2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love these secondaries with easy essay prompts!

So...just to confirm: that essay prompt was an optional one right? I just submitted mine with "N/A" written for Baylor :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

But the question is, would it not help your application by answering the secondary essay?

Not writing anything won't hurt you, but writing something will only help (unless you write something stupid).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my secondary! Just waiting on AMCAS to verify me already!

Did you reuse one of the optional TMDSAS essays, secondary essays, or rewrite the whole thing? I'm thinking about using one of our TMDSAS optionals

But the question is, would it not help your application by answering the secondary essay?

Not writing anything won't hurt you, but writing something will only help (unless you write something stupid).

I didn't really think I had "special experiences" or "unusual factors" that I felt the need to expand upon and I figured blank was better than BS :oops: Hopefully it won't put me too far behind other applicants who took the time to tailor up a Baylor-centric essay.

I didn't really think I had "special experiences" or "unusual factors" that I felt the need to expand upon and I figured blank was better than BS :oops: Hopefully it won't put me too far behind other applicants who took the time to tailor up a Baylor-centric essay.

I doubt your application will be affected because you did not fill out the "special experiences." I also feel like the prompt is not necessarily a "Why Baylor," but a prompt to address experiences in life that may help the admission committee in learning more about us. You're fine!

Did you reuse one of the optional TMDSAS essays, secondary essays, or rewrite the whole thing? I'm thinking about using one of our TMDSAS optionals

A mix of the diversity essay/ why baylor essay.

I think you should've used the space to mention why you would want to attend BCM since it is the "additional information that may be helpful in evaluating you."

still haven't received secondary from baylor. AMCAS verified on the june 11. have i been screened?

still haven't received secondary from baylor. AMCAS verified on the june 11. have i been screened?

You have to go to the website (it's posted earlier in this thread I believe) and do it yourself, they haven't sent out an email. And you don't have to be verified to submit it.

you dont get an invitation to complete the secondary. Its open to everyone I believe. Just google BCM secondary and take it from there.

was totally unaware, thanks for that! do you happen to know if any other schools do things like this as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Receipt of verified AMCAS and reminder of secondary application email just now, so I guess they do email secondaries...just a little later, haha

Although you can go to the website and fill out the secondary without receiving an invitation, they sent me the following email:

Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) located in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas, appreciates your interest and hopes you will take a minute to visit our web site at http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/ to learn more about us.

We are in receipt of your verified AMCAS application, and if you have not already completed the BCM supplemental application you will find it located at http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/supplemental. We are using PayPal for the supplemental application fee. You may send your payment by credit card or e-check. Please follow the instructions carefully to ensure both your payment and supplemental are submitted. If you have received an AMCAS FAP Approval, follow the instructions for FAP at the end of the supplemental. If you do not wish to send the application fee electronically, a check made payable to Baylor College of Medicine may be sent to: Office of Admissions, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza Rm. N104, MS: BCM110, Houston, TX 77030. You will also find instructions on YouTube at http://youtu.be/WfjCxr6r4vY

BCM also participates in the letter of recommendation process through AMCAS. You will find instructions located at http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/admissionsprocess#letters.

Your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee once we have received your verified AMCAS application, MCAT Scores, Supplemental Application, Supplemental Application Fee, and Letters of Recommendation. You may check your File Completion at https://www.bcm.edu/as/admis_web/ms_app/status/login/login.cfm. If you are concerned about any supporting documentation not received 5 working days after your verified AMCAS application has been received by BCM, you may email [email protected] with any concerns.

With our economical Tuition and Fees for both residents and non-residents of Texas (see https://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2013), we look forward to your completed application.

current status:

"Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February."

fingers crossed! :)

current status:

"your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.

Baylor college of medicine interviews from september through february.
You are eligible for interview consideration through february."

+1!

A friendly FYI from last year's thread regarding application status changes and IIs:

Yeah. Last year they started out as "is being reviewed" then changed to "has been reviewed" and then a few days before interview invites, it would change back to "is being reviewed" if you were about to receive and interview invite.

current status:

"Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.

Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February."

Same.

Last year it looks like the first invites went out 7/25, so we've still got a little wait ahead of us!

