2013-2014 Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! So excited to interview here. Any idea what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

When I interviewed last year I remember them saying over half.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Invite!! Complete 9/27

So excited, took the earliest spot 10/30.
Gotten IIs from two of my top options (state school and here) so far!

Anyone want to share a hotel room the night before?

Last edited:

howd you get such an early date?

earliest available for me was january!

I'm having trouble answering the "what have you been up to" essay. I graduated in January and have mostly been looking for a job in a bleak job market. What can I focus on?? HELP ME :eek:

complete early august and have heard nothing -_- do they do silent rejections?

I'm also the same interview day! But I only live 10 minutes away.

Anyone know if Hofstra is still providing incentives to get people to matriculate here? Or was that only for when their class size was smaller?

I'm having trouble answering the "what have you been up to" essay. I graduated in January and have mostly been looking for a job in a bleak job market. What can I focus on?? HELP ME :eek:

Your own person growth during this time while looking for a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone looking to share a hotel?

10/30 here

I'll see you there!

Withdrew my December interview earlier today. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Did they mention what percentage of interviewees get accepted this year?

Hey Hofstra-ers -- I just submitted my primary to Hosftra a few days ago. It sounds like a GREAT new school!

One question... I haven't received a secondary yet. Because of how late it sounds like you guys are currently scheduling interviews, does anyone think I still have a chance at all? I have a (really) low GPA (but higher than the 3.0 cutoff), high MCAT, and some good experiences/publications. From what I could tell, Hofstra seems to weigh MCAT pretty highly -- so I'm really hopeful (just kicking myself for not having applied early).

Thanks -- and good luck to you all! :)

Hey Hofstra-ers -- I just submitted my primary to Hosftra a few days ago. It sounds like a GREAT new school!

One question... I haven't received a secondary yet. Because of how late it sounds like you guys are currently scheduling interviews, does anyone think I still have a chance at all? I have a (really) low GPA (but higher than the 3.0 cutoff), high MCAT, and some good experiences/publications. From what I could tell, Hofstra seems to weigh MCAT pretty highly -- so I'm really hopeful (just kicking myself for not having applied early).

Thanks -- and good luck to you all! :)

Good luck man. Pretty late to be submitting your primary app (especially with a lower GPA, I'm in the same boat so I submitted Day 1) but I hope it still works out for you. Hofstra should be starting to roll out decisions in November.

I heard a rumor that North-Shore LIJ employees get free tuition for Hofstra programs. Anyone hear if this extends to the med school as well?

My undergrad GPA is 3.2. Did not finish my bachelor's degree, had 101 credits when I stopped since I got into pharmacy school.

Graduated pharmacy school in 2012, GPA... I busted my ass in the first semester and started off strong. Then my friends told me that it's damn near impossible to fail out (you have to go below a 2.0 in two consecutive semesters) so I fell in with the C = degree crowd.

MCAT was a 24, five years ago so I have to retake that anyway.

Do I need to go back to complete my bachelor's or can I waive the lack of a Bachelor's since I already have a PharmD?

I heard a rumor that North-Shore LIJ employees get free tuition for Hofstra programs. Anyone hear if this extends to the med school as well?

My undergrad GPA is 3.2. Did not finish my bachelor's degree, had 101 credits when I stopped since I got into pharmacy school.

Graduated pharmacy school in 2012, GPA... I busted my ass in the first semester and started off strong. Then my friends told me that it's damn near impossible to fail out (you have to go below a 2.0 in two consecutive semesters) so I fell in with the C = degree crowd.

MCAT was a 24, five years ago so I have to retake that anyway.

Do I need to go back to complete my bachelor's or can I waive the lack of a Bachelor's since I already have a PharmD?

Pretty sure you need a Bachelor's from an accredited school, or at least some equivalent number of credits. Post this in the main Pre-Med forum or in the What Are My Chances forum if you're looking for some general guidance.

Hi all, anyone interested in timeline for a somewhat late applier:

AMCAS primary submitted 7/29
Secondary received 9/23 --> submitted 10/02 --> interview invite 10/23

Soonest date for interview was second week of January.

This was one of my top schools so I'm ecstatic, though January seems so far away. o_O

Hi all, anyone interested in timeline for a somewhat late applier:

AMCAS primary submitted 7/29
Secondary received 9/23 --> submitted 10/02 --> interview invite 10/23

Soonest date for interview was second week of January.

This was one of my top schools so I'm ecstatic, though January seems so far away. o_O

Thanks for the info! I added this school late too so hopefully I'll hear some good news also!

Any prior interviewers recommend a hotel room?

Do you recommend driving to campus from hotel or just taking a cab?

for those who have interviews with dates far away, i would suggest checking the application site periodically to make sure you still have the date. mine is monday 10/28 and when i checked it last week and somehow it said i hadn't scheduled it despite scheduling it and getting a date confirmation mid august!! i called the admissions office and they said there must have been a glitch (they could track the communication trail including the august confirmation email) in the transfer of my name to their scheduled database or something and they said they would still accommodate me (this was just yesterday and i was getting on a plane to rochester from california -_-)

i hope this glitch doesn't turn mine into a last minute scramble interview with interviewers who don't want to be there =(

bottom line: check your interview status every once in a while....you never know what could happen!!

Last edited:
For those of you who've interviewed here already, how did you get to Hofstra? I'm thinking about flying into JFK, then taking the train to Hempstead, then I guess there's a shuttle to the school? Is there a shuttle to the hotel they recommend?

I really don't want to rent a car if I don't have to, but it seems complicated to get to a hotel and/or the school from an airport via public transportation... (Maybe I'm just making it more complicated than it needs to be??)

