2013-2014 Cooper Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) How do you match the mission of CMSRU? (1000 Char)

2) In what way did you make an impact or difference to a school, job, organization, or person in your life? (1000 Char)

3) Tell us something about you that does not come through in the AMCAS application. (1000 Char)

4) Ten years from now what do you see yourself doing and where? (1000 Char)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jersey resident applying to Cooper as well! Good luck to everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved this place. For those on the fence about applying here--do.

Would have happily attended if I didn't get into my #1 (and family events yada yada).

Loved this place. For those on the fence about applying here--do.

Would have happily attended if I didn't get into my #1 (and family events yada yada).

+1... the facilities were incredible, the people there were great, it surprisingly knocked me off my feet relative to the majority of the MD schools I got into. Apply here if you think it is a good fit.

Does anyone know what the average stats for here are?

Hey everyone...I will also be applying here! According to the MSAR their average stats are: MCAT:30 GPA: 3.56 and sGPA: 3.43. Good luck everyone!

Jersey resident! I'll be applying to Cooper too! I would love to go here.

Does anyone know what the chance is to get in here if OOS?

Does anyone know what the chance is to get in here if OOS?

This is only third application cycle of the school and if I am correct they have accepted 0 out of state student in the first two cycles and heavily favor in-state students

This is only third application cycle of the school and if I am correct they have accepted 0 out of state student in the first two cycles and heavily favor in-state students

That is interesting. MSAR shows that they have accepted out of state students...

Members don't see this ad :)
That is interesting. MSAR shows that they have accepted out of state students...
Yes, I saw something like 80 percent of out of state accepted! I'm confused now :(. Anyone know what the deal is?

Yes, I saw something like 80 percent of out of state accepted! I'm confused now :(. Anyone know what the deal is?

80%? I don't think it's that high..

Here are the numbers from MSAR. I don't know what class this is, though.

Out of state apps: 1915 | In state apps: 912
Out of state interviews: 116 | In state interviews: 169
Out of state matriculates: 17 | In state matriculates: 33

80%? I don't think it's that high..

Here are the numbers from MSAR. I don't know what class this is, though.

Out of state apps: 1915 | In state apps: 912
Out of state interviews: 116 | In state interviews: 169
Out of state matriculates: 17 | In state matriculates: 33
Oh wow, yes, definitely looks like a state preference! Do you think it's worth applying OOS? (cGPA 3.74, sGPA3.74-3.78, MCAT 32 (12/9/11).

Oh wow, yes, definitely looks like a state preference! Do you think it's worth applying OOS? (cGPA 3.74, sGPA3.74-3.78, MCAT 32 (12/9/11).

Lol.. I'm in the same position as you are so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give out advice. Your numbers are in line with their median stats, though.

If I had to guess, even the OOS interviewees probably had some sore of connection to NJ (not all, but probably a decent amount). For instance, Phili/PA people are OOS, but you can see the Phili skyline from the Anatomy lab. NY people are OOS, but may have done clinical work or summer work in NJ. I can totally understand why they would want people tied to the area to start out.

Completely mistaken. They have accepted many OOS.

n = 1 here, but I did have heavy ties to NJ--though from what I inquired about at my interview, it seemed like not everyone did. Cooper is really heavy on their mission, and want to know how you fit. This is by far the most important aspect.

There are a number of OOS...Apply, that at least gives you a chance. If you send nothing, you'll never know.

Love my people over at Cooper!!

Jersey resident applying here as well.

Good luck everyone!

Applying. NJ residency is an obvious draw, but the adapted clinical curriculum and location are definite pluses too.

forget msar i talked to the dean they said 70% will be from New Jersey. That still leaves a good 30% open and as an OOS Im definetly applying here. I have 30 mcat and 3.98 gpa u think i stand a chance to make it?

I've heard not so good things about the area its located in.
Non-NJ resident here- can anyone weigh in?

All prereqs must be from four-year univ? Leaves out most non-trad applicants.

Where did u get this info? That can't be right they would be alienating such a large number of applicants. Dam if this is the case I'm about to tear my hair off and curse under my breath for being an OOS applicant as I was really relying on this school.

[QUOTE=dejadr;14144152]All prereqs must be from four-year univ? Leaves out most non-trad applicants.[/QUOTE]

Is it true that Research/Thesis work is required at Cooper? I saw that listed under MSAR and I was just wondering if that was true or not :) Thank you!

It is certainly worth applying from OOS! I have had several friends (all from California) who have gotten interviews at this school last cycle with stats around 3.7/30. Good luck everyone!

dam it i took my general chemistry out side in a community college, what should i do?

Good news guys I just talked to the director of admissions Catherine B. Dayton: Here is the email back and forth:
My Message: I was looking through Cooper Medical's site and I stumbled across the fact that certain required courses must be taken at a 4 year. Im fine on everything except the inorganic chemistry. I had taken my chemistry courses outside in a community college. I was hoping you could tell me if that will nullify application? Is Cooper medical strict on this? Can I substitute it with organic chemistry courses that I have taken at my four year? I really want to come here and I would hate not to have an opportunity due to such a requirement. I would appreciate your help on the matter.

