2013-2014 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish
to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor? (if yes, 500 characters to explain)

Did you indicate that you were the recipient of any institutional action on your AMCAS application? (500 characters)

For the 2013-2014 application cycle (Summer 2013 through Summer 2014), please indicate activities,
academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours per
week) (750 characters)

What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750 characters)

What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you
contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage
of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Essay Prompt?

For the 2013-2014 application cycle (Summer 2013 through Summer 2014), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) (750 characters)

What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750 characters)

What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Just got a secondary invite!

Same same!

Essay Prompt?

Here are the main essays!
  • For the 2013-2014 application cycle (Summer 2013 through Summer 2014), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) (750 characters)
  • What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750 characters)
  • What makes you a unique individual? What challenges have you faced? How will these factors help you contribute to the diversity of the student body at GW? (1000 characters)
  • What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

Got a secondary and amcas hasn't even marked my transcript as received... I did go to GW for undergrad though

Same, I am sooooo confused about this!!!! How did they know I was applying there if they haven't even seen my AMCAS yet?! Has AMCAS released our info to med schools even if they haven't verified us?

Same, I am sooooo confused about this!!!! How did they know I was applying there if they haven't even seen my AMCAS yet?! Has AMCAS released our info to med schools even if they haven't verified us?

yes when you hit submit AMCAS automatically sends preliminary information to your schools

Members don't see this ad :)
We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue.

Weird, I was verified the very first day on June 10th.

Anyone having problems opening up an account?

What do y'all think, should we include descriptions with the "For the 2013-2014 application cycle (Summer 2013 through Summer 2014), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity" question? My work and activities are also included in the primary so it seems redundant to include descriptions here as well. I was just going to bullet-point list each work or activity item. Seem reasonable or not?

Me! I was sent a username and password and it keeps saying they are wrong when I try to log back in. Is that what's going on with you?[/QUOTE

No. My problem was that I tried to register as a 1st time user without getting emailed a password and username. After trying this 2-3 times instead of an error it finally said you're pass and username have been emailed to u to which I tried and it worked.

Another question, by the first question do they mean activities on your whole app for 4 yrs or just what ur doing for this next year?

Another question, by the first question do they mean activities on your whole app for 4 yrs or just what ur doing for this next year?

I interpreted it as just what you're doing for the next year during this application season.

I interpreted it as just what you're doing for the next year during this application season.

Agreed. Now, quick question.

What's the general rule with secondaries? Are questions like the first one supposed to be written out? Or can we just make a list of things?

Anyone else have this problem after submitting?

"We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue."

My Primary has been verified since June 10th.

1st secondary question: "For the 2013-2014 application cycle (Summer 2013 through Summer 2014), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) (750 characters)"

Basically they want you to account for what you will be doing for the 2013-2014 year, right? Are we supposed to do this in paragraph format? At first I was thinking of a list, but then I realized paragraph might be better. Opinions?

We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue.
Weird, I was verified the very first day on June 10th.

So for those of us who received the secondary before our primary has been verified, should we complete it anyway and send it in or is it preferable to wait till verification?

1st secondary question: "For the 2013-2014 application cycle (Summer 2013 through Summer 2014), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) (750 characters)"

Basically they want you to account for what you will be doing for the 2013-2014 year, right? Are we supposed to do this in paragraph format? At first I was thinking of a list, but then I realized paragraph might be better. Opinions?

I went with list format for these types of questions because it just seemed more efficient to me. But honestly there's no right or wrong, whatever feels natural for you then go for it.

Does George Washington counts characters with or without spaces?

So we need to write what we plan to do? I have a lot I can write about over the past year, but I am still coming up with ideas for this coming year..

Anyone else have this problem after submitting?

"We have received your secondary application to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. However, your AMCAS application is unverified. Please contact AMCAS regarding this issue."

My Primary has been verified since June 10th.

I got this message also and have been verified for over a week. I was thinking it might be because my committee letter has not arrived yet, but I will probably call AMCAS and see what they say anyway.

