2013-2014 Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just want to provide some encouragement to those who feel like they've been passed over:

Last year I submitted my secondary to Jeff in the first week of July. I then had absolutely no contact from them until 8 months later when I got a phone call and got invited to interview (and, 1 week after the interview, accepted). Don't lose hope after just a few weeks.

That said, if you really want to go here, don't do what I did. Send updates that state your interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to provide some encouragement to those who feel like they've been passed over:

Last year I submitted my secondary to Jeff in the first week of July. I then had absolutely no contact from them until 8 months later when I got a phone call and got invited to interview (and, 1 week after the interview, accepted). Don't lose hope after just a few weeks.

That said, if you really want to go here, don't do what I did. Send updates that state your interest.

Congrats! but that sounds so nervewrecking! Gonna be tough to wait that long.

Did you at least have other interviews/acceptances to hold you over?

Does Jeff send "complete" emails?

I have a "decision pending" status on the secondary and was wondering if that meant I was under review (or in queue) or what!

They sent me an email with an attachment:

Dear Applicant:

We are pleased to inform you your application is complete and under review. Interviews are conducted from mid September until mid April. If the Committee on Admissions invite you for an interview you will receive an email invitation 3 – 5 weeks in advance.
Thank you for your interest in Jefferson Medical College.

Office of Admissions

Jefferson Medical College

My status page says "Decision Pending" as well, so I would assume that you're complete and are/will be under review shortly.

FWIW, I know classmates that literally interviewed the last possible day and were accepted. Don't be too worried if you don't get one right away. Jeff gets A LOT of applicants.

Does Jeff send "complete" emails?

I have a "decision pending" status on the secondary and was wondering if that meant I was under review (or in queue) or what!

Similar situation here... Never got a "complete" email, but it says they've received everything and I have "Decision pending" next to "Interview status"...

Similar situation here... Never got a "complete" email, but it says they've received everything and I have "Decision pending" next to "Interview status"...

Same, never got a complete email. But I called and the lady, extremely rudely, told me that as long as it says Yes next to everything, you are complete.

I guess we talked to the same lady. I never expected someone in admissions to be that rude hahah

I guess we talked to the same lady. I never expected someone in admissions to be that rude hahah

Haha yup! I barely said two words before she began to walk me through the process of logging into my account as if I had never tried that

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to the same lady too...It's like she was talking to a 5 year old. She must really not like her job...:bullcrap:

I spoke to the same lady too...It's like she was talking to a 5 year old. She must really not like her job...:bullcrap:

How would you feel getting flooded with phone calls by applicants asking the EXACT same questions over and over and over again? I'd run out of patience after a few days. You realize they have other, more important work to do, right?

I had some IT problems, and I spoke with a lovely woman in the admissions office. I remember her name, but I'm not going to mention it here. Anyway, she contacted their IT department and solved my problem within 2 hours. She also gave me a followup call to ensure that everything was solved.

The person I spoke to could be a different person, or maybe she was having a bad day. Who knows.

Is it normal to have had no email correspondence. They sent me secondary on July 9th and I submitted like a week after then. I haven't heard back at all and when I log in again it says this when I click on my web application:

This is a summary of the Web application that was selected. This Web application is complete but has not yet been processed.

Anyone want to guess what this means. I just want to know just to make sure that I didn't forget to hit the submit button. I paid, wrote my essay, and everything, but don't know why I am still to be processed.

Is it normal to have had no email correspondence. They sent me secondary on July 9th and I submitted like a week after then. I haven't heard back at all and when I log in again it says this when I click on my web application:

This is a summary of the Web application that was selected. This Web application is complete but has not yet been processed.

Anyone want to guess what this means. I just want to know just to make sure that I didn't forget to hit the submit button. I paid, wrote my essay, and everything, but don't know why I am still to be processed.
I have the same message. But if you go back and click on "Display Secondary Application Status," you should be able to see "Decision pending" next to "Interview Status."

