2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the third question, about the AdComs and what you want them to know, is it appropriate to mention a subpar MCAT section?
I mentioned that my score on VR does not limit my ability to become an excellent physician, but should I also mention why my score is so poor? I really don't have a good reason, besides not adequately preparing/test day circumstance (I f*cked up and left the testing center, they told me they would report and might have to void, but I don't really believe that's why I did so dismally)
Well, I explained a subpar GPA/why/what I've learned from it, so I think it's also a good spot to explain red flags like a super bad MCAT subscore. However, I wouldn't mention that story unless you can make it sound ... understandable. I find it a little fishy that you "left" the testing center at some point that was completely inappropriate?

Well, I explained a subpar GPA/why/what I've learned from it, so I think it's also a good spot to explain red flags like a super bad MCAT subscore. However, I wouldn't mention that story unless you can make it sound ... understandable. I find it a little fishy that you "left" the testing center at some point that was completely inappropriate?

Understood. I didn't read the rules they handed me :naughty: -- I stepped outside for 1 minute during the PS/VR break, I just wanted some fresh air. I came back in and they said they might have to void my score/would report it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the third question, about the AdComs and what you want them to know, is it appropriate to mention a subpar MCAT section?
I mentioned that my score on VR does not limit my ability to become an excellent physician, but should I also mention why my score is so poor? I really don't have a good reason, besides not adequately preparing/test day circumstance (I f*cked up and left the testing center, they told me they would report and might have to void, but I don't really believe that's why I did so dismally)

If you have something to say that sounds convincing to yourself then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea, but you don't sound all that convinced that you do have a good reason :) I also have a bad sub-section score, but I wrote about more positive things because my score is really just my own fault and I don't want to draw any unnecessary attention to it. Good luck, I loved this school's interview day so much and I really really hope I (and the rest of you!) get in!

If you have something to say that sounds convincing to yourself then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea, but you don't sound all that convinced that you do have a good reason :) I also have a bad sub-section score, but I wrote about more positive things because my score is really just my own fault and I don't want to draw any unnecessary attention to it. Good luck, I loved this school's interview day so much and I really really hope I (and the rest of you!) get in!

:thumbup:
Thanks!!!
I submitted-- didn't reference the reasons behind why the bad sub score, but a more positive outlook on it.
Good luck to you too :D

Interview Invite! Complete mid-August, IS, 3.7/32 (ish).

Complete wohoo!! (just verified this tuesday morning, i'm so late lol) :thumbup:

To any students at the GR campus: Where do people usually work out?

Interviewed Oct 4. Good luck to everyone and, of course... Go Green! :)

Any success stories? (acceptances? :) )

not yet! anxiously waiting!
their first release date is technically oct 16th but according to last years thread the adcom started calling the night before their release date!

Members don't see this ad :)
not yet! anxiously waiting!
their first release date is technically oct 16th but according to last years thread the adcom started calling the night before their release date!

omg! good luck!! :D :D

make sure to let us know how it goes :thumbup:

ACCEPTED!!!! Just got the call from Dr. Maurer around 30 minutes ago. Interviewed September 20th. TOO EXCITED!!!

Was put on hold today for ii.

oos, 33, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.85, gGPA (PhD) 3.8
9 research pubs, 2 book chapters, several academic and military awards
significant clinical experience and some volunteer

have received invites from BU, Mayo and Dartmouth and really wanted to visit here.:mad:

What a bummer!

Was put on hold today for ii.

oos, 33, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.85, gGPA (PhD) 3.8
9 research pubs, 2 book chapters, several academic and military awards
significant clinical experience and some volunteer

have received invites from BU, Mayo and Dartmouth and really wanted to visit here.:mad:

What a bummer!

When were you complete?

I was put on hold today too. Complete 7/19, MSU undergrad, 3.9 gpa and 33 MCAT. OOS now due to military.

I was put on hold today too. Complete 7/19, MSU undergrad, 3.9 gpa and 33 MCAT. OOS now due to military.

Geez. Thats seems crazy considering you went there for undergrad! Sorry to hear this.

