2013-2014 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard, second-hand, that LSU-Nola is no longer accepting OOS applicants? This year, they accepted 40, but apparently that has been closed except to children of previous graduates. I hope that isn't the case - I'm a WA resident, but I did my M.S. at Tulane and will be doing AmeriCorps in Nola through next May, so I would qualify for residency as soon as I change my driver's license and vehicle registration.

I heard, second-hand, that LSU-Nola is no longer accepting OOS applicants? This year, they accepted 40, but apparently that has been closed except to children of previous graduates. I hope that isn't the case - I'm a WA resident, but I did my M.S. at Tulane and will be doing AmeriCorps in Nola through next May, so I would qualify for residency as soon as I change my driver's license and vehicle registration.
I hope this is not true. Their website still says they accept OOS though as of right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a master's from there, and it's my impression they have very few seats for OOS. Maybe in your statement you can include that you live in New Orleans and how great an experience it has been. Might give you a little advantage. :)

Has anyone heard of students accepted to LSU with MCAT scores below 27? I haven't taken it yet and don't hope to make a 27, but I was curious.

Does anyone know the correct interpretation of this statement concerning Early decision?

The latest date to apply to AMCAS is August 1, 2013.
The latest date to complete file in Admissions Office is normally September 1, 2013.

Does "complete" mean that they could be waiting on an MCAT score? I'd love another month of studying if I don't have to have my MCAt score back by August 1. Is this a Robby Bowen question? I feel like getting this basic information like this should be easy but it never seems to be.

Has anyone heard of students accepted to LSU with MCAT scores below 27? I haven't taken it yet and don't hope to make a 27, but I was curious.

At the SNMA mock interviews in January, Dr. Delcarpio said "it's not all about grades, I've got students with a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 that are fixing to fail and and one we let in with a 22 and a 2.7 who is passing with honors"- I took that as a yes, but you've gotta have one hell of a PS and EC's.

At the SNMA mock interviews in January, Dr. Delcarpio said "it's not all about grades, I've got students with a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 that are fixing to fail and and one we let in with a 22 and a 2.7 who is passing with honors"- I took that as a yes, but you've gotta have one hell of a PS and EC's.

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I have about 2 years experience as an MA and almost another year as a medical receptionist, and since I am post-bacc, my calculated sGPA is about 3.8 (with the 32 hr rule.)

Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. I have about 2 years experience as an MA and almost another year as a medical receptionist, and since I am post-bacc, my calculated sGPA is about 3.8 (with the 32 hr rule.)

Let's hear it for that 32+ hour rule. :thumbup:

As far as the grades vs EC's, and it has become a "vs" of sorts, I feel like many undergrads I've spent the last 1.5 years around seem to believe EC's are a substitute for good grades/high score instead of a supplement. People hear a story about the guy with the 2.7 and the 22 and think that could be them because they worked that call button and filled up lots of buckets of ice.

This might be a stupid question, but what is the 32 hour rule?

This might be a stupid question, but what is the 32 hour rule?

At NO, they will take the last 32 hours of credits and replace that with your UG GPA. It's helpful for nontrads who may have not had a stellar UG career. So if you did an SMP and did well, that would also replace your UG GPA.

So... What if our last 32 hours aren't stellar compared to the previous 120?

Members don't see this ad :)
My last 32 credit hours were post back.. :/ I had to work 3 jobs to pay for nursing school so my nursing GPA wasn't stellar. My overall is still above a 3.5 and my science is above a 3.75, but my last 7 classes have been 1 C, 6 Bs, and an A.

Hey I wanted to get some advice on ED if y'all don't mind. I am currently on the WL for LSUHSC NO, but in my interview orientation I took notes and wrote down that most people on the WL have to re-apply. My MCAT and GPA aren't stellar (28P and 3.6 Post-bacc GPA) but I was thinking about applying ED. I just don't want to set myself up for disaster, and wanted to know what others would do. Help me?:confused:

Hey I wanted to get some advice on ED if y'all don't mind. I am currently on the WL for LSUHSC NO, but in my interview orientation I took notes and wrote down that most people on the WL have to re-apply. My MCAT and GPA aren't stellar (28P and 3.6 Post-bacc GPA) but I was thinking about applying ED. I just don't want to set myself up for disaster, and wanted to know what others would do. Help me?:confused:

I'm trying to decide on ED as well. I understand both sides of the dilemma, so I don't know how to figure what's best. I don't know anyone personally who has done it before.

