2013-2014 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get their letter yet? West Coast here and nothing yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone get their letter yet? West Coast here and nothing yet.
Nope :( West Coast here too. The more I think about it the more I can't understand what went wrong... I thought the interviews went very well... conversations were good and both interviewers had great things to say at the end. Perhaps all of the interviews are like that? This is frustrating :/​

I wouldn't worry just yet--I live within 30 miles of Loyola and I didn't get my acceptance letter until almost 2 weeks after the day they did the acceptance calls...this was back in November, but I doubt that changes much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance from Loyola today. Hope my spot goes to one of you on the alternate list!

Hey guys!

So for any of you going to second look day, just wanted to ask if there was a dress code? Don't really know how casual it is or whether we have to dress up

Hey guys!

So for any of you going to second look day, just wanted to ask if there was a dress code? Don't really know how casual it is or whether we have to dress up
I believe the invite says business casual.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the invite says business casual.

I didn't see this in the e-invite I got? But thanks for the info! :)
Also in case anyone was curious or might be arriving late to second look day like I am, I asked what the morning schedule is and admissions told me 9:30 am is check in, 10:00 am is welcome/introduction, and then 10:30 is when the actual events start.

I didn't see this in the e-invite I got? But thanks for the info! :)
Also in case anyone was curious or might be arriving late to second look day like I am, I asked what the morning schedule is and admissions told me 9:30 am is check in, 10:00 am is welcome/introduction, and then 10:30 is when the actual events start.
My apologies for any confusion... Once you click "Yes, I will be attending" then click on the "Information" link (http://www.stritch.luc.edu/second-visit). It says "*Dress attire for this event is business casual.*"

Does anyone have the match list?

No, but I found this news brief to give some quick stats:
-59% staying in the Midwest
-36% staying in Illinois
-16% staying at Loyola
-34% primary care (note: I read somewhere they don't include OB/GYN in this %)/66% specialties
-top specialty: EM, at 15%

No, but I found this news brief to give some quick stats:
-59% staying in the Midwest
-36% staying in Illinois
-16% staying at Loyola
-34% primary care (note: I read somewhere they don't include OB/GYN in this %)/66% specialties
-top specialty: EM, at 15%
I thought I saw/heard during my tour that the 34% got bumped to ~45% last cycle. I might be imagining this.

EDIT: It was the 2013 match that had 48% primary care. http://www.meddean.luc.edu/sites/default/files/site_hsd_ssom/uploads/ssommatchstats2013.pdf

Last edited:
Ok guys I received my letter of acceptance yesterday (Monday March 24th). I wasn't home but my mom read it to me over the phone.
I live in South Texas (along the US-Mex) border.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

From what I understand it's borderline business casual but not dress-up. I'm going to probably wear a nice Polo shirt with some khakis and comfortable shoes. I'm sure they don't want you to come in basketball shorts lol, but at the same time understand this won't be as intense as interview day either.

So bummed that I won't be able to make it to second look day. Can someone please fill me in on the information? Especially any financial aid information? Thank you!

Hi! So for all of you attending second look day, I'm really excited to meet you there. I just wanted to ask about the location? I unfortunately can't find the email and I know it's at 9:30 a.m. But I was wondering if it was in the same place that interviews were held?

Thanks so much

Hi! So for all of you attending second look day, I'm really excited to meet you there. I just wanted to ask about the location? I unfortunately can't find the email and I know it's at 9:30 a.m. But I was wondering if it was in the same place that interviews were held?

Thanks so much

Here's a copy of the email text:
The Office of Medical School Admissions cordially invites you and three guests to join us at our SecondVisit event.

Friday, April 11, 2014
9:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Loyola University Chicago
Stritch School of Medicine
Health Sciences Campus
2160 S. First Avenue
Maywood, IL 60153

Second Visit is a day to learn more about the curriculum, explore the campus, and hear about opportunities available as you begin your medical education with us. You will also have a chance to meet your future classmates, current students, deans, administrators, and staff.

We hope to see you in April!

--
On the invite site they don't specify location beyond this, but the "Health Sciences Campus" is the same place/building where your interview was. I'm sure they'll direct us from there at the security desk. If people are driving you'll park in the same deck as before to, it'll be $5.

