2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning. Was complete early this week. First available interview isn't until late December. Fortunately I was planning on being in NYC anyway later that week, but dang, that's almost 4 months from now. Hopefully something earlier opens up.

How long of a ride on Airtrain/LIRR is it from JFK to the SOM area? Possible to arrive on an early arrival flight (like a redeye from the west coast) and go straight to the interview?

In any case, first II of the season so hopefully a sign of things to come :)

LizzyM >76, CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
II today! Was not expecting this at all, especially since I'm on the lower end of MCAT scores (29, then a 31) for SDN people getting IIs so far from Hofstra...(Oh and I'm OOS.)

The craziest part: the earliest date I can choose is 1/6/14!!! :eek: Might wait a bit to see if other dates open up; January is a long time away and I'll have gone on a number of fall interviews at that point...

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Was not expecting this at all, especially since I'm on the lower end of MCAT scores (29, then a 31) for SDN people getting IIs so far from Hofstra...(Oh and I'm OOS.)

The craziest part: the earliest date I can choose is 1/6/14!!! :eek: Might wait a bit to see if other dates open up; January is a long time away and I'll have gone on a number of fall interviews at that point...
I just signed up for January 6th, and it said you can change your date up to one week before your scheduled date by clicking on another day, if earlier spots become available. So you might want to grab this date before it's gone too :)

I just signed up for January 6th, and it said you can change your date up to one week before your scheduled date by clicking on another day, if earlier spots become available. So you might want to grab this date before it's gone too :)

Oh really? I was considering waiting a bit because in the invite email they encourage us *not* to reschedule unless there's extenuating circumstances... :(

Oh really? I was considering waiting a bit because in the invite email they encourage us *not* to reschedule unless there's extenuating circumstances... :(
Weird, I just looked at my email and didn't see it say anything about that. Here is what the website says after you sign up for a day:
"You may change your interview date up to one week before your interview by selecting a new date on the online calendar. If you wish to cancel your interview within one week of your scheduled date, or if you want to ask about an opening within the next week, please call the Office of Admissions."

Oops, just saw it in the Interview Confirmation email. Forget everything that I've said haha.

Oops, just saw it in the Interview Confirmation email. Forget everything that I've said haha.

They must have added that recently because I don't have that in my Interview Confirmation e-mail received about 3 weeks ago.

Another interesting piece of info from the email

"Also, please note that interviewing later in the season does not place you at a disadvantage in the admissions process."

So everyone with interviews in Dec/Jan, I guess don't worry too much. :)

EDIT: Never mind the picture request on the welcome tab of the status page; I forgot we already had to upload a picture for the secondary--the request on the home page must be a leftover request from a previous cycle when a picture couldn't be uploaded with the secondary...

Another interesting piece of info from the email

"Also, please note that interviewing later in the season does not place you at a disadvantage in the admissions process."

So everyone with interviews in Dec/Jan, I guess don't worry too much. :)

Yeah, I saw that...that's certainly interesting--is Hofstra non-rolling with decisions, then?

Last edited:
Weird, I just looked at my email and didn't see it say anything about that. Here is what the website says after you sign up for a day:
"You may change your interview date up to one week before your interview by selecting a new date on the online calendar. If you wish to cancel your interview within one week of your scheduled date, or if you want to ask about an opening within the next week, please call the Office of Admissions."

Yeah it's weird because there's nothing on the status page that says you shouldn't reschedule unless absolutely necessary, just this note in my II:

If you would like to reschedule your interview, you will need to release your current date to look for new dates online. We encourage you not to reschedule your interview unless there are extenuating circumstances, and if you decide you do not wish to interview with us, we ask that you please notify us as soon as possible so that we may offer your interview spot to an interested applicant.

They must have added that recently because I don't have that in my Interview Confirmation e-mail received about 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps interviewees were rescheduling willy-nilly? I don't see the problem, tbh, as long as a person does it far enough in advance...I suppose in terms of interview materials and labeled things it causes a problem for the school.

It hampers me, though, because I don't want to lose an interview spot entirely--but at the same time I don't want to schedule an interview for January and then not be able to cancel it for one that opens up in November...

Yeah, I saw that...that's certainly interesting--is Hofstra non-rolling with decisions, then?

From their FAQ

Does the School of Medicine have rolling admissions?

The School of Medicine uses a rolling admissions process, with the first offers of admission to be extended no sooner than mid-December.