My last 32 credit hours were post back.. :/ I had to work 3 jobs to pay for nursing school so my nursing GPA wasn't stellar. My overall is still above a 3.5 and my science is above a 3.75, but my last 7 classes have been 1 C, 6 Bs, and an A.

They take into account if you had to work to get through school. It's on the website and Dr. Eubanks told me in not those exact words, but basically they understand post-baccs have to work.

Does anyone know the correct interpretation of this statement concerning Early decision?

The latest date to apply to AMCAS is August 1, 2013.
The latest date to complete file in Admissions Office is normally September 1, 2013.

Does "complete" mean that they could be waiting on an MCAT score? I'd love another month of studying if I don't have to have my MCAt score back by August 1. Is this a Robby Bowen question? I feel like getting this basic information like this should be easy but it never seems to be.

It's my impression from the admissions office, that if it's your first time taking the MCAT, then your file has to be complete (meaning everything including MCAT scores have to be received) by August 1st. If it's not your first time taking the MCAT, then you can submit those scores later on.

Last edited:

It can't hurt to apply ED in my opinion. I too am on the WL (woo-hoo) and am planning on applying ED. My cousin is a current L3 and applied ED along with several of his friends who are also current L3s. I don't know if less people apply so they all had a better chance, or if they were all just stellar applicants, but they all got in their first try. The only negative in my book is that if you don't get accepted ED than you're late in the game applying to other schools regular decision.

At NO, they will take the last 32 hours of credits and replace that with your UG GPA. It's helpful for nontrads who may have not had a stellar UG career. So if you did an SMP and did well, that would also replace your UG GPA.

:eek: Looks like I'll definitely be applying here. I'm assuming my 32 hrs of post-bacc work will count as UG gpa seeing that I wasn't granted a graduate degree. This just made my day!

Do they take the last 32 hours and call that a GPA and consider it? I'm confused on this. Also does Shreveport do this?

Do they take the last 32 hours and call that a GPA and consider it? I'm confused on this. Also does Shreveport do this?

If you returned to school, as a postbacc student, and completed 32 hours of study, the GPA received will be the one they consider. I know this is true if you do an SMP. I would call to verify if it works for an UG postbacc. Dr. Eubanks was quite open with the policy when he spoke at my school.

I'm unsure about Shreveport's official policy. He told me personally that my SMP GPA would replace my UG one. I'm unsure if this is on an individual basis or if that is a blanket policy as well.

If you returned to school, as a postbacc student, and completed 32 hours of study, the GPA received will be the one they consider. I know this is true if you do an SMP. I would call to verify if it works for an UG postbacc. Dr. Eubanks was quite open with the policy when he spoke at my school.

I'm unsure about Shreveport's official policy. He told me personally that my SMP GPA would replace my UG one. I'm unsure if this is on an individual basis or if that is a blanket policy as well.

Interesting! I did a year of post Bach, retaking classes mainly for DO.. And I took 34 hours, 22 of which were bcmp. Do you know If it HAS to be bcmp or can it include non science as well? Thanks for the tip.. I may be Looking there now.

Interesting! I did a year of post Bach, retaking classes mainly for DO.. And I took 34 hours, 22 of which were bcmp. Do you know If it HAS to be bcmp or can it include non science as well? Thanks for the tip.. I may be Looking there now.

I really don't know. Call and ask them. The most they can do is tell you no.

It has to be BCMP. I talked to Dr. Eubanks after I was rejected my first year and that is what he told me.

It has to be BCMP. I talked to Dr. Eubanks after I was rejected my first year and that is what he told me.

Does it have to be 32 hours to be considered? Or will any amount of bcmp post Bach hours work? I would call the damn school but its Saturday lol

Does it have to be 32 hours to be considered? Or will any amount of bcmp post Bach hours work? I would call the damn school but its Saturday lol

The implications of what you are suggesting is that any amount of post bacc study will replace your entire ug gpa, 3 hrs? 12 hrs? That wouldn't make much sense. The cut off from what I was told was 32 science hours and was to include upper level classes. Ymmv, so go talk to Dr. Eubanks.

Doesn't the website drop a pretty big hint at who they are looking for with ED? It seems like applying more broadly or improving your app would be more beneficial than being an under dog for ED and hoping for the best anyways.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide on ED as well. I understand both sides of the dilemma, so I don't know how to figure what's best. I don't know anyone personally who has done it before.

