2013- 2014 Georgetown GEMS !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not but I noticed Interfolio did not actually send out my rec's. That's definitely something everyone should double check.

wouldnt you be able to see on ur gems application when letters were received?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Vachata,

Most of the gems students (looking at previous threads) financed through a combination of personal savings, federal loans (filling out the fafsa) and private loans (mainly for living expenses). Most of the people are a bit older with established credit, but if you don't have credit see if you can become an authorized user on a parent's credit card. That way you'll build credit quickly as long as they make their payments on time. I'm sure you can get a loan through a co-signer though.

Find a cosigner. You don't have to pay it back until you graduate which won't be until 2018. I find Sallie Mae has the lowest rates. I was approved with co-signer instantly. They also tell you if you get declined right away.

Thanks for the input. The whole "cosigner" thing seems really daunting. I don't have that kind of relationship with any family members and cosigning a massive loan seems a little steep to request on behalf of friends/colleagues.

Another question: on the "disadvantaged" essay it allows you to upload a document. Does this mean the character limit is strict or is the upload availability provided for a longer version?

I would apply for credit cards now to establish credit. If you do have cards, don't have more than three open and make sure their major credit cards and not dept. store cards. Also, don't have more than 40% of your credit limit charged up on any one card. That should push your score high enough to get approved. Also, pay your bills on time and dispute any old late fees you feel have been mistakenly applied. That's what I would do for myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. The whole "cosigner" thing seems really daunting. I don't have that kind of relationship with any family members and cosigning a massive loan seems a little steep to request on behalf of friends/colleagues.

Another question: on the "disadvantaged" essay it allows you to upload a document. Does this mean the character limit is strict or is the upload availability provided for a longer version?

Opening a credit card now probably won't be much help to establish a credit history. I don't know if several months before you ask for a loan worth of credit will help, but Vachata, it sounds like you've been on your own for a while. If you have bills under your name, and have been on time with payments then that should help too. Even dept store cards (if you have any) will also help towards your credit. You can first get a credit card with your bank then you can apply for fancy ones with rewards (you can find some where the activation fee is waived for the first year, and just make sure to cancel it before the year ends). And I'm sure you know to pay off the charged amount every month yadda yadda to avoid paying the interest. Or at least pay more than the minimum amount to get a 'very good' credit score ('excellent' will require you to pay off your card every month).

I have a similar question about the length of the 'disadvantaged' essay too if you upload a doc rather than copy & paste. It seems like if you upload you can go over the character limit, based on last year's thread. But before you submit your app, you should review it and your entire essay should come up without any words being cut out.... But CHECK JUST TO MAKE SURE. If you can't review your app before submission then garner on the side of safety and just use the 2000 char limit...

Re: Disadvantaged Essay

I emailed the office and asked them what would happen if I go over the character limit on the uploaded document. They told me not to worry and that it may appear truncated on the PDF. If that happens, they said they could still access the full essay online but prefer you stay within the character limit.

Last edited:
Re: Disadvantaged Essay

I emailed the office and asked them what would happen if I go over the character limit on the uploaded document. They told me not to worry and that it may appear truncated on the PDF. If that happens, they said they could still access the full essay online.

Thanks!!

What does the "combined" MCAT score mean?

They take your most recent two MCAT scores and average them?

That is my reasoning of why they made us fill out MCAT I and MCAT II on the application.

If anyone knows, please inform me.

Thanks.

I would think it shows upward trend in improvement. For example, MCAT 1, 21. MCAT 2, 23. The closer you are to 24 the better. It shows your more likely to hit or pass the target score of 24 when you take it in the Spring.

I would think it shows upward trend in improvement. For example, MCAT 1, 21. MCAT 2, 23. The closer you are to 24 the better. It shows your more likely to hit or pass the target score of 24 when you take it in the Spring.

That makes sense...I have been stuck on a 23 the previous two attempts, but my first was a 21 so if you are right then maybe it would be in my favor for the "upward trend".

Thanks.

I didn't know you had to retake the MCAT though.

Last edited:

I guess this is for in case you've taken the MCAT more than once and they want to see the 2 most recent scores. I guess GEMS avg's rather than takes the most recent score if they ask for "combined"?

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes since...I have been stuck on a 23 the previous two attempts, but my first was a 21 so if you are right then maybe it would be in my favor for the "upward trend".

Thanks.

I didn't know you had to retake the MCAT though.

I wasn't sure if we had to retake the MCAT. That would be great if we didn't.

Hi everyone, I am a current GEMS and just reading over your posts have me nostalgic! I can't believe that a year ago I was filling out my application and posting to this discussion board! I just wanted to wish you all luck, I don't get on here often but if you want to message me I will try to answer your questions. BUT let me go ahead and tell you that if it is an application based question you need to direct that to the email [email protected] I know application requirements change from year to year and I don't want to give you incorrect or misleading information. I did see some chatter about the MCAT and I will tell you that we do not have to re-take the MCAT but we did have to re-submit AMCAS, so unless that has changed for you all which I don't think is the case, if admitted you will not have to re-take the MCAT. Again I wish you all the best with your application!

Hi everyone, I am a current GEMS and just reading over your posts have me nostalgic! I can't believe that a year ago I was filling out my application and posting to this discussion board! I just wanted to wish you all luck, I don't get on here often but if you want to message me I will try to answer your questions. BUT let me go ahead and tell you that if it is an application based question you need to direct that to the email [email protected] I know application requirements change from year to year and I don't want to give you incorrect or misleading information. I did see some chatter about the MCAT and I will tell you that we do not have to re-take the MCAT but we did have to re-submit AMCAS, so unless that has changed for you all which I don't think is the case, if admitted you will not have to re-take the MCAT. Again I wish you all the best with your application!

Thanks medschoolbound1!

