2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't gotten one either :/

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone's app complete at Loyola?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have received all required information and your file is under review.

does that mean we are complete? I didnt get an email

From looking at last year's thread, I think people took it both ways--you can assume they're a minor, or you can debate it/bring it up and say how it impacts the discussion.

I think I'm going to look at all possibilities, including if the person is NOT a minor and their parents just have a huge impact on their medical decisions (like in certain cultures and religions). Will also talk about ways to proceed if the person *is* a minor.

Ethics is hard! I was wondering if we were to assume that the patient was not conscious. Has anyone tried contacting admissions for clarification? (or would that look bad?)

Ethics is hard! I was wondering if we were to assume that the patient was not conscious. Has anyone tried contacting admissions for clarification? (or would that look bad?)

It would look bad. This question is purposefully ambiguous.

We have received all required information and your file is under review.

does that mean we are complete? I didnt get an email

Yes I believe so. I did not get an email either

It would look bad. This question is purposefully ambiguous.

Sigh. My gut tells me "this is a Jesuit school and they are all about respect for life," but then I think "no man did you see how much emphasis the website is putting on increasing their research reputation?"

I feel like there is no right or wrong answer- they just want to see how well you evaluate/articulate both sides of a controversialish topic.

Sigh. My gut tells me "this is a Jesuit school and they are all about respect for life," but then I think "no man did you see how much emphasis the website is putting on increasing their research reputation?"

I feel like there is no right or wrong answer- they just want to see how well you evaluate/articulate both sides of a controversialish topic.

The school looks more at the Jesuit service for others than anything else. Its a great school and has a wide diverse school body so I wouldnt worry about that. This question is intended to see how you would go about this situation which will happen sooner or later, and your thought process about it.

FYI: I submitted my secondary last week, but checked my status yesterday and it told me that the letters were missing from my file. I knew AMCAS had sent my letters, because I was complete at a few schools last week.

I called the admissions office and they told me that, due to a new program, they had accidentally downloaded my letters twice from AMCAS, so my file got messed up a bit. They were very kind, realized the error, and my file is now marked as complete and under review.

Just thought I'd share in case any one else experiences any issues with their letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: I submitted my secondary last week, but checked my status yesterday and it told me that the letters were missing from my file. I knew AMCAS had sent my letters, because I was complete at a few schools last week.

I called the admissions office and they told me that, due to a new program, they had accidentally downloaded my letters twice from AMCAS, so my file got messed up a bit. They were very kind, realized the error, and my file is now marked as complete and under review.

Just thought I'd share in case any one else experiences any issues with their letters.

Thanks for the update I am currently having the same experience.

The secondaries are invite only so I wouldn't call or email.

it's a pretty indepth screen? i have a 3.97/32 mcat, don't see why i'd be screened based on stats unless they don't like 8 on VR

Yep, just give them a call and they should get it straightened out. Good luck!

So I called them and the person told me that they are working on the problem. I wasn't even able to tell them who I was so I'm not sure if they are going to personally look into my application or not. Did you give them your AMCAS id and name and did admissions straighten this issue out with you over the phone? Or did they tell you that the problem would be resolved for everyone and not to worry about it?

So I called them and the person told me that they are working on the problem. I wasn't even able to tell them who I was so I'm not sure if they are going to personally look into my application or not. Did you give them your AMCAS id and name and did admissions straighten this issue out with you over the phone? Or did they tell you that the problem would be resolved for everyone and not to worry about it?

I gave them my AAMC ID, but it seemed like they were just becoming aware of the error.

If they didn't ask you for your ID, then I think that they must be working on the issue in general now. They may have gotten a lot of phone calls/ emails and stopped asking for ID numbers. I would just continue to check your status, I'm sure they will resolve the issue soon.

I gave them my AAMC ID, but it seemed like they were just becoming aware of the error.

If they didn't ask you for your ID, then I think that they must be working on the issue in general now. They may have gotten a lot of phone calls/ emails and stopped asking for ID numbers. I would just continue to check your status, I'm sure they will resolve the issue soon.