For those of you who've interviewed here already, how did you get to Hofstra? I'm thinking about flying into JFK, then taking the train to Hempstead, then I guess there's a shuttle to the school? Is there a shuttle to the hotel they recommend?

I really don't want to rent a car if I don't have to, but it seems complicated to get to a hotel and/or the school from an airport via public transportation... (Maybe I'm just making it more complicated than it needs to be??)

It wasn't super super easy, but it wasn't awful. I took the train to Jamaica, then transferred trans to go to Hempstead. From there, ~10 minute taxi to the hotel (I stayed at the marriott close t campus). In the morning, it's a 3 minute taxi to the medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
It wasn't super super easy, but it wasn't awful. I took the train to Jamaica, then transferred trans to go to Hempstead. From there, ~10 minute taxi to the hotel (I stayed at the marriott close t campus). In the morning, it's a 3 minute taxi to the medical school.

Thank you, that helps!

Also, did you buy train tickets in advance or just get them as you traveled? About how much did the train/taxi transport cost?

Thank you, that helps!

Also, did you buy train tickets in advance or just get them as you traveled? About how much did the train/taxi transport cost?

I didn't purchase ahead of time, I just got them at the station (If you go this route, just ensure that you go to the LIRR kiosk, rather than the metrocard kiosk, I tried to purchase tickets from the wrong machine for a good 10 minutes!). From Jamaica to Hempstead was $11, but that's peak hours when my flight came in. If it's off peak (I think before 4pm or after 8, or something similar to that) it's 8. My taxi from Hempstead station to the hotel was like $10, and then $9 to the medical school in the morning. After the interview day, they provided a shuttle to the station so that saved some cash.

In retrospect, there were other interviewees that were headed to the school in the morning from the hotel - I probably could have asked the front desk to point me to where the other people were who were headed that direction and we could have split the fare.. It's only a 3-4 minute ride, so you can't schedule it ahead of time and the front desk will just hail one for you when you're ready to go in the morning.

I didn't purchase ahead of time, I just got them at the station (If you go this route, just ensure that you go to the LIRR kiosk, rather than the metrocard kiosk, I tried to purchase tickets from the wrong machine for a good 10 minutes!). From Jamaica to Hempstead was $11, but that's peak hours when my flight came in. If it's off peak (I think before 4pm or after 8, or something similar to that) it's 8. My taxi from Hempstead station to the hotel was like $10, and then $9 to the medical school in the morning. After the interview day, they provided a shuttle to the station so that saved some cash.

In retrospect, there were other interviewees that were headed to the school in the morning from the hotel - I probably could have asked the front desk to point me to where the other people were who were headed that direction and we could have split the fare.. It's only a 3-4 minute ride, so you can't schedule it ahead of time and the front desk will just hail one for you when you're ready to go in the morning.

Very helpful, thank you so much!!

One last question--there's a train station at the airport, correct? (and I'm assuming good signs/directions to point the way?)

Yes, at JFK there is the Airtrain which you will take to Jamaica station (then the transfer to Hempstead). It's $5, and pretty easily identifiable.

Alternatively, if you decided to fly into Laguardia (I did once before when I was initially looking at Hofstra for undergrad), there's no train, and you'd need to take a taxi from the airport to the Woodside station (~20 bucks), then woodside to Jamaica, then to hempstead. It's what, $15 bucks more expensive and a bit more complicated of a travel, but if you find a much cheaper flight into LGA it might be worth it for you!

Got an interview for 11/18! Did anyone stay with a student host?

Were there more interview dates open around that time? I got an II in August and the first available date was 1/6. I don't want to drop the invite I have to look for an earlier date though!

Were there more interview dates open around that time? I got an II in August and the first available date was 1/6. I don't want to drop the invite I have to look for an earlier date though!

+1

I got an II early September, first date was in January, would love to interview in Nov as well! Can someone with a recent II who hasn't scheduled/just scheduled shed some light please?

Yes, at JFK there is the Airtrain which you will take to Jamaica station (then the transfer to Hempstead). It's $5, and pretty easily identifiable.

Alternatively, if you decided to fly into Laguardia (I did once before when I was initially looking at Hofstra for undergrad), there's no train, and you'd need to take a taxi from the airport to the Woodside station (~20 bucks), then woodside to Jamaica, then to hempstead. It's what, $15 bucks more expensive and a bit more complicated of a travel, but if you find a much cheaper flight into LGA it might be worth it for you!

Thank you so very much!! My interview date's in December--just trying to make plans so i don't spend too much on travel, haha.

So, I received an interview invite earlier this month. The earliest available date at the time was February 3rd. I called admissions earlier this week and rescheduled to the earliest date available 12/20!

I think as people accept offers elsewhere, interview slots open up. They made it easy for me to reschedule. I just wouldn't try and reschedule more than once, because they keep track of all the changes.

GL

Thank you so very much!! My interview date's in December--just trying to make plans so i don't spend too much on travel, haha.

Not a problem! It gets ridiculously expensive, I know.. GL!

Hofstra doesn't have student hosts. Or at least they hadn't had it set up as of last week when I interviewed...

Did the results come out for the 1st year's step 1 scores?

When I was there I believe they said it was around 230 (can't remember the exact number)

Rejected pre-interview via email.

OOS, no ties. <30 MCAT, high gpa. Complete early august. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected pre-ii also. Oh well! :rolleyes:

Pre-interview rejection today.

Also rejected pre-interview. Complete early October, 31/3.95

hoping for some post-interview news in the coming weeks!!!

Reactions: 1 user