2013-2014 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Can definitely see myself here! Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Love the unique curriculum here! Great outlook on the needs of Florida via an emphasis on primary care in rural and underserved areas. Good luck everyone!

2013 grad here - feel free to PM if you have any questions.

4th year here, PM if you have questions.

good luck everyone

1st year here. PM me with questions

FSU M's: can you give an idea of your daily schedule in a week? Although it changes a lot, a general idea would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

How do stats compare to their posted averages for those accepted OOS? Anyone students know?

How do stats compare to their posted averages for those accepted OOS? Any students know? Thanks

How do stats compare to their posted averages for those accepted OOS? Any students know? Thanks

Don't know about the actual stats, buts it's definitely not a particularly OOS friendly school.

Re-applicant here. I am really putting in alot of extra time into my essays this round and pushing forward my improvements from last round. I am much more hopeful that I will see many more interviews this round.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are regional campuses assigned? Do students get to pick where they'd like to go?

What's unique about it?

I thought it was unique because of its emphasis on rural primary care and how you get trained at several campuses throughout Florida instead of just Tally! Their mission is very clear on what they want.

I thought it was unique because of its emphasis on rural primary care and how you get trained at several campuses throughout Florida instead of just Tally! Their mission is very clear on what they want.

I'm pumped about the rural track locations (they are optional by the way)....hoping to spend some time on immokalle

How are regional campuses assigned? Do students get to pick where they'd like to go?

Mostly. Although as the highly coveted locations fill, those remaining get fewer options. Basically, students list their preferences and then submit a document explaining why they want those sites. If you have kids or a family near one of the rotation sites, that's probably good justification.

They explain the whole process in the handbook.

http://med.fsu.edu/userfiles/file/StudentHandbook.pdf

Last edited:
is this school also good for specialization or is it only for primary care

If only there was a website that would allow to type in keywords and it would take you to the answer......keywords like "fsu" and "match list". I bet I could make a fortune ;)

Hey guys good luck! Anyone have there application verified through amcas!?

Did u turn your in day 1? I turned mine in the 11

Yes. I turned it in right at opening time. Don't sweat it too much as the apps cannot be uploaded to the schools until June 28th anyway. Best of luck!

When I was doing my shadowing, I was with an M3 from FSU as well I asked about the regional hospital thing. And he said he seemed to prefer FSU's system of sending third and fourth years to other hospitals throughout the state rather than having an affiliated hospital like UF/Shands...he said because there were less med students at the hospital he was doing his rotations at, he got to do more hands on things whereas at a med school affiliated hospital you would only get to do things if the doctor/attending/resident/4th year wasnt going to do it.

AS for the secondaries..one of my kaplan TA's applied last cycle and said there were several long essays to complete as opposed to other schools were there may be just five quick short answers.

Here we go again...round 3!!!! Third time's the charm right?!

You guys verified?

I submitted on 6/12 and still not verified, hopefully the beginning of next week...

Hope to get a secondary soon.

Just realized my app has not been verified.

Last edited:
It would be nice if those who already received the secondary shared the prompt.

When I was doing my shadowing, I was with an M3 from FSU as well I asked about the regional hospital thing. And he said he seemed to prefer FSU's system of sending third and fourth years to other hospitals throughout the state rather than having an affiliated hospital like UF/Shands...he said because there were less med students at the hospital he was doing his rotations at, he got to do more hands on things whereas at a med school affiliated hospital you would only get to do things if the doctor/attending/resident/4th year wasnt going to do it.

This is certainly true. I'm starting a residency in EM and I feel a lot more competent than some of my peers that went to more traditional schools (some of which are top med schools). When we were practicing central lines on mannequins, the attending asked if we'd done them before. One person said they had done 1 or 2, another said they had only done them on a mannequin. I felt a little uncomfortable saying that I had done at least 30 between my MICU and EM rotations. Same with suturing. We sewed up some pigs feet during orientation. They were going over basic suturing technique and, although I'm certainly not the best at suturing, I feel competent with all of my techniques and knot tying. Some people said they'd sutured a couple times - on my gen surg rotation, i closed every dang wound for 2 months......it to the point where I was pretty over it. My attending would close the abdominal fascia then just leave, letting me close the sub-q and skin layers. After 8 weeks of doing this several times a day, I learned a lot. I'm not saying I'm going to be an all-star intern, but FSU certainly gives you a ton of hands-on learning that will help down the road.