So I'm assuming if we didn't get a call today from the 9/20 interview we're probably wait listed? Two holds in one day :/

I'm kinda confused how this school is working through their apps. Everyone saying they were put on hold was complete about a month later than me and I have not had any movement with my application. No change in status since I was forwarded for preliminary review??

Wow I'm so surprised, I just texted my mother that I didn't hear from MSU today when a voicemail popped up on my phone without it ringing--it was Dr. Maurer calling to say I was accepted!! SO happy about it! I wish I could have talked to him to say how happy I am! I interviewed Oct. 4 but it's so late tonight I wouldn't worry if you also interviewed that date and haven't heard back yet, because they might not have finished going through all those applications yet.

:) :) :)

Rejected today without having been invited for an interview. OOS with 32 mcat 3.99 GPA. Too bad I can't know why they didn't want to consider me further. First rejection of the cycle. Good luck to ya'll.

Rejected today without having been invited for an interview. OOS with 32 mcat 3.99 GPA. Too bad I can't know why they didn't want to consider me further. First rejection of the cycle. Good luck to ya'll.

MSU is super IS biased. Good luck elsewhere.

omg :scared:

my stats are way way way lower than the one above who was rejected, and I'm technically OOS too :scared:

I've been in Michigan for ~5 months now, until November. Do you think they will consider this or not? Oh well :(

ACCEPTED!

OOS 3.9, 36, interviewed Oct 4. Did my undergrad at MSU. ;)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I'm kinda confused how this school is working through their apps. Everyone saying they were put on hold was complete about a month later than me and I have not had any movement with my application. No change in status since I was forwarded for preliminary review??

I'm OOS with strong IS ties and interviewed there last year late in the cycle. I finished earlier this year and was forwarded for preliminary review on 8/8 and still no word as well...Last year it took a long time but I was hoping this year it would be a little faster. :( Have you heard back yet?

I'm OOS with strong IS ties and interviewed there last year late in the cycle. I finished earlier this year and was forwarded for preliminary review on 8/8 and still no word as well...Last year it took a long time but I was hoping this year it would be a little faster. :( Have you heard back yet?

Nope! Forwarded for review on 8/28 and no change. I mean I guess no change is better than a hold for rejection but it just seems like it has been a while and seeing people who were complete later than me hearing things makes me confused lol

Nope! Forwarded for review on 8/28 and no change. I mean I guess no change is better than a hold for rejection but it just seems like it has been a while and seeing people who were complete later than me hearing things makes me confused lol

Mine was forwarded 7/19 with no change yet :eek:. Still not sure what to think either.

I completed everything on that exact same date as well! Still no update when I logged in either.

Is anyone having a problem accessing their status page?

Not exactly true. From their admissions website:

"approximately 20-25% of each entering class is from outside of Michigan.The most competitive non-Michigan residents have MCAT scores of 10/P or above, a very strong or improving academic profile, and nonacademic attributes and experiences that will enrich the class and be consistent with the mission of the college. Nonacademic factors tend to play a very large role in academically successful, non-Michigan residents gaining acceptance."

20-25% OOS acceptance is higher than most public schools.

anyone know chances of getting interview if you're put on hold? are they like other schools where chances are bleak or are they generous at re-reviewing apps and giving interviews after your on hold?

anyone know chances of getting interview if you're put on hold? are they like other schools where chances are bleak or are they generous at re-reviewing apps and giving interviews after your on hold?

I applied last year, completed 9/5, on hold for interview on 10/19 and didn't get an II until 1/24, then scheduled it for 3/15 which was the soonest one available. no luck obviously so this year I was complete on 8/7 and still haven't heard anything. :shrug:

I applied last year, completed 9/5, on hold for interview on 10/19 and didn't get an II until 1/24, then scheduled it for 3/15 which was the soonest one available. no luck obviously so this year I was complete on 8/7 and still haven't heard anything. :shrug:

What stats did you apply with last year and were you in-state? if you dont mind me asking.

thanks!

Now that the excitement has worn off I'm getting extremely concerned about the MMI. Anyone who has interviewed have any comments on how hard it was? I've had one interview so far and it was so easy going and conversational I'm worried I won't be prepared for this one lol.