2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody gotten a completion email?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought BUSM made it very clear not to write another essay unless you had something absolutely imperative to say, so I chose to leave it blank.

Also, I think it speaks well about a person if they don't feel compelled to unnecessarily answer every optional prompt. It shows the ability to use their judgement. It's probably a good way BUSM uses screens out the overly neurotic... but I could be wrong!

I've thought about this, the second part. I've actually been looking at alot of my apps thinking "okay, if I write this, some admissions committee is gonna be all like this:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1373212597.778097.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent been verified by AMCAS yet and I received my secondary yesterday. I also dont want to look lazy for not doing the optional essay. Decisions decisions...

What kind of pictures are people posting? I have a really great recent one with the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum, but nothing RECENT in the way of professional looking (suit/tie) portraits. Think this would be a problem?

What kind of pictures are people posting? I have a really great recent one with the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum, but nothing RECENT in the way of professional looking (suit/tie) portraits. Think this would be a problem?

I took a self shot with me in a suit with a white background. Very simple, yet professional looking. My best guess would be that that is what they are primarily looking for.

I took a self shot with me in a suit with a white background. Very simple, yet professional looking. My best guess would be that that is what they are primarily looking for.

I did the same, even though I looked like of cheesy I think it was the best bet!

Has anyone who is verified still not received the secondary?

how many of you guys are going to write this optional essay? they phrase it as if this is where you might explain an institutional action, or poor grade, etc. what if we have nothing like this to explain??

how many of you guys are going to write this optional essay? they phrase it as if this is where you might explain an institutional action, or poor grade, etc. what if we have nothing like this to explain??

I didn't write it because I had nothing left to say that wasn't already apart of my application (I have nothing to explain). If you have nothing left to explain, I don't think it will hurt you to leave it blank.

I didn't write it because I had nothing left to say that wasn't already apart of my application (I have nothing to explain). If you have nothing left to explain, I don't think it will hurt you to leave it blank.

My opinion is to write all essays, but I took two gap years and have a lot that still doesn't fit. If you are a solid writer, do it. Remember this is your only shot to sell yourself to the admissions committee.

I havent seen the secondary, but my suggestion is to use it as an adversity essay of they dont already have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Footballlove - I wanted to reply to you directly, and anyone else wondering whether they should do the optional essay.

You should 100% answer all optional secondary questions on all of your applications, unless for some reason they don't apply to you (i.e. asking about re-applicants, etc.)

This was a tip from my adviser who used to screen apps: They ask these questions for a reason. They are looking to see how much you can round yourself out beyond the application space already provided. If you don't answer, they will assume you don't have any more depth to offer, or passed on an opportunity to sell yourself. If you write a blase essay that doesn't say much, they will just assume the same thing - but it's still better than leaving it blank. They will definitely NOT give you brownie points or think that you're being considerate of their time by giving them less to read.

This is the same thing that comes up with adversity questions - a lot of people don't answer them because they don't think they've come across adversity compared to other students. But it is not about how hard your life was vs. another person. These essays reveal whether you are someone who reflects on and grows from your life experiences, whether they are medically related or not.

I hope people telling you guys not to answer these questions are not trolling the forums or trying to hurt other applicants : (

Addition: Some schools may seem to discourage optional essays "unless you need them." In these cases - be extra sure you write something you have not said before. Think outside the box. If you've been alive 20+ years, you've still got stories and passion to talk about, so try not to get burned out by the process. Go take a break, relax & reflect awhile

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Sorry, my phone has some issues quoting replies. Footballlove and Yankeebean, see my previous post.

I've thought about this, the second part. I've actually been looking at alot of my apps thinking "okay, if I write this, some admissions committee is gonna be all like this:

View attachment 24372

Last edited:
Footballlove - I wanted to reply to you directly, and anyone else wondering whether they should do the optional essay.

You should 100% answer all optional secondary questions on all of your applications, unless for some reason they don't apply to you (i.e. asking about re-applicants, etc.)

This was a tip from my adviser who used to screen apps: They ask these questions for a reason. They are looking to see how much you can round yourself out beyond the application space already provided. If you don't answer, they will assume you don't have any more depth to offer, or passed on an opportunity to sell yourself. If you write a blase essay that doesn't say much, they will just assume the same thing - but it's still better than leaving it blank. They will definitely NOT give you brownie points or think that you're being considerate of their time by giving them less to read.

This is the same thing that comes up with adversity questions - a lot of people don't answer them because they don't think they've come across adversity compared to other students. But it is not about how hard your life was vs. another person. These essays reveal whether you are someone who reflects on and grows from your life experiences, whether they are medically related or not.

