2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off the waitlist! First quartile. No more waiting!!!!!!!!!

Already? This is awesome for you! Congratulations! I am in second quartile so I suppose this gives me some hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is the time frame, but each day is typically a half day.

Roughly what percentage of the class skips lecture? Are labs/FCM/pathway all that is required? And are all 2nd year classes required as I heard on my interview day?

Thanks so much.

Roughly what percentage of the class skips lecture? Are labs/FCM/pathway all that is required? And are all 2nd year classes required as I heard on my interview day?

Thanks so much.
I don't know what proportion of students employ alternative learning methods ;) vs standard M1 lectures. With respect to M2 year, this year only a portion of the class sessions had participation opportunities that contributed to our final grade. I've heard rumors that there might be some changes for next year in how much weight the in-class points have on the final grade.

I just got my deposit back and never withdrew? Is that normal...

I just got my deposit back and never withdrew? Is that normal...
dont think so. from what I remember correctly the deposit would be applied to our tuition. I would check with admissions ASAP when they are open tomorow. From my understanding nobody gets their deposit back unless you withdraw.

Any of you guys know of any good scholarships to apply to? Thanks in Advance.

Question for current students. How does MCW's Biochem compare to undergrad biochem? I just finished undergrad Biochem and it was a typical undergrad class requiring essentially memorization of at times ridiculous minute details. One of those classes where the concepts are sort of lost because you're too busy just memorizing every single enzyme of every single pathway, structures of more sugars than it is really necessary to know imo, etc. I did well and I have no issue with Biochem, but I'm kind of tired of the memorization vs. application of concepts thing. I would love more of an overarching theme sort of structure to class, biochem in particular. So, just wondering what I can expect from MCW's Biochem. I expect plenty of opportunities for rote memorization in medical school, don't get me wrong, but in this day and age it seems such an antiquated way of learning and teaching. MCW seems more application, conceptual heavy as they realize that information is at our fingertips all the time now, but it is evident in most classes or just some? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students. How does MCW's Biochem compare to undergrad biochem? I just finished undergrad Biochem and it was a typical undergrad class requiring essentially memorization of at times ridiculous minute details. One of those classes where the concepts are sort of lost because you're too busy just memorizing every single enzyme of every single pathway, structures of more sugars than it is really necessary to know imo, etc. I did well and I have no issue with Biochem, but I'm kind of tired of the memorization vs. application of concepts thing. I would love more of an overarching theme sort of structure to class, biochem in particular. So, just wondering what I can expect from MCW's Biochem. I expect plenty of opportunities for rote memorization in medical school, don't get me wrong, but in this day and age it seems such an antiquated way of learning and teaching. MCW seems more application, conceptual heavy as they realize that information is at our fingertips all the time now, but it is evident in most classes or just some? Thanks!
Well put Sphenoid927. I feel the same way about undergraduate Biochem

There is a biochemistry section in the M1 course Molecules to Cells. For an understanding as to why med students need to fully understand biochem see here. The details are what matter, such as understanding why giving Vit B6 to a person who has homocystinuria is an effective treatment.

And on a related note: Everything is fair game for board exams so to do well you really do need to know all the things instead of just relying on being able to look it up.

Thanks. I'm not saying that I don't expect to have to know things! lol. On the contrary! As you say, an UNDERSTANDING of biochemistry is what is needed. I fully agree and never said otherwise in my post. I like biochem I just want it taught in a relevant way. My beef with my ug class is that we did not focus on understanding the processes, but focused on memorization. What you describe is actually exactly what I was/am hoping for. Memorizing structures of sugars in undergrad biochem is rather useless imo, now what you describe about knowing important physiological details is! So, thanks, because this is exciting to me. I wished for more of that sort of direction in undergrad biochem, but it really missed the mark. I am glad to find that MCW's biochemistry will associate what we are learning with clinical applications. That's on the money. :)

Thanks. I'm not saying that I don't expect to have to know things! lol. On the contrary! As you say, an UNDERSTANDING of biochemistry is what is needed. I fully agree and never said otherwise in my post. I like biochem I just want it taught in a relevant way. My beef with my ug class is that we did not focus on understanding the processes, but focused on memorization. What you describe is actually exactly what I was/am hoping for. Memorizing structures of sugars in undergrad biochem is rather useless imo, now what you describe about knowing important physiological details is! So, thanks, because this is exciting to me. I wished for more of that sort of direction in undergrad biochem, but it really missed the mark. I am glad to find that MCW's biochemistry will associate what we are learning with clinical applications. That's on the money. :)
You'll get some of it M1 year and much more of it M2 year. Congrats!

