2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

There is no actual secondary for Mayo, only a $100 fee. Below is a timeline of what it's like to apply. Remember, this is just one example but I think it will give you a good idea of what to expect for those of you who aren't superstars that get in on October 15th. :p

Primary Verified: 8/21
Fee Request: 8/22 ($100 dollars)
Fee Paid: 8/24
Fee 'Received': 8/27
Request for LOR: 8/29
LOR Received: 9/10
Interview Invite: 11/10
Interview: 12/7 (I had a few options in December)
Admission Committee Review: 12/10
Placed on Hold: 1/31
Alternate Status Offer: 2/8
Accepted: 5/22

As you can see, it may not be quite as simple as, secondary > interview > accept.

:luck:

EDIT: Of course, this assumes they use the same timeline/format as this most recent application cycle. If I recall, the final interview date was mid-December but I remember hearing they added at least one interview date in January. I'll have to double check that.

Last edited:
Congrats! I can only hope I fit their criteria. Guess we'll see in a few short weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So should we just not assign any letters to Mayo unless we hear back from them?

I submitted my letters to Mayo before asking and I would recommend everyone else does the same. If you do this, then when you get the letter request, they will be able to instantly access your letters and you won't have to actually do anything at the time.

Somewhat odd question, but does Mayo limit the number of times you can apply? I know UWashington has a limit of 3 times someone can apply before they are no longer considered, but haven't been able to find this info for Mayo.

There is no actual secondary for Mayo, only a $100 fee. Below is a timeline of what it's like to apply. Remember, this is just one example but I think it will give you a good idea of what to expect for those of you who aren't superstars that get in on October 15th. :p

Primary Verified: 8/21
Fee Request: 8/22 ($100 dollars)
Fee Paid: 8/24
Fee 'Received': 8/27
Request for LOR: 8/29
LOR Received: 9/10
Interview Invite: 11/10
Interview: 12/7 (I had a few options in December)
Admission Committee Review: 12/10
Placed on Hold: 1/31
Alternate Status Offer: 2/8
Accepted: 5/22

As you can see, it may not be quite as simple as, secondary > interview > accept.

:luck:

EDIT: Of course, this assumes they use the same timeline/format as this most recent application cycle. If I recall, the final interview date was mid-December but I remember hearing they added at least one interview date in January. I'll have to double check that.

Mind sharing your stats? Tips on getting accepted??

Hey everyone, just wanted to check in here. I'll be attending Mayo Medical School as an MS1 this upcoming year and wanted to wish you all good luck on this application cycle. Mayo definitely had the most exciting interview and I was blown away by how amazing this institution is, the abundance of resources, and the unmatched level of friendliness of everyone I met here. I know there are a few seasoned students following this thread, so feel free to ask any questions related to how you can better prepare yourself in this application process to Mayo.

Also, I wanted to insert some helpful information here that was compiled from other threads in years past so that you can have a better prepare yourself (and get excited!!) with applying here. I take no credit for this information as I'm just transferring it from last year to here for easier access and before this thread becomes too large.

-------

Quoted from: forsparta

Compilation of information from last year's Mayo thread. I do not state I wrote any of this (main authors: Snuke, Nerday Shortay, Icanhazcheeseburger [sp], Wisco1, ect.) and do not guarantee accuracy of any statements. The views expressed are not in association with the Mayo Medical School (MMS) and can not be used as factual evidence.

However, I believe it is useful :)

Mayo does not have a secondary, unless they change from past years. You send in your primary, Mayo reviews it, and determines whether to request LOR's from you. Once they have requested your LOR's and you send them, you are reviewed again for an interview spot.

I'll leave the other questions about the small class size, Rochester, etc., for current students who would be more qualified to answer. I will say that from what I've learned through the interview process and second look weekend that Mayo is as awesome as it sounds on paper. Financial aid is great, opportunities are unlimited practically, curriculum is great with integrated "off" time between course blocks....could go on and on.
I'm not sure about a pre-sceen, but I do know that Mayo looks at MUCH more than MCAT and GPA. The second of half of your post is not exactly accurate. Everyone who applies gets a request for money, but this means nothing about your chances of interview. Once they receive your money, they begin to review your application (primarily activities) in deciding whether to request letters from you (you should not automatically send letters to them when you pay). Here's some numbers that have been posted in previous years' threads:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)

personal statement is not read until after LORs are received.

42 MD-only spots available.
There's a minimum screen (LizzyM score of 60 = GPA * 10 + MCAT) to get the application looked at by Mayo. I assume that if you get the LOR request, you've passed that screen.
M1 schedule consists of morning lecture/lab from 8AM-noon. Then we have "Basic Doctoring" (physical exam skills and history taking, etc) 1-2 days per week in the afternoons from 1-5. The majority of the afternoons are free.

M2 year is reversed with daily lecture/lab in the afternoons.
Over the course of the first two calendar years, you have a total of 30 weeks of time alotted for selective. 18 of those weeks have to be spent doing a selective (=20 hours/wk of professional enrichment) and 12 of them are "free time". You can go home and do a shadowing experience if you want. Do your 20 hours of shadowing in the week and the rest of the time you can spend with family or do whatever you want.

I have only been in Rochester for a month now but I am not worried about it. Everyone here is very close knit and we hang out alot together. There is plenty to do in Rochester, and if you get bored, the Twin Cities are less than 90 minutes away.

We haven't really talked much about FL/AZ rotations yet, but from what I have heard you are able to do all of your rotations away if you choose, but that it is not a wise idea. The recommendation is to do the rotation in specialties that you're interested in in Rochester because that's where the "best experience" is. Do the ones that are less important to you away from Rochester. Many students, for example, will choose to do surgery rotation away if they don't have interest in surgery.
Oh man, where to start. Really, I just had an amazing incredible experience.