I hope people telling you guys not to answer these questions are not trolling the forums or trying to hurt other applicants : (

Addition: Some schools may seem to discourage optional essays "unless you need them." In these cases - be extra sure you write something you have not said before. Think outside the box. If you've been alive 20+ years, you've still got stories and passion to talk about, so try not to get burned out by the process. Go take a break, relax & reflect awhile

Good luck everyone!

I would say that this is generally great advice. However, considering you said you hadn't seen the secondary yet, I would like to say that (at least to me) it was worded in such a way that it strongly discouraged the optional essay unless you had something truly substantial to say.

Additionally, it has been well documented on SDN that many people who chose not to write the optional essay have gotten into BUSM.

So, if you didn't write one (like me :D) don't freak out. But what do I know? I'm a first time applicant :oops:

If I am waiting for my MCAT score to come out in the next week or so, and add BU to my list of schools on the primary app, how long will it take till I receive the secondaries? I didn't add schools except one, because I wanted to wait for a score

Also, how long after I submit my secondary do I get fully verified?

Thanks!

Anyone got an answer to these?

Thanks

I would say that this is generally great advice. However, considering you said you hadn't seen the secondary yet, I would like to say that (at least to me) it was worded in such a way that it strongly discouraged the optional essay unless you had something truly substantial to say.

Additionally, it has been well documented on SDN that many people who chose not to write the optional essay have gotten into BUSM.

So, if you didn't write one (like me :D) don't freak out. But what do I know? I'm a first time applicant :oops:

Certainly, and didn't mean to suggest it would make or break any app. particularly if they expect some students not to answer it. Just didnt want people who were 50/50 on using the space thinking that they were better off leaving it blank.

congrats on getting it in, good luck!

I got an email telling me to fill out the pre-registration form before I can complete the secondary.
When I go to the website to fill out this form, it says it is by invitation only, and I cannot fill out the form.

Anybody else having this issue?

I mean, it's your entire academic life you're putting up for candidacy. To be able to explain it 100% in the activity descriptions, 'most meaningful' descriptions, and 2 essays is hard to believe. I'm sure most people could pull up something insightful that's not really mentioned in the rest of their application. Maybe it's not the most important thing about you, but still. Right?

Any advice on how to address low gpa during my freshman yr in college?

I mentioned in my PS that my father was really ill, but I didnt bring up that i went home almost every week and lost focus in school (didn't really fit with what i was trying to say). Would a paragraph explaining this be enough? Also, I don't have anything else to address in the optional essay (other than I really really want to go to BU, but not sure if they want to read abt that in the optional essay?), so it would just be about my grades?

I'm addressing this same issue - it can be your whole essay, but doesn't have to. The main thing is to focus on the positive aspects rather than minute details of experience itself (i.e. what you learned/how it helped you mature/ how it makes you a stronger and more well rounded candidate)

Medical school advisors have told me they are interested in students who have dealt with adversity, as long as your performance improved. Just be VERY careful to stay away form tones that come across as making excuses.
I suggest having someone read who's not family or a close friend

Anyway, Hope that helps :) I'm in a similar situation, been researching this a lot, so happy to share mine with u as an example

Last edited:
Just received the secondary (finally). Any idea why we're getting them at different times?

I'm still waiting with a 32/3.7 OOS, what are your stats?

I just got mine today as well. I doubt it's about stats since they don't screen. I submitted my primary 6/27, not yet verified.

Does the character limit include or not include spaces?

Was verified by AMCAS first day and haven't received it either. I don't think it means anything. Just going to pre-write now.

I'm still waiting with a 32/3.7 OOS, what are your stats?

Supposedly, everyone gets the secondary, so I don't think it's about stats. I'm not sure why you haven't received it yet, but you will soon.

I just got mine today as well. I doubt it's about stats since they don't screen. I submitted my primary 6/27, not yet verified.

Gotcha, seems to be no rhyme or reason to the madness. :smack:

I'm still waiting with a 4.0/37. I don't think this delay is about stats.

How long did it take to get the secondary email after you set up a bu account?

Last edited:
Should I be using the optional essay textbox to describe my abysmally low MCAT score (low 20s) from my first attempt? I could talk about what I learned from it and how I recovered to get my second MCAT score. This is not something already addressed in my AMCAS application. Other than that, I really don't know what else to put in the optional essay since pretty much everything else is covered in the primary app and in the other secondary questions.

