2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys, i submitted on 6/28, but have not been verified yet... is it fine if i havent received a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i submitted on 6/28, but have not been verified yet... is it fine if i havent received a secondary yet?

You will receive the secondary ~2 days after verification.

I know that the inaugural class has recently taken USMLE Step 1 at Hofstra. Can any current students comment on the results of the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the deadline to sign up for an interview date?

Does anyone know the deadline to sign up for an interview date?

I called and asked. There is no deadline, but if all the spots fill up before you pick one, you will lose your chance to interview.

Interview Invite this morning!

Did anyone receive an email indicating their application is complete?

II invite this morning! Not sure when I'm going to schedule yet, kind of dreading the cross-country airfare. OOS CA applicant, submitted on 7/2.

II invite this morning! Not sure when I'm going to schedule yet, kind of dreading the cross-country airfare. OOS CA applicant, submitted on 7/2.

Congrats! Those with II, would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to be clear on one thing that Hofstra says on their website. They mention that those med school pre-reqs aren't required but recommended (I have them done anyways + extra upper level sciences) and then it says their minimum GPA is 3.0. So does that mean they don't calculate science GPA? or it's of little importance...I'd love for someone to elaborate on that or correct me!

What you're talking about are their minimum requirements. They use those to pre-screen applications and typically don't offer secondary applications to students who do not meet those requirements.

Supposedly once you meet those minimum requirements, grades matter little to them. This is what the school has told us (after matriculation). I'm not sure I 100% buy it, but once you are offered a secondary, you will receive ample consideration. If you are the child of a drug-addicted single parent who taught chemistry in South Africa for 2 years out of college while spending weekends working for a UN medical mission, came back to the US and worked for a financial institution for 5 years, then did a post-bac at Bryn Mawr, and write your essay about how a 10-year-old African boy with kwashiorkor gave you his only piece of bread and it inspired you to pursue community health in disadvantaged neighborhoods in Nassau County, it won't matter if your GPA is 3.00000000.

tl;dr once they decide to issue you a secondary, your grades are considered fairly equally with everything else in your application.

For comparison, my stats were 3.48 cGPA, somewhat lower sGPA (3.3? 3.25?), 38R MCAT, with 2 years of neuro research that never even approached publication, and 2 years of shadowing/volunteering in a clinic where they actually let me speak to patients by myself. I wrote my essay about parallels between music and medicine (I'm a former all-state singer; casualty of medical school), and HEAVILY emphasized my patient contact and the importance of longitudinal relationships with patients in my interview. I am convinced that they accepted me because of my interview, and the MCAT was a nice little bonus to bump their stats.

As for the question of Step 1 scores, see my previous post.

Congrats! Those with II, would you mind sharing your stats?
3.54/3.54/37 (11 12 14)

But from what I hear GPA matters less to Hofstra than to most schools, so the more important number here is the 37

3.54/3.54/37 (11 12 14)

But from what I hear GPA matters less to Hofstra than to most schools, so the more important number here is the 37

Hah! I hope you're right! >3.2 uGPA, 3.54 gGPA, 37 (14/11/12) hoping for some love!

Just got an II here as well. Traveling is really starting to become an issue, but I suppose it's a good problem to have.

Well then apparently this school isn't for me! :(

I too keep hearing that GPA matters less at this school but so far JUST based on the people who have been posting (therefore I could be completely talking out my arse if there are people who haven't posted with stats contrary to what I'm about to say) most (not all, I know, but most) seem to have MCAT scores higher than 33-34...when all is said and done at the end of the cycle I do believe it all evens out but for right now like many schools they are probably "cherry picking" for higher MCAT scores early on. Doesn't mean you won't have your chance without a higher MCAT score, but it might be a bit before an II. Don't despair! It's still early- very early!

(And I myself have no IIs yet so I'm not giving you false comfort here while I'm sitting on 20 invites :) )

I too keep hearing that GPA matters less at this school but so far JUST based on the people who have been posting (therefore I could be completely talking out my arse if there are people who haven't posted with stats contrary to what I'm about to say) most (not all, I know, but most) seem to have MCAT scores higher than 33-34...when all is said and done at the end of the cycle I do believe it all evens out but for right now like many schools they are probably "cherry picking" for higher MCAT scores early on. Doesn't mean you won't have your chance without a higher MCAT score, but it might be a bit before an II. Don't despair! It's still early- very early!

(And I myself have no IIs yet so I'm not giving you false comfort here while I'm sitting on 20 invites :) )

This makes me feel better, thanks! I just have an avg MCAT and way above avg GPA so it kinda upsets me that schools don't see that I worked so hard for 3 years :/ but hopefully one will! And that'll me my favorite school :love: hahahha

Why me no get II :(

IS/3.91 cGPA/ 4.0 sGPA/ 36(14/11/11)/ complete 7/23

is the status "in the review process" different than the one that shows you're marked complete? does this mean I should be expecting a decision soon?

is the status "in the review process" different than the one that shows you're marked complete? does this mean I should be expecting a decision soon?

I've had the in the review process status for a long time and still no decision

What are your EC's like?

They're ok. I've done hospital volunteering, tutoring, EMT, research.... Basically all the usual stuff, nothing that would wow anybody. I'm just hoping my numbers will compensate for my mediocre EC's

II !!!!! First one of the season and I'm definitely feeling the new York love :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

Last edited:
Do they require specific reference letters? Like science prof who taught you, etc? I haven't received my secondary yet and I can't find anything on their website.

Thanks in advance!

Applying to medical schools is like courting the most popular guy in school and hoping they will notice you one day. The one named Hofstra seems to want to go out with everyone around me but me :) And he is so cute that I can't even get mad at him. I'll just stand in like and wait for my turn hoping that the process will not mess with my self esteem (though apparently it may be too late based on this post) :)

Just got an II here!! OOS from jersey.. submitted everything Jul 23. I scheduled mine for Nov 8. Really excited!

Applying to medical schools is like courting the most popular guy in school and hoping they will notice you one day. The one named Hofstra seems to want to go out with everyone around me but me :) And he is so cute that I can't even get mad at him. I'll just stand in like and wait for my turn hoping that the process will not mess with my self esteem (though apparently it may be too late based on this post) :)

This is exactly how I feel....lol...

Congrats to those with II! I'm starting to lose hope, since I was complete on 7/3 and no action on my app since then :/

For those who got II, did you ever receive an e-mail that says "your file is complete"?

My status online says it is complete but I never got a verification e-mail so just wondering.

I think my question got lost at the end of the last page :D
So here it is again:

For those who got II, did you ever receive an e-mail that says "your file is complete"?

My status online says it is complete but I never got a verification e-mail so just wondering.

I think my question got lost at the end of the last page :D
So here it is again:

Never got a complete email. But status says it was complete before getting an II through email.

Added this bad boy today. Not really sure why I overlooked it in my initial school list. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to add one more. Congrats to all those with recent IIs!

Added this bad boy today. Not really sure why I overlooked it in my initial school list. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to add one more. Congrats to all those with recent IIs!

same!

Just submitted my secondary today. Would love to go to this school!

GL everyone!

II today! OOS 3.5, 32O... Kinda intimidated, appear to be on the low end stat-wise in comparison to you all. Best of luck!