2013-2014 Loma Linda University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

2. What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

3. What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

4. Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

5. What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

6. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

7. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

8. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

9. Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)
Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Woot! Good luck to all this application season! If you have any Loma Linda questions, let me know!

Can't believe the time is almost here to click that submit button! Loma Linda is my dream school and practically one of the only schools I am applying to...I know I belong there and cannot wait for this process to get started :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't believe the time is almost here to click that submit button! Loma Linda is my dream school and practically one of the only schools I am applying to...I know I belong there and cannot wait for this process to get started :)

Awesome! Look forward to meeting ya'll sometime in the future!

anyone know how receptive Loma Linda is to non-Christian applicants? I'm interested in the school, but I don't practice Christianity. If the school is more about values than actual practice, it seems like it would be a great place for me.

anyone know how receptive Loma Linda is to non-Christian applicants? I'm interested in the school, but I don't practice Christianity. If the school is more about values than actual practice, it seems like it would be a great place for me.

Here's what someone said from last year's LLU SDN forum:

"I was raised as an Adventist and attended an Adventist highschool and college. I can tell you that Loma Linda is known for being progressive, and that their student body is a decent mix of world views. The required chapels are a hoop if you don't buy into it, the classes can be approach like any philosophy class. As long as you respect them (don't be a jerk), they won't as an institution, proselytize you. If you really take issue with it and have another option I would pursue it, but if you can take a deep breath and deal then they are a very valid option. Oh, and for those not raised in the community: you'll score points if you pronounce the name "Add-vint-ist" not Add-vEnt-ist."

I'm don't practice Christianity, but I am religious and I think their values align very well with mine and am really hoping for some love! I randomly starting following their blog awhile back and the students seem very friendly, happy, and optimistic too.

Ya'll should check out this video that LLU made. Really informative of what life on campus is like. Be inspired!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeSW2Gg1qIY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Praying for an secondary app, interview and hopefully acceptance!
Live 20 min from the campus, my mother was a NICU nurse here for 15 years! Love this school it is one of my top choices!

Hey anyone know if there is a place on the application to put down a family member works for loma Linda? I'm assuming no but you never know!

Praying for an secondary app, interview and hopefully acceptance!
Live 20 min from the campus, my mother was a NICU nurse here for 15 years! Love this school it is one of my top choices!

Hey anyone know if there is a place on the application to put down a family member works for loma Linda? I'm assuming no but you never know!

If it comes up *organically*, you could mention it in the interview if you wanted to.

I know at some point, I was asked on a sheet of paper if any of my parents graduated from LLUSM, not where they worked.

my 1st question: does anyone know the specifics of their rules regarding alcohol? i remember someone mentioning something about prohibiting alcohol (and late evening visitors or something) on campus. i'm assuming this pertains to people who live on campus.

my 2nd question: why are people living on campus? are there no other options?

thanks

my 1st question: does anyone know the specifics of their rules regarding alcohol? i remember someone mentioning something about prohibiting alcohol (and late evening visitors or something) on campus. i'm assuming this pertains to people who live on campus.

my 2nd question: why are people living on campus? are there no other options?

thanks

If you intend to come to LLU, keep in mind this is a religious institution run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, a worldwide Christian denomination and education system - this being its flagship school. What makes Loma Linda unique is their creation health message. You sign an agreement that you'll abide by their lifestyle policies. Part of those policies is that you won't be drinking or doing drugs while at LLU.

They have dorms on campus, but most people choose to live off campus. There are plenty of other options off campus.

It's a great school - they just want you to stay in good health.

Members don't see this ad :)
wonderdog, would you mind if I PM'ed you some questions? :)

If you intend to come to LLU, keep in mind this is a religious institution run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, a worldwide Christian denomination and education system - this being its flagship school. What makes Loma Linda unique is their creation health message. You sign an agreement that you'll abide by their lifestyle policies. Part of those policies is that you won't be drinking or doing drugs while at LLU.

They have dorms on campus, but most people choose to live off campus. There are plenty of other options off campus.

It's a great school - they just want you to stay in good health.

thanks for the insight.

i was wondering if the alcohol policy is about moderation or completely prohibited.

and if it is prohibited, if it's religious or health reasons.

i know i'm not going to be throwing parties, but i wouldn't mind having casual/social get togethers with fellow students. or even a drink once in awhile by myself. <- so even this would be prohibited?

thanks for the insight.

i was wondering if the alcohol policy is about moderation or completely prohibited.

and if it is prohibited, if it's religious or health reasons.

i know i'm not going to be throwing parties, but i wouldn't mind having casual/social get togethers with fellow students. or even a drink once in awhile by myself. <- so even this would be prohibited?

Excellent questions.

Here's an excerpt of the student handbook that excellently describes (in my opinion) the religious and health reasons.

u0YwGk3.png

nE4M9eB.png

You can find the student handbook here. You can find the first excerpt on page 21 and the second on page 61.

