2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
II today at night, I pity the person who has to send these emails out on Saturday nights, LizzyM - 74

By the way how's everyone getting there for those of you OOS? I was thinking about somehow getting in contact with students there and seeing if I can stay the night at their apartment/

Wow saturday II's! Crazy..

I got my II yesterday.. local as local gets!

thanks! my LizzyM is ~75, high mcat/low gpa

II today at night, I pity the person who has to send these emails out on Saturday nights, LizzyM - 74

By the way how's everyone getting there for those of you OOS? I was thinking about somehow getting in contact with students there and seeing if I can stay the night at their apartment/

Wow saturday II's! Crazy..

I got my II yesterday.. local as local gets!

Congrats! When were y'all complete?

Flight booked - anyone else staying a few extra days to experience NYC??

Haven't booked my flight yet -- interview is in 2 months -- I will probably try for an extended trip to include some sightseeing etc

Haven't booked my flight yet -- interview is in 2 months -- I will probably try for an extended trip to include some sightseeing etc

So I was reading today that on avg, the best deals on flights occur seven weeks before the departure date. Your almost there! In planning my Creighton interview, which is a month away, I waited one measly day and the ticket went up $75!

Members don't see this ad :)
II today as well! Is mid-November really the earliest that we can sign up?

Nothing from this school yet :( I feel like I wrote an insubstantial secondary. Ugh

II! I received it a few weeks ago. My interview is Oct 30th.

II this morning

34 mcat/3.75 gpa CA resident

Last minute addition for me. Submitted secondary today...hoping for some love!

has anyone had any luck with in the area Emails here?

II received! Crazy that there's only one day open in mid November and the next earliest is in December.

MCAT 34/GPA 3.68

Has anyone found that payment for the Hofstra secondary app has not gone through on your credit card?

is anyone else having trouble logging into the secondary site?

anyone know if there are interviews in september?

Hey everyone,

I have an interview at Hofstra October 28th. I'll be heading northwards from Virginia.
1) Are there any Hofstra students out there with a couch to spare?
2) Anybody want to carpool going north?

II today!! Complete 7/30. IS.
Wow, the first open interview date is 12/9!

For those of you interviewing here, how do you plan on getting to Hofstra and staying there 1 night? It seems like you need to make multiple train/subway switches and also their suggested hotel, the marriot, is $200/night..

It's really easy if you fly into JFK you just take AirTran to Jamaica. Then get on the train at Jamaica station then go to Hempstead. Take a cab from there (it's about a mile away.
Staying at the Marriott is the most convenient and they do offer an interview rate (I think 150 total). But it's not the only option. Check red roof inn and others in Uniondale, garden city, east meadow etc....
Good Luck

Current students: I'm having trouble figuring out what makes the curriculum so innovative! What is different about Hofstra?? Why did you choose it??

Little late, but for what it's worth: interview invite on 08/13 scheduled for 10/09. Submitted late July. LizzyM~73. Out of state.

Last edited:
Little late, but for what it's worth: interview invite on 08/13 scheduled for 10/09. Submitted on 07/25. 3.8/34 out of state (California).

How were you able to get an October interview date? By 8/13, I was pretty certain that the earliest interview dates available were in mid November.

How were you able to get an October interview date? By 8/13, I was pretty certain that the earliest interview dates available were in mid November.

Perhaps I got lucky...I received the interview invite by email at 11:30am PST and scheduled the interview minutes after. Other than scheduling the interview shortly after receiving the invitation, I really don't know how I had that available date.

Current students: I'm having trouble figuring out what makes the curriculum so innovative! What is different about Hofstra?? Why did you choose it??

It's innovative because there is more clinical application and thought put into our first two years. Look at PEARLS on the schools website for more information but basically we do a lot of CBL and PBL coupled with a few lectures and other small group sessions. Basically your constantly taking the sciences and giving them context in the clinical realm instead of having to connect them in the third year. And apparently this approach really works because the first class did incredibly well on their boards. Also we have very early clinical exposure and our classes feel very personal which is nice but also makes you more accountable so it's just a good program overall. If you have more questions PM me.

I have been complete since 7/3.....what...

Interview today, complete a couple weeks ago.

Interview isn't until december, wow!

Does anybody have a September/October interview?

Interview today, complete a couple weeks ago.

Interview isn't until december, wow!

Does anybody have a September/October interview?

I'm pretty sure they offer you an interview for the dates they want to interview you. In other words, it is still possible to get an interview for October dates.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - if they're super into you, you get earlier dates.

I'm pretty sure they offer you an interview for the dates they want to interview you. In other words, it is still possible to get an interview for October dates.