Same.

Last year it looks like the first invites went out 7/25, so we've still got a little wait ahead of us!

As an applicant last year, soon to be student at Baylor this year, I just want to say take those status changes with a grain of salt. I feel like for every one person that the status changed before and interview invite, there was another that either didn't see or didn't have the change. So strap in everyone, there is a lot of waiting ahead! Best of luck and feel free to PM me!

i used the essay to write about my research. was that a bad idea? i couldn't really elaborate about it on my amcas app.

also, how competitive would i be with a 32 mcat? i imagine that's on the lower end right? i have a 3.97 in electrical eng. from a top school though hoping that might help out

i used the essay to write about my research. was that a bad idea? i couldn't really elaborate about it on my amcas app.

also, how competitive would i be with a 32 mcat? i imagine that's on the lower end right? i have a 3.97 in electrical eng. from a top school though hoping that might help out

Better than me, I'm applying with a 30 and a 3.3 lol

Pretty sure you'll survive the screening

Baylor has been waiting on my letters for awhile now.. should I be worried? Anyone else have that status?

Baylor has been waiting on my letters for awhile now.. should I be worried? Anyone else have that status?

i submitted my amcas app in late september when i applied as an out of state resident. no need to be worried. just try to get them in sooner than later

Pretty sure you'll survive the screening

Meaning, this person will survive the screening process and be looked at by the admissions committee for a potential interview? I have similar stats but not from a top tier school.

I have heard that Baylor likes it if you speak Spanish, anyone from Baylor that can verify that?

Thanks!

Meaning, this person will survive the screening process and be looked at by the admissions committee for a potential interview? I have similar stats but not from a top tier school.

I have heard that Baylor likes it if you speak Spanish, anyone from Baylor that can verify that?

Thanks!

Yeah that's what I would imagine. But don't take my advice 100%. I'm not applying for a few years

I'm not sure about the Spanish thing, but it would seriously help anyone in the South

Thanks!

well i dont know if you would be put higher on a rank list if you spoke spanish, but i know that it is absolutely advantageous to speak spanish here because probably half of the patients at the county hospital only speak spanish. with that in mind, i suppose there is a chance that could bump you up a notch.

i wish i were fluent in spanish. :(

Is it taking anyone else a really long time for Baylor to receive your letters? I assigned my letters in AMCAS a week ago, and I'm still getting this message on their status page: "Our records indicate that we have not received one or more of your letters of recommendation."

I've submitted the right number (just double checked), and my status changed just fine when I submitted my secondary.

Anyone else with this issue?

well i dont know if you would be put higher on a rank list if you spoke spanish, but i know that it is absolutely advantageous to speak spanish here because probably half of the patients at the county hospital only speak spanish. with that in mind, i suppose there is a chance that could bump you up a notch.

i wish i were fluent in spanish. :(

It was just something interesting I heard from another premed at my school from our advisor who has a lot of experience. She basically told him not to apply to Baylor unless he spoke Spanish or score a 38 on the MCAT, he scored a 36. Our school is small and unheard of so that might have something to do with it. I just thought I might see how legitimate this was.

Hi guys. If I was top 3% from my high school do I put 3% or 97% on my class rank? Sorry for the stupid question.

Is it taking anyone else a really long time for Baylor to receive your letters? I assigned my letters in AMCAS a week ago, and I'm still getting this message on their status page: "Our records indicate that we have not received one or more of your letters of recommendation."

I've submitted the right number (just double checked), and my status changed just fine when I submitted my secondary.

Anyone else with this issue?

I've been at that status for over a week… I emailed and was told that they have my letters, but I just checked my status again and I'm still getting that LOR status…

It was just something interesting I heard from another premed at my school from our advisor who has a lot of experience. She basically told him not to apply to Baylor unless he spoke Spanish or score a 38 on the MCAT, he scored a 36. Our school is small and unheard of so that might have something to do with it. I just thought I might see how legitimate this was.

Not legitimate. If he's interested in BCM, he should apply. Having at least a 38 and Spanish fluency are definitely not required. Many in the class have neither.

see below

Not legitimate. If he's interested in BCM, he should apply. Having at least a 38 and Spanish fluency are definitely not required. Many in the class have neither.

this.

