2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Full ride offer (full tuition + room/board + books, etc for all four years) via phone call just now :eek: NYU is back on my short list. I still can't really process this. What do I DO?!!?!???

Congrats! Graduating debt free would be a dream!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Full ride offer (full tuition + room/board + books, etc for all four years) via phone call just now :eek: NYU is back on my short list. I still can't really process this. What do I DO?!!?!???

If money is important to you, take it!!!! Congrats, that's so exciting! NYU is a great school!

Are you going to make it to revisit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! This is going to be an unbelievably difficult decision to make. I never would have dreamed of having such options :eek: The money is definitely a factor, but I'll have to see what the other financial aid offers shape up to be to make a final decision. I'm still in shock :p

Are you going to make it to revisit?

Yeah -- managed to email for a (very) late RSVP! Just booked my bus tickets for tomorrow :laugh: Will I see you there??

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah -- managed to email for a (very) late RSVP! Just booked my bus tickets for tomorrow :laugh: Will I see you there??

I'll be there, it's going to be a busy/fun weekend. I'm so happy for you. Congrats! :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't heard of that. Even if that's true, you'll be fine with chill students like me barely passing.

Lol kevinus. I remember the Dean saying this on interview day... Does anyone else remember this?

I was invited to an interview for the 3-year MD pathway!

Reactions: 5 users
I think you should go where you'll be most happy. That's something you can't put a price tag on. If you really want to be in the northeast and the opportunities that come with that location, then Quit worrying so much about the loans. You'll be able to pay them back.

For everyone applying to the 3 year program, did you do extensive shadowing in the specialty you put in the tertiary application?

For everyone applying to the 3 year program, did you do extensive shadowing in the specialty you put in the tertiary application?

Shadowing and heavy research.

Extensive shadowing and research with multiple publications

I'm already a practitioner in the specialty I applied to.. I have multiple publications & research. Hoping for an interview..it would be a perfect fit for a non-traditional applicant like me ;) Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear about any waitlist movement by any chance?

I have a general question about the NYU 3 year track. What happens if a student is in a 3 year track for something competitive but gets bad board scores?

I have a general question about the NYU 3 year track. What happens if a student is in a 3 year track for something competitive but gets bad board scores?
It would seem to me like the sort of student selected for the 3-year track in a competitive specialty isn't the sort of person who gets bad board scores. :)

Withdrew today. Was too expensive for me :( Couldn't justify the cost... but an awesome school though!

Will also be withdrawing, can't justify 78k in loans per year. Go Blue!

currently on the wait list and going to withdraw- do I just hit the button on the online portal or is it best to send an email as well? I would LOVE residency here so I don't want to burn bridges!

Yeah, I was rejected last week...
I'm curious to know how many students they interview for each residency spot. I was not the only interviewee on my interview day.

I'm curious to know how many students they interview for each residency spot. I was not the only interviewee on my interview day.

I was the only interviewee for my residency. Just FYI.

Amba post: 15167835 said:
I was the only interviewee for my residency. Just FYI.
On that particular day or altogether?

Just curious… Does anyone have any idea of how having a 3-year MD degree might affect future job prospects, whether it's a full-time job or fellowship program?

I don't think it should be much of (if at all) a deterrent, especially if you've proved yourself during medical school and residency. But then again, I'm not a fellowship director or academic program director… So I'm hoping to hear from some fellow SDNers

As a fellow pre-meder, I can't imagine it being an issue as jobs will look at where you went to residency and potentially fellowship. You will learn all that is necessary in the 3 years since you will only be missing some of the potential electives you could have taken in a normal 4 year track. This is not a problem since you have already decided what type of doctor you want to be. Also, you will have the opportunity to take some electives related to your residency choice before school starts in August. Hope this somewhat helps. Again, take it with a grain of salt since I am just a pre-med lol

Just curious… Does anyone have any idea of how having a 3-year MD degree might affect future job prospects, whether it's a full-time job or fellowship program?

