2013-2014 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not going to Harvard but have just withdrawn from Duke-NUS. Hope my place goes to one of you.
Congrats! Can I ask where you got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! This helps a lot. Still seems a little vague on the MCAT scores though. So what my professor said was any publications you have will help out a lot in the application process, whether from post bac or undergraduate research. Mainly because duke's program is so heavily research oriented. Have you heard anything?

Well I suppose having publications is definitely an added bonus to your applications! And that's likely to be a bonus when applying to most schools. I haven't heard about the part on whether or not publications helps, I guess I just figured it's useful and will be beneficial. But well, everyone gets a different set of opportunities to learn and grow. Some may have more experience volunteering, some may have more experience in research or more experience working with patients etc.

Hi all, my first post here.

I plan to apply for dec 1st admission for 2015.
I have a biomed degree with not so fascinating GPA, (i think it's average, definitely not 3.5; not so sure after the WES conversiom) + 1st class honours and 2 years of working experience in non-science field. I plan to take my MCAT in sept after ~ 5 months of preparation. So far i do not have any volunteer work. I plan to have my supervisor write my LOR + another 2 from my current company. What are my chances of getting an interview let alone accepeted into duke-nus? Any part which I need to improve on?

Regarding MCAT:
1. how do you prepare for it aside from TBR, EK? I have poor chem background and unfortunately, i've returned most of my physics to my teachers. Is 5 months of preparation enough?
2. has anybody tried MCAT zone for prep courses? Will it help? Any feedback?

I noticed some have mentioned shadowing doctors? How do I do that? Is that a volunteer work or as a part-time/full time hire at the hospital? For volunteer work, is there any specific field that i should look at or any volunteer work at the hospitals is good?

It's quite quiet here... hope to get a reply soon...

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Not going to Harvard but have just withdrawn from Duke-NUS. Hope my place goes to one of you.
Although it's good news for us waitlist people. What is your reason behind the withdrawal? If it's really personal then just ignore this question then :)

Although it's good news for us waitlist people. What is your reason behind the withdrawal? If it's really personal then just ignore this question then :)

Ended up going with the choice that would let me stay close to my girlfriend basically. (I really hope I'm not making a BIG mistake) Nothing against Duke-NUS if that's what you are concerned about.

Last edited:
A school in the South. Would prefer not to divulge too much info. Sorry
Ah, I fully understand. I mean, getting accepted to Duke and turning down Duke-NUS is just fine. ;-)

Haha, I'm just joking, but that would be the most interesting situation. You don't have to comment, sorry to ask. =)

Sorry to intercept the thread. With the new application cycle approaching, I just want to ask about my chance with 3.42 cGPA and 37 MCAT. Should I not bother applying with my low GPA? I'm considering Duke-NUS for familial reasons.

Sorry to intercept the thread. With the new application cycle approaching, I just want to ask about my chance with 3.42 cGPA and 37 MCAT. Should I not bother applying with my low GPA? I'm considering Duke-NUS for familial reasons.

Go for it!!! I got an interview with lower GPA and MCAT.

Urgggg.......any movement on the waiting list recently? I've been checking my email inbox for every 5 seconds everyday.....Anyone is going to reapply next year?

heyy all,

i got accepted elsewhere, decided to tk it up.. not gonna apply to dukenus anymore. so, if u r still deciding if u wanna tk on d mcat monster or ure looking ard for resources, pm me! ive lots to offload to raise funds for med school! Haha

If u r still trying the mcat, dun give up!
If u r still trying to get accepted, dun give up!

Urgggg.......any movement on the waiting list recently? I've been checking my email inbox for every 5 seconds everyday.....Anyone is going to reapply next year?

No news for me either... I wonder if they would tell us what positions we're at on the waiting list

Members don't see this ad :)
No news for me either... I wonder if they would tell us what positions we're at on the waiting list
I emailed them and ask but they wouldn't give such information but a general reply "you'll typically hear back from us by end July"

I emailed them and ask but they wouldn't give such information but a general reply "you'll typically hear back from us by end July"

such pain!!! I think they know where we sit long ago...I was told that it's typical for students hear back as late as june/july in march...

I just got the rejection letter today.
Very disappointing news but at least it's over. Thinking about reapplying. Any tips?

Hi! I am planning to apply for Duke-NUS next cycle. For the successful applicants for 2014/2015, do you mind sharing your stats? - MCAT, GPA, any publications, volunteerism etc.? Its quite worrying to know that people with good MCAT/GPA are still getting rejected. Wonder what went wrong...Thank you...

Hi! I am planning to apply for Duke-NUS next cycle. For the successful applicants for 2014/2015, do you mind sharing your stats? - MCAT, GPA, any publications, volunteerism etc.? Its quite worrying to know that people with good MCAT/GPA are still getting rejected. Wonder what went wrong...Thank you...

Hello, you can refer to Brian's post in Pages 1 and 3 of this thread. That should give u some guidelines with regards to putting together a strong application. My personal feel is that applicants are getting more competitive every year. So while a MCAT score of 30 may be sufficient in previous years, it may not be enough if you are applying next cycle. That said, the school assesses every candidate in a holistic manner, so applicants may be able to get away with lower MCAT/GPA if they have excellent research background (publications), lots of volunteer work, sterling CCA records, experience in shadowing physicians etc..

I was lucky to be accepted despite not having much volunteering work or shadowing experience. But I guess I made up for it with strong LORs, MCAT and GPA. My advice is to look hard at your application, and try to work on those aspects that you feel can be improved on. Ultimately, you want to stand out from other applicants to have a good chance of getting accepted.

All the best![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
This school is not as ideal as many purport it to be. So, please choose wisely.

Reactions: 1 user
This school is not as ideal as many purport it to be. So, please choose wisely.

Care to elaborate? Wiser to hear pros and cons for those making a decision

Last edited:
Not supposed to share it but it is important for applicants to know.. Apparently it plays dirty politics to weed out students and a few have so called "willingly' left the school. It is pretty much a cut throat environment so do consider other choices if possible.

In terms of politics, I believe it exists at all places, not just medical school or Duke-NUS. There is no doubt that medical school is a cut throat environment. People who are chosen to attend medical school usually have type A personality and are perfectionists. But, just to see if the school will be a good fit, I am curious to know what types of students they have chosen to weed out? If you feel uncomfortable sharing it in the forum, you can send me a message. And, thanks so much for sharing. It's good to hear a different perspective.