For sure. Thanks for the info.

it's a pretty indepth screen? i have a 3.97/32 mcat, don't see why i'd be screened based on stats unless they don't like 8 on VR
They aren't going to screen you out. I'm applying as well and haven't received a secondary although my friends from last year had lower stats than you and still got secondaries. They may be sending them in batches. AMCAS is still waiting on my letters which may be the hold up. Hard to tell, but just don't call. That would look really bad.

The ethical essay ended up being easier to write than I thought it would be...in fact, I found myself writing that one quickly whereas I'm still struggling to come up with a situation for the personal development essay, ugh.

No way you're getting screened out based on stats. I got my secondary last week and I'm applying with a 3.65/29.
Unless they're humoring me because I went there for undergrad, you'll get it soon.

Just submitted this beast of secondary, woo!! :D

Hoping they'll have fixed their letter issues soon; my committee letter just got processed by AMCAS yesterday so I'm hoping my letter didn't get caught in the mess and that they'll process it soon...

Just to clear the air about screening at Loyola: you need a 2.7 GPA and a 24 MCAT to receive the secondary. Stop panicking people, it's a slow process.

So my application it still delayed due to letters as well. My letters are there though, do you think I should call them or just wait for them to get the problem under control?

Just to clear the air about screening at Loyola: you need a 2.7 GPA and a 24 MCAT to receive the secondary. Stop panicking people, it's a slow process.

They never admit anyone with those stats, but do you or others think they have that minimal requirement just so they can go after your money? :laugh: Seriously think about it. Their minimal mcat score for successful applicants was 28. Would they even bother reading someone's secondary with low stats such as the ones listed for the secondary screening?

So my application it still delayed due to letters as well. My letters are there though, do you think I should call them or just wait for them to get the problem under control?

Can you submit your secondary before they receive your committee letter?

They never admit anyone with those stats, but do you or others think they have that minimal requirement just so they can go after your money? :laugh: Seriously think about it. Their minimal mcat score for successful applicants was 28. Would they even bother reading someone's secondary with low stats such as the ones listed for the secondary screening?

No, 28 was 10th percentile. That just means that the bottom 10% of the incoming class had less than a 28. Or, if it is a true floor for MCAT, then tere were so many data points for 28 that the 10th percentile was 28.

That being said, I think extreme circumstances must exist (like chemotherapy during undergrad for a 2.7 but an amazing MCAT like 38)

anyone not write a whole lot for the essay on the hypothetical experimental treatment?

it feels more like a question than an essay to me. i wrote 9 lines and feel like it's fine.

Can you submit your secondary before they receive your committee letter?

I submitted my secondary on 07/05 and have had this message since then
"We have received your secondary application, however, we are missing the necessary letter(s) to complete your file. For further information, please contact our office at [email protected] or 708-216-3229. Thank you."

My letters were added to AMCAS on 7/8... so I don't know whats up. However I highly doubt theyre going to review it without the letters.

"We have received your secondary application, however, we are missing the necessary letter(s) to complete your file. For further information, please contact our office at [email protected] or 708-216-3229. Thank you."

My letters were added to AMCAS on 7/8... so I don't know whats up. However I highly doubt theyre going to review it without the letters.

+1 (7/9 amcas letter processing for me). Other schools have listed my letters as received so I think I'll call on Monday and see what's up if things are still not marked as received.

+1 (7/9 amcas letter processing for me). Other schools have listed my letters as received so I think I'll call on Monday and see what's up if things are still not marked as received.

I just sent them an email asking, i'll let you know if they respond before Monday. If not can you let me know what they tell you?

I just sent them an email asking, i'll let you know if they respond before Monday. If not can you let me know what they tell you?

Will do!

It's going to be an hour of phone calls for me; I plan on calling all the schools where my secondary has been submitted but letters still haven't been marked as received yet (6)--four schools have my letters listed as received so I know they're accessible...

