2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on MSU CHM vs MSU COM?
I'm waitlisted at CHM and accepted at COM. my boyfriend goes to COM and he says that COM students tend to be happier. That's really my only input and it's not even my own lol

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on MSU CHM vs MSU COM?

Obviously a biased opinion, but anecdotally what I have seen is that someone interested in subspecialty fields would probably be better off going the MD route. That is not to say that DO's don't make excellent physicians in these fields, but rather the journey into these fields seems to have a much narrower entrance coming from a DO school with a limited number of corresponding DO residency spots. With that said, in a few years the match will be combined, such that both MD and DO residency spots will be applied for within the same match. How this will change the competitiveness of certain fields will remain to be seen.

Personally, if I had a greater interest in primary care, I would have gone the DO route. Having worked with DO's during my family medicine rotation, the manipulation skills acquired from osteopathic training are pretty incredible and as a physician practicing in the field you use these techniques every day.

As far as the specific differences between these two branches of MSU, they are probably negligible. Having gone to MSU for my undergrad years, a ton of my friends attend MSU COM and they are all getting very good training. Personally, I don't think you should be deciding between these two programs, but instead you should be deciding on whether or not you want to be an MD or DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to all that got accepted to CHM. For those of you still waiting to hear back, hang tight. People were admitted late off the wait list last year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everybody!
I have been placed on the alternate list by CHM last month, when do you all think is the better time to send in my update letter and additional letters of recommendation to the admission office; before May 15th or after that?

At this point i don't think it matters but i would say before may 15.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if CHM follows MSU's academic calendar for christmas break?

Withdrew my acceptance today - hope it goes to one of you guys!

Any waitlist movement? I know its early but...yeah..

Reactions: 1 user
  1. Hey guys here are my stats. Looking to apply to all schools in Michigan and Chicago area. Michigan resident and currently a junior at Michigan State University. I am also in a social fraternity and was wondering if that would hurt my chances. I know my academic stats are below the median for most MD schools, but do give your honest opinion on my chances at the schools I'm interested in.

Academics:
    3.47 Science gpa
    3.49 Overall gpa
    30 MCAT

Extra Curricular:
    1 year of research at MSU Department of Surgery on a clinical trial
    hospital volunteering during the school year and summer for 2.5 years
    consistently shadowed a ENT DO for a year (he's my mentor and will write a great rec letter)
    Executive board for two student organizations
    Philanthropy chair for my social fraternity for 3 semesters (lots of charities, fundraisers, and events and was responsible for hosting events that raised over $7000 in my time at the position) devoted a great deal of time into my fraternity
    That will the GPA that goes into AMCAS, I plan on submitting within the first couple days when you can submit AMCAS around first week of June, Im retaking the MCAT on May 17 so whenever that score gets in it will be added to my AMCAS app.

I have identical stats and am also an MSU grad (class 2013). I didnt get accpeted right out of college (had an 28 mcat, got 2 interviews and one waitlist), but I retook the mcat and worked at a hosiptal for a year. I will be going to MSU CHM in Grand Rapids and was accepted at Wayne state and Florida International, so dont lose hope.

Any current students know how much movement there typically is on the preclinical placement waitlist?

For anyone that sent in a letter of continued interest or any additional letters of recommendation: did CHM give you any notification that they received your updates?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that sent in a letter of continued interest or any additional letters of recommendation: did CHM give you any notification that they received your updates?

I submitted a letter of continued interest in February and received a confirmation email about 2 days later.

I submitted a letter of continued interest in February and received a confirmation email about 2 days later.
Hmmm, I sent one near the end of March and received nothing back. I really hope this didn't bone me over.

Did you send your letter as an e-mail to [email protected] , or did you mail it in?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, has anyone heard about any movement on the alternate list? I know that May 15 was a big day to start reevaluating candidates but just wanted to know if anyone had heard back or knew anything further regarding the waitlist.

I'll be heading to a different MD school, but if anyone has any questions about MSU/East Lansing feel free to ask and i'll be happy to answer! I spent 4 great years here.