Secondary as well. I think I may doing a mix of lists and paragraphs again like I did for the the primary, depending on what feels most natural.

I have a question about their academic requirements:

Long story short, I took a Gen Chem class that squeezed two semesters into one and then when I realized the trap I set myself up for, they wouldn't let me take a second semester so I took Quantitative Analysis instead. Do you know if GW will accept Quant (inorganic)? I emailed them, but if I have no idea how long it will take to hear back haha.

Thanks!

I got this message also and have been verified for over a week. I was thinking it might be because my committee letter has not arrived yet, but I will probably call AMCAS and see what they say anyway.

All my letters are marked as RECEIVED on AMCAS so I am not sure what the problem is. Guess I will try calling tomorrow.

I have a question about their academic requirements:

Long story short, I took a Gen Chem class that squeezed two semesters into one and then when I realized the trap I set myself up for, they wouldn't let me take a second semester so I took Quantitative Analysis instead. Do you know if GW will accept Quant (inorganic)? I emailed them, but if I have no idea how long it will take to hear back haha.

Thanks!

I took Analytical Chemistry as one of my general/inorganic chemistry requirements. I didn't ask this school specifically but the ones I did mention it too when I made some calls (about sometime else) seemed okay with it. Hopefully it's cool...

I took Analytical Chemistry as one of my general/inorganic chemistry requirements. I didn't ask this school specifically but the ones I did mention it too when I made some calls (about sometime else) seemed okay with it. Hopefully it's cool...

Thanks for the response! Most schools fortunately say "Gen Chem/Inorganic", but GW didn't mention it. Hopefully they don't mind.

Got my secondary as well. Goodluck everyone

All my letters are marked as RECEIVED on AMCAS so I am not sure what the problem is. Guess I will try calling tomorrow.
I got the same message. My application has been verified for weeks with all of my letters received.
It must be a glitch in GWUs system

Will be applying here as soon as I am verified :) have met multiple admissions people within the last year and they have all been really cool.

working on the secondary now, going with paragraph formatting on all the questions.

I hate being asked questions that are already in my PS

Me! I was sent a username and password and it keeps saying they are wrong when I try to log back in. Is that what's going on with you?
That keeps happening to me! I tried resetting my password, but to no avail. I may just wait until the morning, maybe the site's traffic will slow down by then? If you figure it out, let me know.

What the hell?! I was in the middle of my application when it timed out. The pop up window said it saved my responses and that I had to log back in to finish. When I logged back in it said my secondary was submitted!!! WTF I wasn't even halfway done with my final essay. Wonderful...

Got secondary, werid thing is my app isn't verified and no other schools sent in a secondary. Man that last question is going to be tough to answer because my reasons might just be something everyone else says, doesn't make me unique?

"Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor?"

Well I certainly don't have any felonies or misdemeanors. However, I do have a speeding ticket which is an "infraction." In California infractions are considered crimes so would I need to disclose this? That seems rather silly to me if I have to report a speeding ticket....

"Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor?"

Well I certainly don't have any felonies or misdemeanors. However, I do have a speeding ticket which is an "infraction." In California infractions are considered crimes so would I need to disclose this? That seems rather silly to me if I have to report a speeding ticket....

lol no

I don't think there is a single driver in America who doesn't have a traffic ticket

lol no

I don't think there is a single driver in America who doesn't have a traffic ticket

136725105917.png

I submitted my application and its saying that I am not verified. I was verified a few days ago. Is this a mistake on AAMC or the medical school?

What the hell?! I was in the middle of my application when it timed out. The pop up window said it saved my responses and that I had to log back in to finish. When I logged back in it said my secondary was submitted!!! WTF I wasn't even halfway done with my final essay. Wonderful...

Exact same thing happened to me! I sent them an email...really hoping they'll let us finish it!

Exact same thing happened to me! I sent them an email...really hoping they'll let us finish it!

What I ended up doing was typing the remaining half in that blank box that now appears for you to add "updates"

In that message box I explained what happened and asked them to add the following paragraph to my final essay. I think that should be ok. Let me know what they tell you.