Dang it, my college is really slow in sending committee letters. Amcas still doesnt have my lors. Can anyone confirm if they really wait until receiving all LORs to look over your secondary?

Dang it, my college is really slow in sending committee letters. Amcas still doesnt have my lors. Can anyone confirm if they really wait until receiving all LORs to look over your secondary?

I'm pretty sure all schools wait until your file is complete, LORs included, to review your secondary app.

When did you ask your school to send the letters? Is there any way to call them and kindly remind them to sent them to AMCAS as soon as possible?

I'm pretty sure all schools wait until your file is complete, LORs included, to review your secondary app.

When did you ask your school to send the letters? Is there any way to call them and kindly remind them to sent them to AMCAS as soon as possible?

Yea, I guess I'll give them a call this week. They said they'll have it in by the first week of July. Dont know what is going on.

Guys, any one know how strict the 25 line limit is on the secondary essays? I know it is listed as a "recommended" limit, but do you guys think like 27-30 lines would be awful or be considered by the admissions committee as not following directions?

My essays seem to be each be 26-29 lines, and I feel cutting them shorter is taking away from context. Anyone care to comment? Maybe those who interviewed last year, etc?

Guys, any one know how strict the 25 line limit is on the secondary essays? I know it is listed as a "recommended" limit, but do you guys think like 27-30 lines would be awful or be considered by the admissions committee as not following directions?

My essays seem to be each be 26-29 lines, and I feel cutting them shorter is taking away from context. Anyone care to comment? Maybe those who interviewed last year, etc?

Play word games to try and make them more concise? I only had ONE essay that went over 25 lines, and it was 27 lines.

After previewing my app, I gave up on trying to follow that rule. My essays were all 25 lines or less when I pasted them into the boxes provided (as well as while they were in Word), but Loyola's huge margins in the preview window changed all my essays to 27-30 lines.

Anyway, I doubt they'll count how many lines your essays are unless the essays are clearly *way* over 25 lines; the 25 line rule seems more like a guideline than anything.

(Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm a fellow '13-14 applicant.)

Is everyone's photo really 2'' x 2'' as per the Supplemental Instructions? This seems abnormally small, especially when the photo page says "medium head shot" and "less than 2mb."

Is everyone's photo really 2'' x 2'' as per the Supplemental Instructions? This seems abnormally small, especially when the photo page says "medium head shot" and "less than 2mb."

Mine was approximately 245 pixels by 333 pixels, which is basically ~ 2x3 inches; my picture was accepted by the uploader and resized appropriately.

It's really not as small as you think; mine was wallet-sized and under 2MB. (Then again, I live in Photoshop, so perhaps my definition of small is different...)

Okay I heard back from them today, this is what they emailed me!

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We implemented a new system this year and we are still working out some of the kinks. All of your letters have been received and your file will be looked at for review."

woot woot!

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We implemented a new system this year and we are still working out some of the kinks. All of your letters have been received and your file will be looked at for review."

woot woot!

Awesome! I have not yet checked to see if my status was changed today, but do you think I should call if they're still not marked as received?

woot woot!

Called them after all today; the lady I talked to said the same thing--and said that my LOR had been received actually so she would change my status to complete.

My status hasn't been changed yet (just checked again now), but I figure they'll fix it soon. If not, I'll call again/email them at the end of this week.

i still haven't received a secondary. should i call/email?
I called them today. They apparently had emailed me earlier but never went through to my email :/. So I would try to give them a call, especially if your stats are reasonable.

My letters are marked as received, but it still says "we are missing the necessary letters" at the top... I am confused.

My letters are marked as received, but it still says "we are missing the necessary letters" at the top... I am confused.

Same for me.

See this:

woot woot!

And I called them myself today; sounds like they are still working on LOR problems. They said my letters were all received (despite the portal saying my file was not complete yet) and that they would change my status to complete (they haven't yet, but I figure they will soon).

If you're still worried, try calling--it was easy enough to get a hold of someone who could look at my file and see that my letters were all received.