I have the same message. But if you go back and click on "Display Secondary Application Status," you should be able to see "Decision pending" next to "Interview Status."

:thumbup:

I assume your all right, just waiting to be reviewed. The application has an area to check each part of your application, so if they say yes next to them all, I would think you would be alright

How would you feel getting flooded with phone calls by applicants asking the EXACT same questions over and over and over again? I'd run out of patience after a few days. You realize they have other, more important work to do, right?
What work is so important for an admissions secretary to get done? I imagine that they have low, hourly paid workers to sit at desks to answer phone questions and do small tasks in the office, like most other businesses. No reason for an attitude over the phone.

What work is so important for an admissions secretary to get done? I imagine that they have low, hourly paid workers to sit at desks to answer phone questions and do small tasks in the office, like most other businesses. No reason for an attitude over the phone.
I think they may have more responsibilities than you think. At least from what I observed at my one interview, there were only two admissions secretaries, and I wouldn't even really define them as secretaries. They were responsible for checking everyone in and answering questions about the school. I also think they have more influence on admissions decisions than might be expected...They met every student, took notes about our behavior and interaction with other students, etc. I barely met anyone from the actual admission committee, besides my interviewers. Again, this was at the only interview I've had so far, but I wouldn't doubt if it was similar at other universities.

I think they may have more responsibilities than you think. At least from what I observed at my one interview, there were only two admissions secretaries, and I wouldn't even really define them as secretaries. They were responsible for checking everyone in and answering questions about the school. I also think they have more influence on admissions decisions than might be expected...They met every student, took notes about our behavior and interaction with other students, etc. I barely met anyone from the actual admission committee, besides my interviewers. Again, this was at the only interview I've had so far, but I wouldn't doubt if it was similar at other universities.

Still, if I extend a professional attitude, I expect it to be returned to me.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my 2ndary already. On the first page there is a portion that says "application preference - not entered". What does that mean? Also, how do we know they have received our letters; I don't see a section for that.

thanks

Yikes man, check that entitled attitude at the door.

I'm agreeing with Yankee on this one, I was very friendly and calm over the phone and got torn apart for no reason. Also... I wouldn't call what I just said entitled. It's how it is.

i got interview offered,is there a way we can choose the date? my is pre selected at 9/25?

i got interview offered,is there a way we can choose the date? my is pre selected at 9/25?

same, interview 9/25. it says you can email a request to change it, but they can't guarantee you getting a new date if you request a change

I'm agreeing with Yankee on this one, I was very friendly and calm over the phone and got torn apart for no reason. Also... I wouldn't call what I just said entitled. It's how it is.

I called about a week and a half after submitting the secondary just to make sure that my LOR were received and my polite inquiry was also met by a pretty harsh attitude. However, I was really really nice and thanked her many times and the phone call ended well. I do have to say, I was put-off before I even read any of these comments.

Maybe instead of us bashing the secretary, we should bash the school for not being clear enough. Maybe if their system was more clear (when LOR were received, not just saying "decision pending" for a month, etc.) we wouldn't have to call… Either way, I hope the secretary can realize that her job is to deal with neurotic premeds and try to be a tad bit happier :thumbup: :D

same, interview 9/25. it says you can email a request to change it, but they can't guarantee you getting a new date if you request a change

haha so we are stuck with that date,

OOS (big philly ties), 3.7 33, done july22

Oh yeah, I'm totally not agreeing that it's okay for either party to sass over the phone, but your assumption that just because some one is a "low, hourly paid worker" that their job isn't important - just thought it was kind of rude. That's all.

I called about a week and a half after submitting the secondary just to make sure that my LOR were received and my polite inquiry was also met by a pretty harsh attitude. However, I was really really nice and thanked her many times and the phone call ended well. I do have to say, I was put-off before I even read any of these comments.

