2013-2014 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you? I heard nothing from them since completion.

No i haven't. Thought at least some people should have heard from them... Isn't their first app day in September this year?

Btw, when did u complete? Me at the end of August...

No i haven't. Thought at least some people should have heard from them... Isn't their first app day in September this year?

Btw, when did u complete? Me at the end of August...

Not yet (I hope I do get one eventually), I completed some time before you did. I was hoping that some folks would give updates but it seems we don't get as many frequenters as last cycle.

I supposed in my case that I might not be as strong an applicant as I originally thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi this Brian Chan, MS1, President of the Duke-NUS MD Class of 2017 (Academic Year 2013/2014). My friends and I are slightly more than a month into school; we're wrapping up Molecules and Cells next week. I understand that the first applicant day for 2014 admissions will be tomorrow, 10 September 2013, at the Duke-NUS campus. We're looking forward to meeting all of you.

If you have any queries or concerns please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Please note that I cannot give out information regarding the status of any individual applicant - please refer those questions to the programme leadership (contacts available on the Duke-NUS website) or Duke-NUS admissions department.

Best of luck.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your update:)
Can I ask if the applicant day tmr is mostly for Singapore residents? Are October interview invitations out already?

Hi this Brian Chan, MS1, President of the Duke-NUS MD Class of 2017 (Academic Year 2013/2014). My friends and I are slightly more than a month into school; we're wrapping up Molecules and Cells next week. I understand that the first applicant day for 2014 admissions will be tomorrow, 10 September 2013, at the Duke-NUS campus. We're looking forward to meeting all of you.

If you have any queries or concerns please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Please note that I cannot give out information regarding the status of any individual applicant - please refer those questions to the programme leadership (contacts available on the Duke-NUS website) or Duke-NUS admissions department.

Best of luck.

Hey everyone, I am applying to Duke-NUS this year as well.

If I could offer a few tips so essential to eliminate unwanted stress and tachycardia as you await the reply from Duke-NUS, I would say be patient and continue to do the things you do. Be it in the wait for an invitation, or the wait for acceptance for some of you after today. Easier said than done, but easier done than going through the emotional stress.

As for the applicant day, please enjoy the session. And it isn't just a passing remark that one should try to 'enjoy' the session, it really is enjoyable.

Lastly, you are probably more ready than you think you are, so don't panic or worry too much. All the best! Whoever you are, I'm pretty sure you'll look good in white! :)

Hey everyone, I am applying to Duke-NUS this year as well.

If I could offer a few tips so essential to eliminate unwanted stress and tachycardia as you await the reply from Duke-NUS, I would say be patient and continue to do the things you do. Be it in the wait for an invitation, or the wait for acceptance for some of you after today. Easier said than done, but easier done than going through the emotional stress.

As for the applicant day, please enjoy the session. And it isn't just a passing remark that one should try to 'enjoy' the session, it really is enjoyable.

Lastly, you are probably more ready than you think you are, so don't panic or worry too much. All the best! Whoever you are, I'm pretty sure you'll look good in white! :)

You went already? Congrats! I am still waiting for an interview invite though! :oops:

Yes and that was last year. So if you havent already know, I am a reapplicant. :)

Please let me clarify :p, since I'm also a re-applicant. I went last year too, in Durham. But I live in SIngapore now, I'm afraid they still think I'm in the US. Hence the lack of invitation. But maybe my MCAT is just not strong enough.

Have you received II for this cycle? Were you waitlisted last year? THANKS! :thumbup:

Please let me clarify :p, since I'm also a re-applicant. I went last year too, in Durham. But I live in SIngapore now, I'm afraid they still think I'm in the US. Hence the lack of invitation. But maybe my MCAT is just not strong enough.

Have you received II for this cycle? Were you waitlisted last year? THANKS! :thumbup:

Yes I was waitlisted until this April, when I got the dissapointing news. What's II?
I am applying during the regular period.

Let's do our best :thumbup:

Yes I was waitlisted until this April, when I got the dissapointing news. What's II?
I am applying during the regular period.

Let's do our best :thumbup:

Interview Invite = II.
I applied early, but haven't received any news so far. My life is bleak right now. Ugh.

I will strive to be the very best too.:thumbup:

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your update:)
Can I ask if the applicant day tmr is mostly for Singapore residents? Are October interview invitations out already?

Hi Angelvictoria,

The school doesn't really make a distinction between local and international applicants. If they feel that you have a strong application, they will call you up. I think most of the applicants on 10 September were locals. Some invitations for the October applicant day have been sent out.

Brian

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I'm feeling so anxious right now...:scared:

Does anybody know when will they send out invitation for people in the US??? Or were they already sent? :(

For 2014 MD programme intake applicant: Anyone recieve notice to go for applicant day?

Anyone gotten any notice to attend applicant day?

For those asking about Applicant's Day, it seems like nobody here got one. I'm beginning to suspect that in my case, my app isn't that strong to begin with. Another suspicion is they think I'm still in the US (but impossible).