Also, I interviewed at a truly elite program for residency with an FSU student in the program. He said that he was the best intern in the program because "FSU treats fourth year med students like interns."

Good luck all.

This is certainly true. I'm starting a residency in EM and I feel a lot more competent than some of my peers that went to more traditional schools (some of which are top med schools). When we were practicing central lines on mannequins, the attending asked if we'd done them before. One person said they had done 1 or 2, another said they had only done them on a mannequin. I felt a little uncomfortable saying that I had done at least 30 between my MICU and EM rotations. Same with suturing. We sewed up some pigs feet during orientation. They were going over basic suturing technique and, although I'm certainly not the best at suturing, I feel competent with all of my techniques and knot tying. Some people said they'd sutured a couple times - on my gen surg rotation, i closed every dang wound for 2 months......it to the point where I was pretty over it. My attending would close the abdominal fascia then just leave, letting me close the sub-q and skin layers. After 8 weeks of doing this several times a day, I learned a lot. I'm not saying I'm going to be an all-star intern, but FSU certainly gives you a ton of hands-on learning that will help down the road.

Also, I interviewed at a truly elite program for residency with an FSU student in the program. He said that he was the best intern in the program because "FSU treats fourth year med students like interns."

Good luck all.

That's great insight! Thanks TimesNewRoman :)

Props to FSU for having a FREE secondary....God bless you!

Hey for the what speciality are you interested in did u guys put family medicine? I'm not sure at all but leaning towards family medicine

Hey for the what speciality are you interested in did u guys put family medicine? I'm not sure at all but leaning towards family medicine

I'm primary care all the way....em as a distant second choice

I'm primary care all the way....em as a distant second choice

Ok, so there are two things at play here:

1) FSU "doesn't care what you go into" but the fact of the matter is that if they think there is 0% chance you'll go into primary care, your app will be hurt significantly. They are pretty supportive of whatever you want to do once you're there (a lot of that comes from the fact that you make the decision of what you want to pursue after you go to a regional campus where they doesn't necessarily believe in the same dogma as the FSU med school proper), but their mission is to create primary care docs (which I think is hurting the students as midlevels are taking over primary care, but that's a whole different conversation).

If you write "I want to be an orthopod/neurosurgeon/interventional cardiologist...." your app will most likely be hurt. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

What you can do without lying is say that you don't know what you want to do, but have been interested in X, Y and Z (making sure at least one of those is FM, Peds, etc). Say why you see the appeal of serving the underserved/rural/minority population and relate it back to an experience that you've done serving those communities. That's not lying and it's what they want to hear.

2) No med school really wants the student who walks in the door and says "I'm going to be an orthropod"......."all I care about is ortho".......etc. No one is going to like that student because they will seem disinterested on their ob/gyn, psych, IM rotations. You don't want to be close-minded. Also, you just haven't seen enough medicine yet. Even if you have done the most shadowing/whatever in the class, you still have only probably 10% of the clinical exposure you're going to get over the next 4 years. Doing something for a few hours a week is drastically different from getting up at 4AM to round and not hitting the pillow til midnight for weeks on end. You just can't get "good enough" exposure. I was "sure" I was going to go into a certain subspecialty coming into med school......and I'm not practicing that specialty. It happens to most people.

Ok, off my high horse. Good luck, all.

Go Noles.

Just reiterating what Times said, I think you would be...remiss, if you put anything other than a primary care specialty down for that subsection. I even got a bit of "backlash" lets call it, from my interviewer when I put down an internal medicine sub-specialty as my area of interest :laugh:. Remember, they want to graduate primary care docs, don't forget that when you apply. Are you forced into anything once you're here? Absolutely not. But the admissions committee definitely considers your interest, or lack thereof, when comparing applicants.

Also: Go Gators :)

How are you guys going about the questions that ask about your family members?
How in depth are you going? Are you just listing the answers or writing a full on essay?

How are you guys going about the questions that ask about your family members?
How in depth are you going? Are you just listing the answers or writing a full on essay?

I did short answers. I hope I wasn't supposed to write essays. I didn't really get that gist from the questions.

Just submitted secondary, woop.