Has MCW ever posted their average step 1 scores? How do they compare to the national average?

Are mcw exams taken on computers? And do they try to write the questions in a format that is similar to that of step 1?

+1

I withdrew my acceptance here today. Best of luck to all of you on the wait-list. I was in your shoes last cycle and I promise you it gets better if you don't give up!

thanks! do you know anything about step 1 averages?

Someone asked at my interview day. The response was something like "We don't know the actual number, but it's somewhere a little bit above the national average." I hope this helps.

Well, isn't the first discovery curriculum class barely taking their step 1?

Seems like the wait list is off to a bit of a slow start... has anybody else gotten off the waitlist ye.t May 15th has already passed.

Someone was asking about the average step 1 scores for mcw students. Now that the curriculum is different maybe the average has changed? I wonder if for better or for worse.
Ahh yes I asked that, I just read the post wrong. I thought you meant barely taking as in the new curriculum wasn't preparing the class adequately but I seewhat you meant now

Does anybody know if MCW makes most of their offers on the waitlist immediately following the May 15th date or are they on a somewhat continual basis throughout the summer? I ask this because the update email indicated 15 offers had been made and this is a bit short of the 50-75 average that they mentioned in the email. My first quartile ranking made me somewhat optimistic so hopefully there are a few more offers to be made.

Does anybody know if MCW makes most of their offers on the waitlist immediately following the May 15th date or are they on a somewhat continual basis throughout the summer? I ask this because the update email indicated 15 offers had been made and this is a bit short of the 50-75 average that they mentioned in the email. My first quartile ranking made me somewhat optimistic so hopefully there are a few more offers to be made.
It all depends on what happens with the people who are occupying a place at MCW and on WLs at other schools. In years past, there was a trickle all summer long. In fact, I think I heard that for my class someone was offered a place about 1 week before orientation started. Keep your head up for right now!

I got the impression during the interview (for waitlist) that first quartilers were almost sure of getting in. The pace over the past couple weeks has me unsure and nervous ): Hope there's some movement next week!

It all depends on what happens with the people who are occupying a place at MCW and on WLs at other schools. In years past, there was a trickle all summer long. In fact, I think I heard that for my class someone was offered a place about 1 week before orientation started. Keep your head up for right now!
Sounds like me. I'm holding a spot at MCW but I'm also on a few waitlists in California (home state), so if I'm lucky enough to get in I will withdraw. Even though I really like MCW, I'd easily choose to stay in CA to be close to family and reduce costs associated with moving across the country $_$

It says that there hasn't been any acceptances since the initial 15 that were accepted 2 weeks ago.... :(

I was accepted off the waitlist in early May but withdrew about 2-3 weeks ago so my spot should be going to someone.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know what kind of timeframe someone that is offered a spot off the waitlist has to accept or deny the offer?

I'm not sure, but I was led to believe that if you made 1st quartile you would get an acceptance

I'm not sure, but I was led to believe that if you made 1st quartile you would get an acceptance

Yeah, still stuck in the first quartile :( There was movement in the first week, but after an initial 15 offers, there has been no movement whatsoever.

Anyone know where we can find the Match results for 2014

thanks in advance

Anyone know where we can find the Match results for 2014

thanks in advance
They used to be available online. Not sure where they went since they updated their website. PM me your email address if you want them. I have 2013 and 2014.

Hey guys or gals,
Just submitted 2ndary, how screwed am I? whoopee. Anyways, school website says 2 faculty-ish letters required, up to 3 optional LORs. MSAR says minimum 3, max 7 letters. How many letters ya'll send? I'm so confuzzled.

D'oh. Just realized I posted in last year's thread. I'm not a smart man.