2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Guess I'll be seeing you before Case/CCLCM haha.
Looks like it; congrats on all the interview invites!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
what kinds of things can we add to the additional documents you can upload section?

what kinds of things can we add to the additional documents you can upload section?

I sent an in the area email. I'm assuming it's mostly for update letters like talking about new things you are doing that make you an excellent applicant.

thanks. can you let us know what they say?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking about. What what says?

I sent an in the area email when I received an invitation to a nearby school (8/14) and received an interview invitation on 8/21.

I sent an in the area email. I'm assuming it's mostly for update letters like talking about new things you are doing that make you an excellent applicant.

So you uploaded an in the area request to the additional information section?

So you uploaded an in the area request to the additional information section?

Yup. I originally sent it to the admissions office email account, and they asked me to upload it to my application there.

Did you guys who got IIs use all of the available characters for the secondary essays... I onyl wrote around 1500 chars.... is that ok?

Did you guys who got IIs use all of the available characters for the secondary essays... I onyl wrote around 1500 chars.... is that ok?

If you feel like you fully answered the question, then yes, 1500 characters is fine. Use as much or as little as you need.

Personally, I maxed out almost every essay, but that's just because I had a lot to say.

if you feel like you fully answered the question, then yes, 1500 characters is fine. Use as much or as little as you need.

Personally, i maxed out almost every essay, but that's just because i had a lot to say.

+1

II 8/21/2013
Complete 8/10/2013

34 S
3.98 sGPA

Canadian applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if NYU looks at applications in order of completion? and how are they in revisiting passed over apps (i.e. is it a soft rejection if your complete date is passed over?)?

thanks

Does anyone with interviews know how student hosting works or if there even is that option?

Does anyone with interviews know how student hosting works or if there even is that option?

Yeah it is. You email a generic hosting list email account and they respond like a week later with contact details for your host.

What Amba said.
Also, they make it really easy. In the email, you get the host's contact info. I promptly emailed the host and have already more or less nailed down the logistics. Well done, NYU.

What is this email account? I don't think I ever got any information about it. Thanks!

Yeah it is. You email a generic hosting list email account and they respond like a week later with contact details for your host.

Has anyone else submitted the secondary and without the tertiary and have an incomplete status? I submitted my secondary, left the tertiary blank and now my application file isn't considered incomplete (there's a red light instead of green next to tertiary). will NYU still review my file? is this normal? :cry:

It is completely normal. You will be marked complete shortly. The tertiary app should have no bearing on your complete status. You're fine!

It is completely normal. You will be marked complete shortly. The tertiary app should have no bearing on your complete status. You're fine!
+1
Don't worry, you're all set.
(In fact, you must first be accepted before you can apply to the 3 year program.)

It's not an email account. It's a list of contact info of student hosts.

No it is an email account. It's a generic student hosting email address that shows up in your interview tab. You email them, they set you up with someone and then you contact that person.

No it is an email account. It's a generic student hosting email address that shows up in your interview tab. You email them, they set you up with someone and then you contact that person.
I definitely misspoke: they don't give you a list of contacts, they allow you to send an email to a generic email address that handles student housing. In response to your inquiry, they provide contact info for a student host.

What do people usually do to thank their student hosts?

Does anybody know which days NYU does interviews? I would love to send an in the area email, but I only have one free day in NYC.

Does anybody know which days NYU does interviews? I would love to send an in the area email, but I only have one free day in NYC.

Mondays through Thursdays, but the Mondays get taken fast.

Hi could anyone help answer a few questions I have about filling out the courses on page 2 of the secondary application?

1) Since I have taken both the intro and upper level biology courses. Do they want me to list all of them or just 2 of them?

2) Why is there a question mark after the word "Lab" underneath where we type in the course?

Thanks in advance!

on the status page it says we will be notified 4-6 weeks after submitting the secondary informing that we are complete and under review. is that different than the one that says that they have received all the forms and credentials necessary?

Is the 2500 character limit with or without spaces?

Would you consider NYU to be research heavy?

i submitted like 5 weeks ago and im still not complete....considering calling them cause idk why its taking so long =/

i submitted like 5 weeks ago and im still not complete....considering calling them cause idk why its taking so long =/

The website says "Applicants are informed of their status via email. You can expect an email 4-6 weeks after you submit your secondary application notifying you if your application is complete and under review" so maybe contact them after another week.

Just sent them an in the area email. Here's to being hopeful!

Does NYU prescreen before sending out secondary? My primary was verified around 20th of August and I haven't heard anything from them. My stats are definitely in their range.

Does NYU prescreen before sending out secondary? My primary was verified around 20th of August and I haven't heard anything from them. My stats are definitely in their range.
No, they are just slow :)

That's odd I got mine within 12 hours of verification. You could try calling the admissions office tomorrow to see if something went wrong.

just submitted my secondary TT i hope im not too late.

The website says "Applicants are informed of their status via email. You can expect an email 4-6 weeks after you submit your secondary application notifying you if your application is complete and under review" so maybe contact them after another week.

is the complete email
"This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken."

because i got that like right after i submitted

is the complete email
"This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken."

because i got that like right after i submitted

Strange, I submitted everything several weeks ago and didn't receive anything.

I never got a complete email but about a week after I submitted the secondary, the status page itself said my application was complete.

NYU is pretty slow with the II's, eh? None reported on SDN since that little surge in August