The interview day is long, but it seriously feels short. Everyone is incredibly nice, from admin people to MDs to students to random people on the street. All the students are blissfully happy (not just my hosts or the people running the tours. I think we met almost half the class, and not a single one - when pressed - could think of a major shortcoming to the school), and many of them turned down big names to go to Mayo. Amongst them: Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, Wash U.

The interview day starts in the student center/admissions office. It's a small building across from the Gonda, rather out of place with the rest of the Mayo buildings because it's a renovated library. Very handsome inside, too. Gina is incredibly nice, and she did the orientation, which was largely the same video posted earlier and on the website. Then we met with the assistant dean of Academic and Student Affairs, then the Director of the Office of Diversity. Each of the talks were pretty short, which was nice. Then half of us had a 30 minute interview, the other half 30 minutes of down-time, then we switched. The ice was pretty much broken already because we'd met with our student hosts the night before to have dinner (and some of us helped the Birthday Baking Committee bake cupcakes!).

Then we had a tour of the Medical School. The Plummer building (library) is gorgeous, and we traipsed through the pedestrian subway, which is also very nice, and visited a few floors of the Gonda building. The Gonda building/Mayo Clinic is really quite majestic on the inside - marble and comfortable chairs everywhere, and someone was usually playing the grand piano. The peds floor is amazing - almost makes me want to be a pediatrician - and is designed for kids and to be very kid-friendly with curves and colors and low furniture everywhere.

Then lunch, then another interview/break, in which a few of us walked to the gym (which is a-MAZING and humongous) and had a tour (you get free membership your first two years). Then it was a short meeting with The Associate dean of Academic Affairs and a Dr. on the Admissions Committee chair.

Overall, in every possible aspect, it was incredible. Like I said, everyone is blissfully happy. One of my student hosts compared Mayo to a utopia, and it truly is of a kind. They make their own little world here, and they run it immaculately. Everything is literally for the patient.

And that's the key. Mayo-wear (what they call professional suit attire for when with patients) is to reduce the boundaries between patient and doctor. Everything is set up to make the patient more comfortable/for the patient's benefit.

The class size is, well, intimate. Everyone knows everyone and everyone's business, so if you aren't comfortable with that, that could be a problem. The small size, however, allows for opportunities that you can't have otherwise. In gross anatomy, they have a radiologist (because they CT the cadavers first), two surgeons expert in the field of whatever you're dissecting, and enough TAs to cover the rest of the tables. If you want to shadow someone, all you do is email them and set it up. There are a few set selectives, but people make up their own based on their interests, or if they want to travel somewhere, they do the hours of serving the underserved the first week and enjoy themselves the second week.

Some advice: Yes, Rochester really is small. Downtown takes up about a street. You're going to have to either get over it or don't interview. Really, it's small, and it takes about 90 minutes to get there from Minneapolis.

While the weather was great when I was here, it does get to -40 F.

When people are talking to you, pay attention. I had the Director of Diversity for my first interview, and I was able to use some of his key words and points as we talked.

The interviews are really really low stress. The only stress is what you put on yourself. Both of my interviews started with 'tell me about yourself,' and you get to pretty much direct it from there. They are anticipating 4000 applications for the 42 MD spots. They will give out 1200-1300 LOR, 250-280+ interviews, and 60-70 acceptances.

The last interview day is December 12th, and the first day they will look at interviewers and rank them is September 20th.
Gina said it would be more like just over 280 interviews this year. The 250-270 is a general amount the past few years, but this one will be a bit more.

We had no indication until we walked into the room and found our name cards with a Mayo folder that contained our itinerary for the day (along with some lovely resources).

I had one good interviewer, and one amazing, but pretty much everyone was very happy with who interviewed them. From what Gina was saying, some people fight to be scheduled to do interviews - especially the Director of Diversity, even though he has so much to do anyway, apparently.

And really, I just had this experience as I was eating out with my hosts - their friends would come up, see that we were prospectives, and the first thing out of their mouth was, 'you know, they treat us so well here.' It's delightfully amazing. Mayo will only send LOR requests if you move on to that step. That you have not received that email means only that: you have not moved on. If your primary is verified and your LORs sent out on the 30th, you have several weeks before you start to worry about if you're rejected, and even then - I know LeoGer waited 7 weeks between LOR request and interview.

Earlier, about 2-3 weeks was normal between fee request and LOR request. Now, later in the season, it might take even longer, as they have just started interviewing.

So yes, you will get a LOR request if Mayo wants to see them. Until they send that email, they're just looking at your stats and ECs, not even your PS. Some are emergency medicine, pediatrics, medical clowning, two medical mission trips to Honduras, LGBT/HIV medicine in South Beach, Florida, psychiatry, research (x2), music therapy (upcoming), infectious disease. Mine are mostly medical, but the music therapy one is self-designed and mainly aimed at improving my repertoire/technique on the ukulele (no joke). I do play music every week in the main lobby at Mayo, but the school has nothing to do with this and it isn't technically medical in any way. I know other students have done writing selectives, volunteering selectives (not necessarily with medical organizations). You just have to explain what the selective will do for your career - bettering yourself as a person, even in non-medical ways, will ultimately make you a better doctor. They know that.

Mayo ranks each person following their interviews, then sends an email informing each applicant that they've been ranked. You don't know what rank you are (1-5, 1 being best), but I'm not sure how stringently they follow it, since they can pull a 2 in front of a 1 from the waitlist (leading people to believe that Mayo is comprising its class of people with certain characteristics, i.e. # athletes, # muscians, etc.)

