2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called Hofstra today since my letters were into AMCAS 6 days ago and they still weren't showing up as received.

The person answering their phone said that the amcas and secondary websites don't always communicate right away. He said I shouldn't worry about it

Ah, okay. I guess I won't call them, then. Hopefully the letters will be recognized soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Just emailed them today about my LOR and got this response:

Hello ____,

I apologize for the confusion. I have notified our web developers who are looking into why your letters didn't move over from AMCAS as they should have. When they become available in our system, you will be able to see them in the Portal. If you have already submitted your supplemental application, you will receive an email when your application is complete. We have not begun reviewing applications, so you are not at a disadvantage.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

So it looks like they are experiencing glitches with transmission of letters from AMCAS; hopefully my letters will be marked as received soon.

Last edited:
My letters were just marked as received today! Finally complete. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they handed out interview invites yet or when they will?

does anyone know if they handed out interview invites yet or when they will?
Earliest "interview invite!!!11!!1" SDN posts last year were on 15 August 2012.

3.68, 3.51, 29S, good EC
reapp

OOS (NJ resident)

any shot ?

3.68, 3.51, 29S, good EC
reapp

OOS (NJ resident)

any shot ?

OOS is irrelevant for private schools....

....I hope you have a shot, because if you don't then I definitely don't lol.

OOS is irrelevant for private schools....

....I hope you have a shot, because if you don't then I definitely don't lol.

I'd check the stats on msar. I could be wrong but I think this school gives New York residents preference, to a more limited extent than does SUNY, at least. There are actually several private schools that give in-state preference.

I'd check the stats on msar. I could be wrong but I think this school gives New York residents preference, to a more limited extent than does SUNY, at least. There are actually several private schools that give in-state preference.
It's a pretty even split for Hofstra based on residency: 53.3% of matriculants are IS, 46.7% are OOS. I can't find anything about an IS preference on their website, but if it's there, it's pretty lenient.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2012factstable1.pdf

Can anyone tell me what number they called to find out about the letter issue?

It's a pretty even split for Hofstra based on residency: 53.3% of matriculants are IS, 46.7% are OOS. I can't find anything about an IS preference on their website, but if it's there, it's pretty lenient.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2012factstable1.pdf

The class may be evenly split between IS/OOS, but when you consider the fact that there were twice as many OOS applicants, and yet the class still has slightly more IS students, it would appear that there is an IS preference.

The class may be evenly split between IS/OOS, but when you consider the fact that there were twice as many OOS applicants, and yet the class still has slightly more IS students, it would appear that there is an IS preference.

This. Thats what I mean by IS preference

Members don't see this ad :)
Hofstra MS3 here. Keep in mind when you look at schools that half-OOS does not mean they weight IS and OOS the same; otherwise, the number of IS students should be closer to the percentage of the US population that that state represents (far less than 50%).

THAT BEING SAID, there are 2 important exceptions for our school:

1. We have a very small sample size, 140 students total between MS1/2/3, and I don't even know if the MSAR data includes the MS1s, who literally just started on Monday.
2. These stats are influenced by the fact that HNSLIJ is a new medical school, and few people who didn't pay close attention to the presidential debates have heard of Hofstra. NSLIJ is a giant in the healthcare world but not a nationally-known institution outside of that realm, although it is quickly moving there. I am impressed to see that 2/3 of the applicants were OOS, but once again the population of New York is <33% of the US population.

My own 2 cents... our school cares most about whether or not you are a "good fit" and the interview is a big deal to them. Applicants who say things like "I have a strong desire to attend HNSLIJ because I want to have a positive impact on patients in my own backyard" probably get an additional "in-state" bonus; they really like that. But that is not so much in-state as it is in-NYC/Nassau/Suffolk... most of our MS3 New Yorkers are from long island, the city, or Westchester... I can't even name one off the top of my head who is from anywhere north of Westchester (in NY). BTW, I am included in the native long-islanders.

