013, Accepted 9/23/2013)

CSPM - Samuel Merritt: Heyitssandie (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 9/18/2013, Accepted 9/23/2013)

DMU: duckied123 (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 9/30/2013, Accepted 10/11/2013); allsop 21 (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 9/30/2013, Accepted 10/11/2013); Skibum43 (Email 10/2/2013, Interview 11/1/2013, Accepted 11/06/2013); Greenri (Email 11/18/13, Interview 11/22/13, Accepted 11/26/13)

Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine: allsop21 (Email 9/13/2013), Interview 9/30/2013, Accepted 10/9/2013), BIH91 (Email 9/5/2013), Interview 10/14/2013, Accepted 10/21/2013)

New York College of Podiatric Medicine: lzu8413 (Email 9/9/2013, Interview 10/2/2013, Accepted 10/10/2013), BCAA (Email 9/9/2013, Interview 10/01/2013, Accepted 10/09/2013) allsop21 (9/9/2013, Interview 10/24/2013), timalina (Email 9/9/13, Interview 10/8/13, Accepted 10/9/13) KIMOOOO( interview 10/9//2013 Accepted 10/16/2013
KAD690775(Interview 11/7/2013, accepted 11/14/2013, Jan class) Benoit75 (Email 9/24/13, Interview 11/06/13, Accepted 11/13/13) surfincat(Email 9/24/2013, Interview 11/7/2013, Accepted 11/14/2013), kmp282 (email 9/12/14, Interview 11/14/13, Accepted 11/20/13, January Class)

Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine: allsop21 (Email 9/20/2013, Interview 10/28/2013)

Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine: lzu8413 (Email 9/3/2013, Interview 9/20/2013, Accepted 10/8/2013); duckied123 (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 10/7/2013, Accepted 10/8/2013), BCAA ( (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 09/16/2013, Accepted 10/8/2013) Benoit75 (Email 9/23/13, Interview 10/14/13, Accepted 11/7/13); AvrgPreMedKid (Email 11/6/2013, Interview 11/22/13)

AZPOD: BIH91 (Email 9/9/2013, Interview 10/11/2013, Accepted 10/24/2013)

Barry University: dootfoctor (Email 9/13/2013, Interview 9/20/2013, Accepted 9/23/2013)

CSPM - Samuel Merritt: Heyitssandie (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 9/18/2013, Accepted 9/23/2013)

DMU: duckied123 (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 9/30/2013, Accepted 10/11/2013); allsop 21 (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 9/30/2013, Accepted 10/11/2013); Skibum43 (Email 10/2/2013, Interview 11/1/2013, Accepted 11/06/2013); Greenri (Email 11/18/13, Interview 11/22/13, Accepted 11/26/13)

Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine: allsop21 (Email 9/13/2013), Interview 9/30/2013, Accepted 10/9/2013), BIH91 (Email 9/5/2013), Interview 10/14/2013, Accepted 10/21/2013)

New York College of Podiatric Medicine: lzu8413 (Email 9/9/2013, Interview 10/2/2013, Accepted 10/10/2013), BCAA (Email 9/9/2013, Interview 10/01/2013, Accepted 10/09/2013) allsop21 (9/9/2013, Interview 10/24/2013), timalina (Email 9/9/13, Interview 10/8/13, Accepted 10/9/13) KIMOOOO( interview 10/9//2013 Accepted 10/16/2013
KAD690775(Interview 11/7/2013, accepted 11/14/2013, Jan class) Benoit75 (Email 9/24/13, Interview 11/06/13, Accepted 11/13/13) surfincat(Email 9/24/2013, Interview 11/7/2013, Accepted 11/14/2013), kmp282 (email 9/12/14, Interview 11/14/13, Accepted 11/20/13, January Class), swuman (Email 9/24/13, Interview 11/20/13, Accepted 11/26/13)

Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine: allsop21 (Email 9/20/2013, Interview 10/28/2013)

Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine: lzu8413 (Email 9/3/2013, Interview 9/20/2013, Accepted 10/8/2013); duckied123 (Email 9/6/2013, Interview10/7/2013, Accepted 10/8/2013), BCAA ( (Email 9/6/2013, Interview 09/16/2013, Accepted 10/8/2013) Benoit75 (Email 9/23/13, Interview 10/14/13, Accepted 11/7/13); AvrgPreMedKid (Email 11/6/2013, Interview 11/22/13), swuman (Email 9/25/13, Interview 11/22/13, Accepted 11/26/13)

Is it the Jan class of NYCPM? Which one will you choose and why?