Does this help?

having limited hours at library, study hall, and rec during the weekend could be an issue

having limited hours at library, study hall, and rec during the weekend could be an issue

It's only Friday night and Saturday. I've asked alumni of that school (even non-Christians) and they've told me that they grew to enjoy the day off of school and found it quite refreshing. Things open back up on Sunday. Many of the students organize recreational activities off campus on Saturday, such as camping, hiking, mountain biking, and ultimate frisbee, among others.

Excellent questions.

Here's an excerpt of the student handbook that excellently describes (in my opinion) the religious and health reasons.

You can find the student handbook here. You can find the first excerpt on page 21 and the second on page 61.

Does this help?

Are all those who practice SDA vegetarian? Or is it just suggested for clean living?

Are all those who practice SDA vegetarian? Or is it just suggested for clean living?

No, not everyone is vegetarian. It is suggested for healthful living, which is why LLU is a vegetarian campus. IMHO, LLU does an excellent job with vegetarian food.

Because Loma Lina gives out automatic secondaries and their are a lot of questions, I'm trying to get started now. I was perusing the website, but I noticed the list of student organizations isn't up. Can anyone tell me about some of the popular groups/opportunities? :)

Because Loma Lina gives out automatic secondaries and their are a lot of questions, I'm trying to get started now. I was perusing the website, but I noticed the list of student organizations isn't up. Can anyone tell me about some of the popular groups/opportunities? :)

Here's an incomplete list:
1. School of Medicine Student Association
2. Academic Review Committee
3. Basic Science Course Directors
4. American Medical Association (LLU Chapter)
5. American Medical Student Association
6. AAMC-OSR
7. Student National Medical Association
8. Anesthesiology Interest Group (IG)
9. Dermatology IG
10. Emergency Medicine IG
11. Family Medicine IG
12. Internal Medicine IG
13. Lifestyle and Preventive Medicine Interest Group
14. Mission Interest Group (this is a big one)
15. Navy Medicine IG
16. OB/GYN IG
17. Ophthalmology IG
18. Pathology IG
19. Pediatric IG
20. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation IG
21. Psychiatry IG
22. Radiology IG
23. Student Interest Group of Neurology
24. Surgery IG
25. Wilderness Medicine IG
26. Healthy Neighborhoods Project - this has a variety of subgroups.
27. SACHS Student Community Clinic
28. Students for Social Change
29. Neurosurgery IG
30. San Bernardino Juvenile hall Mentorship Program
31. Home Stay Organization
32. Junior Medical Auxiliary
33. Students for International Missions Service (SIMS) - another big one.

There's the list, so I'll describe some of them off this list with time.

Ya'll should check out this video that LLU made. Really informative of what life on campus is like. Be inspired!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeSW2Gg1qIY[/YOUTUBE]

I am very appreciative of this information. I am an SDA from the South Eastern conference, but i am not a life long member. I considered Loma Linda but know I think that I would love the ability to attend this school. I am in the process of applying, sending off my application on this upcoming Friday and I am applying to as many med schools as I can, but I have determined the correct ones that fit with my personality where I feel as if I have something special to offer, like Meharry, Harvard and LECOM just to name a few. Yes both allopathic and DO.

Got my secondary today =) So excited. One of my top choices!!!:thumbup::)

For those of you who received the secondary, can you please tell me if spaces are included in the character count? Thanks!

Hey Alumn or current students,

Does anyone know what are some unique features at Loma Linda that you cant find elsewhere, or rarely find elsewhere. Like level 1 trauma center for instance. But other things, maybe student orgs, opportunities for medical student, etc.

Hey Alumn or current students,

Does anyone know what are some unique features at Loma Linda that you cant find elsewhere, or rarely find elsewhere. Like level 1 trauma center for instance. But other things, maybe student orgs, opportunities for medical student, etc.

Loma Linda University Medical Center serves as the region's Level I trauma center.

Loma Linda has a state-of-the-art simulation center. More information can be found in this video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXY_VtEhTNI[/YOUTUBE]

There are some excellent student organizations as I listed above, but perhaps one of more unique ones is the Student Mission Interest Group. Loma Linda is committed to mission work both locally and internationally. There are multiple mission work opportunities for med students every year. Other schools may offer this, but not to the extent of LLUSM.

Hope this answers your question.

1. Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University School of Medicine (LLUSM). (750 characters max)

2. What makes LLUSM particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

3. What qualities make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLUSM? (750 characters max)

4. Discuss how your spiritual experience has influenced your life and how you integrate it into your daily life. (750 characters max)

5. What experiences in your life would illustrate your perspective on service to others? (750 characters max)

6. As a Christian educational institution the medical curriculum integrates spiritual, ethical, and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services and religion courses are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters max)

7. Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution that has lifestyle expectations that include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms. In the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which one(s)? (250 characters max)

8. If accepted to LLUSM, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of Loma Linda University School of Medicine? (250 characters max)

Submitted secondary a few days ago, forgot to update on here. Let the waiting and patience testing begin! =)

So I called admissions at LLU SOM today, and asked (somewhat circuitously) what % of the student body are actually Adventists. I didn't get a clear answer.