I just received a newsletter confirming the start of interview season for Duke-NUS already. So I guess what we can do now is hope for the best, and improve your app. Who knows I might need to re-reapply. :scared:

Hi Angelvictoria,

The school doesn't really make a distinction between local and international applicants. If they feel that you have a strong application, they will call you up. I think most of the applicants on 10 September were locals. Some invitations for the October applicant day have been sent out.

Brian

When is the October applicant day?

I was in the 10th Sep applicant day. I am still waiting for the interview results. How long does it take to receive the results?

There will be an applicant day next Friday. Applicants usually hear from the school anytime from a couple of weeks to several months after their interview.

Hi all , sorry to hijack this 2014 thread with this question

Im going to apply for the 2015 entry. I am based in the US now and will be finishing up my PhD by next year.

However i see that only 1-3 phd holders are admitted on a yearly basis, I was wondering if anyone can give some insight on this.. : Are applicants with a PhD are at a disadvantage? Im trying to tell myself maybe the pool of such applicants is smaller but I heard/read from other threads (e.g the 2012/2013 thread) that this is not true. :eek::eek:

There will be an applicant day next Friday. Applicants usually hear from the school anytime from a couple of weeks to several months after their interview.

Dear Brionman06,

May I ask if the applicant day next Friday is in Singapore or the US. If it's in Singapore, what would be the earliest day for US applicant day?? Thank you so much

Hi all , sorry to hijack this 2014 thread with this question

Im going to apply for the 2015 entry. I am based in the US now and will be finishing up my PhD by next year.

However i see that only 1-3 phd holders are admitted on a yearly basis, I was wondering if anyone can give some insight on this.. : Are applicants with a PhD are at a disadvantage? Im trying to tell myself maybe the pool of such applicants is smaller but I heard/read from other threads (e.g the 2012/2013 thread) that this is not true. :eek::eek:

Unlike US or Europe where more PhD places are available and getting a PhD is kind of a norm, there are very few PhD positions and PhD holders in Singapore until recently. Not many people are interested in doing a PhD in Singapore anyway thus the demand and supply are lower compared to US and Europe. Therefore what you see is simply less PhD holder applying rather than a biased against PhD. I have two seniors who was my mentor in my Undergraduate years getting into the Duke-NUS. Both had a PhD.

The paucity of PhD applicant is most likely due to less interest locally (not a norm to study so long) and internationally (the bond in Singapore) as well as low supply locally. A few of my PhD friends are not interested in another 4 years of study with another 4 years bond. The number may seem huge but proportion is small...

Another mention is that while Duke-NUS is very research oriented, this is afterall a medical school. Bragging too much on the research with little evidence on your human side and your character is also to your disadvantage since the school is not looking for smarties but an all rounded person. The have been saying that for many years. A PhD holder will tend to brag too much on their research since this is a very good habit in research, they may not realise that there are many people without a PhD who has many papers, done a lot of research with years of experience or simply a very good credentials coming from top labs. In addition to that they show an all rounded personality in community involvement as a character that cares for people that can be seen from people around them. I do not believe in a bias against PhD but rather a disadvantage in numbers and the way they are portrayed.

Last edited:
Dear Brionman06,

May I ask if the applicant day next Friday is in Singapore or the US. If it's in Singapore, what would be the earliest day for US applicant day?? Thank you so much

There's an Applicant Day at Duke on Thursday November 21st! Is anyone else here attending this one? :)

Do you mind telling your MCAT score ?
Yeah, no problem.
I took the MCAT twice but I think they only look at the previous one. The first time, it went horribly 26 - 6/10/10, I got 32 on my second time - 11/11/10 (VR/BS/PS).

I was to
Yeah, no problem.
I took the MCAT twice but I think they only look at the previous one. The first time, it went horribly 26 - 6/10/10, I got 32 on my second time - 11/11/10 (VR/BS/PS).
I was told they look at the highest score

Yeah, no problem.
Anyway good luck with ur applicant day

Hi all,
I am just about to finish my application but I'm having trouble viewing my finished application in PDF. My activities description is showing past the margin and are not showing properly. Did anyone else had this problem? If so, how do I solve this?

I have sent an email to Duke-NUS, but have not received a reply yet.

Hi all,
I am just about to finish my application but I'm having trouble viewing my finished application in PDF. My activities description is showing past the margin and are not showing properly. Did anyone else had this problem? If so, how do I solve this?

I had the same problem and I called the admissions office. Tammie told me that it looked fine on her computer. I guess it was some software issue of my laptop. Tammie also emailed me a complete version of my application to proofread before I pressed the "submit" button. You probably could do the same thing;-)

Hi all,

Same with my application. I don't think it's a problem because I've been told that my file is being processed right now. By the way, I wrote to Tammie twice and she replied within two days. So you should hear back soon. Good luck!

Anyone been to the Applicant day for the 2014 intake and could share what it's like this year?

Is the deadline for this program Dec 1st, as in BEFORE the 1st, or 1st, as in before the 1st ends?

Anyone been to the Applicant day for the 2014 intake and could share what it's like this year?
I went to one at Duke. It was pretty fun and relaxing. The Dean will talk to you about the school for a little. Then you will start to do the TeamLEAD exercise as you will be assigned into groups. There will be an essay and then 2 rounds of interview. I had the interviews with a faculty and a current student. It was fun as they were trying to get to know me better. Not much pressure in my opinion. Then they will talk to you one more time about medicine and Duke-NUS. That's all I can tell you due. They'll tell you the same thing when they sent you the invitation. Good luck

I think I went to the same one as kntran1010 up there, and I had pretty much the same impression. One extra piece of info is that you might write the essay first then have the interviews, or have the interviews first then write the essay, depending on what group you're randomly assigned to. There is also a lunch break between TeamLead and essay+interview. The TeamLEAD session was quite an interesting and fun experience, and I found it great because it got us to loosen up and start talking before the interviews. Good luck!

Many thanks to kntran1010 and MorningMatcha for replying to my question. I have not received a formal invitation yet, and I hope the admission office's email (see quote below) is not setting me up for disappointment...

"I will send you a formal interview invite once your application has been reviewed."

Many thanks to kntran1010 and MorningMatcha for replying to my question. I have not received a formal invitation yet, and I hope the admission office's email (see quote below) is not setting me up for disappointment...

"I will send you a formal interview invite once your application has been reviewed."

That sounds a bit weird... How can the admissions guarantee an II before the app is reviewed?
Btw, I went to the Oct Applicant Day in Singapore and received the offer letter last week!! So excited!! ^-^ Nothing from FA yet though...

That sounds a bit weird... How can the admissions guarantee an II before the app is reviewed?
Btw, I went to the Oct Applicant Day in Singapore and received the offer letter last week!! So excited!! ^-^ Nothing from FA yet though...

Congrats! I'm a graduate student in Canada as well. Hope I'll have your good fortune too.

Anyway, I find the email weird too...I was told to block a specific date too! Please let this be real!!!!!!!!

Congratulation!!! I went to the November applicant day in Singapore. Have not received any news afterwards.... How long did the school take to give your the offer after the interview?

Congratulation!!! I went to the November applicant day in Singapore. Have not received any news afterwards.... How long did the school take to give your the offer after the interview?
It took about 6-7 wks this year. A bit longer than previous years. I was checking my email hundreds of times a day...

Thanks for the prompt reply :) Are you doing a PhD in Canada? In what area? Do you mind to share a bit of your background? Have you heard anyone else received offer as well?

Hi, anyone submited their application on the last day like me here? I am re-applicant and I got my II really quickly last year. I am a little nervous that I haven't receive it this year, so can I ask how long did you people wait this year?

Hi, anyone submited their application on the last day like me here? I am re-applicant and I got my II really quickly last year. I am a little nervous that I haven't receive it this year, so can I ask how long did you people wait this year?
Last day, even final hours here. I think they are still waiting for a few documents to be received though.

why is the application thread so quiet compared to prior years?

Thanks for the prompt reply :) Are you doing a PhD in Canada? In what area? Do you mind to share a bit of your background? Have you heard anyone else received offer as well?

As far as I know, at least another two applicants from October interview received offer as well.
Yup doing my PhD in Canada now, but i didn't do my undergrad here. I'm not sure about how my GPA looks like among the candidates as it's hard to compare btw transcripts from different countries (even after WES conversion), but I did my MCAT pretty well (among top 1% according to the stats from AAMC website).

As far as I know, at least another two applicants from October interview received offer as well.
Yup doing my PhD in Canada now, but i didn't do my undergrad here. I'm not sure about how my GPA looks like among the candidates as it's hard to compare btw transcripts from different countries (even after WES conversion), but I did my MCAT pretty well (among top 1% according to the stats from AAMC website).

Wow. That is an excellent MCAT score !!! Congrats again and I hope we could become classmates in 2018:)

Hey, I also did the same thing as you, submitting on the last day. Btw, I am a reapplicant too.
Based on my previous experience, they usually have limited interview slots in Dec as most of the faculties are clearing their leaves.
Have a bit more faith k?
I am sure you will be shortlisted for interview as long as you have shown that you have made significant improvement as compared to the last application.
Cheers !

Last edited:
Hey, I also did the same thing as you, submitting on the last day. Btw, I am a reapplicant too.
Based on my previous experience, they usually have limited interview slots in Dec as most of the faculties are clearing their leaves.
Have a bit more faith k?
I am sure you will be shortlisted for interview as long as you have shown that you have made significant improvement as compared to the last application.
Cheers !

yeah sure. I just realised that my transcript has not been delivered yet. I did not re-take my MCAT, but I'm guessing most re-applicant do. Don't know if I should do it in early 2014 and update my application. Does that even help?