Fall for both programs. Not sure which one I will choose yet, Temple offered a pretty sizeable scholarship and I need to find out if NYCPM offered any. If they did I would probably choose NYCPM.

Applied Nov 2,

Rejected by Midwestern (2.75 gpa minimum)
Interviewing with Temple, Barry, DMU, Samuel Merritt, and Kent.

Last edited:
What is the likelihood of acceptance if I am taking post-bachelor courses? I am also a re-applicant.

Overall GPA: 3.1
sGPA: 2.9
MCAT: 17
Lots of shadowing with extracurricular volunteering
Research publication as well
Letter of rec from the podiatrist I shadowed for almost a year
Taking post-bac's now to improve that sGPA and I will be retaking the MCAT (hopefully I get in before then lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just my personal view. There is no way you are making it with these stats. Take as many science classes as you can to increase your sGPA and at the same time increasing your OVERall GPA. Taking science classes will also increase you MCAT score. So my advice is taking at least 5 science classes per semester and make sure you receive an A. You mcat score should not be less than 23. You then will have a decent chance of making it.

I think that's a little harsh. I've coordinated with two prospective schools and they've given me pretty good feedback on my application. They've told me I am doing all the right things.

Honestly, I think your GPAs are fine (from what I've seen on this forum). However, your MCAT will hold you back EVERYWHERE. I just don't see a 17 cutting it for any medical profession. Retake and you'll be fine

@FUTUREDOC, the info i gave you is not my personal opinion. When i interviewed at NYCPM, the interviewers told me that the reason i might be accepted with a 21 MCAT was because of my science gpa, 3.71. You will be mistaken if you think the purpose of my advice was to belittle you, or to attack you in any way. I was a couple of month in your shoes and i needed any advice that can be helpful. I think a 17 on MCAT is a little low and to increase that you will need some more knowledge in science. So i suggested taking extra science courses to increase your sGPA, overall GPA and MCAT score. Remember GPA and MCAT balance each other. They are not directly proportional but they can help you stand, just like mines did. I really want you to get in but at the same time i want to give you the right advice. Good luck.

Thanks I appreciate that. I am not taking that many science courses right now. Pretty much only 2. I'll be taking two more in the winter. It's just impossible for me to take anymore with work. I have a terribly hard time pulling A's though. I'll get B/B+ sometimes A-. But I was a non-science major and the highest bio course I took upon graduation was micro. Now I'm taking 2, 5000 level courses. It's tough but I'm hanging with the big boy bio majors. Not getting an A but I have like a mid B. Honestly I am a non-trad students who works 40+ hrs a week and did that most of my undergrad. I try very hard to keep up but sometimes I get too exhausted with my hectic schedule. I mean, it's not like I do horrible in these courses. It's just tough for me to get A's while working.

Thanks I appreciate that. I am not taking that many science courses right now. Pretty much only 2. I'll be taking two more in the winter. It's just impossible for me to take anymore with work. I have a terribly hard time pulling A's though. I'll get B/B+ sometimes A-. But I was a non-science major and the highest bio course I took upon graduation was micro. Now I'm taking 2, 5000 level courses. It's tough but I'm hanging with the big boy bio majors. Not getting an A but I have like a mid B. Honestly I am a non-trad students who works 40+ hrs a week and did that most of my undergrad. I try very hard to keep up but sometimes I get too exhausted with my hectic schedule. I mean, it's not like I do horrible in these courses. It's just tough for me to get A's while working.
Here is where you might have problems is that your GPA is a tad low and your MCAT is definitly going to raise eyebrows if not hold you back. 17 is a definite fail in my mind if not an epic fail. The other thing too is getting Mid B's is not going to really up your GPA much. You can give it a try but look into why you got a 17, test anxiety, not knowledgeable on material, english language issues. If you can edge out a 23+ (not hard at all) you will have a smoother application/interview experience. The other thing it seemed to me the schools weighed MCAT a bit more than GPA.
Also as for your postbac get some A's in it, B's will do nothing for increasing your GPA. Yes it is a lot of work, but think of it as getting ready for the real deal when you get in and have to review 1000+ power point slides before an exam
Best of luck, also check out the MCAT clinic section on this site as a start to up your score.

