2013- 2014 PGY1 residency applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of curiosity - did anyone apply for the PGY-1 at Naval Medical Center San Diego?
Just saw this, yes I did (for 2014-2015)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone going to take the BCPS exam this fall? I'm debating, and I need to decide quickly. I really would like to take it this fall and get it over with, but I'm so busy at the moment, I don't know how I'm going to fit in studying. I already feel behind because I haven't started yet and still debating if I should wait until fall 2015.

I'll def be taking it. Former residents at my site studied after residency and they all passed

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be extra dumb but I really needed all of that study time and am glad I waited awhile (2 years). Just remember as soon as you are certified you have to start writing big checks and doing PSAPs.

I might be extra dumb but I really needed all of that study time and am glad I waited awhile (2 years). Just remember as soon as you are certified you have to start writing big checks and doing PSAPs.

That's how I feel. I think I need as much time as I can to study. I need to come up with a 2 year study plan. lol

That's how I feel. I think I need as much time as I can to study. I need to come up with a 2 year study plan. lol

So I finished PGY1 and practiced for one year before I took this exam - I am glad that I did it this way. First of all, most residencies are stressful even PGY2 (difficulty and time commitment depends on the area of program and hospital's practice model). Studying for this exam while being in the midst of rotations and completing never ending projects is ridiculous! Another year of residency or practice will give you more experience and more clinical knowledge so the test should be a little easier at that point. Keep in mind that most hospitals will not base their hiring decision on BCPS especially if you have PGY2 under your belt (it's a different story with just PGY1 - BCPS is highly desirable in order to differentiate yourself). Final point, the preparation, test, and maintaining the license is extremely expensive. Many respectable institutions will pay for your certification and sometimes preparation materials. So my advice is wait, get more experience, and hopefully have employer pay for some of the expenses. There is no rush - you will have to do PSAPs for the rest of your life after obtaining the four letters behind your name so you might as well just wait!

So I finished PGY1 and practiced for one year before I took this exam - I am glad that I did it this way. First of all, most residencies are stressful even PGY2 (difficulty and time commitment depends on the area of program and hospital's practice model). Studying for this exam while being in the midst of rotations and completing never ending projects is ridiculous! Another year of residency or practice will give you more experience and more clinical knowledge so the test should be a little easier at that point. Keep in mind that most hospitals will not base their hiring decision on BCPS especially if you have PGY2 under your belt (it's a different story with just PGY1 - BCPS is highly desirable in order to differentiate yourself). Final point, the preparation, test, and maintaining the license is extremely expensive. Many respectable institutions will pay for your certification and sometimes preparation materials. So my advice is wait, get more experience, and hopefully have employer pay for some of the expenses. There is no rush - you will have to do PSAPs for the rest of your life after obtaining the four letters behind your name so you might as well just wait!

Thank you so much for the advice! That makes complete sense, and if I can get someone else to pay for it, that's always a win in my book as well. I dunno, I think I've been beating myself up to follow this timeline and get all my ducks in a row, but I really would feel more comfortable getting that experience under my belt then taking the test.

Thank you so much for the advice! That makes complete sense, and if I can get someone else to pay for it, that's always a win in my book as well. I dunno, I think I've been beating myself up to follow this timeline and get all my ducks in a row, but I really would feel more comfortable getting that experience under my belt then taking the test.

I'm planning on waiting too. I have ZERO time to do anything right now so there's no way I could effectively start studying. Plus I'm definitely hoping a job will help pay for it.