Anyone interviewing on the 9th of October interested in splitting the cost of a room for the 8th?

Members don't see this ad :)
From their FAQ

Does the School of Medicine have rolling admissions?

The School of Medicine uses a rolling admissions process, with the first offers of admission to be extended no sooner than mid-December.

The fact that they release decisions so late and that "it doesn't matter when you interview" seems contradictory to the idea of rolling admissions...but they can call the process what they like I suppose, haha.

The fact that they release decisions so late and that "it doesn't matter when you interview" seems contradictory to the idea of rolling admissions...but they can call the process what they like I suppose, haha.

So they don't release that late anymore or at least they didn't last year. They released early November for the first acceptances last year

So they don't release that late anymore or at least they didn't last year. They released early November for the first acceptances last year

Ah, that sounds much more normal! Thanks for the info. :)

Ahhhhh I just got my II! I submitted all of my secondaries over the last two weeks, so this is my first =) =)

Somebody must've just cancelled--I snagged their 12/11 interview date. :D A month sooner than the other currently open dates...

Somebody must've just cancelled--I snagged their 12/11 interview date. :D A month sooner than the other currently open dates...

Be careful clicking "Reset Interview" on the page, I accidentally clicked that and it canceled my interview. Fortunately I was able to get it back within 20 seconds for the same date. There wasn't even a confirmation page asking "do you really want to cancel."

Does anyone else have "Gluten-Free meal selected" even though they didn't select it? :confused:

Be careful clicking "Reset Interview" on the page, I accidentally clicked that and it canceled my interview. Fortunately I was able to get it back within 20 seconds for the same date. There wasn't even a confirmation page asking "do you really want to cancel."

Does anyone else have "Gluten-Free meal selected" even though they didn't select it? :confused:

I have the same issue. I tried scheduling twice, but the interview confirmation does not include the gluten-free meal.

Anyone have an interview scheduled for November 8th, but looking for an earlier interview in late to mid-October? Flight fees are adding up... PM me please.

Hey guys, are there any days interviews are not available on? I'm trying to choose a date for another school wisely in case hofstra shows some love! thanks

Hey guys, are there any days interviews are not available on? I'm trying to choose a date for another school wisely in case hofstra shows some love! thanks

I believe the interview days to choose from were on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Does anyone know what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

Uh the earliest interview date I saw was in January. Is that normal at this time?

II yesterday! I was complete some day in the last week of August.

Earliest interview date I saw was on January 6. Maybe some earlier date will open up, but still looking forward to it.

Last edited:
How long did it take to receive your secondary after being verified?

Last edited:
How long did it take to receive your secondary after being verified?

I was verified on 8/20 and received an e-mail that same day saying that they would review my application to determine if I will receive a secondary or not. If you have at least a 25 MCAT and 3.0 gpa (according to the e-mail), you should get one. I received the secondary hours later on 8/20.

Hope this helps!

I was verified on 8/20 and received an e-mail that same day saying that they would review my application to determine if I will receive a secondary or not. If you have at least a 25 MCAT and 3.0 gpa (according to the e-mail), you should get one. I received the secondary hours later on 8/20.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.
I was verified over a week ago and havent received anything :scared:

Just sent an "in the area" email (cause Im going to an interview in NY) for around the first week of november and it didnt work, a little ambitious but worth a shot.

Anyone willing to split a room for the night of Oct 8 (interviewing Oct 9)?

So expensive /)_(\

II this morning. Complete 8/29
First available date is January 17

Congrats to both of you. when were you complete gmr0589?

Is there a student host program for Hofstra? Is everybody staying at a hotel

Now the earliest date is February 5. Kinda late don't you think.

how many students is Hofstra going to enroll this cycle? According to MSAR it's 100, but I just want to make sure. Also, anybody going to the open house this week?

Last edited:
Interviewed yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The curriculum, faculty, the facilities, and the location are perfect. To those who will interview later in the cycle, get ready for a very enjoyable and impressive showcase.

@anomedic. They will enroll 100.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Interviewed yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The curriculum, faculty, the facilities, and the location are perfect. To those who will interview later in the cycle, get ready for a very enjoyable and impressive showcase.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm so stoked for my interview in a couple of weeks! Did you stay at a hotel near by or did you commute in?

Thanks! So excited to interview here. Any idea what percentage of interviewees are accepted?