Hi guys. If I was top 3% from my high school do I put 3% or 97% on my class rank? Sorry for the stupid question.

honestly....high school status doesn't matter. i'm pretty sure i left it blank. however, this doensn't answer your question. if you know your ranking, just put that (number 5 out of x people in your class or top 3% of graduating class). again, it doesn't matter. i doubt it's looked at. so many people change between high school and college

I've heard some horror stories from a physician who interviewed at Baylor about the lack of safety/security of the campus. She said on the day she interviewed there was a murder in the parking lot...my parents are concerned and I was wondering if any current/past Baylor MD students could validate or dismiss these concerns.

I've heard some horror stories from a physician who interviewed at Baylor about the lack of safety/security of the campus. She said on the day she interviewed there was a murder in the parking lot...my parents are concerned and I was wondering if any current/past Baylor MD students could validate or dismiss these concerns.

Just a premed student here. I did a summer program at Baylor and this statement is pretty absurd. I walked all around the TMC alone late at night/early in the morning and I was fine. I only ever saw the aftermath of foul play at Ben Taub.. I definitely wouldn't make the blanket statement that Baylor is unsafe.

Are you sure she was talking about Baylor and not UTSW? There was a murder in a parking lot on UTSW campus this year (though apparently it was not a random murder but a "domestic dispute") and there were at least a couple of armed robberies on UTSW campus this year.
I can't say anything about Baylor.

Are you sure she was talking about Baylor and not UTSW? There was a murder in a parking lot on UTSW campus this year (though apparently it was not a random murder but a "domestic dispute") and there were at least a couple of armed robberies on UTSW campus this year.
I can't say anything about Baylor.

this

as a fourth yr student here, no one on campus has been murdered. it is an extremely safe campus. security personnel and surveillance cameras (both seen and hidden...not to mention police men hidden away in a couple rooms in main baylor) are all over the place. you can't enter without going past security and tons of cameras. you are required to have a baylor badge just to enter the building. i'd go on a limb here saying that i feel just as safe there than as my apartment (if not safer)

this

as a fourth yr student here, no one on campus has been murdered. it is an extremely safe campus. security personnel and surveillance cameras (both seen and hidden...not to mention police men hidden away in a couple rooms in main baylor) are all over the place. you can't enter without going past security and tons of cameras. you are required to have a baylor badge just to enter the building. i'd go on a limb here saying that i feel just as safe there than as my apartment (if not safer)

As he said, it's pretty darn locked down. I've been at BCM for a year, and I've yet to feel unsafe on campus. OK, maybe I was a little bit fearful when my anatomy partners wielded the bone saw, but not other than that.

Just kidding. They did a good job. :)

Guys, kind of a stupid question - because Baylor is, after all, in Texas - but is it 100% necessary to have a car while studying at Baylor? I manage to do without a car in Dallas (including my commute to work at UTSW), and I wonder if I could pull the same trick in Houston :)

And how about housing? Do most students live in some sort of student housing or all over the place?

Guys, kind of a stupid question - because Baylor is, after all, in Texas - but is it 100% necessary to have a car while studying at Baylor? I manage to do without a car in Dallas (including my commute to work at UTSW), and I wonder if I could pull the same trick in Houston :)

And how about housing? Do most students live in some sort of student housing or all over the place?

it is possible to not have a car at baylor, but it is difficult. there is public transportation....to get you to and from your apt/house and baylor/the med center...and most places you will want to go...but having one really makes life a lot easier. i'm glad i have a car here

it is possible to not have a car at baylor, but it is difficult. there is public transportation....to get you to and from your apt/house and baylor/the med center...and most places you will want to go...but having one really makes life a lot easier. i'm glad i have a car here
Thank you for your response. I guess even after almost 5 years in Dallas I'm still in New York state of mind :p

Just about done with my bcm secondary. They won't think I'm uninterested even though I've been sitting on it for over two weeks, right?

Argh! This school doesn't fully waive the secondary fee for FAPplicants. Shoulda looked it up before I applied.

My status page says "application has been reviewed." anyone else have that? anyone get an invite yet?