2013-2014 Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University Application Threa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience.

Essay prompt available. GL to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should the photo I include be a professional portrait or can I have my husband take it outside or against a blank wall or something? I guess I am asking what is an acceptable back drop.

Wasn't the photo described as passport like? I don't remember exactly what the application guide described, but I used a picture I had of my head from my facebook with a neutral white colored wall behind me. Your idea is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
August 27th - 29th; 9:30 AM interview or 11:30 AM interview.

Complete on Monday and interview invite today! I'll be there Aug 27. :)

so any ideas on how to tackle the prompt without repeating everything on my primary app?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not either, they called me to verify. I'm not technically a resident until next month :)

Last edited:
The interviews were very laid back. No off-the-wall questions, no pressure, very conversational. Be yourself.

The interviews were very laid back. No off-the-wall questions, no pressure, very conversational. Be yourself.

Agreed, just be yourself but make sure to mention stuff from your primary app when they ask you the general "get to know you" questions. The 2 interviewers will be the subjective portion of the 30+ faculty/student panel that will either accept or reject you when they get together to look over your completed application.

Average stats for this years entering class was a 29 and 3.5 I think.

For the entering class of 2013, the average undergraduate GPA was actually a 3.7 with a 29.5 MCAT average. This past year was their highest GPA average to date according to the Dean. Good luck everyone!

Interview invite today 3.7/27 non-trad, secondary submitted 9/3

Any recent interview invites? This thread has been pretty quiet.

Interview set for Oct. 15

Interviewed here last year, hoping to make it this time.

Hello all. I am applying to this school and have also received an interview invite. But since I have sent my secondary (and also because there may not have been a good place to include this on the secondary app), I have more information I'd like BSOM to know about me.

Is there a way to submit supplemental information regarding things we are doing currently or general things that we want them to know, so it is submitted into our file.

Thanks in advance

Hello all. I am applying to this school and have also received an interview invite. But since I have sent my secondary (and also because there may not have been a good place to include this on the secondary app), I have more information I'd like BSOM to know about me.

Is there a way to submit supplemental information regarding things we are doing currently or general things that we want them to know, so it is submitted into our file.

Thanks in advance
Hi, the best way to do it would be to bring a copy of your updates to the interview and give it to the ADCOM personally. That way, you can emphasize your updates and make yourself stand out from the rest of the interviewees. Good luck!

Has anyone been able to check their mail today? My mail doesn't normally arrive until close to 5:00. The first letters were received on 10/16 last year!

I keep refreshing the admissions update page, but it is still current as of 10/1. :scared:

my mail comes around 5:00 pm as well. i am pretty pissed and will be thinking about nothing but a possible letter from ecu all day at work.

:banana:

I wonder if they mailed them out today or yesterday? This waiting game sucks!!!

As of October 15, 2013, we have .....
Received 656 AMCAS applications
Received 444 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 176 applicants
Made 12 offers
(Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class)

Wow! Only 656 primary applications!

NC love :thumbup:

Just got the letter! Wow, I can't even believe it!

Just got the letter! Wow, I can't even believe it!
congratulations !!!!!!! :banana:

where in nc are you? And when was it postmarked. im close to raliegh, I doubt it would take more than a day to get to me... but i can hope

congratulations !!!!!!! :banana:

where in nc are you? And when was it postmarked. im close to raliegh, I doubt it would take more than a day to get to me... but i can hope

I am in the Triad, and the letter was postmarked 10/16.

3.5 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 3.9 post bacc GPA, 34 MCAT. Nontraditional, reapplicant.

Hey, folks.

Re-applicant. This is my 3rd time.

Is anybody aware of how the interview selection process works for re-applicants? Last year Ms Coward told me that re-applicants are put in a "different pool" and judged using a different criteria.

Additionally, does anybody know if stigma exists for a 3rd time applicant?:confused:

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Great school.

Hey, folks.

Re-applicant. This is my 3rd time.

Is anybody aware of how the interview selection process works for re-applicants? Last year Ms Coward told me that re-applicants are put in a "different pool" and judged using a different criteria.

Additionally, does anybody know if stigma exists for a 3rd time applicant?:confused:

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Great school.

I don't know how it works differently for reapplicants, but one of my student tour guides last year had to apply three times to get in. I don't think there is a stigma to being a reapplicant, but you should definitely address weaknesses in your application from one year to the next to make yourself a better candidate.

I hope someone can give you more insight about how the process works for reapplicants.

I've been complete since 8/4 and still no rejection or II... IS, 3.4/31. I feel like this is unusually long to wait.

Where do you live puppy love? I assume you got a letter?

Thank you Remy! Congrats to you too!

And I live in Raleigh, I did get a letter, it was postmarked from the 28th!