I don't think it should be much of (if at all) a deterrent, especially if you've proved yourself during medical school and residency. But then again, I'm not a fellowship director or academic program director… So I'm hoping to hear from some fellow SDNers
Not at all. You will be CrunchyTeddy MD and that's that.

Withdrawing from NYU! It truly is a wonderful school, and I've been very thankful for the acceptance.

Withdrawing from NYU! It truly is a wonderful school, and I've been very thankful for the acceptance.

I was rooting for you three year program! Where are you heading to?

So other than sending transcripts/accepting financial aid some time in June is there anything else we need to do? Vaccinations or anything of that sort?

I was rooting for you three year program! Where are you heading to?
I'm going to UC Irvine. Staying in my home state. :)

So other than sending transcripts/accepting financial aid some time in June is there anything else we need to do? Vaccinations or anything of that sort?
They haven't sent anything regarding immunizations and screenings. They should be around the corner.

Reactions: 1 users
rejected from 3-year program via email. sadface
my interview seemed to have gone so well too... alas, maybe the honors program will be in my future

Oh my goodness. Just notified of a full-ride offer. Absolutely unbelievable. My decision just became much more challenging.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh my goodness. Just notified of a full-ride offer. Absolutely unbelievable. My decision just became much more challenging.

By "full-ride", do you mean tuition + stipend? If so, that should make your decision very easy. :nod:

By "full-ride", do you mean tuition + stipend? If so, that should make your decision very easy. :nod:

Yeah this is for full tuition & living expenses! I imagine it would not be a good idea to turn that down.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah this is for full tuition & living expenses! I imagine it would not be a good idea to turn that down.

Congrats eleven! What else are you deciding between?

Is it also true that you end up pocketing some money in the end with these NYU scholarships?

Congrats eleven! What else are you deciding between?

Is it also true that you end up pocketing some money in the end with these NYU scholarships?

I'm actually not totally sure how the scholarship works. Though I imagine if you live below the cost of living estimates then you probably have something of a net gain. And here (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/johns-hopkins-v-nyu-with-full-coa-scholarship.1068913/) is a thread if you're curious about my decision-making. Would definitely appreciate advice there!

Anyone off the waitlist here or should I not hope for that?

Did anyone else get an email about holding other acceptances? It said "If you make your final decision prior to May 15, we would be most grateful if you would let us know." Do they also want an email if we decide on NYU or only if we want to withdraw?

Last edited:
Hey guys...new to these forums. I have a question about the submission of update letters.

I submitted my original update letter back in March as a docx. This letter was accepted. I attempted to submit a second update letter tonight as a doc and it wouldn't let me, saying I needed to submit the letter as a pdf. When I attempted to go back and view the docx I submitted in March, I was unable to open it, again despite it originally being accepted.

Have you guys had this problem? Does anyone know if this means that they didn't see the original letter? Any suggestions on courses of action?

Any advice would be appreciated..thanks

Hey guys...new to these forums. I have a question about the submission of update letters.

I submitted my original update letter back in March as a docx. This letter was accepted. I attempted to submit a second update letter tonight as a doc and it wouldn't let me, saying I needed to submit the letter as a pdf. When I attempted to go back and view the docx I submitted in March, I was unable to open it, again despite it originally being accepted.

Have you guys had this problem? Does anyone know if this means that they didn't see the original letter? Any suggestions on courses of action?

Any advice would be appreciated..thanks

had the same issue. Ended up uploading a pdf and it worked just fine. the other update I had submitted originally as a word doc is still on there. I'm guessing they just decided to change the format.

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I decided to submit my original letter again as a pdf with the clarification that I originally submitted it as a doc and did not know if this was the case.

I hope that they just changed the format of the original doc to a pdf and still read it when submitted.

guess it doesn't matter now.

no worries! I think if you want to im/chat the admissions office they would be pretty nice about clarifying:) I HOPE THE WAITLIST MOVES. soon. or at all.