Hey all,

I am excited to attend Loyola in the fall! I won't be able to make it to 2nd look, hope some of you can takes notes or video for us :)

Did anyone get an email confirmation or update after sending their seat acceptance paper? Also, are there any need-based scholarships or grants I can apply? I didn't find anything online.

I am starting to look at certain housing options and wanted to see what you all thought? Where are you all staying?

Thank you!

When do fin aid packages come out?

When do fin aid packages come out?

Last year, they came out a week or two after Second Look. You do not need to do anything to be considered for all forms of aid (Need based or Academic Scholarship), other than the FAFSA of course and the school based form which you probably submitted already.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on Friday!

***sorry for the non use of the multi quote fxn, I'm on my phone.

Officially withdrew my acceptance last week. I hope one of you awesome applicants on the wait-list can get my spot!

Got a merit-based scholarship today. Dean's scholarship!! Definitely an honor.

Hey all,

How was 2nd look? What would be an ideal place to live for someone without a car? Also, can someone link me the schedule for loyola stritch. Are there any scholarships available? Thank you!

Hey all,

How was 2nd look? What would be an ideal place to live for someone without a car? Also, can someone link me the schedule for loyola stritch. Are there any scholarships available? Thank you!

Unfortunately, you will really need a car at Stritch. You can get by without one your M1 and M2 year but it's not easy- you have to rely on pace buses and the el. There aren't really places to live that are walking distance from Stritch. You definitely need a car for 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations.

That being said, forest park is the closest suburb right next door to Maywood where people tend to live. The 308 pace bus stops at the forest park el blue line station and you can get to loyola that way. Alternatively, if you live downtown, you can take the blue line to forest park and then the 308 bus to stritch (probably about an hour commute from the loop downtown).

A majority of first and second year students live in forest park or oak park (which tends to be a 10min-30min driving commute door to door). More and more people move downtown M3 and M4 year.

Loyola offers both merit scholarships and need based scholarships.

You can see the courses offered here: http://stritch.luc.edu/students

Hope this helps!

Congrats! What was the amount, if i may ask? Does the dean's scholarship vary in financial aid given?

I was awarded $7,500/yr dean's scholarship for four years via phone call (of course, I'll have to maintain the grades to continue receiving it). I do not know if the dean's scholarship varies in financial aid given.

Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you!

Hey guys!

So I was just wondering if anyone had received anything else from the school after revisit day? I was just curious since I know a lot of my friends had to send in deposits to hold their spot and also got some medical forms they had to fill out, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Just got the email notification for financial aid, got offered a good chunk of scholar award and the rest is all loans. So excited to attend here in the fall!

Reactions: 3 users
Got my award. No scholarships. I'd have to take out GradPlus to cover the rest. This might be making my decision for me.

Just got the email notification for financial aid, got offered a good chunk of scholar award and the rest is all loans. So excited to attend here in the fall!
Also got a generous scholarship! Really feeling the love--can't wait!

Don't know if this has been asked before?.....but does anybody know when they will be holding the white coat ceremony?

Hey all,

Can someone remind me when our orientation starts? Not sure when I should move in. Also, when is our white coat ceremony.

Hey all,

Can someone remind me when our orientation starts? Not sure when I should move in. Also, when is our white coat ceremony.

Hi all, I think this has been asked once before, so here's the link to the 2014-2015 academic calendar (first year): http://www.stritch.luc.edu/academic-calendar-1st-future
To answer your questions, orientation is the last week of July, July 28-Aug 1. Classes start the following Monday, Aug 4th.
The White Coat Ceremony is typically held during family weekend, so your loved ones can see you looking all doctor-like, Aug 22nd-ish.
Im sure these dates are tentative, and Im assuming we'll get more detail after May 15th and as time goes on...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Withdrawing, hope my need-based aid goes to one of you guys.

It's been a nice six months of dating, Stritch.

So where is everyone getting an apartment? I wasn't able to attend second look. I'm a bit worried that most places will be taken soon.

So where is everyone getting an apartment? I wasn't able to attend second look. I'm a bit worried that most places will be taken soon.
Have you joined the fb group? It seems like M3s and M4s have put up valuable links and info about housing. Also, a bunch of incoming M1s are also looking for housing on there too, so it may be a good place to start :)

My roommate and I have been looking since second look; there's a good number of places still available and even better ones coming out now that July 1st leases are getting closer.

Forest Park & Oak Park have quite a few places--Forest Park is cheaper, but there a lot more available in Oak Park and its location is more desirable.