Maybe instead of us bashing the secretary, we should bash the school for not being clear enough. Maybe if their system was more clear (when LOR were received, not just saying "decision pending" for a month, etc.) we wouldn't have to call… Either way, I hope the secretary can realize that her job is to deal with neurotic premeds and try to be a tad bit happier :thumbup: :D
Thanks for summing that up eloquently, Bundle. +1

Maybe it's a regional thing, and more so a Philly thing. Born and raised in the area and many of my west coast friends have told me that I come off as rude...

Yeah.. I grew up in California and moved to Boston two years ago and agree. The customer service mentality is very different in different regions, which is really off putting if you're not used to it. Personally, I like not having my @$$ kissed by total strangers and just cutting to the chase, which New Englanders are great at, haha.

I asked about the letters and stated the two people who I would be writing about. I asked if I could substitute my dissertation advisor and my boss for my physics and humanities profs. I got an email that said:
----

Dear Applicant:

This is a response to your request for clarification of the letters of recommendation required to complete your application. Please note that letters of recommendation for our school are sent directly to AMCAS. If you have questions regarding Letters of Recommendation transmission please call AMCAS directly at 202.828.0600.

Jefferson prefers to receive letters from a preprofessional committee, or letter service provided by your institution.

If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by
individual faculty members (one each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Humanities, if possible).
If your circumstances prevent either of these options, please submit a letter stating from whom we should expect
letters - three letters will be acceptable.

Applicants who have been involved in graduate programs are encouraged to provide additional letters from their graduate school.

Please visit our website at www.jefferson.edu for further information.

Note: Please email any questions or comments regarding your application to [email protected] or FAX via our digital FAX LINE @ 215.503.8877.

Office of Admissions

------

I also got a letter that said:

-------
Dear Applicant:

I am pleased to report that the letters you wish to supply in lieu of the required letters are acceptable for application to Jefferson Medical College. Please have school/recommenders send letters directly to AMCAS via VirtualEval, Interfolio or postal mail. Do not send letters of recommendation directly to Jefferson Medical College, they are to be sent to AMCAS. If you have any questions regarding letter of recommendation transmission method please call AMCAS directly at 215.828.0600.

Office of Admissions
----

So, it's possible!

Uh oh! Didn't do this. Where do I send such a request letter?

Yeah.. I grew up in California and moved to Boston two years ago and agree. The customer service mentality is very different in different regions, which is really off putting if you're not used to it. Personally, I like not having my @$$ kissed by total strangers and just cutting to the chase, which New Englanders are great at, haha.

I guess everyone sees their own subtle differences though. For example, I'm a New Yorker who spent a lot of time in Philly and I have to say people who work "customer service" type jobs in Philly are just way nicer. Maybe not compared to Cali or Florida or something but definitely way nicer than most people in New York.

In any case though, it's true, maybe the lady was having a bad day/week. You never know what someone is going through. I'm usually more sensitive than that but I guess I was just pretty blindsided by her attitude.

Alright, so I'm having some serious issues with the secondary application web form.

I hit "submit" and for some reason I got some error that said "invalid character", please try to reenter your secondary...or something like that. (I DID NOT copy/paste my essays)

I log out and try to hit the "complete medical college secondary application" link and it says this! "Our records indicate that you have already submitted a secondary application to Jefferson Medical College. This denies you access to the Activation form. If this is a mistake, please notify JMC Admissions immediately."

When I go back to check "Display Secondary Application Status", it says that the secondary has not been received and my SSN says "none".

On the homepage, it says this under submitted application:
Pre-Fall 2014 Medical College Not entered MEDICINE

Wtf!? Did anyone else have the same problems!?

^^ Okay, that was me freaking out ( just a little). If someone could tell me what it says when they click "Pre-Fall 2014", under their web application summary, that would great.

Thanks!

^^ Okay, that was me freaking out ( just a little). If someone could tell me what it says when they click "Pre-Fall 2014", under their web application summary, that would great.

Thanks!

For me, it lists the following: name, address, admission term, date created....

I would call them this morning if I were you.

My ssn still says none… It always has and I'm 100% sure that I entered it. Could it be a privacy setting?