I have a 3.65 GPA, average ECs, and 1.5 years of clinical experience. I am a NOLA resident, and my advisor, who works at a school in louisiana and has helped many premeds place at LSU over the years, advised me to apply ED if I get over a 30 on my MCAT. Just thought that might put it in perspective for some of ya'll who are wondering.

I have a 3.65 GPA, average ECs, and 1.5 years of clinical experience. I am a NOLA resident, and my advisor, who works at a school in louisiana and has helped many premeds place at LSU over the years, advised me to apply ED if I get over a 30 on my MCAT. Just thought that might put it in perspective for some of ya'll who are wondering.
Thanks!

I'm a student here finishing up 2nd year. I'll try to check in on this thread from time to time to answer questions

I know a student with a 26, in addition to Dr. D's anecdote. They're doing plenty well in classes

I had never even heard of this, but that's awesome - too many nontrads who would be fine med students get boned by years gone by undergrad

Doesn't the website drop a pretty big hint at who they are looking for with ED? It seems like applying more broadly or improving your app would be more beneficial than being an under dog for ED and hoping for the best anyways.

I was an ED applicant. If you aren't positive you want to go to LSU-NO, I wouldn't apply ED. If you don't get in, it makes you really late for other schools. However, even if you don't meet the criteria they outline (3.5+ 10/10/10+), I don't see the harm in applying ED if you're positive you want to go here (and only here). It would show commitment, and I believe (don't take my word, look into it for yourself) that your application would just fall into the regular stack if they didn't grant you ED admission or an ED interview

I was an ED applicant. If you aren't positive you want to go to LSU-NO, I wouldn't apply ED. If you don't get in, it makes you really late for other schools. However, even if you don't meet the criteria they outline (3.5+ 10/10/10+), I don't see the harm in applying ED if you're positive you want to go here (and only here). It would show commitment, and I believe (don't take my word, look into it for yourself) that your application would just fall into the regular stack if they didn't grant you ED admission or an ED interview

Would you mind sharing your stats and talking about your experience applying ED? Were you an in-state applicant?

Would you mind sharing your stats and talking about your experience applying ED? Were you an in-state applicant?

As far as stats, 35 mcat, somewhere around a 3.6-.7 gpa for overall and bcpm (don't remember exactly). Volunteered 2-300 hours in a psych hospital w/the OT department, created/taught a free mcat prep group at my university for 2 years, supervised a peer mentoring program at my university for a year. Weak point of my app was probably my amount of shadowing (don't remember exactly how much, but <30 hours for sure). That's what I can recall off hand anyway.

I was an instate applicant, but I went to undergrad out of state.

The ED application experience was fine - I think everyone from my interview group was accepted (and my understanding is the ED acceptance rate is generally quite high). It was also nice to find out by the start of October (I think that was the month) that you were accepted and to just not have that to worry about. I'm not sure what else there is to talk about specific to ED, but if you have a more specific question, I'd maybe be able to answer it better. The interviews were fine overall - professional, but no grilling or anything, just the routine questions you'd expect to get. One interview was a bit awkward, but after talking with other applicants, I think it was mostly the interviewer. Had one oddball question that caught me off guard, and I think I made that obvious - not sure I ever actually answered it, but it wasn't a big deal. Assuming you can present yourself professionally and elaborate well on your interests and your desire to go into medicine, interviews shouldn't be anything to worry about

As far as stats, 35 mcat, somewhere around a 3.6-.7 gpa for overall and bcpm (don't remember exactly). Volunteered 2-300 hours in a psych hospital w/the OT department, created/taught a free mcat prep group at my university for 2 years, supervised a peer mentoring program at my university for a year. Weak point of my app was probably my amount of shadowing (don't remember exactly how much, but <30 hours for sure). That's what I can recall off hand anyway.

I was an instate applicant, but I went to undergrad out of state.