What do you guys think about this one? Even if admissions won't tell me, I think that it's important to know for prospective students. Thanks.

So I called admissions at LLU SOM today, and asked (somewhat circuitously) what % of the student body are actually Adventists. I didn't get a clear answer.

What do you guys think about this one? Even if admissions won't tell me, I think that it's important to know for prospective students. Thanks.

I'm not SDA, but I am a Christian and my secondary answers reflect my faith sincerely. So i hope i have a shot!

I'm not SDA, but I am a Christian and my secondary answers reflect my faith sincerely. So i hope i have a shot!
+1. A friend of mine, a Christian, with decent stats interviewed at LLU last cycle so hopefully the love carries over for us!

That's a good question. I have no idea.

Does anyone know what percentage of students are not religious that attend LLUSM?

So from last years forum it sounds like LLU interviews all SDA applicants first. Last year it seems that LLU didn't even interview any other applicants until January.

Does anyone else have further insight on LLU admission procedure?

Is being Christian with good morals and high stats good enough to get you in?

What's up guys, I'm an MS3 at LLU, hit me up with any questions if I can help! Though it looks like Wonderdog has it well covered :)

Does anyone know what percentage of students are not religious that attend LLUSM?

Our class is right at about 55% SDA, give or take. It's hard to really estimate the percentage of non-religious students that are in my class, but of those I've met, I can count the number with my hands. This is mostly due to who applies to LLU, as I'm sure the religious affiliation is a turn off for many applicants; it is NOT because the school preferentially picks its candidates based on religion.

So from last years forum it sounds like LLU interviews all SDA applicants first. Last year it seems that LLU didn't even interview any other applicants until January.

Does anyone else have further insight on LLU admission procedure?

Is being Christian with good morals and high stats good enough to get you in?

It's true, LLU does interview mostly SDA applicants first. This starts when the dean of admissions travels to the big SDA undergrads (La Sierra, Andrews, Southern, Union, etc), and holds interviews with qualified candidates. All other interview invites (other SDA and non-SDA) begin in the late fall and run through April-ish. LLU accepts via a rolling admissions policy, so because SDA's interview first, they are typically the main constituent of the first group to be accepted. However, this does not mean being an SDA instantly gets you in, it just means that you have an easier time getting an interview. LLU only accepts applicants with the typical good MCAT scores, GPA, and well-rounded EC's. I've seen plenty of SDA applicants get turned down for better candidates. So don't be afraid to apply! Just remember that you have to be okay with the religious affiliation of the school. No one is going to proselytize you or judge you for different beliefs, I promise. Everyone here is very open minded and accepting, and I have loved that collaborative atmosphere of this school. Just don't freak out when a teacher prays before exam or you find an SDA church on campus! :)

Last edited:
This is mostly due to who applies to LLU, as I'm sure the religious affiliation is a turn off for many applicants, and NOT because the school preferentially picks it's candidates based on religion.

emphasis added

...This is mostly due to who applies to LLU, as I'm sure the religious affiliation is a turn off for many applicants, and NOT because the school preferentially picks it's candidates based on religion...

...Just remember that you have to be okay with the religious affiliation of the school. No one is going to proselatize you or judge you for different beliefs, I promise. Everyone here is very open minded and accepting, and I have loved that collaborative atmosphere of this school. Just don't freak out when a teacher prays before exam or you find an SDA church on campus! :)

:thumbup:

This all seems reasonable. My interest in LLU is definitely due to the religious affiliation (even though I'm not SDA myself), especially given that it's otherwise far from home, and I can imagine that being a major factor for most people.

I went to emergency room last year due to alcohol poisoning because my friends pranked me and had a mixed of alcohol in my "cranberry juice". i'm not sure how they might find out about my medical records but i don't want a lie in my application either. anybody have any advice for me? :(

I went to emergency room last year due to alcohol poisoning because my friends pranked me and had a mixed of alcohol in my "cranberry juice". i'm not sure how they might find out about my medical records but i don't want a lie in my application either. anybody have any advice for me? :(

Is that the only time you had drank? If so, I might be tempted not mention it since it wasn't intentionally, but then I don't know, I wouldn't want to lie either. You could always spin it to be less dramatic like "I unintentionally consumed..." I'm not sure, :oops:.

Even if you drink on occasion by choice, from the outside, I think it's better to be honest but make it known that you are willing to abide by the lifestyle commitment.

Be honest. There are students who drink here. Just as long as you agree to abide by their lifestyle policies during the school year, you should be fine on that account.

Last edited: