2013-2014 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro is declining a DO acceptance as big of a death sentence when trying to reapply DO as it is with declining an MD acceptance and reapplying MD?

All my committee letter stuff is due in a few days. I'm accepted to a DO school but I'm gonna request a new committee letter in case I decide to give MD one more go. I just didn't feel that same excitement about the DO schools as I did with the MD ones I interviewed at, and it's tough being so close to what I really want.

20 MD secondaries completed
5 interviews
3 waitlists
1 post-interview hold
1 decision pending (almost certain this will be a waitlist)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
18 schools
3 II
2 waitlists
1 defer likely to become waitlist.

More waiting and praying!
they defer you or you defer them? It is the former rather than the latter, correct?

Congrats! I can imagine how relieved you must be. What would you say you did differently this time around?
I did just about everything wrong the first time. This time I applied much earlier, put more time in my PS/essays, added shadowing and non-clinical volunteering (had none the first cycle), had more research (had about a month last cycle), and prepared more for interviews

Reactions: 1 user
I did just about everything wrong the first time. This time I applied much earlier, put more time in my PS/essays, added shadowing and non-clinical volunteering (had none the first cycle), had more research (had about a month last cycle), and prepared more for interviews
Congrats! You deserve it

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! Now you can finally chillax, bro ;)

Reactions: 5 users
PANIC PANIC PANIC. I need a panic button. A really really big panic button. This waiting is killing me.

Ok. I feel better now...

It can happen before as people withdraw their acceptances close to 15th of May
Admissions deans have figured out the excess number of acceptances needed to get to the waitlist fashionably late without over enrolling.

Admissions deans have figured out the excess number of acceptances needed to get to the waitlist fashionably late without over enrolling.

I guess you are right in general. I can only speak for a school I am waiting on. historically that school always accepted people right before may 15th.

I guess you are right in general. I can only speak for a school I am waiting on. historically that school always accepted people right before may 15th.
And their dean will be healthier and happier if they let him do this!
We should all be so lucky.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if adcoms get super nervous if they have an anomalous year where very few people turn down acceptances and they are over-enrolled into the summer.
It happens every year to at least one school. Very embarassing.

It happens every year to at least one school. Very embarassing.

Yeah I'm actually very curious about this, what does the school do if they have say, 30-40 more students than they can take?

Yeah I'm actually very curious about this, what does the school do if they have say, 30-40 more students than they can take?
First, you send a lovely email reminding everyone about all the great opportunities that a year's deferral might bring.
Next, you offer discounted Master's degree's for the upcoming year.
Simultaneously, you start reconfiguring existing space for the worst case scenario.
Finally, you begin offering tuition reductions to anyone willing to defer.
It gets ugly after that...
Being an admissions dean would be a cake walk if it weren't for this nightmare.
It's hard to imagine I'll generate much sympathy for them on the panic thread, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 14 users
First, you send a lovely email reminding everyone about all the great opportunities that a year's deferral might bring.
Next, you offer discounted Master's degree's for the upcoming year.
Simultaneously, you start reconfiguring existing space for the worst case scenario.
Finally, you begin offering tuition reductions to anyone willing to defer.
It gets ugly after that...
Being an admissions dean would be a cake walk if it weren't for this nightmare.
It's hard to imagine I'll generate much sympathy for them on the panic thread, though!

This! I think we have all been bent over enough by them to not loose sleep over them over accepting, especially when those acceptances didn't include us...

There was a school a year or two ago that offered a cash payout or a partial scholarship for those willing to defer a year.

They HAVE to seat them, and the school has to eat the tuition. Hence, you can see the ecomomic incentives the school has to offer to avoid a complete loss on a seat.

They HAVE to seat them, and the school has to eat the tuition. Hence, you can see the ecomomic incentives the school has to offer to avoid a complete loss on a seat.

Very interesting! How does that work? Don't all students pay the same tuition and so the schools will have more money? If some students don't have to pay, how would they even choose who and why aren't schools allowed to just collect the extra seats tuition?

Very interesting! How does that work? Don't all students pay the same tuition and so the schools will have more money? If some students don't have to pay, how would they even choose who and why aren't schools allowed to just collect the extra seats tuition?
The school pays for a year's tuition for them not to come that year.
Like when the airline overbooks..