The ED application experience was fine - I think everyone from my interview group was accepted (and my understanding is the ED acceptance rate is generally quite high). It was also nice to find out by the start of October (I think that was the month) that you were accepted and to just not have that to worry about. I'm not sure what else there is to talk about specific to ED, but if you have a more specific question, I'd maybe be able to answer it better. The interviews were fine overall - professional, but no grilling or anything, just the routine questions you'd expect to get. One interview was a bit awkward, but after talking with other applicants, I think it was mostly the interviewer. Had one oddball question that caught me off guard, and I think I made that obvious - not sure I ever actually answered it, but it wasn't a big deal. Assuming you can present yourself professionally and elaborate well on your interests and your desire to go into medicine, interviews shouldn't be anything to worry about

Awesome, thanks! Your gpa and MCAT are the same as mine, so that makes me pretty happy, but my weak areas are in ECs and volunteering, and that worries me some.

Awesome, thanks! Your gpa and MCAT are the same as mine, so that makes me pretty happy, but my weak areas are in ECs and volunteering, and that worries me some.

Yeah you should worry, you have an MCAT score in the 95% percentile, the mean for the school you're applying to is 80%. You probably won't even pass the first filter. You'd probably be better served applying to a much less selective school like Harvard or Stanford. :rolleyes:

Yeah you should worry, you have an MCAT score in the 95% percentile, the mean for the school you're applying to is 80%. You probably won't even pass the first filter. You'd probably be better served applying to a much less selective school like Harvard or Stanford. :rolleyes:

Hahaha, I realize what you're saying, but I've also heard that LSU looks heavily at volunteering, and I've already been rejected from them once (albeit with a lower MCAT, and I was very late applying that cycle), so I don't feel like my worry is completely unfounded. It's LSU or bust for me, and having my eggs all in one basket is nerve-wracking.

Hahaha, I realize what you're saying, but I've also heard that LSU looks heavily at volunteering, and I've already been rejected from them once (albeit with a lower MCAT, and I was very late applying that cycle), so I don't feel like my worry is completely unfounded. It's LSU or bust for me, and having my eggs all in one basket is nerve-wracking.

I think it's in vogue for med schools to stress how much they like EC's, so we all go run around like chickens with our heads cut off to answer call buttons, bring ice to people, clean up poop, whatever even though most of us have no interest in that nor does it correlate to an interest in medicine. I digress...

But I bet at the end of the day, 9 out of 10 times, I *would guess* what really matters more is selecting people who have the guns and the right set of motivations to finish medical school. An ED reapplicant with a 35 on their MCAT shows at least two things, you're committed to going to school there and you've got the intellectual guns to hack it. I wouldn't worry too much. Congrats on your score, that's the real deal.

I'm also putting all my eggs in one basket, and my MCAT is in a week. Sitting at an average of 33 with a deviation of 0, 2 more practice tests to go. I guess the only thing better than not improving much is not regressing.

Last edited:
I think it's in vogue for med schools to stress how much they like EC's, so we all go run around like chickens with our heads cut off to answer call buttons, bring ice to people, clean up poop, whatever even though most of us have no interest in that nor does it correlate to an interest in medicine. I digress...

But I bet at the end of the day, 9 out of 10 times, I guess what really matters more is selecting people who have the guns and the right set of motivations to finish medical school. An ED reapplicant with a 35 on their MCAT shows at least two things, you're committed to going to school there and you've got the intellectual guns to hack it. I wouldn't worry too much. Congrats on your score, that's the real deal.

I'm also putting all my eggs in one basket, and my MCAT is in a week. Sitting at an average of 33 with a deviation of 0, 2 more practice tests to go. I guess the only thing better than not improving much is not regressing.

Thanks! And good luck to you too. My AAMC FL average was 33 as well. Have you taken 11 yet? For me, 11 was the most accurate predictor, as I got 35 on that and then 35 on the real deal.

For the record, I completely agree with your sentiments on ECs, but that's another thread for another time.

But I bet at the end of the day, 9 out of 10 times, I *would guess* what really matters more is selecting people who have the guns and the right set of motivations to finish medical school. An ED reapplicant with a 35 on their MCAT shows at least two things, you're committed to going to school there and you've got the intellectual guns to hack it. I wouldn't worry too much. Congrats on your score, that's the real deal.

Thanks! And good luck to you too. My AAMC FL average was 33 as well. Have you taken 11 yet? For me, 11 was the most accurate predictor, as I got 35 on that and then 35 on the real deal.

For the record, I completely agree with your sentiments on ECs, but that's another thread for another time.