@futuredoc2389, I think you're working very hard towards your goal, and if podiatry school is REALLY what you want, then don't let any setbacks hold you down. I do agree with rushrhees that your scores in both MCAT and GPA need improvement. I understand that being a non-traditional student is tough, but what I would suggest is that you get used to this amount of work. When you get into pod school and truly want to succeed, you'll have to work harder than you've ever worked in your life. I personally think that the more an individual challenges himself, the more he can rise to the occasion. No matter how hard you are working, you can do better. Trust me, I've seen it happen to me and all of my classmates. The biggest thing schools want to see is that you don't break under a heavy workload and can persevere. I know that it may seem like a lot right now (I've worked full time and taken science/MCAT courses at night), but you have to really think about what you are willing to give up. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice. I really do want this and am willing to sacrifice to make it happen. I haven't had a social life for years. I have a supportive gf that helps me a lot. Idk why my mcat was soo low! I felt like I really knew my stuff. I don't even know where to start studying for my mcat again. I want to be the most efficient. Do you guys think I should focus more on doing passages and/or practice tests? I am at the point where I think I know the material. (Sorry for posting this here)

Try the sn2 3 month schedule. Honestly, I'm doing it now along with classes, and it's definitely allowed me to calm down and realize that a good score is possible.

I already studied like a combined 8 months for this thing. Plus I don't have too much time I want to take this thing end of January. What do you guys suggest? Obviously it's less about the material and more about the way I take the exam.

While i was studying for the MCAT, i found this website which, in my perspective, is a gift. Now, this is an old website so as you know the questions per section is around 52 not 72. However, this website will save you a lot of money. Please use it well. And this is for anyone else who needs free practice tests+solutions and many more.
Let me know what you think.
http://chrismcatstuff.tripod.com/

I think it's less about the material and more about test anxiety for me.

I think it's less about the material and more about test anxiety for me.
There are many in that boat, I knew of friends that just took a Xanax before the test, and some got counseling for it (I am not advocating one over another, just know there are options out there). Either way if you recognize it as a problem and take action to correct you are a lot better off. I have seen some on these boards get a bad score and get all indignant pay the AAMC another $150 or how ever much it costs, and get the same score.

I think with my confidence will come a much much better score!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks she finally emailed me back and I reserved a seat to interview in January. Im pretty pumped to visit FL (I'm from NJ)!! Have you interviewed there yet??

Sure did. Sorry I'm not on here way too often. The interview was great! Really enjoyed meeting everyone and the facilities are pretty nice. Could use a little work, but great experience overall. It's pretty laid back.

Just got my application to Scholl completed. I got an email that was the mother of all buzzkills… It said, "We are pleased to inform you that your application to the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine [preview cut off on phone]." Went to open the email only to find it said, "We are pleased to inform you that your application to the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine IS COMPLETE AND BEING REVIEWED." Such a buzzkill. :/

While i was studying for the MCAT, i found this website which, in my perspective, is a gift. Now, this is an old website so as you know the questions per section is around 52 not 72. However, this website will save you a lot of money. Please use it well. And this is for anyone else who needs free practice tests+solutions and many more.
Let me know what you think.
http://chrismcatstuff.tripod.com/

Wow, thanks for the link! This is gonna be really helpful to me. I will be doing my full lengths in about twenty days or so.

