2013-2014 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Sooooo... I started last year's thread too. Feels bittersweet to be starting this one, but I shall keep the faith! Waitlisted for this year, preparing for next! Who's with me!?

I'm in the same boat! Early decision this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I will be applying here also. First time applicant. From your experience, what is the timeline like for mercer (regular decision interviews and acceptances?)?

Could some of last years waitlisters post their stats? Just curious!

I was waitlisted and still clinging to the vague hope but getting my 2014 attempt ready in the meantime. I was approx. 30 MCAT and 4.0GPA but got kinda a late start among other issues that being an applicant newb hurt me on

I was waitlisted and still clinging to the vague hope but getting my 2014 attempt ready in the meantime. I was approx. 30 MCAT and 4.0GPA but got kinda a late start among other issues that being an applicant newb hurt me on

Wow impressive gpa! Thanks for sharing this is my first cycle applying just curious what was out there from Mercers pool last cycle.

I'm in the same boat! Early decision this year?

Yep! They're my top choice so it only makes sense. Worried that my app this year doesn't have enough "new" on it to make a great impression, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I spoke with Leslie Jackson and she said this was the most competitive applicant pool they have ever had... maybe this coming year won't be the same story. Good luck to you.

Anyone submitted app yet? For those that applied EDP here before do you know the approximate turn around time for secondary materials? Good luck everyone hope to see some of y'all during interviews!

I submitted the app but my transcript didn't arrive yet so I'm on the backburner while waiting for that to.come through.

Anyone submitted app yet? For those that applied EDP here before do you know the approximate turn around time for secondary materials? Good luck everyone hope to see some of y'all during interviews!

Submitted and verified. Applying regular decision but Mercer one of my top 2 desired schools.

Submitted and verified. Applying regular decision but Mercer one of my top 2 desired schools.

How long did it take for your app to become verified? Just curious I already had transcripts in when I submitted - but I just submitted late Friday night- applying EDP btw- good luck everyone!!!!! :)

How long did it take for your app to become verified? Just curious I already had transcripts in when I submitted - but I just submitted late Friday night- applying EDP btw- good luck everyone!!!!! :)

I submitted at 9:32AM on the very first day. Got verified in 4 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody get secondaries yet? I Know its only been two days. Just ready to start.

Waitlisted, 27MCAT 3.8GPA

Not yet. Anybody know if our letters need to be in to get a secondary for ED?

I'm applying EDP would anyone mind sharing the secondary essays?

P.s they don't need the committee letter to send you a secondary. Got mine Friday

I was ready to submit my secondary. But I found out a few things that I had problems with, and I hope its helpful for you guys.

First, make sure your uploaded picture is small ( you get a prompt if its too big), and in jpeg format.
Second, I spoke to Mrs. Coleman, and she said that under the section that says Document Status under the Home tab, you will get a message that states "no letters have been submitted" only if all of your letter writers are not yet submitted to AMCAS. I am taking their option to roll over two letters from last year, as a precaution I added the same two into AMCAS just in case Mercer wasn't able to use the letters from last year. Unfortunately this is keeping me from being able to submit my secondary. To remedy this, I had to select the letters in AMCAS and mark them as not being submitted. Mrs. Coleman is going to call me back to make sure they have all of my letters later today.

Applying EDP, Wait-listed for 2013.

Hey guys,

I will be applying here also. First time applicant. From your experience, what is the timeline like for mercer (regular decision interviews and acceptances?)?

I applied regular decision last year. I got my secondary completed in August, and I was interviewed in early November. They offer seats to accepted applicants in the monthly ADCOM meeting. I was placed on the waiting list was notified the first week of April this year.

To whoever's already received the secondary- what all do they make you do to verify your Georgia residency?

I'm making a trip back home this weekend and would like to try and take care of all the necessary documents while I'm there (since I will be here on the West Coast for 2 months after that).

Georgia resident here, hoping to get into either this school or MCG...

gluck to all you guys applying this cycle! :)

To those who received a secondary, was your application verified before you received a secondary, or did you receive it automatically when you submitted?

I know MCG automatically sent everyone a secondary, even if they weren't verified yet. How does the secondary/screening process work at Mercer?

I think there is a screening process for a secondary at Mercer.

To whoever's already received the secondary- what all do they make you do to verify your Georgia residency?

I'm making a trip back home this weekend and would like to try and take care of all the necessary documents while I'm there (since I will be here on the West Coast for 2 months after that).
It was just a residency verification form that you have to print off and notarized by a notary and a probate or superior court judge. I guess this way it eliminates having to submit pages of supporting documents.

Submitted Secondary! Good Luck Everybody!

Are you VISITING OR ON VACATION on the west coast or are you LIVING on the west coast. There is a big difference.

Visiting or vacationing you do not change your current state of residence. Just like if you go to Hawaii for your honeymoon you and your husband are not a Hawaii resident!

on the other hand if you are LIVING on the west coast then you need to get your drivers license changed, mailing address, blah blah blah and you would not be able to apply to Mcg or mercer. But on a positive note you could apply to whatever "west coast" state your supposedly at!

