2013-2014 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chill bro! :p I was complete 7/15 and still no small pool.

(OOS)

Hard to chill at any point in this application process, but I know, I know, I know!!! :) It's not "bro" btw. There are females in medicine and on SDN, you know!? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to chill at any point in this application process, but I know, I know, I know!!! :) It's not "bro" btw. There are females in medicine and on SDN, you know!? ;)

You go girl!

Reactions: 1 user

Haha there are so few of us on SDN (or we're so quiet about it) that I think it's assumed one's a guy on SDN, lol. I'm right with you eagerly waiting for a small pool email, too; I think I was complete on 7/17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to join in and wish everybody the best of luck during this cycle from another female here :).:cool:

Question. I just submitted my secondary application and it says they have not received my letters yet even though they have been with AMCAS for probably a month now.

Assuming this is normal and they just need to request them from AMCAS and all should be set. Just making sure other people encountered this and I am all set to wait for an interview. Do I have to do anything other than inputting the information required on the secondary and let AMCAS electronically send them from there?

Thanks everyone and as always good luck to everyone!

Question. I just submitted my secondary application and it says they have not received my letters yet even though they have been with AMCAS for probably a month now.

Assuming this is normal and they just need to request them from AMCAS and all should be set. Just making sure other people encountered this and I am all set to wait for an interview. Do I have to do anything other than inputting the information required on the secondary and let AMCAS electronically send them from there?

It will take a few days after you have submitted your secondary ap for MCW to input all your letters and mark you complete. Once you are complete, then it's just a waiting game. The first hurdle to overcome is to get a "small pool" email. See some earlier posts in this thread on what that is and what it looks like. Once you are small pooled then you wait for an interview invite which may or may not come. At any rate, getting small pooled is the first thing you will be waiting for. Best of luck!

It took them a good amount of time for them to mark my letters as received. You do not need to take any further action after submitting them via the AMCAS Letters Service.

It will take a few days after you have submitted your secondary ap for MCW to input all your letters and mark you complete. Once you are complete, then it's just a waiting game. The first hurdle to overcome is to get a "small pool" email. See some earlier posts in this thread on what that is and what it looks like. Once you are small pooled then you wait for an interview invite which may or may not come. At any rate, getting small pooled is the first thing you will be waiting for. Best of luck!

It took them a good amount of time for them to mark my letters as received. You do not need to take any further action after submitting them via the AMCAS Letters Service.

Thanks both of you! I guess its time to sit back and hope for the best!

Hey guys, stupid question but when it says Title, are you guys putting like Dr/Ms. or Professor/Program Director/etc.

thanks!

Hey guys, stupid question but when it says Title, are you guys putting like Dr/Ms. or Professor/Program Director/etc.

thanks!

Always assumed it was the latter. Either Professor, Program Direction, etc. I already included the other part in their name. For instance...

Title: Pathologist
Name: Dr. John Smith

I am sure someone else will confirm that. But that's what I did!!

This is kind of a quiet thread. I would have thought more action would be reported after others got small pool emails a couple weeks ago, but nothing much since, huh? Interesting. Of course, not everyone is on SDN, but still....

This is kind of a quiet thread. I would have thought more action would be reported after others got small pool emails a couple weeks ago, but nothing much since, huh? Interesting. Of course, not everyone is on SDN, but still....

Agreed. The first batch of small pool emails went out earlier this year than last I think, and the first batch of II's went out first week of September, so maybe we'll get some action going soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shall also be applying to the Medical College of the University of California in Wisconsin :D
hoping my MCAT score is good while I await verification.

Agreed. The first batch of small pool emails went out earlier this year than last I think, and the first batch of II's went out first week of September, so maybe we'll get some action going soon.

Yeah, compared to previous years the first small pool emails this year seemed much earlier. The relative quiet in the last 3 weeks though seems odd, but again, not everyone is on SDN, so who really knows if not everyone reports? It would seem that now that it's August the small pool emails should be picking up. So, we'll see. Perhaps you're right and will see some action soon!

Let's all concentrate on really wanting to get small-pooled and invited for interviews, so that the generated energy will be converted into a flood of IIs and subsequent acceptances for us, anxious and hopeful pre-meds! :)

While you guys beg for the small pool I think I'm gonna just chill here in the large pool for a few more weeks. The temperature is great! I'm not ready to get out yet.

