2013-2014 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Now that the excitement has worn off I'm getting extremely concerned about the MMI. Anyone who has interviewed have any comments on how hard it was? I've had one interview so far and it was so easy going and conversational I'm worried I won't be prepared for this one lol.

I interviewed there last year and it was hard for me to feel natural about it because they are pretty fabricated situations (just my opinion), but I think what would've helped me then is if I would've just been WAY more empathetic (some of the situations will have actors) and take it from the other person's point of view. I got all flustered in several of the stations (there were 8), and kinda just lost the whole day because I was so nervous. So just be calm, be nice, be yourself...you'll do fine. :)

What stats did you apply with last year and were you in-state? if you dont mind me asking.

thanks!

OOS (strong IS ties), 27 MCAT, 3.4 s&c GPA, couple thousand hours of paid and volunteer clinical experience and several hundred hours of non-medical volunteer hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that the excitement has worn off I'm getting extremely concerned about the MMI. Anyone who has interviewed have any comments on how hard it was? I've had one interview so far and it was so easy going and conversational I'm worried I won't be prepared for this one lol.

The nice thing about this MMI is, besides the acting stations, the stations really just aim to learn more about you as an applicant. I know that's vague, but really, there's not much prep you can do here.

I interviewed there last year and it was hard for me to feel natural about it because they are pretty fabricated situations (just my opinion), but I think what would've helped me then is if I would've just been WAY more empathetic (some of the situations will have actors) and take it from the other person's point of view. I got all flustered in several of the stations (there were 8), and kinda just lost the whole day because I was so nervous. So just be calm, be nice, be yourself...you'll do fine. :)

The nice thing about this MMI is, besides the acting stations, the stations really just aim to learn more about you as an applicant. I know that's vague, but really, there's not much prep you can do here.

Okay thank you! I'd like to think I'm very personable for interviews but this MMI set up just seems extremely stressful to me. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think.

Just got an II for 11/21!! Was complete on 8/28. @PreMedBarbie, make sure and let us all know how it goes this year! :) Good luck!

Just got an II for 11/21!! Was complete on 8/28. @PreMedBarbie, make sure and let us all know how it goes this year! :) Good luck!

Congrats! I was put under preliminary review on 7/31 and have heard nothing since, does MSU do silent rejections?

Congrats! I was put under preliminary review on 7/31 and have heard nothing since, does MSU do silent rejections?

Thanks! From what I understand MSU will change the status of your application after preliminary review from either hold for interview, invited to interview or rejected. I'm unsure how soon they would update a rejection haven't seen any on here yet.

I'm pretty sure they would let you know.. be patient, I applied last year and didn't hear from them for an interview until like the middle of January and I was complete in August.

Congrats to all who have recently been accepted or received an II!!!

Based on MSU threads from previous years, they accept update/interest letters. Since there's no option to upload letters to your applicant page, does anyone know where/how I would go about sending one?? And also, how soon is too soon to send one (pre-interview)??

I have an on-going shadowing experience to add, which I didn't include on my primary since I was just starting the experience at the time. Now I'm sort of coming to the realization I probably should have included that on my secondary :(

Love this school and feel that a letter might be somewhat helpful. Any opinions or help is very appreciated!!

they do not accept pre-interview LOR/LOIs/updates
only post-interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got bumped up to an 11/8 interview! :) Does anyone know of a cheap way for a 23 year old to get from Chicago O'hare to grand rapids? Or is anyone interested in carpooling, my flight gets in late afternoon on the 7th?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I just got bumped up to an 11/8 interview! :) Does anyone know of a cheap way for a 23 year old to get from Chicago O'hare to grand rapids? Or is anyone interested in carpooling, my flight gets in late afternoon on the 7th?

I've ridden the Amtrak between Chicago and East Lansing many times. I don't know if it goes to GR, but check it out. If I remember right, it was like $30 in 2006.

Hi Dracosta,
I am from Grand Rapids and have used megabus (http://us.megabus.com/) several times to get back and forth from CHI to GR. It depends on when you buy your ticket but can range from $30-50 total. It takes off by Union Station in Chicago, the only problem is it drops off at a little bit of a sketchy area in Grand Rapids, so a daytime arrival would be WAY better. The drop off location isn't far from downtown.

Goodluck on your interview!!

I've ridden the Amtrak between Chicago and East Lansing many times. I don't know if it goes to GR, but check it out. If I remember right, it was like $30 in 2006.

Hi Dracosta,
I am from Grand Rapids and have used megabus (http://us.megabus.com/) several times to get back and forth from CHI to GR. It depends on when you buy your ticket but can range from $30-50 total. It takes off by Union Station in Chicago, the only problem is it drops off at a little bit of a sketchy area in Grand Rapids, so a daytime arrival would be WAY better. The drop off location isn't far from downtown.
Goodluck on your interview!!

Thank you so much! :)

Are any of you folks interested in pursuing the joint MD/MPH program?

I was wondering if anyone knows how many people MSU plans to interview and how many are accepted? (Sorry if this was on a previous page, I couldn't find it)

I was wondering if anyone knows how many people MSU plans to interview and how many are accepted? (Sorry if this was on a previous page, I couldn't find it)
I want to say they're planning on interviewing +/- 500, somewhere around there. As for acceptances, I'd predict something like 250 for the number of spots they have.

Are any of you folks interested in pursuing the joint MD/MPH program?
Me, :).

I'm not 100% sure if I want to do the MPH during med school or not but it's definitely something I'm keeping in mind.

I want to say they're planning on interviewing +/- 500, somewhere around there. As for acceptances, I'd predict something like 250 for the number of spots they have.

Awesome Thanks! Just was curious for a ball park estimate.

