2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the letter and am placed on the alternate list. Does this mean the class is already filled?

Does anyone know how many acceptances have gone out/ how many spots are still available? I just received an interview invite and am super excited!! I just don't want to get my hopes too high if I am basically interviewing for the wait list at this point. Can anyone give a little input? Sorry if this has been answered previously in this thread... Thank you!

According to last year's thread, they were still handing out acceptances until mid-March. I would hedge a bet there are still quite a few spots left, especially considering the AMCAS delays this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone received an II after submitting an update letter/LOI this cycle?

Just received an II!!!! I was on hold for 2 months I think!!! My top choice!! I'm ecstatic!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received an II after submitting an update letter/LOI this cycle?
Yes I just received an II this morning! I sent an update letter a couple of weeks ago (I have been complete since the beginning of Oct.). They are scheduling for end of Feb/first week of March which are the last available interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I just received an II this morning! I sent an update letter a couple of weeks ago (I have been complete since the beginning of Oct.). They are scheduling for end of Feb/first week of March which are the last available interviews.
Congrats! Were you able to see how many total interview days are left then?

Congrats! Were you able to see how many total interview days are left then?
Thanks! No when I called to schedule the interview Ms. Porod told me. I asked if the 10th was available because I have an interview the weekend prior and she said no and that the first week of March were the last days available. Good luck! IIs are still going out!

Via email. I think they had the first week of March only. Can someone confirm?

I chose March 4th. I'm flying in March 2nd to give myself time to explore Chicago!

Thanks! No when I called to schedule the interview Ms. Porod told me. I asked if the 10th was available because I have an interview the weekend prior and she said no and that the first week of March were the last days available. Good luck! IIs are still going out!

Yikes! Their website says they interview until the end of April... I guess they changed things this year?

EDIT :: Unless these are the last days available for the time being, before they add the next wave of dates?

I just noticed that the weekends and weekday interview schedule is different? Mine is on the weekday, what should I expect? If someone can help me understand the schedule agenda for weekdays, I would appreciate it!

I just noticed that the weekends and weekday interview schedule is different? Mine is on the weekday, what should I expect? If someone can help me understand the schedule agenda for weekdays, I would appreciate it!
I interviewed on a weekday. They tell you what time to be there, and you just go to the admissions office and they will give you your exact schedule. The schedule includes two interviews, tour, and lunch. I also had time to sit in on a class for a few minutes, and we watched a few videos about the school, but there is no formal informational session on the weekdays.

I interviewed on a weekday. They tell you what time to be there, and you just go to the admissions office and they will give you your exact schedule. The schedule includes two interviews, tour, and lunch. I also had time to sit in on a class for a few minutes, and we watched a few videos about the school, but there is no formal informational session on the weekdays.

I totally missed out on a chance to sit-in since my first interview was at 9am! What was it like? General impressions? Powerpoints? Did anyone take handwritten notes or all electronic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to sit in on a lecture, as well. I'm not sure if you were able to see the lecture halls or not, but they were very nice. It seemed like almost 90% of the students had a computer in front of them with the slides up (or Facebook...). The first lecturer was pretty standard, but the second guy (Dr. Koller I think?) was pretty entertaining and captivating, even spent a lot of time interacting with the class and calling out people to answer his questions. I thought it'd be kinda fun to have to keep on your toes in class. Both parts of the lecture were presented with powerpoint slides, and every student had them in front of them as well.

Hope that helps...

Anyone know how generous Loyola is with institutional aid (scholarships, grants, lower-interest loans)?

Anyone know how generous Loyola is with institutional aid (scholarships, grants, lower-interest loans)?

Average debt upon graduation = 193k according to MSAR, one of the higher ones I've seen.
Best is at places like harvard, yale, etc with debt around 100k. worst I've seen I think is at around 220k.

Edit: Assuming the matriculants at each school have similar financial situations

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there's wait list movement at Loyola?

I totally missed out on a chance to sit-in since my first interview was at 9am! What was it like? General impressions? Powerpoints? Did anyone take handwritten notes or all electronic?
It was an M2 class pharmacology I think, the professor just went over a PowerPoint presentation so it wasn't anything exciting but the material seemed pretty interesting. Most students has laptops, but I did see a few writing notes by hand.

Yikes! Their website says they interview until the end of April... I guess they changed things this year?