Some of the towns south to Loyola also work, although there are more houses available than apartments (see: Brookfield, La Grange, North Riverside).

Hey all, just received my financial aid award. Did tuition increase from last year? I have a loan for 53k. Is this accurate?

Hey all, just received my financial aid award. Did tuition increase from last year? I have a loan for 53k. Is this accurate?

There's a link at the bottom of the award page to Stritch's estimated budget--on it, you'll see that tuition did increase (to ~52k I think). I'm sure tuition will likely increase every year, too--it's a private university and they don't lock rates. You don't have to take out the full amount of loans they budget for you, however--if you look at the sheet, they budget for a max cost of attendance of ~78k (I think) and that includes things you might not need (health insurance, if you're still covered under your parents' plan; they estimate living expenses and if you find a cheap place you may not need that much, etc).

I would talk to one of the financial aid people at Stritch; they're very nice and can answer all your questions. :)

Any ideas on what waitlist movement here is like?

Are there any current students on here?

I wanted to ask a few questions:

1. How are research opportunities while at stritch? What about extracurricular activities? I would love to be part of a student run health clinic working with the underserved right away.

2. How do you all like the grading system? Any studying advice for first years?

3. How have you liked living in Chicago? How's the social activity at school and off? Any tips for someone from CA? Lol.

I appreciate the help! For now that's all the questions I have. Thanks.

Are there any current students on here?

I wanted to ask a few questions:

1. How are research opportunities while at stritch? What about extracurricular activities? I would love to be part of a student run health clinic working with the underserved right away.

2. How do you all like the grading system? Any studying advice for first years?

3. How have you liked living in Chicago? How's the social activity at school and off? Any tips for someone from CA? Lol.

I appreciate the help! For now that's all the questions I have. Thanks.

1. Tons of Research opportunities in all departments. Clinical and Basic Science. We also have a formal paid one for summer after M1 if you are so inclined. Some students choose to go abroad (Haiti, Belize, Bolivia I think and def anywhere else you want to self-arrange/have contacts). This is also a formal summer program.

Tons of EC activities, clubs, Specialty Interest Groups, volunteer opportunities. And you can even start a group if you can't find what you are looking for. There are 2 student run underserved health clinics that I know of. In both, you get to work with Attendings and can start right away to practice the Clinical Skills (H&P), mostly History taking skills that you will start learning within your first couple of weeks here.

2. The grading system will reward you with Honors for hard work. But you can just Pass if you want, and keep it moving. Granted Passing still requires a ton of work. You can figure out what you want to do when you get here. You will know pretty quickly where you stand and if you are willing to put in what it takes for Honors. There's def no stress or pressure as there are no curves. Usually 90+ is Honors, 80/85+ High Pass, 70 Pass. There will be tons and tons of help and sharing of resources from classmates, upperclassmen, faculty, excellent free tutors, you name it. Studying advice: study hard, know everything, ask for help, get a tutor/go see faculty if you need one on one help, and be ready to try different methods. You will be rewarded with good grades if you put in the effort. And don't buy any books before you get here! There's an Annual Used Book Sale with Upperclassmen getting rid of stuff, we have the ACE center with tons of free relevant books to borrow (for up to 4 years!), and you'll prob get random books for free too. And you may not even have time to read text books since there are extremely detailed notes, powerpoints and handouts written by faculty for almost every class from which they will make up their exam questions.

3. Chicago is an excellent city to live near for med school. You can get a complete break from school, go and have fun, come back and hit the books again. I'll admit I haven't done as much as I would like but hey that's what summers are for:D

There's also a lot to do closer to school if you are into bars (Forest Park) and tons of great restaurants (Oak Park). Also lots of camaraderie within the class---there's always someone looking for people to go do something with.

Not from CA but the CA students I know are happy, highly involved and fun:)

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm hoping a current student can offer some advice, but I will gladly take it from anyone here. I am currently on the alternate list, which is a shame because Loyola is my top choice and I felt like I connected really well with my interviewers. Because I got such a great vibe from the school, I sent a letter of intent immediately following my interview in late February. Does anyone think sending a 2nd letter of interest/intent would be worth it as May 15th approaches? On the one hand, I have heard that Loyola loves students who show enthusiasm and sincere interest in the school. On the other hand, I've seen a few adcoms comment on SDN how LOIs are pretty useless unless you have something significant to update your application with.