Her Response: If you read further down the same web page, you will see that upper levels courses are allowed to substitute.

So we can essentially replace gen chem with higher level courses like o chem or biochemistry!!!

Hope this helps those who were unsure of applying!

dam it i took my general chemistry out side in a community college, what should i do?

Also from Coopers site:
Why do prerequisites have to be taken at a 4-year college or university?
Our policy about prerequisite coursework does not exclude all courses taken at community colleges – only the courses used to satisfy 2 semesters of Biology with lab, 2 of Chemistry with lab, and one composition course. We recognize that many individuals have taken work at community colleges, so we are flexible in our policy – any upper level electives in the same subject can substitute for the indicated prerequisite courses. These decisions were not made lightly, and we considered the different approaches to allow for maximum flexibility while ensuring that we can see a record of strong academic achievement. We accept applicants from the entire United States, and we must set standards that promote the maximum chance of success for accepted applicants.

Also from Coopers site:
Why do prerequisites have to be taken at a 4-year college or university?
Our policy about prerequisite coursework does not exclude all courses taken at community colleges – only the courses used to satisfy 2 semesters of Biology with lab, 2 of Chemistry with lab, and one composition course. We recognize that many individuals have taken work at community colleges, so we are flexible in our policy – any upper level electives in the same subject can substitute for the indicated prerequisite courses. These decisions were not made lightly, and we considered the different approaches to allow for maximum flexibility while ensuring that we can see a record of strong academic achievement. We accept applicants from the entire United States, and we must set standards that promote the maximum chance of success for accepted applicants.

OK good. I took general chemistry at a community college. I think that requirement is silly especially considering the fact that my university GPA is much higher (3.9) than my city college GPA (3.7). If this ends up being a problem I am not going to be happy. :mad:

Last edited:
It says in the FAQ on their website that upper level coursework can be substituted in for the required classes if they were taken at a CC- so I took gen chem at CC and organic chem and biochem at a 4 year university, so I'm guessing this is ok?

It says in the FAQ on their website that upper level coursework can be substituted in for the required classes if they were taken at a CC- so I took gen chem at CC and organic chem and biochem at a 4 year university, so I'm guessing this is ok?

I am in the same position as you. I did general chemistry at a CC and organic chemistry and biochemistry at a four-year. I am going to call the admissions office on monday and find out what kind of exceptions they make. I'll post back in this thread once I get more information.

I tried calling the admissions office and they have not returned my call. If anyone has any information on this topic please share it!

I don't know about calling but they typically respond better to emails.

I tried calling the admissions office and they have not returned my call. If anyone has any information on this topic please share it!

Seeing as I'm not applying this cycle nor am I going to cooper I'll leave your thread be. I just wanted to mention for those who are stressing------I had CC inorganic chem, english and physics. I took ochem and upper bio at my university (but not physics or any "true" english classes).

I was also OOS when I applied/interviewed. I was placed on the priority WL, then I was contacted in spring asking if I would take a cooper acceptance over my number one. I withdrew from cooper at that point. So I would say I was pretty successful despite being OOS and having CC credits. Like I said earlier, their mission is the biggest thing for them. They really want to make sure their matriculants match.

Last edited:
I called admissions and they told me that if you take upper-division biology and Lab, as well as organic chemistry and Lab at a four-year, you will meet the requirements.

Great, thanks for the update!

My opinion u have a good shot. It really depends on each person and other factors (personal statement, ecs, letters) but with your stats I don't think you will be screened out.

South Jersey Resident, 3.57, 31 (12/10/9) Think I have a shot here? Would love to go here

Do you think mentioning research interests with this school would be a down-side? After all, the school's mission seems very clinical and their website doesn't seem to feature much research at all..

Do you think mentioning research interests with this school would be a down-side? After all, the school's mission seems very clinical and their website doesn't seem to feature much research at all..

No, it shouldn't be. With the merger that takes place tomorrow, Monday, Rowan University is granted Research Status. The merger being its acquisition of another medical school.

Hello everyone! New member and longtime lurker here applying this application cycle. I'm an NJ resident, and am applying to Cooper! Just a quick question for any current students (anyone else who knows the answer to this is free to chime in as well!): What is the housing situation like? Do you live right in Camden, does the school offer housing? Or do you live elsewhere and commute? The school looks great, but the surrounding area is not one I would feel terribly safe in. Thanks for your help! :)

Hello everyone! New member and longtime lurker here applying this application cycle. I'm an NJ resident, and am applying to Cooper! Just a quick question for any current students (anyone else who knows the answer to this is free to chime in as well!): What is the housing situation like? Do you live right in Camden, does the school offer housing? Or do you live elsewhere and commute? The school looks great, but the surrounding area is not one I would feel terribly safe in. Thanks for your help! :)

You can get your own housing in Camden or in surrounding cities and commute in. There is no housing provided by the school.