Pay attention. The school has to eat the tuition. That means the overbooked studenta get a free ride. Capeesh? Each school is limited by their accrediting body to a specific number of seats...otherwise, there'd be 10,000 seat medical schools. Would make for an interesting anatomy lab.

This should be the official theme song of this thread.

Take a listen. So True:

Pay attention. The school has to eat the tuition. That means the overbooked studenta get a free ride. Capeesh? Each school is limited by their accrediting body to a specific number of seats...otherwise, there'd be 10,000 seat medical schools. Would make for an interesting anatomy lab.

How does med school decide who gets the free seat? Or does everyone pay a couple thousand less? I would love to win that over accepted lottery...

How does med school decide who gets the free seat? Or does everyone pay a couple thousand less? I would love to win that over accepted lottery...
Each school does whatever they want to do in this situation. People will often volunteer if they waive 1, 2, 3, or 4 years of tuition. I have seen som waive 2 years, and it is a mess because it makes the next year more competitive.

So AMCAS 2015 opened yesterday.... I'm still on 2 WL and waiting on 1 post-interview decision so I have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get in this cycle.... WHYYYYY

Reactions: 2 users
So AMCAS 2015 opened yesterday.... I'm still on 2 WL and waiting on 1 post-interview decision so I have no idea what I'm going to do if I don't get in this cycle.... WHYYYYY

Im sorry buddy. Im in a similar boat. I think you should gear up for reapplication ASAP just in case it doesn't work out this cycle.

As a reapplicant it sucks major balls and I've been there so I know how it feels. So if you guys want any type of advice feel free to ask!

As a reapplicant it sucks major balls and I've been there so I know how it feels. So if you guys want any type of advice feel free to ask!

While being a re-applicant bummed me out for a week, after that week was over it was about the same as being an applicant. So YMMV.

I am also willing to offer advice to anyone facing down that particular path. Again.

I was so skeptical of the "it only takes one" mindset.

But IT REALLY ONLY TAKES ONE. Got my one and only acceptance! I couldn't have stayed sane through this torturous process without you guys!!

Best wishes, and I'm crossing my fingers for everyone!

Reactions: 23 users

But IT REALLY ONLY TAKES ONE. Got my one and only acceptance! I couldn't have stayed sane through this torturous process without you guys!!

Congratulations! Really happy for you :)

I got my first acceptance (off a waitlist) today as well! I was losing my mind thinking how I wasn't going to come off even 1 out of 7 waitlists, but it is all over now! I haven't posted much in this thread, but I've read a lot of the posts, so hang in there everyone! I'm rooting for all of you now! Don't lose hope!!!

Reactions: 14 users

I got my first acceptance (off a waitlist) today as well! I was losing my mind thinking how I wasn't going to come off even 1 out of 7 waitlists, but it is all over now! I haven't posted much in this thread, but I've read a lot of the posts, so hang in there everyone! I'm rooting for all of you now! Don't lose hope!!!

:clap: Congrats guys. It's a great feeling. :D

Congrats guys!! Glad to hear the good news coming in :)

I'm glad it is moving for someone. I am still sitting on my two.

I cannot realistically apply for a fourth round even though I am doing better every round.

I finally got my first acceptance after sitting on waitlists all spring.

Hang in there everybody that is still in waitlist limbo. Stay strong, there are still lots of acceptances to go around!

Reactions: 10 users

I finally got my first acceptance after sitting on waitlists all spring.

Hang in there everybody that is still in waitlist limbo. Stay strong, there are still lots of acceptances to go around!

CONGRATS y'all! Really happy to hear waitlists are moving even before May 15th. Must be an amazing feeling to get that acceptance - hope you guys are celebrating!! Hoping for mine sometime soon :/

Congratulations to everyone accepted off of waitlists! Like nyc1990 above, I'm also really happy to hear that waitlists have started moving (It seems like there's going to be much waitlist movement at quite a few schools this year). Also hoping to get off of one of my two waitlists.

Good luck future doctors!

Congratulations to everyone accepted off of waitlists! Like nyc1990 above, I'm also really happy to hear that waitlists have started moving (It seems like there's going to be much waitlist movement at quite a few schools this year). Also hoping to get off of one of my two waitlists.

Good luck future doctors!
I'm glad you're optimistic, but this is just a stab in the dark