To share an I love Mayo moment with you: I spent yesterday afternoon working with a professional actor on improv comedy skills...the idea being that extremely active listening (as is necessary for improv and scene handoffs) leads to a more successful first 20-30 seconds of entering a patient room. Several of my classmates are camping tonight to prep for a mass-casualty wilderness survival experience, another is delivering babies in rural Arizona, and one is on his way to a wedding this weekend. And, if it all works out, we'll come together next Monday to play another kickball game. What an absolutely fantastic way to study medicine...if you are going to learn 46,000 new words and phrases during the first two years of school you might as well have some fun along the way! oday during pediatric selective:

- Wake up, have coffee until 805am(others in the class doing this selective are out shadowing today in anything from gen peds to peds derm/ED/surg/etc.
- Meet Senior Sage (longitudinal geriatrics program) mentor for breakfast, interview and writeup afterwards--unrelated to selective but i had the morning free
- Lunch with peds residency director
- Neonatal resuscitation and umbilical line placement lab in simulator center from 1300-1530

...selective schedules vary widely though...so a more typical class day:

1st year:
8-12 a.m. is lecture/lab/group time. Some days we're out earlier.
12-1: Lunch/Free...usually time for interest group meetings, mentor meetings, attending grand rounds, interviewee lunches, etc.
1-5: Occasional afternoon activities (doctoring coursework, longitudinal development curriculum, volunteer programs, history taking skills, etc.)---on average over the year probably 2-3 afternoons a week have afternoons booked.

2nd year: essentially the reverse of above

3rd and 4th year: as with any medical school, mostly dedicated to time out on the wards so you could have days that are 24-36 hours long and others that are a basic outpatient clinic. Highly variable. Maybe. You might make it into the first ranking meeting after your interview, but if both of your interviewers are not present, you will not be discussed and you will not be ranked. This happened to me.

In addition, there might be a separate acceptance committee that meets at a different time than the ranking (like if they rank on Friday but accept on Thursday). Or they rank and accept at the same one. I have no clue about that, but it's a possibility.

Bottom line: you must be ranked before you can get a decision, and there's no telling when that will happen, could be a week, could be more. If you interview on the 7th, you'll definitely hear something before the end of the month, but it is possible that you'll miss the initial acceptances/decisions on the 17th. There's no way to tell at this point.

-----

And here's a post from a Mayo graduate who is now a resident. Quoted from wannadoctor

This is from the perspective of someone who attended Mayo Medical School and is now a resident at one of the residency programs often cited as "the big 4 (UCSF/MGH/BWH/JHU)" on these boards.

Reasons why Mayo is fantastic for medical school:
1) Tuition: The most you could pay for tuition was approximately $8,000 a year (many people received full rides). There were two years when they emailed the medical school and informed us everyone would be receiving a full scholarship. Average debt approximately $60,000.
- Once you're a resident and realize how much interest accumulates on even the "average medical student debt of a $160,000," you appreciate this even more. Many of my colleagues are making career decisions based on finances.

2) Selectives: Mayo's first two years are structured such that you have a "block" of 6 weeks where you focus on a topic (i.e. in second year cardiovascular system, GI system), and then have two weeks for "selectives" You receive a $5,000 travel budget to use during selecties.
- This was amazing. It made medical school so painless. Essentially, you work hard for six weeks and then have 2 weeks of selective to do research casually, travel and work abroad. Selectives can be as structured as you want them to be. But honestly, they're essentially a break for you to do what you love, enhance your resume, or just rest.
- The majority of students had done clinical work (and sometimes non-clinical) in at least 1-2 countries courtesy of this by the end of second year (work in Haiti, Uganda, South Africa, Kenya, India etc...).

3) Teaching: I honestly think this is what really makes Mayo unique. The classes are extremely clinically oriented. There are no PhD's or MD/PhD research gurus who come in and lecture you on the nuances of their research. Our faculty goes through a huge screening process as many clinicians at Mayo want to be involved in education. Evaluations of faculty are used to screen out "bad apples." Thus, you end up with professors who are teaching because they want to, love to, and excel at it. In addition to this, the faculty that teach various blocks discuss and integrate their curriculum. This avoids redundancy and minutia from being taught.
- The medical students who I work with now (from a "top 5 medical school") often comment on how frustrating it is to have "famous research faculty" come in and lecture for an hour about something not relevant. At the end of the day, I believe the reason Mayo is NOT like this is because 1) The institution as a whole is clinically oriented (and clinical research oriented) and not as basic science oriented as top NE places (which can be a con depending on what you want to do).

4) Research: Whether it be clinical or basic science (though basic science not as strong), it is easy to do research. Mayo DOES have a 3 month research requirement built into third year (which is an AMAZING break). The year I graduated, out of the approximately 40 of us, >than half had more than 2 published papers (not counting abstracts, presentations etc..). There were a few of us that had published >10 papers by the end of medical school, and most in respected, high impact journals. At the end of the day, because there are so few Mayo medical students and Mayo provides incentives for faculty to publish papers with medical students (faster track to professorship), research and publishing is very accessible.

4) The system at Mayo is amazing. It's seamless. It is truly cost effective, efficient, and patient-oriented. You REALLY appreciate this as a 3rd year, 4th year, but most importantly as a patient. While I LOVE the institution that I currently am at for completely different reasons (again a "big 4" residency), I remember being dumbfounded my intern year by how inefficient, slow, and difficult the system at this "top hospital" was... more importantly, how these inefficiencies often led to patient errors.

5) Other random perks: Can do an MD/JD at ASU in 2 years. Mayo will pay for it, you don't have to take the LSAT. Mayo will also give you $10,000 if you pursue another degree (MPH etc...) at any other institution (people have left to do MBA's, MPH's, Master's at Oxford/Cambridge, Master's in fashion design, Master's in Journalism). At the end of a six week block, faculty will take you out or invite the class over to their place for dinners/drinks. The student body is MUCH MORE diverse in terms of where Mayo pulls students from (i.e. it is not IVY league undergrad heavy).

