2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! When would be the ideal time to send a letter to admissions describing strong ties to the state?

I'm assuming I should wait until Amcas transmits info to med schools (6/28)?

Thanks so much!

Hey, anyone on the alternate list for matriculation in fall 2013, please post here when any news is received and I'll do the same!! :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to admissions office. Alternates will not be selected for a couple weeks as they wait for second chance lottery notices to get to people.

Does anyone know if Indiana screens based on the AMCAS? Submitted 6/26 and still waiting on the secondaries...

Received an email today saying they received my app and will be reviewing it soon; sounds like secondaries will be coming within a few weeks.

Does anyone know if Indiana screens based on the AMCAS? Submitted 6/26 and still waiting on the secondaries...

If you just submitted your AMCAS on 6/26 it has to first go through verification which can take 4-6 weeks (I'm guessing it'll probably take 2-4 weeks at this point). Then after its verified, it will be submitted to IUSM and you will get an email from them saying they downloaded your app. It took 3 weeks after IUSM received the application to send out secondary info.

If you submitted your AMCAS on 6/26 you're looking at another 5-7 weeks for secondaries.

Just got rejected, but what you gonna do? No love for the lower number OOS people I guess :( But hey at least they didn't rob me first!

Just got rejected, but what you gonna do? No love for the lower number OOS people I guess :( But hey at least they didn't rob me first!

Sorry to hear that. :( I'm also OOS, but have not heard anything negative or positive. Just an email on 7/8 that they received my AMCAS app.

What are your lower numbers if you dont mind me asking? I'm low-ish OOS and I was just trying to figure out my chances

Members don't see this ad :)
If invited for an interview, you will receive the following emails:

1. Supplementary information with attachments (follow up required);
2. Approximately four weeks prior, you will be notified of your scheduled interview date/time.

Wait...so we don't get a secondary until after we get invited? Strange!

I am from Ohio, applying here. I am also applying to West Virginia. Their process is the same. If you get a secondary, you automatically interview.

OOS applicant. Just got an email they received my primary app. Can't wait til get rejected :\

I just wanted to share some information that I heard from one of assistant admission director last year.

In our brief meeting, he said that piles of apps will be divided by several different categories, like IS, OOS with ties, etc. It's possible that there will be separate piles for OOS who went to colleges in Indiana vs. OOS who have family ties with no other academic tie. I am not quite sure.

He also said that IS with 30+ MCAT automatically gets an interview, so it could be still true for this cycle. If you meet this condition and get no interview, they probably changed the policy this year.

I just wanted to share some information that I heard from one of assistant admission director last year.

In our brief meeting, he said that piles of apps will be divided by several different categories, like IS, OOS with ties, etc. It's possible that there will be separate piles for OOS who went to colleges in Indiana vs. OOS who have family ties with no other academic tie. I am not quite sure.

He also said that IS with 30+ MCAT automatically gets an interview, so it could be still true for this cycle. If you meet this condition and get no interview, they probably changed the policy this year.

Interesting! I went to college in Indiana and worked in a research lab at one of IUSOM's campuses, so I hope my ties are sufficient (despite my OOS status) to keep me from the pre-interview reject pile.

If invited for an interview, you will receive the following emails:

1. Supplementary information with attachments (follow up required);
2. Approximately four weeks prior, you will be notified of your scheduled interview date/time.

Wait...so we don't get a secondary until after we get invited? Strange!

They are essentially one in the same. When you receive secondary information, that's an indication that a formal interview invite will be coming (if not already received by the time you get the secondary info email). Also, I doubt they send out invites prior to sending out secondary info requests.

As suggested by #2, you'll be informed of your interview date. IU doesn't allow much flexibility, if any, for selecting your interview date.

Sorry to hear that:thumbdown: . I am also OOS. No word yet...

+1, with similiar stats to StLouisCards. No news is good news, I guess? When did you receive the email saying that IU received your app? (I got the email 7/8).

+1, with similiar stats to StLouisCards. No news is good news, I guess? When did you receive the email saying that IU received your app? (I got the email 7/8).

I'm with you on the no news is good news, at least for the time being. I also had similar stats, and received the e-mail on 7/8. :xf:

+2. OOS similar stats with a Masters degree. No news yet. Got the email 7/12

Anyone know if they wait until all of your letters are in before rejection? I'm similar in stats to some of the OOS rejections but haven't heard anything yet, not sure if they just haven't reviewed my app because letters aren't in.

Anyone know if they wait until all of your letters are in before rejection? I'm similar in stats to some of the OOS rejections but haven't heard anything yet, not sure if they just haven't reviewed my app because letters aren't in.

Per their admissions website, on criteria of the supplemental information (once it is requested):

E. Letter of Evaluation Form (place the name of the 3 individuals or composite letter writers who will be submitting the nonscience, science, and personal evaluations on your behalf on the form. Indiana University only requires 3 letters.* We will only print three required letters from AMCAS. If you wish to submit additional letters, you must mail them directly to the office.

Therefore, I have yet to send letters in, and will not until they tell me that they want them. It appears as though their initial review only considers the primary app, and nothing else.

Per their admissions website, on criteria of the supplemental information (once it is requested):

E. Letter of Evaluation Form (place the name of the 3 individuals or composite letter writers who will be submitting the nonscience, science, and personal evaluations on your behalf on the form. Indiana University only requires 3 letters.* We will only print three required letters from AMCAS. If you wish to submit additional letters, you must mail them directly to the office.

Therefore, I have yet to send letters in, and will not until they tell me that they want them. It appears as though their initial review only considers the primary app, and nothing else.

Thanks!!

I keep seeing about a lot of rejections, but has anyone listed that they have received a secondary? I got the email from iu on July 16 saying they received my app. I applied EDP. Thanks!

I keep seeing about a lot of rejections, but has anyone listed that they have received a secondary? I got the email from iu on July 16 saying they received my app. I applied EDP. Thanks!

I don't think anyone else has gotten it yet.. I am not sure..

Rejected too!!

Out of state

When did you guys get the application being reviewed email? If you don't mind me asking...I catch my breath every time my phone beeps about an email because I'm afraid it'll be a rejection too!

I got my email on July 8th and have not heard anything other than that. I guess I taking the, "no news is good news" approach.

I got an interview invite today as well!

Im OOS (no ties) 3.9, 32, and a lot of ECs.

Im OOS (no ties) 3.9, 32, and a lot of ECs.

Do you mind sharing what day you got your first email from iu saying they got your app? Also, is there an essay prompt?

Interview invite here! OOS! No ties too! Pleasantly surprised!!