*** 2013-2014 MD/PhD Acceptances ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update (as of 6/11 synch):

1834 applicants (late applicants added; DF from last year or regular MD added as MD/PhD)
15 withdrew before acceptance
765 offered at least one MD/PhD acceptance (42.1% - 765/1819)
21 defer to the future (typically restricted to a single MD/PhD school)
121 withdrew after acceptance (most often into MD programs)
623 current class entering in 2014​
1054 rejected or waitlisted (since last update 13 students off the waitlist)
There are only 10 applicants with double acceptances at the present time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update:

1834 applicants (late applicants added; DF from last year or regular MD added as MD/PhD)
756 offered at least one MD/PhD acceptance (41.6% - 756/1819)
21 defer to the future (typically restricted to a single MD/PhD school)
614 current class entering in 2014​
1063 rejected or waitlisted (since last update FOUR students off the waitlist)
There are only 9 applicants with double acceptances at the present time.

Is the acceptance rate really that high? How many spots are available in total?

Sorry, but I copied the numbers from the wrong spreadsheet. I made the edits when you were writing your reply. As you can tell, the acceptance rate is truly high, but that is partly due to the nature of how competitive these programs are. In response to your questions of how many slots, there were 112 Medical Schools with MD/PhD enrolled students in 2013 (see table 37 of AAMC Facts). Each program only has, on average, 4-10 slots. There only 11 programs with more than 13 slots and only 3 with more than 20 first year positions (see table 33 and/or 37). This year is no different. Overall, some programs who might grow their class one year, but compensate the following year. We have about 620 - 635 positions or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but I copied the numbers from the wrong spreadsheet. I made the edits when you were writing your reply. As you can tell, the acceptance rate is truly high, but that is partly due to the nature of how competitive these programs are. In response to your questions of how many slots, there were 112 Medical Schools with MD/PhD enrolled students in 2013 (see table 37 of AAMC Facts). Each program only has, on average, 4-10 slots. There only 11 programs with more than 13 slots and only 3 with more than 20 first year positions (see table 33 and/or 37). This year is no different. Overall, some programs who might grow their class one year, but compensate the following year. We have about 620 - 635 positions or so.

Is there data for MSTP specifically (without trying to manually going through it)?

Is the acceptance rate really that high? How many spots are available in total?

I have noticed quite a few posts - and some even underestimating the difficulty of getting into a program - on the relative high acceptance rate into Md/PhD programs. Some MD applicants even commented that it should be easier to get into MD/PhD programs due to its "higher acceptance rate". This is illusionary at best because those who apply are highly motivated, determined and have very good credentials - not just meeting minimum qualifications (if there is such a thing). The much higher average GPA, sGPA, MCAT scores for MD/PhD matriculates than the MD matriculates should indicate the level of intensity in the process. As someone once said - all MD/PhD applicants are very good (unlike MD applicants). It is then just a matter of luck, timing, and making the right picks.

I have noticed quite a few posts - and some even underestimating the difficulty of getting into a program - on the relative high acceptance rate into Md/PhD programs. Some MD applicants even commented that it should be easier to get into MD/PhD programs due to its "higher acceptance rate". This is illusionary at best because those who apply are highly motivated, determined and have very good credentials - not just meeting minimum qualifications (if there is such a thing). The much higher average GPA, sGPA, MCAT scores for MD/PhD matriculates than the MD matriculates should indicate the level of intensity in the process. As someone once said - all MD/PhD applicants are very good (unlike MD applicants). It is then just a matter of luck, timing, and making the right picks.

Haha, I'm well aware of this. I'm a 5th year at a top 20 program, and I do a lot for admissions. I was just curious about the numbers.

Is there data for MSTP specifically (without trying to manually going through it)?

The 45 MSTPs consist of ~75% of all of the MD/PhD slots and also for the number applications. I has been consistent for the last few years. As compared to MD applicants, the academic qualifications of MD/PhD students are considerably higher (just compare tables 17 and 35).
MD - mean total MCAT 31.3, Sc GPA 3.63, cGPA 3.69
MD/PhD - mean total MCAT 34.5, Sc GPA 3.7, cGPA 3.8

Will this have any impact on any of those who accepted an offer from Albert Einstein?

http://www.takepart.com/feature/2014/06/17/yeshiva-university-loses-endowment-hedge-funds

Specifically: Yeshiva is now selling off at least ten of its buildings in an effort to generate cash, and it has entered into an agreement with Montefiore Medical Center to operate the university’s medical school in a deal that rids Yeshiva of a major annual expense while risking its status as a leading research university.

Update (as of 6/23 synch):

1834 applicants
771 offered at least one MD/PhD acceptance (42.4% - 771/1819)
23 defer to the future (typically restricted to a single MD/PhD school)
627 current class entering in 2014​
1048 rejected or waitlisted (since last update 6 students off the waitlist)
There are only 6 applicants with double acceptances at the present time.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
And the circus will start anew next week! Congratulations to all those in the 2014 entering class. Good luck to all those applying for 2015.

Reactions: 5 users