CONS:
1) ROCHESTER: This is a HUGE con. After applying to medical schools, I ended up narrowing down my choice of schools to Mayo vs. UCLA vs. Harvard vs. U of Chicago. All three other programs were in superior cities. While I loved my classmates at Mayo, and that made it fun, being in chicago/boston/LA would have been amazing. The truth is who you're with can make or break the experience. Mayo tends to pick a really interesting and fantastic group of people, but at the end of the day, you're in a city with limited bar/restaurant options. It also gets REALLY cold in the winter. Rochester sucks, but your classmates can make it fun. At the end of the day, I had no regrets as I came out of Mayo with no debt, really happy with my education, and when it came down to residency applications, received numerous "ranked to match calls" from top programs and matched at my top choice in an awesome city. I was also told that if I ever wanted to return for fellowship/faculty that there would be an open door. Some of the highest ranked medical schools in the country are AWFUL to be junior faculty at (in terms of pay, pressure to produce basic science research), thus it is nice to have the option to go back to an institution that you know will treat you well.

2) SMALL CLASS SIZE: While this is a pro in terms of teaching, can be a huge con if you want to meets tons of new people all the time.

3) Not university affiliated: No sports to go to, no college campus, just the Mayo campus.

4) At residency interviews, other "top places" that I interviewed were intrigued by my medical school experience and by what Mayo was like. While many Mayo Med Students that want to match at top NE/West coast places do, alot end up staying at Mayo. Thus, Mayo has less of an incestuous relationship with the UCSF, Harvards, Hopkins, Penn etc... (if you're looking to be streamlined into one of those places). My year, 30% of us ended matching at one of those institutes (which is quite high).

5) Basic science research: First of, Mayo does have a significant amount of basic science research going on that I would never scoff at. However, it is not as vast as the other "highly ranked" institutes. Thus, if you KNOW you want to be a basic science researcher, go to hopkins, Harvard, UCSF etc... you'll have way more opportunity there.

Obvious I'm biased, but I absolutely loved my medical school experience and am really grateful for all the opportunities I was given to excel at Mayo. Keep in mind though that Rochester blows, and if being in a big city = being happy for you, I would not recommend coming to Mayo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, just wanted to check in here. I'll be attending Mayo Medical School as an MS1 this upcoming year and wanted to wish you all good luck on this application cycle. Mayo definitely had the most exciting interview and I was blown away by this amazing institution, abundance of resources, and the unmatched level of friendliness of everyone I met here. I know there are a few seasoned students lurking following this thread, so feel free to ask any questions related to how you can better prepare yourself in this application process to Mayo.

Also, I wanted to insert some helpful information here that was compiled from other threads in years past so that you can have a better prepare yourself (and get excited!!) with applying here. I take no credit for this information as I'm just transferring it from last year to here for easier access.

-------

Quoted from: forsparta

Compilation of information from last year's Mayo thread. I do not state I wrote any of this (main authors: Snuke, Nerday Shortay, Icanhazcheeseburger [sp], Wisco1, ect.) and do not guarantee accuracy of any statements. The views expressed are not in association with the Mayo Medical School (MMS) and can not be used as factual evidence.

However, I believe it is useful :)

Mayo does not have a secondary, unless they change from past years. You send in your primary, Mayo reviews it, and determines whether to request LOR's from you. Once they have requested your LOR's and you send them, you are reviewed again for an interview spot.

I'll leave the other questions about the small class size, Rochester, etc., for current students who would be more qualified to answer. I will say that from what I've learned through the interview process and second look weekend that Mayo is as awesome as it sounds on paper. Financial aid is great, opportunities are unlimited practically, curriculum is great with integrated "off" time between course blocks....could go on and on.
I'm not sure about a pre-sceen, but I do know that Mayo looks at MUCH more than MCAT and GPA. The second of half of your post is not exactly accurate. Everyone who applies gets a request for money, but this means nothing about your chances of interview. Once they receive your money, they begin to review your application (primarily activities) in deciding whether to request letters from you (you should not automatically send letters to them when you pay). Here's some numbers that have been posted in previous years' threads:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)

personal statement is not read until after LORs are received.

42 MD-only spots available.
There's a minimum screen (LizzyM score of 60 = GPA * 10 + MCAT) to get the application looked at by Mayo. I assume that if you get the LOR request, you've passed that screen.
M1 schedule consists of morning lecture/lab from 8AM-noon. Then we have "Basic Doctoring" (physical exam skills and history taking, etc) 1-2 days per week in the afternoons from 1-5. The majority of the afternoons are free.

M2 year is reversed with daily lecture/lab in the afternoons.
Over the course of the first two calendar years, you have a total of 30 weeks of time alotted for selective. 18 of those weeks have to be spent doing a selective (=20 hours/wk of professional enrichment) and 12 of them are "free time". You can go home and do a shadowing experience if you want. Do your 20 hours of shadowing in the week and the rest of the time you can spend with family or do whatever you want.

I have only been in Rochester for a month now but I am not worried about it. Everyone here is very close knit and we hang out alot together. There is plenty to do in Rochester, and if you get bored, the Twin Cities are less than 90 minutes away.

We haven't really talked much about FL/AZ rotations yet, but from what I have heard you are able to do all of your rotations away if you choose, but that it is not a wise idea. The recommendation is to do the rotation in specialties that you're interested in in Rochester because that's where the "best experience" is. Do the ones that are less important to you away from Rochester. Many students, for example, will choose to do surgery rotation away if they don't have interest in surgery.
Oh man, where to start. Really, I just had an amazing incredible experience.

The interview day is long, but it seriously feels short. Everyone is incredibly nice, from admin people to MDs to students to random people on the street. All the students are blissfully happy (not just my hosts or the people running the tours. I think we met almost half the class, and not a single one - when pressed - could think of a major shortcoming to the school), and many of them turned down big names to go to Mayo. Amongst them: Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, Wash U.

The interview day starts in the student center/admissions office. It's a small building across from the Gonda, rather out of place with the rest of the Mayo buildings because it's a renovated library. Very handsome inside, too. Gina is incredibly nice, and she did the orientation, which was largely the same video posted earlier and on the website. Then we met with the assistant dean of Academic and Student Affairs, then the Director of the Office of Diversity. Each of the talks were pretty short, which was nice. Then half of us had a 30 minute interview, the other half 30 minutes of down-time, then we switched. The ice was pretty much broken already because we'd met with our student hosts the night before to have dinner (and some of us helped the Birthday Baking Committee bake cupcakes!).

Then we had a tour of the Medical School. The Plummer building (library) is gorgeous, and we traipsed through the pedestrian subway, which is also very nice, and visited a few floors of the Gonda building. The Gonda building/Mayo Clinic is really quite majestic on the inside - marble and comfortable chairs everywhere, and someone was usually playing the grand piano. The peds floor is amazing - almost makes me want to be a pediatrician - and is designed for kids and to be very kid-friendly with curves and colors and low furniture everywhere.

Then lunch, then another interview/break, in which a few of us walked to the gym (which is a-MAZING and humongous) and had a tour (you get free membership your first two years). Then it was a short meeting with The Associate dean of Academic Affairs and a Dr. on the Admissions Committee chair.

Overall, in every possible aspect, it was incredible. Like I said, everyone is blissfully happy. One of my student hosts compared Mayo to a utopia, and it truly is of a kind. They make their own little world here, and they run it immaculately. Everything is literally for the patient.

And that's the key. Mayo-wear (what they call professional suit attire for when with patients) is to reduce the boundaries between patient and doctor. Everything is set up to make the patient more comfortable/for the patient's benefit.

The class size is, well, intimate. Everyone knows everyone and everyone's business, so if you aren't comfortable with that, that could be a problem. The small size, however, allows for opportunities that you can't have otherwise. In gross anatomy, they have a radiologist (because they CT the cadavers first), two surgeons expert in the field of whatever you're dissecting, and enough TAs to cover the rest of the tables. If you want to shadow someone, all you do is email them and set it up. There are a few set selectives, but people make up their own based on their interests, or if they want to travel somewhere, they do the hours of serving the underserved the first week and enjoy themselves the second week.

Some advice: Yes, Rochester really is small. Downtown takes up about a street. You're going to have to either get over it or don't interview. Really, it's small, and it takes about 90 minutes to get there from Minneapolis.

While the weather was great when I was here, it does get to -40 F.

When people are talking to you, pay attention. I had the Director of Diversity for my first interview, and I was able to use some of his key words and points as we talked.

The interviews are really really low stress. The only stress is what you put on yourself. Both of my interviews started with 'tell me about yourself,' and you get to pretty much direct it from there. They are anticipating 4000 applications for the 42 MD spots. They will give out 1200-1300 LOR, 250-280+ interviews, and 60-70 acceptances.

The last interview day is December 12th, and the first day they will look at interviewers and rank them is September 20th.
Gina said it would be more like just over 280 interviews this year. The 250-270 is a general amount the past few years, but this one will be a bit more.

We had no indication until we walked into the room and found our name cards with a Mayo folder that contained our itinerary for the day (along with some lovely resources).

I had one good interviewer, and one amazing, but pretty much everyone was very happy with who interviewed them. From what Gina was saying, some people fight to be scheduled to do interviews - especially the Director of Diversity, even though he has so much to do anyway, apparently.

And really, I just had this experience as I was eating out with my hosts - their friends would come up, see that we were prospectives, and the first thing out of their mouth was, 'you know, they treat us so well here.' It's delightfully amazing. Mayo will only send LOR requests if you move on to that step. That you have not received that email means only that: you have not moved on. If your primary is verified and your LORs sent out on the 30th, you have several weeks before you start to worry about if you're rejected, and even then - I know LeoGer waited 7 weeks between LOR request and interview.

Earlier, about 2-3 weeks was normal between fee request and LOR request. Now, later in the season, it might take even longer, as they have just started interviewing.

So yes, you will get a LOR request if Mayo wants to see them. Until they send that email, they're just looking at your stats and ECs, not even your PS. Some are emergency medicine, pediatrics, medical clowning, two medical mission trips to Honduras, LGBT/HIV medicine in South Beach, Florida, psychiatry, research (x2), music therapy (upcoming), infectious disease. Mine are mostly medical, but the music therapy one is self-designed and mainly aimed at improving my repertoire/technique on the ukulele (no joke). I do play music every week in the main lobby at Mayo, but the school has nothing to do with this and it isn't technically medical in any way. I know other students have done writing selectives, volunteering selectives (not necessarily with medical organizations). You just have to explain what the selective will do for your career - bettering yourself as a person, even in non-medical ways, will ultimately make you a better doctor. They know that.

Mayo ranks each person following their interviews, then sends an email informing each applicant that they've been ranked. You don't know what rank you are (1-5, 1 being best), but I'm not sure how stringently they follow it, since they can pull a 2 in front of a 1 from the waitlist (leading people to believe that Mayo is comprising its class of people with certain characteristics, i.e. # athletes, # muscians, etc.)

To share an I love Mayo moment with you: I spent yesterday afternoon working with a professional actor on improv comedy skills...the idea being that extremely active listening (as is necessary for improv and scene handoffs) leads to a more successful first 20-30 seconds of entering a patient room. Several of my classmates are camping tonight to prep for a mass-casualty wilderness survival experience, another is delivering babies in rural Arizona, and one is on his way to a wedding this weekend. And, if it all works out, we'll come together next Monday to play another kickball game. What an absolutely fantastic way to study medicine...if you are going to learn 46,000 new words and phrases during the first two years of school you might as well have some fun along the way! oday during pediatric selective:

- Wake up, have coffee until 805am(others in the class doing this selective are out shadowing today in anything from gen peds to peds derm/ED/surg/etc.
- Meet Senior Sage (longitudinal geriatrics program) mentor for breakfast, interview and writeup afterwards--unrelated to selective but i had the morning free
- Lunch with peds residency director
- Neonatal resuscitation and umbilical line placement lab in simulator center from 1300-1530

...selective schedules vary widely though...so a more typical class day:

1st year:
8-12 a.m. is lecture/lab/group time. Some days we're out earlier.
12-1: Lunch/Free...usually time for interest group meetings, mentor meetings, attending grand rounds, interviewee lunches, etc.
1-5: Occasional afternoon activities (doctoring coursework, longitudinal development curriculum, volunteer programs, history taking skills, etc.)---on average over the year probably 2-3 afternoons a week have afternoons booked.

2nd year: essentially the reverse of above

3rd and 4th year: as with any medical school, mostly dedicated to time out on the wards so you could have days that are 24-36 hours long and others that are a basic outpatient clinic. Highly variable. Maybe. You might make it into the first ranking meeting after your interview, but if both of your interviewers are not present, you will not be discussed and you will not be ranked. This happened to me.

In addition, there might be a separate acceptance committee that meets at a different time than the ranking (like if they rank on Friday but accept on Thursday). Or they rank and accept at the same one. I have no clue about that, but it's a possibility.

Bottom line: you must be ranked before you can get a decision, and there's no telling when that will happen, could be a week, could be more. If you interview on the 7th, you'll definitely hear something before the end of the month, but it is possible that you'll miss the initial acceptances/decisions on the 17th. There's no way to tell at this point.

-----

And here's a post from a Mayo graduate who is now a resident. Quoted from wannadoctor

This is from the perspective of someone who attended Mayo Medical School and is now a resident at one of the residency programs often cited as "the big 4 (UCSF/MGH/BWH/JHU)" on these boards.

Reasons why Mayo is fantastic for medical school:
1) Tuition: The most you could pay for tuition was approximately $8,000 a year (many people received full rides). There were two years when they emailed the medical school and informed us everyone would be receiving a full scholarship. Average debt approximately $60,000.
- Once you're a resident and realize how much interest accumulates on even the "average medical student debt of a $160,000," you appreciate this even more. Many of my colleagues are making career decisions based on finances.

2) Selectives: Mayo's first two years are structured such that you have a "block" of 6 weeks where you focus on a topic (i.e. in second year cardiovascular system, GI system), and then have two weeks for "selectives" You receive a $5,000 travel budget to use during selecties.
- This was amazing. It made medical school so painless. Essentially, you work hard for six weeks and then have 2 weeks of selective to do research casually, travel and work abroad. Selectives can be as structured as you want them to be. But honestly, they're essentially a break for you to do what you love, enhance your resume, or just rest.
- The majority of students had done clinical work (and sometimes non-clinical) in at least 1-2 countries courtesy of this by the end of second year (work in Haiti, Uganda, South Africa, Kenya, India etc...).

3) Teaching: I honestly think this is what really makes Mayo unique. The classes are extremely clinically oriented. There are no PhD's or MD/PhD research gurus who come in and lecture you on the nuances of their research. Our faculty goes through a huge screening process as many clinicians at Mayo want to be involved in education. Evaluations of faculty are used to screen out "bad apples." Thus, you end up with professors who are teaching because they want to, love to, and excel at it. In addition to this, the faculty that teach various blocks discuss and integrate their curriculum. This avoids redundancy and minutia from being taught.
- The medical students who I work with now (from a "top 5 medical school") often comment on how frustrating it is to have "famous research faculty" come in and lecture for an hour about something not relevant. At the end of the day, I believe the reason Mayo is NOT like this is because 1) The institution as a whole is clinically oriented (and clinical research oriented) and not as basic science oriented as top NE places (which can be a con depending on what you want to do).

4) Research: Whether it be clinical or basic science (though basic science not as strong), it is easy to do research. Mayo DOES have a 3 month research requirement built into third year (which is an AMAZING break). The year I graduated, out of the approximately 40 of us, >than half had more than 2 published papers (not counting abstracts, presentations etc..). There were a few of us that had published >10 papers by the end of medical school, and most in respected, high impact journals. At the end of the day, because there are so few Mayo medical students and Mayo provides incentives for faculty to publish papers with medical students (faster track to professorship), research and publishing is very accessible.

4) The system at Mayo is amazing. It's seamless. It is truly cost effective, efficient, and patient-oriented. You REALLY appreciate this as a 3rd year, 4th year, but most importantly as a patient. While I LOVE the institution that I currently am at for completely different reasons (again a "big 4" residency), I remember being dumbfounded my intern year by how inefficient, slow, and difficult the system at this "top hospital" was... more importantly, how these inefficiencies often led to patient errors.

5) Other random perks: Can do an MD/JD at ASU in 2 years. Mayo will pay for it, you don't have to take the LSAT. Mayo will also give you $10,000 if you pursue another degree (MPH etc...) at any other institution (people have left to do MBA's, MPH's, Master's at Oxford/Cambridge, Master's in fashion design, Master's in Journalism). At the end of a six week block, faculty will take you out or invite the class over to their place for dinners/drinks. The student body is MUCH MORE diverse in terms of where Mayo pulls students from (i.e. it is not IVY league undergrad heavy).