Just got my application to Scholl completed. I got an email that was the mother of all buzzkills… It said, "We are pleased to inform you that your application to the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine [preview cut off on phone]." Went to open the email only to find it said, "We are pleased to inform you that your application to the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine IS COMPLETE AND BEING REVIEWED." Such a buzzkill. :/
Hey no news is good news (acceptance would be great news) just keep your chin up, things will work out

3.4 Science GPA
3.5 Overall

20MCAT

Two years volunteering as an ALS EMS provider

Over 400 hours shadowing MD's, DO's and DPM's

Over 2000 hours volunteering

Three years of Undergraduate Research with three Publications, 10 abstracts and 8 poster presentations.

What are my chances for this admission cycle?

I'll say you have a good chance of getting in. I know someone with a higher mcat grade but a lower gpa grade then yours and made it in. Just make sure to apply early, thats the secret to podiatric school.

I'll say you have a good chance of getting in. I know someone with a higher mcat grade but a lower gpa grade then yours and made it in. Just make sure to apply early, thats the secret to podiatric school.

sorry if this is a dumb question but when would be the last date to be considered "early." I have an old DAT score that I can use for Temple but I have to wait till late January for my MCAT scores. Should I just apply around early January since my application would not be considered complete?

I heard AZ-pod will interview you even if you have not taken the MCAT yet (obviously needed to be admitted though)? is this true?

Wow, thanks for the link! This is gonna be really helpful to me. I will be doing my full lengths in about twenty days or so.

Remember, to adjust your time. These tests are a little longer so don't get used to the timing. I took all the actual AMCAS practice tests. All of the sections on AMCAS are on the link that i gave you. However, the link has more sections thats all. So my recommendation is to take out random sections from the practice tests before you look at them and also before you time yourself. You can then look at the sections that you placed aside after you finish your timed section. Good luck and take care.

sorry if this is a dumb question but when would be the last date to be considered "early." I have an old DAT score that I can use for Temple but I have to wait till late January for my MCAT scores. Should I just apply around early January since my application would not be considered complete?

I heard AZ-pod will interview you even if you have not taken the MCAT yet (obviously needed to be admitted though)? is this true?

DO NOT waste time. My suggestion would be to call TEMPLE Tomorrow and speak with one of the dean's there, they are very nice BTW. Tell the DEAN about your score and if you have a chance to get in. Don't waste any time. We are still in the early days. You may be able to get in with your DAT score if you act SOON. Podiatry is getting competitive so act fast.

DO NOT waste time. My suggestion would be to call TEMPLE Tomorrow and speak with one of the dean's there, they are very nice BTW. Tell the DEAN about your score and if you have a chance to get in. Don't waste any time. We are still in the early days. You may be able to get in with your DAT score if you act SOON. Podiatry is getting competitive so act fast.

I did have a chance to talk to them but not the dean due to a busy schedule. I probably will have my scores sent to the podiatry application service later this week.

would jan be considered too late for "early" and do any schools interview before taking MCAT, the websites seem on some seem vague on it (I know Western/CA pod require MCAT before interview)

I did have a chance to talk to them but not the dean due to a busy schedule. I probably will have my scores sent to the podiatry application service later this week.

would jan be considered too late for "early" and do any schools interview before taking MCAT, the websites seem on some seem vague on it (I know Western/CA pod require MCAT before interview)

When i interviewed at NYCPM, they told me that we were at an advantage stage since most students apply in Feb which is when they receive their mcat score. SO you do have to realize that a lot of people will also be applying at the same date as yours. My suggestion is to try to finish the whole application and have it ready for your mcat score so you would not waste time on the process later on and try to get as many right questions as you can on the MCAT as it will have a severe effect on your acceptance to pod school. BUT try again to talk to the dean, it is very important. She will tell you to apply or not as this will save you LOTS OF your time. GIVE THEM a call tomorrow. WHo knows, you might not need to take the mcat again.