I am looking into student organizations ( government, employment, research, volunteering, shadowing, intramural sports, etc) to join at the Grand Rapids Campus. I am having trouble navigating MSU CHM's site as most of the links won't work with my server...? Do any accepted applicants or current students have any information relating to different opportunities offered in Grand Rapids? I have heard that medical school is what you make of it and although I anticipate being very busy I want to make great friends, enjoy myself and actively contribute to this school and community.

I am looking into student organizations ( government, employment, research, volunteering, shadowing, intramural sports, etc) to join at the Grand Rapids Campus. I am having trouble navigating MSU CHM's site as most of the links won't work with my server...? Do any accepted applicants or current students have any information relating to different opportunities offered in Grand Rapids? I have heard that medical school is what you make of it and although I anticipate being very busy I want to make great friends, enjoy myself and actively contribute to this school and community.

I would not worry about this quite yet. There is an activities fair during orientation week and you will be able to interact with representatives from every single organization. For research opportunities email Mark Trottier (PM me for his email address). As far as employment goes you can volunteer as a tour guide or interviewer during first year, and then get paid to be a tour guide during second year. You can also make good money as a tutor after first year (as long as you do well in your classes). Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm, I sent one near the end of March and received nothing back. I really hope this didn't bone me over.

Did you send your letter as an e-mail to [email protected] , or did you mail it in?

I emailed mine to chmapp. They may have slowed down on responses if the office has become busy recently but I would call the admissions office and verify they received it.

Anyone here waiting to hear back from the ABLE program? I believe decisions come out tomorrow.

For current students - what's the likelihood of getting placed at your preferred clinical campus? Are students equally divided among the 6 clinical campuses? If you have an interest in a particular specialty, for example ophthalmology, are you more likely to be placed at one campus over the others?

I didn't hear anything today :/ Did anyone else get notice from ABLE today?
I haven't heard anything either. I've emailed Joy Skutt and MSU admissions also; no reply yet. I'll keep you updated!

For current students - what's the likelihood of getting placed at your preferred clinical campus? Are students equally divided among the 6 clinical campuses? If you have an interest in a particular specialty, for example ophthalmology, are you more likely to be placed at one campus over the others?

Technically the clinical campus placement is purely a lottery system. However, if there are specific ties that a student has to a clinical campus (significant other has a job/kids in school, have significant research at a certain campus, etc), they used to give some preference to these students. I say 'used to' because I believe there may be some modification in the process for future classes. With that said, they generally do not give preference based on interest in a particular specialty. All in all, it seems like the majority of students are happy with the way the results turn out. Hope that helps, but feel free to ask more questions!

There's a TON of places to work out in GR. A bunch of students went to the YMCA. If you live downtown, MVP is another popular spot. There's also snap fitness and fitness 19 but less people go to these, on average. If you live at Icon on bond there's a tiny workout facility in the apartment complex itself.

Email reply says that ABLE decisions will be out sometime next week.

Any other accepted students having trouble activating their NetID? I received both the PID and PAN numbers but the system says it doesn't have my PID/PAN combination in its records.

Last edited:
Any other accepted students having trouble activating their NetID? I received both the PID and PAN numbers but the system says it doesn't have my PIN/PAN combination in its records.

Make sure you include the capital "A" in your A-PID
If you were only accepted a day or two ago, hang on. It takes some time to get into the necessary database
If you still can't do it then give the MD admissions office a call to verify your PID/PAN combo (or maybe the Registrar)

Make sure you include the capital "A" in your A-PID
If you were only accepted a day or two ago, hang on. It takes some time to get into the necessary database
If you still can't do it then give the MD admissions office a call to verify your PID/PAN combo (or maybe the Registrar)

I included the "A" (and I also tried to remove it but the system doesn't allow it). I was accepted a while back. I'll call admissions tomorrow. Thanks for the tips.

Hey did anyone get into the ABLE program?

got dropped from the alternate on friday...nbd...started at MSUCOM and love it :)

Any ABLE program news?

Last edited:
Do students outside of the MD/PhD program get involved with research during the school year?

I will be a 1st year at the GR location. Thanks!

Do students outside of the MD/PhD program get involved with research during the school year?

I will be a 1st year at the GR location. Thanks!

Oh, for sure. I'll be your classmate, but I know of someone in our class who already has research set up.