CONS:
1) ROCHESTER: This is a HUGE con. After applying to medical schools, I ended up narrowing down my choice of schools to Mayo vs. UCLA vs. Harvard vs. U of Chicago. All three other programs were in superior cities. While I loved my classmates at Mayo, and that made it fun, being in chicago/boston/LA would have been amazing. The truth is who you're with can make or break the experience. Mayo tends to pick a really interesting and fantastic group of people, but at the end of the day, you're in a city with limited bar/restaurant options. It also gets REALLY cold in the winter. Rochester sucks, but your classmates can make it fun. At the end of the day, I had no regrets as I came out of Mayo with no debt, really happy with my education, and when it came down to residency applications, received numerous "ranked to match calls" from top programs and matched at my top choice in an awesome city. I was also told that if I ever wanted to return for fellowship/faculty that there would be an open door. Some of the highest ranked medical schools in the country are AWFUL to be junior faculty at (in terms of pay, pressure to produce basic science research), thus it is nice to have the option to go back to an institution that you know will treat you well.

2) SMALL CLASS SIZE: While this is a pro in terms of teaching, can be a huge con if you want to meets tons of new people all the time.

3) Not university affiliated: No sports to go to, no college campus, just the Mayo campus.

4) At residency interviews, other "top places" that I interviewed were intrigued by my medical school experience and by what Mayo was like. While many Mayo Med Students that want to match at top NE/West coast places do, alot end up staying at Mayo. Thus, Mayo has less of an incestuous relationship with the UCSF, Harvards, Hopkins, Penn etc... (if you're looking to be streamlined into one of those places). My year, 30% of us ended matching at one of those institutes (which is quite high).

5) Basic science research: First of, Mayo does have a significant amount of basic science research going on that I would never scoff at. However, it is not as vast as the other "highly ranked" institutes. Thus, if you KNOW you want to be a basic science researcher, go to hopkins, Harvard, UCSF etc... you'll have way more opportunity there.

Obvious I'm biased, but I absolutely loved my medical school experience and am really grateful for all the opportunities I was given to excel at Mayo. Keep in mind though that Rochester blows, and if being in a big city = being happy for you, I would not recommend coming to Mayo.

Wow!!!! Great job pitting this together! I'm an incoming student and learned some interesting tidbits of information! Every person applying would be smart to review this:)!!!!!!

Wow Mayo sounds so amazing, I would love to apply there despite the fact that I don't think I can get in. That 1% acceptance rate makes an application seem like a waste of $135 :(

Wow Mayo sounds so amazing, I would love to apply there despite the fact that I don't think I can get in. That 1% acceptance rate makes an application seem like a waste of $135 :(

Actually I think it's closer to a 2 percent acceptance rate:)

can anyone tell me how strict they are with letters of evaluation being on letterhead? my boss outright refused to do it, citing some absurd branding policy which I'm sure doesn't apply to letterhead. nonetheless it's a good, 3.5 year, full-time employment experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone tell me how strict they are with letters of evaluation being on letterhead? my boss outright refused to do it, citing some absurd branding policy which I'm sure doesn't apply to letterhead. nonetheless it's a good, 3.5 year, full-time employment experience.

Just a fellow applicant here, but everywhere I have read, letterhead is a REQUIREMENT. Otherwise, you simply could have typed it up yourself.

Just a fellow applicant here, but everywhere I have read, letterhead is a REQUIREMENT. Otherwise, you simply could have typed it up yourself.

what's stopping someone from typing up letterhead themselves?

You can direct him to the Mayo Medical School website for the Letter of Recommendation policy: http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/admissions/letters-of-recommendation-policy

It explicitly states that "If your letters of recommendation are not signed and on letterhead, they will be considered invalid." This should be enough for your boss to reconsider writing your LOR on a letterhead, especially if he cares about your future success as a physician.

Of course, you could email or call the admissions office, explain your situation, and ask what you should do. Folks there are SUPER nice and would be more than happy to help you out!

@earf

Wow, that was AMAZING, thanks!

Do you know what Mayo's take is on scholarships for foreign students?
I am Canadian, and I do know that Mayo considers us (somewhat) equally for admission, but I wondered if we were also allowed the private loans and scholarships, just like American students.

It would play a big part in my decision to apply, considering that I wouldn't be granted federal loans/scholarships from either American/Canadian governments if ever I went to study in the USA. (And there does not seem to be any information on this on the Mayo MD website.)

Anyway, thanks again man!

@earf

Wow, that was AMAZING, thanks!

Do you know what Mayo's take is on scholarships for foreign students?
I am Canadian, and I do know that Mayo considers us (somewhat) equally for admission, but I wondered if we were also allowed the private loans and scholarships, just like American students.

It would play a big part in my decision to apply, considering that I wouldn't be granted federal loans/scholarships from either American/Canadian governments if ever I went to study in the USA. (And there does not seem to be any information on this on the Mayo MD website.)

Anyway, thanks again man!

My understanding is that anyone who is accepted automatically gets the $15,000 initial scholarship. There's another scholarship almost equal to that in need-based aid after you send in your financial aid forms, but I'm not sure if international students are barred from getting these awards. There are multiple international students that interview here and I think a third matriculate per year out of those who interview and this might be related to the finances.

Why don't you give them an email/phone call to clarify? Would hate for you to miss an opportunity to apply to one of the cheapest (especially for international students) medical schools in the US based on misinformation.

Hm. Didn't come by this thread until now, and accidentally sent my LORs to Mayo on my initial app on 6/10. Think it'll affect my chances any? I'm almost certain I'll pass the LizzyM score test (cGPA=3.7, sGPA=~3.8, MCAT 42S).

