2013-2014 PhD Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmith101285

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that it may be good to hear the background of everyone that has accepted an offer; GPA, GRE, POI, what schools interviewed you, and where you have relinquished other offers. May help us all keep a handle on what is happening next.

Clinical Psychology PhD

Drexel University
Florida State University
Palo Alto University
Penn State University
Purdue University
Sam Houston State University
Southern Methodist University
Texas A&M University
University of Delaware
University of Houston
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
University of Indiana-Bloomington
University of Kansas
University of Louisville
University of Memphis
University of Miami

Clinical Psychology PsyD

Chestnut Hill
Antioch New England
Widener

Counseling Psychology PhD

Loyola University-Chicago
Oklahoma State University
University of Florida
University of Indiana
University of Louisville
University of Nebraska
University of Northern Colorado
University of Oregon
University of Southern Mississippi
University of Texas
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Washington State University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Considering offers do not have to be accepted until April 15th, this can be a place for people to post all offers as they come, correct? I think that's the main thing people are concerned with now; hearing back from programs after their interviews. It would also be nice if you got wait-listed somewhere, to be able to gauge the chance that the individual receiving the initial offer will turn it down.

I received an offer from Antioch New England's PsyD program, plus a fellowship for $5k for the first two years. Not much, but also nothing to sneeze at!

I am also interviewing at Widener, Roosevelt, Wright Institute, & Pacific. I was rejected by Loyola Maryland and am still waiting to hear from PGSP-Stanford, University of Denver, Rutgers, and GWU.

My undergrad GPA (including some post-bac psych courses I took) was 3.4. My GREs (old system) are 780 verbal, 690 math, 5.5 analytical writing, and 670 psych subject test. I am a non-traditional student in that I was a Film major undergrad, spent 5+ years working as a documentary editor before making the switch, taking psych courses, working in a mother-infant communication lab as a research assistant and at a community mental health center as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

EDIT: Rejected from University of Denver, and got an interview date for GWU.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Louisville
Counseling Psychology PhD
Acceptance via Phone on January 28th
GRE: 160 Verbal, 162 Quantitative, 4.0 Writing
GPA: 3.93, Major GPA (Psychology): 4.00

Still have some interviews to attend

Reactions: 4 users
I was also accepted to Antioch PsyD

interviews at U Indy and U Hartford...

Undergrad GPA: 3.9, GRE: verbal 156 quan 159 writing 5.0, Subject GRE: 640

Also 2+ years experience in a domestic violence transitional housing setting doing crisis intervention work

I received an offer from Antioch New England's PsyD program, plus a fellowship for $5k for the first two years. Not much, but also nothing to sneeze at!

I am also interviewing at Widener, Roosevelt, Wright Institute, & Pacific. I was rejected by Loyola Maryland and am still waiting to hear from PGSP-Stanford, University of Denver, Rutgers, and GWU.

My undergrad GPA (including so post-bac psych courses I took) was 3.4. My GREs (old system) are 780 verbal, 690 math, 5.5 analytical writing, and 670 psych subject test. I am a non-traditional student in that I was a Film major undergrad, spent 5+ years working as a documentary editor before making the switch, taking psych courses, working in a mother-infant communication lab as a research assistant and at a community mental health center as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Congrats! PRETTY SURE you were in my group for the group interview at Antioch! I was the girl from VA that couldn't believe you drive over that bridge in NY everyday

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! PRETTY SURE you were in my group for the group interview at Antioch! I was the girl from VA that couldn't believe you drive over that bridge in NY everyday

Yes, I remember you! But not because you were stunned by driving in NYC (everyone is), but because of your domestic violence work. Looks like we'll possibly be classmates in the fall! :)

Accepted to Penn State's clinical psych phd program.
GPA: 3.98, Verbal: 167, Quant:160, Writing: 4.5, Psych GRE: 770

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted into the University of Delaware and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
GPA: 3.92, Verbal: 165, Quant: 160, Writing: 5

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to Unovelty of Houston clinical neuropsych phd. GPA: 3.36 Verbal: 160 quant: 161

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to Southern Methodist University Clinical Psychology Program. GRE: 161 M and 161 V, GPA 3.85.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to Chestnut Hill's PsyD program. Still waiting for a few more interviews.
GRE: 164V and 163M 4.5W 3.87GPA

I thought that it may be good to hear the background of everyone that has accepted an offer; GPA, GRE, POI, what schools interviewed you, and where you have relinquished other offers. May help us all keep a handle on what is happening next.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sam Houston State University Clinical Psych Ph.D. program. DCT called this morning with admissions offer and stipend. I will most likely be accepting the offer because I loved the program! If anyone else has heard from them, feel free to PM me so we can chat! Good luck everyone! Oh, my GPA is 3.8 UG and 4.0 Grad. and GRE was not that great, 157v and 151q; 720 psych with a little over a year of research experience that I think helped me out.

