2013-2014 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please indicate your plans for the 2013-14 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else have their sights on Dartmouth? I'm a reapplicant but this is my first time submitting to this school. Would *love* a chance to visit :love: (I've never been to NH)

Anybody else have their sights on Dartmouth? I'm a reapplicant but this is my first time submitting to this school. Would *love* a chance to visit :love: (I've never been to NH)
I am applying here! I dont expect anything since I am a Texas resident with average stat, but I am applying anyway due to FAP. Hopefully they will show some love, along with waiving thr secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying here! I dont expect anything since I am a Texas resident with average stat, but I am applying anyway due to FAP. Hopefully they will show some love, along with waiving thr secondary

Also applying here with FAP. I think its a really nice school! Does anyone know if they waive the secondary with FAP automatically or do we have to send an email?

Also applying here with FAP. I think its a really nice school! Does anyone know if they waive the secondary with FAP automatically or do we have to send an email?

I really love the look of the town from google pictures haha...and obviously their reputation.

I actually have no idea on the secondary either so hopefully someone can chime in! Hopefully they waive off everything instead of just half

I really love the look of the town from google pictures haha...and obviously their reputation.

Hanover is gorgeous! Such a great little town.

Reactions: 1 user

IIRC, they waive the secondary fee automatically. Most schools do this, actually; only a handful of the 20+ schools I applied to didn't.

I'm applying. it's a long shot because my lady doesn't want to move out to the boonies, but if she gets a job out there it could be pretty good pay.

also... does having not gone to a fancy pants school for undergrad hurt? i dunno about everyone else, maybe I've some sort of collegiate inferiority complex, but every time i see a fancy ivy school i think, aw shucks, i can't get in there...

Last edited:
Pulling for Dartmouth - I think I could be competitive here but trying to get a better feel for what they're looking for in applicants. The policy research here is also some A+ work that I'd like to get involved in..

I'm applying. it's a long shot because my lady doesn't want to move out to the boonies, but if she gets a job out there it could be pretty good pay.

also... does having not gone to a fancy pants school for undergrad hurt? i dunno about everyone else, maybe I've some sort of collegiate inferiority complex, but every time i see a fancy ivy school i think, aw shucks, i can't get in there...

Most GSM students are NOT from fancy schools - you'll be in great company!

And as far as the boonies goes, yeah, its the boonies, but bring your lady when you visit for your interview - it's very nice out here, quaint, you guys will like it. There's a lot to like about Hanover, even if there's no Target or Olive Garden nearby (or major movie theater haha).

I'm applying from Canuckistan up north, don't really mind living in the boonies.

Does anyone else call it the Dr. Seuss School of Medicine? Dartmouth has the most awesome namesake for its med school!

Members don't see this ad :)

And as far as the boonies goes, yeah, its the boonies, but bring your lady when you visit for your interview - it's very nice out here, quaint, you guys will like it. There's a lot to like about Hanover, even if there's no Target or Olive Garden nearby (or major movie theater haha).

There's a local movie theater right on the main drag in downtown hanover called the Nugget that shows some pretty good movies and has some wicked good popcorn. Downtown hanover tries to keep things pretty local but West Leb. is a 10 minute drive and has pretty much all you could need in terms of shopping and major movie theaters.

just got the secondary e-mail...anyone else having trouble logging in?

Question: does dartmouth have video recorded lectures? I have conflicting data on this.

Still trying to decide whether or not to apply here..such a small class size!

Secondary :) Submitting mine today.

Please indicate your plans for the 2013-14 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Hey did you receive yours today? Still nothing for me

Reapplicant as well. I interviewed here but got waitlisted. Giving it another shot though, I hope they interview me again. :love:

I guess you know better since you're a student here but everyone at my interview was from an Ivy or some huge name. :scared:

When I introduced myself and said I was from a state university, the entire room erupted in laughter and, after finding out that I wasn't being ironic, the dean made me eat lunch alone outside in the brisk December chill. :(

Character limits?

Basically every medical school you will be interviewing alongside a lot of kids from ivies and other very good schools. But don't be intimidated... you are interviewing for the same medical school and you probbaly paid a fraction of what they did for the same outcome. Joke's on them!

Basically every medical school you will be interviewing alongside a lot of kids from ivies and other very good schools. But don't be intimidated... you are interviewing for the same medical school and you probbaly paid a fraction of what they did for the same outcome. Joke's on them!

yeah I dunno about that. I went to a private school and it wasn't cheap. Probably the only reason it was cheaper was because I graduated a while ago :)

I received secondaries on Friday. To the people who did not receive one, have your AMCAS been verified yet? Perhaps Dartmouth is one of those schools that waits to receive the primaries before sending out secondaries.

Also, someone asked about character limits. There are no limits, which I loved.

I received secondaries on Friday. To the people who did not receive one, have your AMCAS been verified yet? Perhaps Dartmouth is one of those schools that waits to receive the primaries before sending out secondaries.

Also, someone asked about character limits. There are no limits, which I loved.

Yes, I was verified quite a while ago. Hoping to get the secondary tomorrow.

Curious, what are you guys putting for the last essay? I was thinking either talking about my teaching experiences or how certain events in my childhood shaped me into who I am (thought they were bad experiences as a kid, but now I realize my personality and where I am today is owed to those events and they are good events!)

On the secondary application, it says that applicants that are not US citizens and US permanent residents are required to submit a copy of a green card. Does this apply to Canadians? I know Dartmouth takes Canadian students but if I live in Canada, how am I supposed to get a green card?

Nevermind, I think this only applies to non-citizens who identified themselves as permanent residents. Sorry about that!

Still haven't got a secondary :/

I'm sure you'll get it soon. I haven't been verified yet (submitted on June 24th so I'm not even close to being verified yet lol) and I got it this morning.

Just received a secondary this morning. Like bella91xox, I'm not verified yet either, so I'm not really sure why I got a secondary just yet.

They want your money.

I was slightly taken by surprise when I saw the $130 fee. My old MSAR from two or three years ago had $85 listed. Inflation?

Last edited:
"Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file."

Anyone else have trouble with this question? Between my personal statement and 3 essays on AMCAS I don't know that there is much else for me to talk about :/