2013- 2014 PGY1 residency applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you submit more than once? YES.
In order to e-submit you can only submit to the programs you are planning to send your application to at the moment you hit the submit button. If any part of your app for another program is incomplete you should not put that program on your list of designated programs (in fact PhORCAS won't allow you to submit anything when a designated program is missing application components- you'd get an error).
When you have completed the requirements for other programs you can always go into PhORCAS, add the desired programs, and submit. At this point the button will no longer say e-submit, it will say "pay now". In this way you are able to stagger your submissions in whatever way you choose.

Can you edit your application after is has been sent? Technically YES.
There is an edit button that appears next to programs after you've submitted and by all appearances you can change components of your applications to an extent (i.e you can replace things but not delete them completely). The concern using that feature is 1- we don't know if the programs can even see the changes we make 2- if the program looks at it one day, then you change it, if they look another day and see those changes it could annoy them.
Also, remember, when you submit you agree that you will NOT make changes to your application after submission. Just something to keep in mind.

Is there a way to know the status of your application? Only for payment.
The only status I am aware of is the status of your payment to PhORCAS, which you can see under the status tab. As for the status of your application the only way you will know is through direct information from the specific program. Anyone with more info can certainly chime in on this one..

Side note: checked my transcripts and they are up. Seems like PhORCAS is working overtime.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am still unclear on this as well. From my discussion with PhORCAS representatives, I believe our application is a "moving target" to a degree. I think that whenever they happen to access our application to download/print our materials, whatever is in there at the time is what they see. I changed 3 letters of intent as well as my CV for all programs and I know at least 2 of my 7 programs have my complete application with these new materials. Can anyone clarify further?

Why would the give us the ability to change materials if it were prohibited?

Last edited:
I am still unclear on this as well. From my discussion with PhORCAS representatives, I believe our application is a "moving target" to a degree. I think that whenever they happen to access our application to download/print our materials, whatever is in there at the time is what they see. I changed 3 letters of intent as well as my CV for all programs and I know at least 2 of my 7 programs have my complete application with these new materials. Can anyone clarify further?

Why would the give us the ability to change materials if it were prohibited?

I asked them about this. What they told me was that until your transcripts and all your letters of rec attached to that program are in, it is not officially 'submitted' according to PhORCAS. Therefore, you can change it. Once everything is in, you can no longer change it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked them about this. What they told me was that until your transcripts and all your letters of rec attached to that program are in, it is not officially 'submitted' according to PhORCAS. Therefore, you can change it. Once everything is in, you can no longer change it.

I see, so programs have access to your application at that point but things are not "final" until it is complete? My application is complete but it still allows me to edit...

I see, so programs have access to your application at that point but things are not "final" until it is complete? My application is complete but it still allows me to edit...
You can edit the materials. When you click save, it's also changed on the program's end. You just select something different in the drop down menu.

This is inaccurate because people on this site who are affiliated with programs have said that once you submit your application will go into one of two categories in their system- pending (when you are missing information like LOR or transcripts) or complete (when all the application components are completed). So yes it's been submitted it's just not complete. Additionally, my application has the transcripts, LORs, and all my attached information and I am still able to edit things, leading me to believe there is no "final" stage of submission where you are unable to edit your application.

You are correct though, there is an edit button that either shouldn't be there or they shouldn't tell us we can't edit things after submitting.

Last edited:
This is inaccurate because people on this site who are affiliated with programs have said that once you submit your application will go into one of two categories in their system- pending (when you are missing information like LOR or transcripts) or complete (when all the application components are completed). So yes it's been submitted it's just not complete. Additionally, my application has the transcripts, LORs, and all my attached information and I am still able to edit things, leading me to believe there is no "final" stage of submission where you are unable to edit your application.

As to the other point made, programs shouldn't have any access to your application until you hit the submit button, otherwise they wouldn't know which information is the correct information and if you change your mind about a program, that would have been a waste of time for them to look at. You are correct though, there is an edit button that either shouldn't be there or they shouldn't tell us we can't edit things after submitting.