Does anyone have any input on what kind of laptop/Ipad/whathaveyou works well with the curriculum?

Me, :).

I'm not 100% sure if I want to do the MPH during med school or not but it's definitely something I'm keeping in mind.

Just to spread the knowledge, you're virtually guaranteed acceptance to the MPH program once you're accepted into the MD program here. The application process is basically null; you just copy/paste your personal statement and request CHM to forward your MCAT/LORs. Keep in mind that their MPH program is online only, though.

Does anyone have any input on what kind of laptop/Ipad/whathaveyou works well with the curriculum?

Based on feedback from friends who are current students, I think any modern laptop will suffice. A majority of students do have Apple laptops though, and I got the impression that there's also a significant base of iPad users.

My personal input is that iPads are great for taking hand-written notes that are automatically searchable, while accruing zero paper weight to lug around. I would absolutely NOT get an iPad as a replacement for a laptop in medical school, but if you have the means to purchase both, it could be a great learning tool. I would stray away from the iPad Mini, though, at least for M1-M2.

Based on feedback from friends who are current students, I think any modern laptop will suffice. A majority of students do have Apple laptops though, and I got the impression that there's also a significant base of iPad users.

My personal input is that iPads are great for taking hand-written notes that are automatically searchable, while accruing zero paper weight to lug around. I would absolutely NOT get an iPad as a replacement for a laptop in medical school, but if you have the means to purchase both, it could be a great learning tool. I would stray away from the iPad Mini, though, at least for M1-M2.

Thank you very much. I'm thinking about an ultrabook, and from what you say, I feel more comfortable making that purchase. I'll probably wait a while still, anyhow, but I appreciate the input!

Hello all!

I'm new to the site- and it's full of such great info- thank you all! Thanks for the info on the MD/MPH. It's definitely something I am considering pursuing. Have you or someone you know done the combined degree at MSU? I'd be interested to see how the online only degree effects the experience.

I interviewed at MSU last Friday 10/25 and really loved it. If I can answer any questions I'd be happy to.
STATS: Forwarded for review 8/28, II 9/24 Mcat: 31, GPA 3.65, 3.55 OOS but Michigan Native, Nontrad PostBac

For those of you accepted, did you receive the official email today? If I just want to reserve my spot but not give a final decision, would I just pay the 100$ deposit or do I also have to contact MSU?

For those of you accepted, did you receive the official email today? If I just want to reserve my spot but not give a final decision, would I just pay the 100$ deposit or do I also have to contact MSU?
I got the email this morning actually.

So excited! I was complete 10/10 and got my II 10/30 for 11/21! :) From what i understand they don't offerdical student accommodations with medical students but i'm not exactly sure. does anyone know anything on this?
I am an OOS applicant from Florida so Michigan is definitely a bit of a trip for me. does anyone suggest any affordable airlines and hotel stays? or any other good accommodation options?? the advice is really really appreciated!:) this is my first II so i'm extremely excited!

So excited! I was complete 10/10 and got my II 10/30 for 11/21! :) From what i understand they don't offerdical student accommodations with medical students but i'm not exactly sure. does anyone know anything on this?
I am an OOS applicant from Florida so Michigan is definitely a bit of a trip for me. does anyone suggest any affordable airlines and hotel stays? or any other good accommodation options?? the advice is really really appreciated!:) this is my first II so i'm extremely excited!

Is your interview in East Lansing or Grand Rapids?

Grand Rapids. sorry, i should have mentioned that lol

As you have undoubtedly figure out by now, flying into Grand Rapids is hugely expensive. The cheapest flight I found was $900.

I flew into Lansing for $90 on Sun Country and took a ~2 hour Greyhound ride for $10. Very reasonable.

Hey guys, just wanted to say that the interview day was pretty awesome! I was super nervous for the MMI, but it ended up being really fun. Definitely my top choice, so I hope they think I'd be a good fit.

GO GREEN GO WHITE!

Hey guys, just wanted to say that the interview day was pretty awesome! I was super nervous for the MMI, but it ended up being really fun. Definitely my top choice, so I hope they think I'd be a good fit.
Any good questions that you would recommend asking of your student interviewer? Can you give us an idea of the number/type of scenarios we get (i.e. 2 acting stations, 3 ethics station and 2 collaboration stations)? Glad to hear it went well! Did you interview at EL or GR? I'm interviewing at GR on Friday...nervousssss :nailbiting:

Any good questions that you would recommend asking of your student interviewer? Can you give us an idea of the number/type of scenarios we get (i.e. 2 acting stations, 3 ethics station and 2 collaboration stations)? Glad to hear it went well! Did you interview at EL or GR? I'm interviewing at GR on Friday...nervousssss :nailbiting:

I'm not sure what you mean by good questions, as I believe any question you have about the school would be considered a good one. Honestly, I wouldn't fret too much over it (easier said than done, I know). It is definitely a long day, but it goes by rather quickly due to how nice everyone is. For the MMI, this is what I referenced prior to my interview (very good info):

http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/applicants/mmi_faq.php

I interviewed in EL, and as I said, I loved it. The GR campus is new and looked super nice, as well. The biggest piece of advice I feel like I can give is to do your best to be relaxed. Once I relaxed, it made the following interviews that much easier because I could think and speak more clearly. They do a very good job of keeping the stress levels down.

Last edited:
Definitely don't stress the interview, they do a great job of creating a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere. I personally enjoyed the MMI setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview a few days ago for this Thursday! So excited I can't wait! I have a lot of family members (both my parents included) who went to MSU.

Hi guys!

I just got my II invite today and I noticed the dates vary for everyone. Some people have interview dates a few weeks right after the invite, and others vary for up to two months away. Does anyone know the reasoning for this? Does it have anything to do with being IS or OOS applicants?