Last edited:
has anyone applying regular decision received the secondary?

Are you VISITING OR ON VACATION on the west coast or are you LIVING on the west coast. There is a big difference.

Visiting or vacationing you do not change your current state of residence. Just like if you go to Hawaii for your honeymoon you and your husband are not a Hawaii resident!

on the other hand if you are LIVING on the west coast then you need to get your drivers license changed, mailing address, blah blah blah and you would not be able to apply to Mcg or mercer. But on a positive note you could apply to whatever "west coast" state your supposedly at!

I guess living? I lived in Georgia until age 18 and then came to California to go to college. I just graduated but I'm spending my gap year here in California to continue my clinical/research activities. I still have all the Georgia documents and consider myself a resident fir Georgia since I was merely in CA for college. So I'm hoping I'm still able to apply for MCG and Mercer.

I guess living? I lived in Georgia until age 18 and then came to California to go to college. I just graduated but I'm spending my gap year here in California to continue my clinical/research activities. I still have all the Georgia documents and consider myself a resident fir Georgia since I was merely in CA for college. So I'm hoping I'm still able to apply for MCG and Mercer.

I have the same situation- out of state for college. I had no problem getting Mercer's "Application for certification of residency" filled out by the probate judge, all they asked for was a non-expired georgia DL. I actually called MCG about my situation because I did not have a utility bill or a tax return from GA to show that I am a resident and they gave me a hard time about it and went on about how I am not a resident blah blah even though my DL is from georgia, my car still has GA plates, and my whole family still lives in Georgia.

secondary received and submitted..... however when i look at my secondary there is no picture! I uploaded one and it said the section was complete but it is shows there is no picture....anyone else have this problem?

For those who have already received the secondary, can you please post the essay questions? It would be much appreciated!!

secondary received and submitted..... however when i look at my secondary there is no picture! I uploaded one and it said the section was complete but it is shows there is no picture....anyone else have this problem?
I had same problem, but now when I check the pic is there.
For those who have already received the secondary, can you please post the essay questions? It would be much appreciated!!

1. A. The mission of the Mercer University School of Medicine is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia. How do you plan to contribute to healthcare in rural or underserved Georgia?

B. Please describe a service or volunteer activity that you feel best prepared you for the mission of our school?

2. The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of Mercer University School of Medicine's Admissions Committee. Students learn from each other as well as from faculty, and being part of a diverse student body affords additional learning opportunities for every student. Please tell us what facets of your life and education to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal.

Such facets might include your early education, socioeconomic status, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, and life or work experiences.

3. What ethical dilemmas do you foresee that you might encounter in a medical practice in rural and underserved Georgia? Please describe one such incident and how you might resolve it.

4. Would you consider yourself disadvantaged as compared to the 'average' medical school applicant?

5. Please explain to the Admissions Committee other factors that would help them better understand your unique circumstances? (i.e. poor grades, MCAT score, missing information, life circumstances, legal difficulties, additions to your AMCAS application since it was completed, etc.)

Thanks for the essays! submitted and waiting for secondaries

Anyone have their residency form received yet?

Is this a long process ? I assumed you just went to a local courthouse and got the appropriate paperwork?

Very short/easy process....just needs to be signed by the probate judge. Got it done in 5 minutes. App complete, got the email today

Is this a long process ? I assumed you just went to a local courthouse and got the appropriate paperwork?
Yes sir. Pretty easy, just need to have your driver's license (or something with your address on it) to show that you're a GA resident.
Very short/easy process....just needs to be signed by the probate judge. Got it done in 5 minutes. App complete, got the email today

I sent mine priority on Monday so they should have got it Wednesday. Not complete. Hoping it's done by next week

Yes sir. Pretty easy, just need to have your driver's license (or something with your address on it) to show that you're a GA resident.

I sent mine priority on Monday so they should have got it Wednesday. Not complete. Hoping it's done by next week

I sent mine last Tuesday. Post office said ADCOM should get it by Friday.... So yesterday I freaked out and got another form and got "complete" email this morning.

I sent mine last Tuesday. Post office said ADCOM should get it by Friday.... So yesterday I freaked out and got another form and got "complete" email this morning.

I got complete this morning as well.

I'm not sure but I was curious about the interview process as well.
Do they call people on a rolling basis, or is there one day where they will call everyone? If it is a rolling basis, how long is the typical wait between the submission of a secondary application and the (potential) extension of an interview invitation?

What I have gathered from last year is it's on a rolling basis. So first to apply tend to have an advantage. When I was wait listed, I was told there are 100 students on it. I submitted everything regular decision by July, got called for an interview in October for an early November interview. ADCOM meets once a month to review all applicants interviewed, they contact accepted students afterwards. Deferred and rejected students aren't notified until first week of April. I was notified of my placement on the alternate list through email, and I read from last year's forum emails were sent for rejections.

I called Gail Coleman and she said no interviews have been scheduled yet. They intend on starting interviews towards the last week of August for EDP applicants.