Hey guys,
I got interview invite at NYCPM. Can someone please explain the process in details please? From what I'm reading on this thread/forum, I'm getting an impression that they have a group interview? which I think is a bit awkward?
Is it a 3 panel interview? 1 on 1 interview? I understand the whole process is from 1030am to 330pm so what do you exactly do in that 5 hours?
My top choice is NYCPM. Are there rankings? what are schools with good reputation and some schools that don't have good reputation?
Once you get accepted, when will you find out how much scholarship you will get?
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

Hey guys,
I got interview invite at NYCPM. Can someone please explain the process in details please? From what I'm reading on this thread/forum, I'm getting an impression that they have a group interview? which I think is a bit awkward?
Is it a 3 panel interview? 1 on 1 interview? I understand the whole process is from 1030am to 330pm so what do you exactly do in that 5 hours?
My top choice is NYCPM. Are there rankings? what are schools with good reputation and some schools that don't have good reputation?
Once you get accepted, when will you find out how much scholarship you will get?
Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

You are with a group of other students the whole day but they are interviewing as well. You have two interviews, one 1 on 1 with a current student, and the other interview is with faculty, which is usually 2-3 faculty and you. When you first arrive, they will ask you to write a short essay (300 words or so) on a prompt that they give you. It is very easy and laid back. The whole day does last from about 10 am until 3:30 pm. You will interview, tour the school, shadow in the clinic, and listen to a few presentations about different things about the school. You have nothing to worry about. The interview is there so they get to know you. If you are invited to interview, it means they are genuinely interested and want to make sure you fit the type of student they are looking for. If you get accepted to NYCPM, they will send you an acceptance packet and in that packet they will tell you if you received any scholarships.

Since there are only 9 podiatry schools, there really isn't a ranking of them. Each person is going to have their own opinions. The general consensus is that DMU, AZPod, NYCPM, and Scholls are the best. The podiatrist I shadowed kept telling me that academically Temple was the best. I don;t know where he was getting that information but I know he would not lie to me. Just make sure you find the right school for you. Each school is unique and has its own things to offer. You will get a quality education anywhere if you put in the time.

AZPod will interview you before getting an MCAT they just won't make any decision before getting the scores.

Thank you so much for the reply. Just curious, how many people were in your group? They indicated that they hold interviews three times every week so that's a lot of interviews!
And NYCPM is one of only colleges that didn't share the stats of student profile on their website; how many students apply, how many are granted interviews, how many are accepted, etc.

Thank you so much for the reply. Just curious, how many people were in your group? They indicated that they hold interviews three times every week so that's a lot of interviews!
And NYCPM is one of only colleges that didn't share the stats of student profile on their website; how many students apply, how many are granted interviews, how many are accepted, etc.

There were 2 others with me when I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure that number fluctuates depending on a lot of factors. If you go to aacpm.org and click on the link to the view book that is all about podiatry and the schools. It's the all blue book next to the one with a foot on it. That will give you most of the stats you want know on the schools.

Is there a school that's particularly hard or easy to get in once you get an interview invitation?
From reading on this forum, I'm getting the impression that if you're invited, you're basically accepted unless you bomb the interview.
I got an e-mail from CSPM and they seem to be pretty serious about interviews and it says interview is a huge part of their decision.
Also, why is CSPM so much more expensive? their tuition is about $35k a year while most other schools are around $25k a year?
Thank you all in advance!

[quote="futrdr10, post: 14678014,
Also, why is CSPM so much more expensive? their tuition is about $35k a year while most other schools are around $25k a year?
Thank you all in advance![/quote]

All podiatry schools' tuitions are around the same amount..30-35k.

All podiatry schools' tuitions are around the same amount..30-35k.
Thanks for the reply but NYCPM annual tuition is under 29k while CSPM annual tuition is 36k. 7K diff is pretty significant if you ask me

I know of a couple of people who were rejected by CSPM after the interview, so it happens.

For those of you who applied to Barry and received an interview invite, can you tell me how long it takes for Amy Major to return your emails to confirm the interview? Also would you mind sharing some insight on how the interview process goes? What kind of questions are asked? How is the interview run overall?

Also, someone stated earlier that it seems that if you receive an interview invite it seems that you will most likely be accepted. How much truth is there to this statement? Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but NYCPM annual tuition is under 29k while CSPM annual tuition is 36k. 7K diff is pretty significant if you ask me
The lower tuition is "significant," but the cost of living is higher in NYC than other areas. A point which nycpm makes during the interview process, and also the reason behind the 7k difference.