I got it about 3 hours after making the account, after receiving the invite to to make one on July 3rd.

Also, if anyone is worried about potentially getting screened - my GPA is not as high as some of the ones I've seen posted in this thread. BUT my last name begins with an "A", so they might be doing it alphabetically :) I'm sure more batches are coming out soon!

Buy the MSAR. Everyone gets a secondary from BU.

I love the quarter system, but man.. filling out that prerequisite grid was annoying

omg this grid thing is ridic....i hate being in a quarter system.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

I just emailed them ... Hopefully I can get an answer by tomorrow.

I just don't know if rounding up starts from x.5 or x.1 ... Cause if I take 2 quarters of something, that's 1.33 semesters. Would I put 1 semester or 2 semesters?

I just don't know if rounding up starts from x.5 or x.1 ... Cause if I take 2 quarters of something, that's 1.33 semesters. Would I put 1 semester or 2 semesters?

I'd love to hear the answer to this. What I did was I rounded up whenever it wasn't a whole number, since that's what I got from the directions. So when I got 1.33 semesters I put down 2 semesters

What i did was put 2 semesters for the required classes... b.c i did fulfill the requirements. on the notes section, i rewrote all my classes and the units right next to them. I also wrote on the top : NOTE: QUARTER SYSTEM.

"There is no right answer to the grid."-Instructions

I'd love to hear the answer to this. What I did was I rounded up whenever it wasn't a whole number, since that's what I got from the directions. So when I got 1.33 semesters I put down 2 semesters

I did the same thing! It says to round up, so I did. Kind of works in our favor in some cases I bet

I noticed the application has an "upload documents" section-- do you think it would be appropriate if I uploaded the abstracts of two of my publications and list it as "other," or is that totally not what it is intended for? Thanks!

I noticed the application has an "upload documents" section-- do you think it would be appropriate if I uploaded the abstracts of two of my publications and list it as "other," or is that totally not what it is intended for? Thanks!

Have u listed the titles elsewhere in the app or on AMCAS?

Have u listed the titles elsewhere in the app or on AMCAS?
Yes each were listed as activities with a brief overview of what each paper covered, but the descriptions weren't written in a scholarly manner or anything like what the abstracts state

Yes each were listed as activities with a brief overview of what each paper covered, but the descriptions weren't written in a scholarly manner or anything like what the abstracts state

But did you give the titles? They look them up to make sure you aren't bulls hitting - publications are a big deal.

we are supposed to explain why we dont have a health committee letter? i didn't know it was a sin to not have one. i have a letter packet with 5 letters but a committee letter is better? i guess i don't even really know what it is and why it's so important

But did you give the titles? They look them up to make sure you aren't bulls hitting - publications are a big deal.
Yes I gave titles, journal name, and doi. The only thing that concerns me is that one of them was accepted for publication recently, it just has yet to be printed/e-published. That's why I figured uploading the abstract + copy of the confirmation e-mail may help (except not every application has this option)

Yes I gave titles, journal name, and doi. The only thing that concerns me is that one of them was accepted for publication recently, it just has yet to be printed/e-published. That's why I figured uploading the abstract + copy of the confirmation e-mail may help (except not every application has this option)

They'll pay the due diligence, so instead of inundating them with more to read, just upload the abstract that's awaiting publication and explain that it may not be verifiable before they review your app. I wouldn't send everything though.

Just got a message back from them:

Our instructions are to round up if you do not have a full number when you do our 3/2 conversion. Please round up regardless of what partial number you have and explain below the grid. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

That's better for me. :laugh:

Hey! For those of you have actually received the secondary, could you please confirm that these are the actual questions:

If you did not go to college directly after high school, please explain: (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you are not expecting to go directly to medical school after completing your undergraduate work, please explain. (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.)

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

Please let me know if this is correct! I don't want to prewrite an essay that doesn't exist lol

Hey! For those of you have actually received the secondary, could you please confirm that these are the actual questions:

If you did not go to college directly after high school, please explain: (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you are not expecting to go directly to medical school after completing your undergraduate work, please explain. (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.)

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

Please let me know if this is correct! I don't want to prewrite an essay that doesn't exist lol

Yep thats correct!

So I got an email asking me to pre-register for the secondary but I haven't been verified. Will I need to wait and verify before sending the secondary?

So I got an email asking me to pre-register for the secondary but I haven't been verified. Will I need to wait and verify before sending the secondary?

Yes. These instructions are buried on the 'submission' page of the secondary.

You can register and start filling it out but they don't want you to submit until verified.