I agree it's really a topic for another thread, but since it came up.. I volunteered several hundred hours, and I enjoyed all of it (if I didn't enjoy it, I would have stopped doing it and looked into something else). If you look, you can find opportunities to volunteer in ways that are enjoyable/gratifying (and I would highly encourage you to do so, for the obvious reason that you'll actually enjoy it, and for the bonus that you tend to enjoy what you're passionate about, and you'll be able to speak more enthusiastically about what you did in interviews if nothing else). The "game" doesn't necessarily stop when you enter med school. We have a system where certain volunteering activities can earn you credits (assuming you go through the effort of documenting your hours and getting people to sign off on that documentation). Those credits influence AOA applications and your dean's letter. I'm personally a little put off by the system and have chosen to volunteer where I like while abstaining from filling out any of the documentation for my hours.. but that is really a topic for another thread :)

Edit: More to the point of the thread - while I'm not involved with admissions in any way, given that we accepted a student with a 22, I do think we probably look at the whole package. Research I've heard cited before says that 24 is really the key number where there's a sharp change in med school performance above/below. With a 30+, I think you have rapidly diminishing returns as to what will get you admitted (at LSU anyway, schools with much larger applicant pools can arbitrarily assign a high cut off to who they choose to look at)

Edit2: Just to make sure my last statement isn't misunderstood, if you're applying ED with the stats you're mentioning and don't have any significant gaps elsewhere, I think you're in a very good place. Congrats on your MCAT

Last edited:
I agree it's really a topic for another thread, but since it came up.. I volunteered several hundred hours, and I enjoyed all of it (if I didn't enjoy it, I would have stopped doing it and looked into something else). If you look, you can find opportunities to volunteer in ways that are enjoyable/gratifying (and I would highly encourage you to do so, for the obvious reason that you'll actually enjoy it, and for the bonus that you tend to enjoy what you're passionate about, and you'll be able to speak more enthusiastically about what you did in interviews if nothing else). The "game" doesn't necessarily stop when you enter med school. We have a system where certain volunteering activities can earn you credits (assuming you go through the effort of documenting your hours and getting people to sign off on that documentation). Those credits influence AOA applications and your dean's letter. I'm personally a little put off by the system and have chosen to volunteer where I like while abstaining from filling out any of the documentation for my hours.. but that is really a topic for another thread :)

Oh I agree, I've actually found a volunteer opportunity that I really enjoy so I am much more willing to put hours into that than I would be to stock linen carts in a hospital or something. That said, at this time I do not think I would be volunteering if I were not trying to get into medical school. I would probably put that time into working overtime in order to make ends meet. So in that sense, yes, volunteering feels like an obligation at this point.

Last edited:
Oh I agree, I've actually found a volunteer opportunity that I really enjoy so I am much more willing to put hours into that than I would be to stock linen carts in a hospital or something. That said, at this time I do not think I would be volunteering if I were not trying to get into medical school. I would probably put that time into working overtime in order to make ends meet. So in that sense, yes, volunteering feels like an obligation at this point.

No doubt, it's more or less a requirement no matter how you look at it, just wanted to emphasize there are many ways to fulfill that, so it's worthwhile finding an enjoyable position

apply ED, get in in October, chill for the rest of the year without a single worry

best plan ever

Does anybody know if LSU is still accepting 40 out of state students as they did last year?

Does anybody know if LSU is still accepting 40 out of state students as they did last year?

Yes. However, Dr. Eubanks did say that these seats are somewhat biased to those that either live or went to school in the South. This was what he said when he came to my school. He said that they were looking for students who have ties to the area. Not a person from the West Coast who has never even visited.

Yes. However, Dr. Eubanks did say that these seats are somewhat biased to those that either live or went to school in the South. This was what he said when he came to my school. He said that they were looking for students who have ties to the area. Not a person from the West Coast who has never even visited.

To add to this^, I believe they also give preference to applicants that are children of alumni. That is at least the impression I got both when I toured as well as in my interview. There were several out of state students who had specific ties to LSUHSC in my interview group, so Dr. Eubanks talked about how they take that into consideration. I don't know how much weight that has, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. I've also heard (no idea how much truth is behind it though) that they were considering becoming like Shreveport in that they would only accept out of state students who were children of an alum. Again no idea if it's true, or if it is, when that transition would take place.

I am from NW Florida, about 2 hours from NO driving wise. Hopefully that counts as ties to the area.

Good luck to all the applicants. I am a 2012 grad, so I won't be as helpful as current students but will answer any questions I can. It's a great school and experience.