EDIT :: Unless these are the last days available for the time being, before they add the next wave of dates?
Yeah I remember it saying through the end of April too. I'm not sure why I was told the first week in March. The 8th to be exact. Perhaps those are the dates available for the time being like you mentioned. Not sure...

Interview on 3/4. Does anyone recommend any hotels? I am staying for two days before my interview so I am wanted to explore as well.

Interview on 3/4. Does anyone recommend any hotels? I am staying for two days before my interview so I am wanted to explore as well.
I interview on March 3rd! I am also arriving a couple days early (march 1st-my bday!) :) the bf and I are currently searching hotels in the area I can let you know what we find. If anyone has advice on hotels I'd like to know as well!

I interview on March 3rd! I am also arriving a couple days early (march 1st-my bday!) :) the bf and I are currently searching hotels in the area I can let you know what we find. If anyone has advice on hotels I'd like to know as well!

Try the best western plus in hillside. Affordable and free parking. Super close to loyola too.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Hillside - they have a free shuttle service to pick you up from the airport, as well as take you to Loyola in the morning, and even pick up from Loyola to go back to the hotel or straight to the airport. Really great service there!

Id say if you're looking to explore as well, Fairfield Inn Downtown is reasonable for its location and charming. You'll have everything at your doorstep via walking, CTA, or cab. You can cab it to/from Loyola on interview day to ensure timeliness and just use public transit everywhere else.
If you choose to go the CTA route, hit me up! I am CTA master!

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Hillside - they have a free shuttle service to pick you up from the airport, as well as take you to Loyola in the morning, and even pick up from Loyola to go back to the hotel or straight to the airport. Really great service there!
For what it's worth, I stayed here and they weren't willing to pick me up from Loyola and take me to the airport. They said that they would do it when I made the reservation, but they gave me some BS reasons for not being able to do it when I checked out of the hotel in the morning. Kinda turned me off from the place. The ride to Loyola in the morning was definitely nice, though; I just had to take a taxi from Loyola to the airport after my interview.

For what it's worth, I stayed here and they weren't willing to pick me up from Loyola and take me to the airport. They said that they would do it when I made the reservation, but they gave me some BS reasons for not being able to do it when I checked out of the hotel in the morning. Kinda turned me off from the place. The ride to Loyola in the morning was definitely nice, though; I just had to take a taxi from Loyola to the airport after my interview.

Same thing happened to me but the office will call a flat rate taxi for you so you don't get swindled.

Same thing happened to me but the office will call a flat rate taxi for you so you don't get swindled.
Yeah, I ended up using the flat-rate taxi and it worked out just fine. Just annoying that the hotel didn't do what they said they would.

Yeah, I ended up using the flat-rate taxi and it worked out just fine. Just annoying that the hotel didn't do what they said they would.

Can you remember around how much the taxi was? I'm trying to plan out my finances for my upcoming interview and it would be nice to know. Thanks.

Can you remember around how much the taxi was? I'm trying to plan out my finances for my upcoming interview and it would be nice to know. Thanks.
Came out to around $40, if I'm remembering correctly.

I was just on the applicant portal and noticed that it's still giving me the option to upload a photo of myself, even though I'm almost positive I did that back when I got my secondary a few months ago. Anyone else notice this?

I was just on the applicant portal and noticed that it's still giving me the option to upload a photo of myself, even though I'm almost positive I did that back when I got my secondary a few months ago. Anyone else notice this?

Yep, me too. If you go to the "print your application" tab, and scroll all the way down and see a picture, you should be fine...

Yep, me too. If you go to the "print your application" tab, and scroll all the way down and see a picture, you should be fine...

That worked, thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked before (thread is pretty long), but have there been any pre-interview rejections?

Does anyone know what the date for second look day is?

I see online that Cook County is an affiliate hospital. Can anyone comment on how many students rotate there and how common it is?

I received a paper acceptance to Loyola and received the financial aid info the mail, but I just realized that I didn't receive any email and nothing was updated on the applicant web portal. Is this the case for anyone? I think I am going to withdraw, and since I haven't received any electronic notification of my acceptance I wonder if I should call rather than email.

Is Loyola done with II?

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the acceptance call. Interviewed 1/8 for those wondering :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an email about Second Look!! April 11th confirmed, morning-afternoon (no set time/schedule sent yet).

So excited!! Hope to see some of you there. :)

Received ii here. I love Loyola and want to stay in Chicago. I hope my interview goes well.