2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of things are you guys writing for the 3rd essay? Brief blurb about yourself, or Why MSU? I'm kind of lost there.

Another question - does MSU show any preference to their own undergrads?

What kind of things are you guys writing for the 3rd essay? Brief blurb about yourself, or Why MSU? I'm kind of lost there.

Another question - does MSU show any preference to their own undergrads?

Whatever you think is important. I addressed a weakness in my application.

mine now says that it's being reviewed preliminarily...anyone else? anyone get an invite or hold for later?

I go to the status page and there is no information there. Is anyone else having this same issue?

I go to the status page and there is no information there. Is anyone else having this same issue?
Give it time. It took a week for my status page to get updated to preliminary review.

There was a technical problem with the status page. I emailed the admissions office and they contacted IT to resolve the issue. It should load correctly now.

+2 preliminary review.

How long should we expect before we hear something back?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the preliminary review now.

I'm an idiot. I forgot to add it to AMCAS. No wonder I still didn't get a secondary.

Added to preliminary review, although my letters aren't all in.

Went to check my application status and got this on the homepage:

"Application will be down for server maintenance on Thursday, August 8th, 2013 from 5:15 PM - 6:30 PM EST. Sorry for the inconvenience"

Couple other schools have released interview invites after similar "maintenance" periods, think MSU will do the same?

Went to check my application status and got this on the homepage:

"Application will be down for server maintenance on Thursday, August 8th, 2013 from 5:15 PM - 6:30 PM EST. Sorry for the inconvenience"

Couple other schools have released interview invites after similar "maintenance" periods, think MSU will do the same?

I really hope so.

Would the third essay be a place to update MSU with summer course grades?

Would the third essay be a place to update MSU with summer course grades?

I wouldn't recommend it. I used the third essay to give a nice, brief summary of my application as it pertains to MSU. I'd say that you should talk about how well you fit with their mission statement and what you're most proud of about yourself that exemplifies that.

Can you send an updated transcript to AMCAS to include your new grades?

I wouldn't recommend it. I used the third essay to give a nice, brief summary of my application as it pertains to MSU. I'd say that you should talk about how well you fit with their mission statement and what you're most proud of about yourself that exemplifies that.

Can you send an updated transcript to AMCAS to include your new grades?
+1

Does anyone know if MSUCHM is receptive to summer transcripts or updates/letters of interest?

I had read the deadline for MSU's secondary is August 8, but didn't take it too seriously.

Now, I am trying to copy and paste my essays and the screen won't accept any of my text.

IS IT TOO LATE TO DO THE SECONDARY? :(

On the website, it says the deadline is November 30th. Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong..?
Straight from their secondary e-mail:

"SECONDARY APPLICATION DEADLINE: The deadline to submit your Secondary Application is November 30th for Regular applicants, August 31st for Early Decision. Keep in mind that applicant interviews take place September through February."

As far as your copy-paste issue, I remember the character count being a little finicky. ... maybe just try copy-pasting a portion? Or writing something in? Or use a different browser?

... or call MSU?

I had read the deadline for MSU's secondary is August 8, but didn't take it too seriously.

Now, I am trying to copy and paste my essays and the screen won't accept any of my text.

IS IT TOO LATE TO DO THE SECONDARY? :(
He's referring to MSU - Osteopathic. Oops wrong thread momop!

I am one of the applicants who was waitlisted during the past cycle and given a deferred acceptance to start in 2014 with your class! I interviewed at GR and absolutely loved the campus!

I was complete in early August, and received a II in early September for an interview in late September.

I was definitely an "underdog" applicant, and was so excited to be accepted at CHM! They are all about finding students who are a good fit. So, best advice here is to not fret over stats and be genuine during the application process! Feel free to ask any questions!

I was definitely an "underdog" applicant, and was so excited to be accepted at CHM!

Congratulations!! :highfive:

Hoping for an II sometime...anytime...hopefullyreallyreallysoon :p

Anyone have an interview offer yet?

Hello,

CHM grad here. GR campus.

Personally, would not advise students going to any campus other than GR. Many reasons.

IM me or AIM me if you are seriously considering matriculating here, because there are some things you need to know if you have other options.

Overall still a good school that will get you where you need to go.

I sent them an in the area email about a week ago. No response as of today. :(

Let's hope it was the holiday weekend that held them up :p I just sent my email a minute ago...I don't know what you all write in these emails, but it seriously seemed like the most awkward and stupid email I ever wrote :rolleyes:

Third year student in GR. Love my school and the city. Will be applying ophtho. Best wishes!

Worth applying? Semi low stats, OOS but completing a research internship in GR area for 6 months..?

3.52 cGPA - 26 mcat

II just now!!!! Too excited. IS, 30-33, 3.7+

Congrats on the IIs. When were all of you guys complete?

II !! :D

IS, application forwarded for review 8/19, stats on MDApps

I have to say, they are cutting it really close with airfare, Boston is far away! Interview scheduled less than two weeks from notification :rolleyes:

I have to say, they are cutting it really close with airfare, Boston is far away! Interview scheduled less than two weeks from notification :rolleyes:
Congrats! Yeah, those BOS --> DTW flights are a doozie... I make that flight at least 4 times a year. :p Hopefully I'll have the same "problem" you do! :xf:

I will be flying from Boston too! Sooooo excited! I am going to see if I can move my date though as it is soooo soon!

Completed 8/22

In-state
MCAT: 32+
GPA: 3.9+

congrats to everyone with II! Did you all receive emails or check your online status?

7/19- Application Complete, Under Preliminary Review
9/11- Received Interview Invite via Email

I will be flying from Boston too! Sooooo excited! I am going to see if I can move my date though as it is soooo soon!

I seriously thought about moving it too, but at this point I'm just so excited to go and interview! Plus, I'm eager to see the Lansing campus - my family lives in Grand Rapids so I know what's what there :p