Although I don't think we had to resubmit our AMCAS? :confused::confused::confused: Just upload a verified copy.... Unless I got it all wrong :scared:

Thanks medschoolbound1!

Although I don't think we had to resubmit our AMCAS? :confused::confused::confused: Just upload a verified copy.... Unless I got it all wrong :scared:
calm down lol...I was referring to next year. If you are accepted you don't have to re-take the MCAT but you will have to fill out your AMCAS application again.

calm down lol...I was referring to next year. If you are accepted you don't have to re-take the MCAT but you will have to fill out your AMCAS application again.

LOL ohhh you were referring to after GEMS... :oops:

hello
do you mind sharing your stats?

I am considering applying with the upcoming cycle

To elaborate further, what are the lowest GPA's and MCAT scores you've heard of from students who've been accepted?

Here is my advice because I think the application is still up for 2 weeks...read through it and see if you would make a good fit. There is a reason that they don't list a minimum GPA and MCAT score, they really try and find people that are a good fit for the programs goals and mission. With that said I believe they post an average MCAT and GPA in the FAQ section of the gems website.

Here is my advice because I think the application is still up for 2 weeks...read through it and see if you would make a good fit. There is a reason that they don't list a minimum GPA and MCAT score, they really try and find people that are a good fit for the programs goals and mission. With that said I believe they post an average MCAT and GPA in the FAQ section of the gems website.

:thumbup:

Thanks so much for your response on this! I still have to work on my essay as I have so much going on right now but you've really put things in perspective. :)

Thanks for the input medschoolbound1! It was really helpful. About how long did it take for your application to be completed/verifiedby GEMS? Are app usually verified after the deadline? Thanks!

Hey there previous GEMS student and anyone else applying who is familiar with the program :D:

1. What is a typical GEMS day like? I am aware that the day starts at 8am and usually ends no earlier than 5pm, but what classes do you take during the day and what other activities, etc. are held throughout the day?

2. How often are your exams? Weekly? Bi-weekly?

Thanks so much!:oops:

Hey, how long did it take for your application to be marked complete? Immediately?

Hey, how long did it take for your application to be marked complete? Immediately?

Well I sent in my LOR's via Interfolio 2 weeks ago. I submitted my online app yesterday and within 2 hours I got an "application complete" email.

Hey there previous GEMS student and anyone else applying who is familiar with the program :D:

1. What is a typical GEMS day like? I am aware that the day starts at 8am and usually ends no earlier than 5pm, but what classes do you take during the day and what other activities, etc. are held throughout the day?

2. How often are your exams? Weekly? Bi-weekly?

Thanks so much!:oops:

Hey there Pump. It's been awhile since I went through the program but I don't think it's changed too much in terms of format. Try looking through the previous years' threads to see what they say.

However, generally you do come in around 8-9 and don't leave till between 4-5. The first month is called "bootcamp" where they get you all up to speed on biochem and cardio stuff via FS (facilitated sessions, something you'll get to experience if you are invited for an interview). You'll have multiple of these FS sessions throughout the day as well as independent study, group study periods and class sessions with some profs in cardio/biochem. Once modules start you'll have class in the morning and FS sessions in the afternoon.

Tests and quizzes can be pretty random so it keeps you guessing. Regardless you'll still need to be on top of your material since you'll often be called to present at the blackboard on topics assigned previously. And trust me ... you don't want to look stupid standing at the front with nothing to say. :)

I can honestly say that the GEMS year was the hardest I worked within a year ever. And that's saying something after going through second and third year of medical school. But it does prepare you very well for the wards in terms of commitment and intensity. Good luck to those applying.

Yes I would second all of this! Basically just know that your day will be from 8-5, GEMS will be your job!

Thanks so much Nichomachean! It was very helpful.

Application Complete!! :) Good luck guys!

seems like last year people got interviews as early as april 7th. that is quickly approaching.

What are other programs similar in structure and length to GEMS?

Can anyone help me with this information?

I appreciate all the responses regarding the financial aid / loans and the disadvantaged essays. It's helped so much!

In other news, I've been reading through the previous two years posts (what a great way to keep my mind off it, huh?). It seems the prior GEM classes have been really close and helpful to each other throughout their medical school career. Two years ago I completed a research fellowship with ~30 students in our program. Our group still keeps in contact, video conference calls, coordinate mini reunions all the time and the medical school still gives us guidance as well. It is so great to have a group so connected -- for the last two years every place I visited I have had a research fellow there (including Georgetown Med!). Needless to say, I am excited to see if I am accepted at GEMS there is a great chance the rapport is the same. :)

As in previous years, I think it would be a great idea to post a list to see who is all applying from this forum and include our state -- at least it'll somewhat keep us occupied ? PM or reply to this post. I'm sure I'll keep up with the list.

Hello Everyone! :) I applied for this application cycle. I'm from IL. Just saying Hello.

Any updates from anyone regarding interviews?

As in previous years, I think it would be a great idea to post a list to see who is all applying from this forum and include our state -- at least it'll somewhat keep us occupied ? PM or reply to this post. I'm sure I'll keep up with the list.

Add yourself, if you'd like. :) Don't be shy.

LovelLex2 - IL.
Vachata - IL
PsychMeds - NYC

LovelLex2 - IL.
Vachata - IL
PsychMeds - NYC
kimposibl - CA

I'm applying as well
Docqb - NJ

:hello: Add yourself, if you'd like. :) Don't be shy.

1. LovelLex2 - IL.
  2. Vachata - IL
  3. PsychMeds - NYC
  4. Kimposibl - CA
  5. Stayhumble1 - DC
  6. Docqb - NJ
  7. Nerdswagger - OH
  8. NN88

::cues elevator music::

sooo...has anyone used the SDN Specialty Selector?