If you all don't mind, I will post some of them that I have been able to confirm outside of this thread as well. I won't just post things that I find on GradCafe, but ones where I have talked to someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm probably over thinking this, but...if you receive an offer over the phone and don't want to accept on the spot (even though you'll most likely accept that offer, but just need a couple of days to process), what do you say to the POI or DCT on that phone conversation? If you say something wrong/don't show enough enthusiasm about the offer, can they withdraw it (this would be before they send out formal written offer). thanks

I'm probably over thinking this, but...if you receive an offer over the phone and don't want to accept on the spot (even though you'll most likely accept that offer, but just need a couple of days to process), what do you say to the POI or DCT on that phone conversation? If you say something wrong/don't show enough enthusiasm about the offer, can they withdraw it (this would be before they send out formal written offer). thanks

I would say something along the lines of "I'm so happy to be offered admission to this program; it's been one of my top choices since I started the application process. I look forward to reviewing the formal written offer once it arrives."

I said something very similar to the above post, and told the DCT to expect an email from me indicating that I will accept the offer soon, but that this program has been my top choice from the beginning and I also believe it is the best fit for me. He did say that he would need to know if I planned on rejecting so they could offer the spot to the next person, but I have every intention to accept. I just want to see the official offer and to take a few days to breathe and inform my mentor.

Accepted to the University of Kansas clinical PhD program via phone call from POI.

Very, very happy :). Feel free to pm for specific info.

Accepted to Purdue University clinical psychology PhD program.

Super happy about it!

Accepted to:
University of Wisconsin-Madison Counseling Psych
Loyola Chicago Counseling Psych

Message for specifics. Also, if you know anything about either of these programs, please message me as well. I'm torn between the two.

Accepted to:
University of Wisconsin-Madison Counseling Psych
Loyola Chicago Counseling Psych

Message for specifics. Also, if you know anything about either of these programs, please message me as well. I'm torn between the two.
I don't know specifics about the programs, but I have heard GREAT things about the one at Madison. And I can tell you that Madison is a WONDERFUL town. Close to Chicago, quite a bit cheaper, but really a great place to live.

Can anyone claim the acceptance at Michigan State University on TGC? I would love to know you your POI is. Thanks!

Just got accepted to Memphis. I am beyond excited for this. It was one of my top choices for sure! Let me know if you got an offer too!

This thread is missing many of the posted acceptances on Grad Cafe. Be sure to check there which people seem to switch to to post acceptances and rejections.

Got accepted today:
Indiana University - Bloomington
Clinical Psychology

Excellent program. I've worked with a number of grads and they were all very well trained (strong foundation in research training and also well informed clinicians).
That's great to hear; I appreciate the insight. I was quite impressed by both the faculty and current graduate students during my visit.

Just got accepted to the University of Miami Clinical Psychology program. So excited!

That's great to hear; I appreciate the insight. I was quite impressed by both the faculty and current graduate students during my visit.

A former colleague of mine trained under Dr. Ingram and I know Dr. Ilardi, both have very (research) productive labs that foster balanced training of clinicians. I'm not sure how much of Lawrence you were able to see if/when you visited, but it's a cute college town with a bunch of mom & pop dining options (including at least one brewery that makes some quality beers). In my travels out there I never got to catch a basketball game, but it is one of the best places to catch a game in the country.

Last edited:
Accepted to Florida State University's Clinical PhD program. :)
GRE: 162V, 164Q, GPA: 4.00

Has anyone else that interviewed at Kansas heard anything? My nerves are getting the best of me!

Would anyone be willing to claim the acceptance post for SUNY binghamton on the gradcafe?

Has anyone heard back from Virginia Consortium? They said they would send acceptances out last week, so I'm assuming its bad news.

I was just accepted to Oklahoma State University for the Counseling Psychology, Ph.D program as a post-Bachelors .

I interviewed with University of California Santa Barbara (Counseling Psychology, Ph.D) but I am still waiting to hear back from them.
I have 2 up-coming interviews with Teachers College and University of Missouri Kansas City, both for Counseling Psychology, Ph.D.

omgosh congratulations! would you mind pm me tour POI

Same here. Would the person accepted to U of L Clinical Psych who is intending to accept also PM me the POI, or if this information is received by someone who requested can you let me know? I am still waiting to hear back from them and would like to gauge where I stand.

Received a phone call today from DCT of Drexel University with a verbal offer, he will be writing an official letter soon with funding information. I will most likely accept the offer, as it has been my top choice from the beginning. :soexcited:

Congrats on Drexel!!

Do you know when they will notify people who interviewed on 2/17? I am wondering if it is today... my anxiety is killing me!

Do you know when they will notify people who interviewed on 2/17? I am wondering if it is today... my anxiety is killing me![/quote]

Fallen, if I am not mistaken, those that were recently accepted, applied and interviewed for the JD/PhD track (and I think there was only one interview weekend for the track), so there may be hope for all of us waiting to hear from other labs that interviewed both weekends. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
If anyone else hears from University of Louisville clinical psychology please let me know (and I will do so too). I am still waiting to hear from them and have my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Looks like it was only that POI. I haven't heard anything either.

Correction... I got accepted to Miami University not University of Miami... I got a little excited and misread the original post. :)
Congrats!!
Aaminne would you mind PMing the POI you got an offer from and if you plan on accepting?

I got accepted to the UCSD/SDSU JDP program!! I accepted on the spot. Sooo excited! :)