While you guys beg for the small pool I think I'm gonna just chill here in the large pool for a few more weeks. The temperature is great! I'm not ready to get out yet.

Don't worry I'm still in the olympic-sized lap pool with you. :(

Just fyi to everyone getting impatient... the admissions office is super busy planning for orientation which starts Monday. Once that's outta the way their energy will be refocused on y'all. Peace and blessings...

Just fyi to everyone getting impatient... the admissions office is super busy planning for orientation which starts Monday. Once that's outta the way their energy will be refocused on y'all. Peace and blessings...

Thanks for the info! Cheers! :D

Just got back from out of the US without internet and went to check my status.

Says my user ID is not active, and I can't log in. Anyone else with this issue?

Just got back from out of the US without internet and went to check my status.

Says my user ID is not active, and I can't log in. Anyone else with this issue?

Nope. Logged on just fine just now. I would call them up in the a.m. if you still have a problem then.

Is there no "submit button" on the MCW secondary?

I got small-pooled today! I guess the committee is back to work on our apps after the orientation!
Does anyone know what percentage of people get 'small-pooled' and what shot at an interview does this represent?

I got small-pooled today! I guess the committee is back to work on our apps after the orientation!
Does anyone know what percentage of people get 'small-pooled' and what shot at an interview does this represent?

Congrats! When were you complete?

Congrats! When were you complete?

I don't think I actually received a 'complete' email so I don't know the exact date. I couldn't get my letters through AMCAS till 7/8/13 though and I know it took them several weeks to mark me as complete.

I don't think I actually received a 'complete' email so I don't know the exact date. I couldn't get my letters through AMCAS till 7/8/13 though and I know it took them several weeks to mark me as complete.

if you dont mind me asking (some people on this site are quite protective) what were your stats?

Small-pooled as well. Really excited about this school

if you dont mind me asking (some people on this site are quite protective) what were your stats?
I guess I'm pretty protective too :) My MCAT not best, but I have ~3.9cgpa, 4.0sgpa,

Nope. Logged on just fine just now. I would call them up in the a.m. if you still have a problem then.

Seems they reverted to the password they originally send me.

My status says complete, however it still hasn't sorted out my residency even though I sent in the paperwork over a week ago. Should I be worried? Anyone receiving emails without residency determination (In-state).

EDIT: Called and they said not to worry. It takes a number of weeks for that to get worked out and is only for tuition purposes. Not sure what that means in terms of favoring in-state or if they just have high in-state matriculants due to a lot of Wisconsinites wanting to be there. I was born and raised in Milwaukee and went to high school in Wauwatosa a few miles from their campus, so hopefully I'll get some love.

Hey all! Absolutely thrilled about applying to schools in the Midwest!! :)

Question about the secondary application: Although I am currently enrolled through the graduate school at my institution, I am partaking in a Post-Bacc program to receive a (non-thesis) MS degree.

I have one committee letter from the department, so would I mark it as "One Premedical Advisory Committee Letter" in the undergraduate letter section, and disregard the graduate school section (which requires 2 different letters)? I do not have an undergraduate committee letter.

Thanks for the help!

Seems they reverted to the password they originally send me.

My status says complete, however it still hasn't sorted out my residency even though I sent in the paperwork over a week ago. Should I be worried? Anyone receiving emails without residency determination (In-state).

EDIT: Called and they said not to worry. It takes a number of weeks for that to get worked out and is only for tuition purposes. Not sure what that means in terms of favoring in-state or if they just have high in-state matriculants due to a lot of Wisconsinites wanting to be there. I was born and raised in Milwaukee and went to high school in Wauwatosa a few miles from their campus, so hopefully I'll get some love.

Hi. I was going to respond to your post with the same info MCW gave you. Yep, my residency took 2 wks top to be verified by the state and for MCW to mark it as such in my secondary status.

I'm a lifetime Milwaukee area res so I, too, am really hoping for some love from MCW. Besides geographic reasons, it really is an awesome school. Good luck! :)

Question about the secondary application: Although I am currently enrolled through the graduate school at my institution, I am partaking in a Post-Bacc program to receive a (non-thesis) MS degree.

I have one committee letter from the department, so would I mark it as "One Premedical Advisory Committee Letter" in the undergraduate letter section, and disregard the graduate school section (which requires 2 different letters)? I do not have an undergraduate committee letter.