Hofstra MS3 here. Keep in mind when you look at schools that half-OOS does not mean they weight IS and OOS the same; otherwise, the number of IS students should be closer to the percentage of the US population that that state represents (far less than 50%).

1. We have a very small sample size, 140 students total between MS1/2/3, and I don't even know if the MSAR data includes the MS1s, who literally just started on Monday.
2. These stats are influenced by the fact that HNSLIJ is a new medical school, and few people who didn't pay close attention to the presidential debates have heard of Hofstra. NSLIJ is a giant in the healthcare world but not a nationally-known institution outside of that realm, although it is quickly moving there. I am impressed to see that 2/3 of the applicants were OOS, but once again the population of New York is <33% of the US population.

My own 2 cents... our school cares most about whether or not you are a "good fit" and the interview is a big deal to them. Applicants who say things like "I have a strong desire to attend HNSLIJ because I want to have a positive impact on patients in my own backyard" probably get an additional "in-state" bonus; they really like that. But that is not so much in-state as it is in-NYC/Nassau/Suffolk... most of our MS3 New Yorkers are from long island, the city, or Westchester... I can't even name one off the top of my head who is from anywhere north of Westchester (in NY). BTW, I am included in the native long-islanders.

Holllllerrrrrr 5-one-SIX repp!!!!!!!

Plz tell me this was your answer to the "anything else?" question on Hofstra's secondary.

I just wrote:

"It's spelled Long Island, but its pronounced STRONG island"

Recognize, yo.

Reactions: 1 user

Can you talk a little bit about how your class did on the boards? Also, how is living in the area?

Can you talk a little bit about how your class did on the boards? Also, how is living in the area?

I don't know if I'm supposed to say; I'm sure the school will release the data at some point so stay tuned. But I will tell you that we beat the average of US medical schools, and we had 0% of our class in the "borderline-passing zone" (however that is defined). I don't know if anyone failed, but everyone who I've talked to about it passed, and hey, there's only 34 of us rotating right now right? So I'd say all in all we did pretty well :D

As for living in the area, I have to say that I kind of waffle on that subject. I did my undergrad in Nashville TN and was firmly convinced that long island sucked. Recently as I've started spending a little more time on the north shore, I've decided I would like living in Manhasset/Port Washington/Sands Point/Huntington/etc. some day if I make enough $$$. Queens is also pretty cool, my fiancee and I were considering moving to Douglaston or Glen Oaks, which are pretty nice. As for central Nassau (where I live, and where Hofstra is), it has very few redeeming qualities. This is why many if not most of my classmates have migrated slowly toward the city (Queens/Brooklyn) at this point.

EDIT: Forgot to mention 2 important things. #1, I'm a 516-er; I live about 10 minutes from the school. #2, any medical student with a valid opinion will more or less agree that boards studying is a very personal thing and the curriculum of your school has very little to do with it. But inevitably people will still look to our Step 1 scores for some guidance.

I just want to be clear on one thing that Hofstra says on their website. They mention that those med school pre-reqs aren't required but recommended (I have them done anyways + extra upper level sciences) and then it says their minimum GPA is 3.0. So does that mean they don't calculate science GPA? or it's of little importance...I'd love for someone to elaborate on that or correct me!

Interview invite by email 10 minutes ago!! :hardy:

Looks like dates begin in October

Interview invite by email 10 minutes ago!! :hardy:

Looks like dates begin in October

Congrats Entadus! It's great to see fellow Californians getting early interviews! :)

For those with II, when were you guys complete?

Secondary sent 7/5, LOR received and complete 7/17. But no e-mail saying it's complete or II...

II! Complete 7/24. Interview dates start Oct 2nd.

For people who have gotten interviews...would you mind posting stats?

Seems like the people who got interviews today all have at least 3.8 gpa and 34 mcat.

II today :D

just to share some stats:

3.5 gpa 33 mcat IS reapp

For those who got II, did you ever receive an e-mail that says "your file is complete"?

My status online says it is complete but I never got a verification e-mail so just wondering.