Essentially, there has been no change on the "designations" page before yesterday where I was missing 7/21 LOR to last night and today where all my LOR are submitted. Two programs have told me that the application is 100% complete, and technically I can still edit.

Essentially, there has been no change on the "designations" page before yesterday where I was missing 7/21 LOR to last night and today where all my LOR are submitted. Two programs have told me that the application is 100% complete, and technically I can still edit.

Exactly. I have all my stuff in and can still edit even though the application is complete. So I don't think there is a time that edit button ever goes away. If there is, it's not based on whether your application is complete or not.

I shouldn't have quoted you originally. Your statement was correct just not the preceeding statement.

Exactly. I have all my stuff in and can still edit even though the application is complete. So I don't think there is a time that edit button ever goes away. If there is, it's not based on whether your application is complete or not.

I shouldn't have quoted you originally. Your statement was correct just not the preceeding statement.

Then I have no idea. I called and asked, and that's what PhORCAS told me, so...

Sigh, I think I'm going miss the deadline for a couple of programs I planned on applying to. One of my letter writers haven't even started, and it's past the date I told them I planned to submit. I don't know what else to do since I already brought it up with them.

I feel your pain : ( gave my preceptor 2 months for the letter, he was enthusiastic and gave me no reason to not ask him to write it... emailed him 1 week before deadline with friendly reminder, and then today...no response at all. Not sure what to do at this point. I assume programs won't even consider me if my LOR isn't in by the deadline?

I feel your pain : ( gave my preceptor 2 months for the letter, he was enthusiastic and gave me no reason to not ask him to write it... emailed him 1 week before deadline with friendly reminder, and then today...no response at all. Not sure what to do at this point. I assume programs won't even consider me if my LOR isn't in by the deadline?

When's your deadline? Did you already submit? I guess it's up to the program if you've submitted and they have all your references except for one. They can decide you didn't meet the deadline or see that everything was in on time except for that one letter. I hope the latter is the case for you. I guess if I was a program, I'd be understanding since you have no control of when a reference writer will submit. I was luckily able to get everything including all my letters in on time. My advice for the people applying next year is to ask more than the required 3 people. I did that last year, so I had all no problems with that. I should have done that this year.

Last year I had transcript issues (because we had to submit every transcript post high school which was an unbelievable pain especially since I have gotten married and changed my name) and some of them got screwed up and were in late. It wasn't a problem with getting interview invites. I'm not sure about LOR, but I would think the program would cut you a break on that...assuming of course that it gets in soon.

EDIT: only one of my transcripts posted- from an undergrad institution.

It took more than 10 days.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got everything submitted. All my references and everything included. Just waiting for interviews now. Good luck to all of you. :)

We aren't extending our deadline. You should still be able to submit your application by the deadline. We can see the rest of the application and that you are just waiting for a transcript.

We don't fault the candidate, but you must submit everything in your control by the deadline (application, Letter of intent, CV)...

We aren't extending our deadline. You should still be able to submit your application by the deadline. We can see the rest of the application and that you are just waiting for a transcript.

We don't fault the candidate, but you must submit everything in your control by the deadline (application, Letter of intent, CV)...

Unexpectedly I got the first interview offer on next Friday. Haven't heard anything from any other programs though

Where did you get that information?

I don't see why they'd have to if they can see everything else.
I was contacted from a specific program via email saying they extended their deadline. I had already submitted everything though. They sent it after the original deadline

I was contacted from a specific program via email saying they extended their deadline. I had already submitted everything though. They sent it after the original deadline

n=1, does not mean "most programs"

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you get that information?

I don't see why they'd have to if they can see everything else.

My apologies, I should have been more clear. I meant that most programs will accept transcripts after the deadline. Of course, all materials directly in the applicant's control are still due at the deadline.

Does programs usually email you saying your application is under review?

Should you email them saying you looking forward to hear from them?

Unexpectedly I got the first interview offer on next Friday. Haven't heard anything from any other programs though

Mind sharing some of your stats? And/Or your relationship with the site?
I'm wondering if being an amazing candidate or having a prior relationship with the institution will make them reach out to you much sooner than they would otherwise.