Well looks like I have to use 2 science letters from undergrad as well 2 from the graduate school. Maybe this will help those who are in a similar situation (post-bacc program or graduate school), as their requirements for letters are slightly different. Good luck everybody!

Hi. I was going to respond to your post with the same info MCW gave you. Yep, my residency took 2 wks top to be verified by the state and for MCW to mark it as such in my secondary status.

I'm a lifetime Milwaukee area res so I, too, am really hoping for some love from MCW. Besides geographic reasons, it really is an awesome school. Good luck! :)

Do you know if the residency paperwork has any bearing on IS vs OOS acceptance decisions or is it just for tuition purposes? They don't really make this clear and last year I don't think they said it had to be in until next summer, which leads me to believe they take your word for it if you say you are IS.

I did find this this, so it appears that an IS acceptance is contingent upon residency confirmation.

Each year, the College admits a significant number of its entering class from its Wisconsin applicant pool. All acceptances offered to applicants claiming to be Wisconsin residents will be contingent upon confirmation of their residency status by the Higher Education Aids Board (HEAB), located in Madison, WI.
To apply for Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, you will need to complete the Wisconsin Residency Determination form. Mail the form and supporting documentation to HEAB at the address listed on the form.

Do you know if the residency paperwork has any bearing on IS vs OOS acceptance decisions or is it just for tuition purposes? They don't really make this clear and last year I don't think they said it had to be in until next summer, which leads me to believe they take your word for it if you say you are IS.

I did find this this, so it appears that an IS acceptance is contingent upon residency confirmation.

Each year, the College admits a significant number of its entering class from its Wisconsin applicant pool. All acceptances offered to applicants claiming to be Wisconsin residents will be contingent upon confirmation of their residency status by the Higher Education Aids Board (HEAB), located in Madison, WI.
To apply for Wisconsin residency for tuition purposes, you will need to complete the Wisconsin Residency Determination form. Mail the form and supporting documentation to HEAB at the address listed on the form.

The paperwork itself is for tuition purposes to my knowledge. As such, I believe it is a less crucial piece of the application. However, MCW being a WI school will get lots of WI applicants, but unlike a state school, I don't believe they have a certain quota of state residents to fill, but this is just conjecture. If you are worried about the residency paperwork, I wouldn't. From your application it should be clear if you are from WI or not and they will only need proof of this once you are accepted and intending to attend MCW. Then, it's just a tuition thing because IS'ers get a small break on tuition. Hope that helps!

The paperwork itself is for tuition purposes to my knowledge. As such, I believe it is a less crucial piece of the application. However, MCW being a WI school will get lots of WI applicants, but unlike a state school, I don't believe they have a certain quota of state residents to fill, but this is just conjecture. If you are worried about the residency paperwork, I wouldn't. From your application it should be clear if you are from WI or not and they will only need proof of this once you are accepted and intending to attend MCW. Then, it's just a tuition thing because IS'ers get a small break on tuition. Hope that helps!

Thanks for confirming. That's what I figured but I was worried I missed something in the app or the possibility that something changed since last year. I got concerned when I saw a few posts about people submitting the paperwork already.

Thanks for confirming. That's what I figured but I was worried I missed something in the app or the possibility that something changed since last year. I got concerned when I saw a few posts about people submitting the paperwork already.

I submitted mine right away so I could check another thing off my list. ;)

On another note: I got small pooled! Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

is that an email or status update?

The small pool notification was an email. As far as I understand, once the application is complete on the status page you will no longer see any changes on the application and all communications are via email. Please correct me if I am wrong if anyone has different information. FWIW, I was complete 7/24.

Hey guys!

I'm currently an M3 at MCW, and remember (vividly) how crazy the whole admission process was for med school. I got a lot of great feedback from SDN while I was applying and just wanted to pay it back. Feel free to let me know (either here or by PM) if you have any questions about MCW's program.

Good luck!

Hey guys!

I'm currently an M3 at MCW, and remember (vividly) how crazy the whole admission process was for med school. I got a lot of great feedback from SDN while I was applying and just wanted to pay it back. Feel free to let me know (either here or by PM) if you have any questions about MCW's program.

Good luck!

Have you watched the Milwaukee Bucks play live?