Hm. Didn't come by this thread until now, and accidentally sent my LORs to Mayo on my initial app on 6/10. Think it'll affect my chances any? I'm almost certain I'll pass the LizzyM score test (cGPA=3.7, sGPA=~3.8, MCAT 42S).

No it won't hurt anything if you assign you letters to Mayo before they request them. Really doesn't seem to matter either way.

No it won't hurt anything if you assign you letters to Mayo before they request them. Really doesn't seem to matter either way.

From what I've gathered from the threads the only difference is that if you assign your letters before the request, you won't get official feedback about whether you've "passed" the LOR request stage or not.

for the minimum screen, does anyone know if the GPA they use is cGPA or BCPM GPA or both?

:O Wow, that compilation post... This school sounds so perfect that I feel like it's worth the money just to not kick myself that I never tried.

:O Wow, that compilation post... This school sounds so perfect that I feel like it's worth the money just to not kick myself that I never tried.

No place is perfect, but having spent a long tome working there I'll definitely apply :)

Not positive on the GPA screen for sure but based on an info session I attended there a couple of years ago, it seemed to be cGPA.

I submitted AMCAS to Mayo.... :oops:

I hope they at least request my letters :p This is definitely a reach...

Definitely an underdog here, but I'm applying again. For some reason they showed me love during the last cycle pretty late in (second week of october) when I had a late app, so I'm hoping for even better luck during this cycle with a ton of new updates. Final undergrad GPA ~3.6, MCAT 29, and primary under review 6/18.

Definitely one of my favorite schools in almost every category.

Wishful thinking here, but if I receive a LOR request from Mayo, what is an acceptable amount of letters to send? I saw on their website that they require 3 letters, but doesn't say "only" or "limit of 3" or the like. I will have 5 letters. Would it be acceptable to send all 5? Thanks!

Only 800 get LOR requests? Hmm - wonder where the approximate GPA/MCAT cutoff has been in recent years, especially since their numbers are not as high as some peer schools.

I am not 100 percent what I did for Mayo but whenever I had a school that requested 3 or more lors I submitted 5. I had 7 but did not want to overwell them.

Does anyone know which types of activities Mayo favors? Most applicants will probably have research, shadowing and/or volunteering at a hospital, but what about athletics, greek life, university clubs and organizations? They must really look closely at activities if that is what they screen before asking for letters.

only 800 get lor requests? Hmm - wonder where the approximate gpa/mcat cutoff has been in recent years, especially since their numbers are not as high as some peer schools.

(gpa*10 + mcat) > 62

Does anyone know which types of activities Mayo favors? Most applicants will probably have research, shadowing and/or volunteering at a hospital, but what about athletics, greek life, university clubs and organizations? They must really look closely at activities if that is what they screen before asking for letters.

I think they're trying to "build" a diverse class of people from a range of the above. non-trads, athletes, people who worked their way through school, and a few cookie cutters. That's the way it seems to me, anyway.

only 800 get lor requests? Hmm - wonder where the approximate gpa/mcat cutoff has been in recent years, especially since their numbers are not as high as some peer schools.

(gpa*10 + mcat) > 62

Thanks. I was really involved in greek life and a service organization so hopefully they will like that!

From what I've gathered from the threads the only difference is that if you assign your letters before the request, you won't get official feedback about whether you've "passed" the LOR request stage or not.

Oops. I have a committee letter that includes every possible permutation of letters a school could ask for, so I just assigned my letter to all schools...oh well.

Oops. I have a committee letter that includes every possible permutation of letters a school could ask for, so I just assigned my letter to all schools...oh well.

I'm not pretty sure about that. Their website says explicitly that they will send a LOR request even if letters are assigned

Interesting - only that many applicants (the ~800ish that get LOR requests) are over 62 on that? That's lower than I'd have expected!

They also read your primary application pretty closely (no secondary application essays) before requesting LORs, so the ~800 requests are not based on stats alone. It's a pretty heavy screen.

Interesting - only that many applicants (the ~800ish that get LOR requests) are over 62 on that? That's lower than I'd have expected!

No thats how much you need not to get screened out

They are pretty service oriented, but from their Med School 101 session a few years back, basically what it seems like they're looking for is people who are passionate about medicine, good patient care, and something else (or a few things). They seem to like you to have a long term commitment to something you're truly passionate about and that could be a whole variety of things, something that makes you, you. Not checking off boxes. They are very big on fit as opposed some places that like big stats.

They are pretty service oriented, but from their Med School 101 session a few years back, basically what it seems like they're looking for is people who are passionate about medicine, good patient care, and something else (or a few things). They seem to like you to have a long term commitment to something you're truly passionate about and that could be a whole variety of things, something that makes you, you. Not checking off boxes. They are very big on fit as opposed some places that like big stats.

Great, that is good to know because I feel like my activities have more of an emphasis on non-medical volunteering as compared to some other pre-meds that I know, and I was a little worried about what specifically Mayo likes since Mayo is a dream school for me. I have spent 2-3.5 years in different organizations that I really like, so hopefully Mayo (and other schools) will like me for it :)

Fee request. Not sure if that means anything.

Fee waiver Email! Hopefully we will hear about LOR requests soon :p

Fee request. Not sure if that means anything.

They give that to everyone as they will not start processing your primary until you pay the application fee. Just submitted :)

anyone else notice the email said $120 but the payment was for 100?

Anyone else notice that the fee request email says $120, while the payment portal only lets you pay $100? And they list two different email addresses to use to ask payment-related questions...

I'm glad they didn't reverse it and say $100, but actually charge $120.

lol I wonder which is the mistake... hopefully they won't ask us to pay $20 extra afterwards :rolleyes:.