Mind sharing some of your stats? And/Or your relationship with the site?
I'm wondering if being an amazing candidate or having a prior relationship with the institution will make them reach out to you much sooner than they would otherwise.

I don't think stats has anything with it, maybe I am wrong though.

Here is the stats (no relationship with the site at all):

Graduated 05/2012
GPA 3.8
Publication in Pharmacotherapy
Midyear Poster
Some leadership stuff in school
1 1/2 year of pharmacist hospital experience + 3 years of intern experience in a hospital

Does programs usually email you saying your application is under review?

Should you email them saying you looking forward to hear from them?
I'm not sure about the "under review" status. I just assume, ok all my stuff is in PhorCAS, I paid, they should be reviewing it.

No need to email either imo. You probably said that in your LOI and on the basis that you submitted your application they know you wanna hear back haha

I'm not sure about the "under review" status. I just assume, ok all my stuff is in PhorCAS, I paid, they should be reviewing it.

No need to email either imo. You probably said that in your LOI and on the basis that you submitted your application they know you wanna hear back haha

agreed. I would definitely NOT e-mail them. They likely have 80-100+ apps to go through and I would not want to stand out by sending an e-mail to a busy/tired program director asking that question. However, two programs contacted me to let me know they had all my materials, one of which I interviewed with at PPS.

I would not email programs. If you submitted your stuff, they have it. You'll hear from them either way.

In other news, I got my first interview! Now, I'm checking my email constantly for more interviews. :p

I don't think stats has anything with it, maybe I am wrong though.

Here is the stats (no relationship with the site at all):

Graduated 05/2012
GPA 3.8
Publication in Pharmacotherapy
Midyear Poster
Some leadership stuff in school
1 1/2 year of pharmacist hospital experience + 3 years of intern experience in a hospital

What do you think it has to do with?
An interview for next Friday is awesome no matter what, so congratulations and best of luck!

I would not email programs. If you submitted your stuff, they have it. You'll hear from them either way.

In other news, I got my first interview! Now, I'm checking my email constantly for more interviews. :p
Congratulations!

some of my friends are starting to get offers and I have still heard nothing. It's starting to get tough being patient, especially going into the weekend!

We still have time on our side but I totally feel ya!
What part of the country did you apply within?

Last edited:
Don't email the programs! There's too much to go through now (and we get enough emails already without unnecessary ones from applicants!) and we don't have time to read them.

I know here we are shooting to start sending out invites about 7-10 days after the application deadline. I don't think the director has even starting looking at apps and our main coordinator is on vacation (probably to rest up before interview season!)

Don't email them! You know they go it because Phorcas tells you!

woo! rejected by a reach, but also got a date with my top choice, which is also a reach! i will take it.

Our interview deadline is just under 2 weeks after the submission deadline. Please don't email the program!

Out of curiosity - did anyone apply for the PGY-1 at Naval Medical Center San Diego?

It is not necessarily true if you submitted your app that your programs can see it. Recently there was a glitch in the PhORCAS system where some programs were unable to see all of their applicants, fortunately this has been rectified per PhORCAS staff.
On another note, first two invites for my top programs and one rejection from BJH. I'll take 2/3 though!

Never heard of a glitch in the system on the program's side and I have been working with Phorcas the last 2 years. Most of the issues we've has is with Phorcas being slow to upload transcripts.

This came directly from PhORCAS and two programs in my area, not speculation.

Never heard of a glitch in the system on the program's side and I have been working with Phorcas the last 2 years. Most of the issues we've has is with Phorcas being slow to upload transcripts.

I also got an email from a local program stating that they have not been able to see all participants.

... how do places know that they can't see all the applicants? I mean, if they can't see them, wouldn't it stand to reason they wouldn't know about them?

Phorcas has emailed programs about glitches in the past and this is one I have not heard of. We had problems downloading one applicant's information, but we could see that she had applied because she was in our completed applicant pool.