2013-2014 Psychiatry Interview Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think having a sticky with only resident-written reviews is a splendid idea as long as all the reviews conform to a standard structure and the questions probing for the negatives are not answered with disguised positives like how we answer the "what are your weaknesses" question at the interviews.

It would, however, be best to leave out the subjective questions entirely as most residents are invariably going to say that their attendings and the didactics are "top-notch", for example. It may not be vested interest entirely but most residents have little else to compare. If any of those are obviously bad however, they can definitely mention it in the negatives.

The questions could cover everything that are semi-objective to objective, everything from the minor things applicants are so concerned about like free parking and the palatability of cafeteria food to the things that really matter like the actual flexibility of schedule in PGY4, moonlighting opportunities and the current "reality" on that front, population diversity both ethnically and socioeconomically, what the calls are really like in terms of frequency over the years and volume, amount of social work support, quality of supervision and the availability of recording devices, what the feedback system is like both ways, an example of a recent change instituted by the PD based on resident feedback, the minimum number of outpatients one has to see in a week in PGY3, the average patient contact time in outpatient, the maximum amount of time one can spend with each patient and if the residents are in complete control of the appointment scheduling, and last but not least, the patient dropout rate. Those are some of the questions I remember asking at all my interviews that were very helpful.

As Doctor Bagel points out, current residents would have vested interests to promote their program. But so what? The applicants reading the reviews would know that already and would take them for what they are: subjective collection of facts with some truths. If you'd like, we can even have that as a disclaimer in the opening post. And finally, if anonymity is a concern for the reasons Doctor Bagel brings up, they can always post the reviews anonymously similar to how the applicants do! I would, for example, be happy to post them for you as long as you are willing to write them!

Members don't see this ad.

Well then. By this assessment its one blind tunnel from applicant to attending. I'm not confident in my disagreement with you there. But just as the cure for bad science is more science.
Bad science doesn't improve with increased volume of bad science.

I get the idea and wish folks well. I won't be posting for my program because all it shows is one residents experience at a particular program at a particular time. Readers who read a post that confirms their impression of a program will accept it, and if it conflicts they'll largely reject it.

The content will range from the factual (which is contained in interview reviews and program websites) and the intensely personal (which says a lot more about the writer than the program). The net will be that happy residents won't be adding much that isn't garnished from existing resources (including SDN) and unhappy residents will be portraying their residency through that unhappy lens (which will likely continue to evolve throughout residency).

If folks do this, I'd STRONGLY recommend folks identifying their year of training at time of writing. I think you will find a trend of "gee whiz, this place is AWESOME" early in training fading vs. burning out as the writer moves along. And it would be helpful to know how much actual experience a writer has with the program. Frankly, an intern only has about six months of experience with a very specific part of their program. If folks are unwilling to post year of training out of fear of retribution if identified, that says something about the program. Or the resident. Ah, back to the rub...

I'm in the final stretch of residency and honestly love my program, though I see more flaws now than when I started. This is not a negative, it's called familiarity. And when I interview applicants, or meet them at lunch or dinner the night before, I'm happy to discuss this with them, as are most residents. We have a vested interest in making sure folks come in with both eyes open as this makes for happy residents which makes for good residents. I was in contact with over a dozen applicants through this process to help them find a good fit. THIS is what I feel is helpful. Posting how I feel right now about a program most readers won't seriously consider ending up at doesn't help much of anyone. It will likely produce a few memes that will then register with folks, become stereotypic and misinterpreted, and get bandied about in the collective consciousness in appropriately (I STILL hear people saying that UCSD is a "biological" program and that Stanford is "anti-therapy" with a straight face).

So I will educate people about my program in a way that I find to actually work: with people directly. I'd encourage folks to do the same. Residents tend not to sugar coat things for you, because nothing is more miserable than having a bunch of unhappy residents you have to train and care for. We are MUCH more invented to find people who truly want to be here. So take what you want from SDN, but I'd strongly recommend to reaching out to the residents at a program you're interested in attending, and if that's hard to do, that should be far more instructive than any post you read.

Reactions: 4 users
Subjectivity pervades every aspect of a review or rank list, even of otherwise seemingly objective data. For example, a program with multiple, physically separated sites requiring intraday transportation may be subjectively viewed as a net positive by a resident or applicant, whereas someone else may see it as a net negative (driving around, parking difficulties, learning different records systems).

The only reviews and comments that consistently grab my attention are those posted by residents who have the actual program experience, but you have to parse the subjective praise and sour grapes, and I am not really sure what that leaves you with at the end of the day. Applicant reviews are both highly subjective AND are based on extremely limited observation from a few hours in a controlled interview day, and I don't find them very useful for my purposes (i.e., figuring out where to apply, how to rank, etc.).

Not sure what my point is other than the caveat to not read too much, positively or negatively, into any of these reviews, and to figure out for yourself what matters most to YOU. The rank lists are even more useless; yes, it is fascinating to read them, and some people try to place their lists in context (family issues, couples match, etc), but I still don't extrapolate anything from someone's rank list to apply to my situation, other than to observe that so far, my rank list looks NOTHING like any list I have seen. The programs I interviewed at don't even overlap more than about 15 percent with any list I have seen in this or prior seasons (zero percent with some), much less do others rank programs in the relative order I have when we interviewed at some of the same programs.

I have seen programs I placed at the bottom of my list sit atop some lists here, and that doesn't faze me in the least - I don't second guess myself, nor do I fear I "missed" something. If anything, I wonder what the hell someone else thinks they are getting into, but that is none of my danged business...maybe they want to get worked to the bone in a service>>>>training environment, or they care more about the name over the door than the training they will receive inside, or they are happy to live in an uber expensive city on a meager resident's salary with no guaranteed housing or rent subsidy, or perhaps they are OK to be at a program with no viable in-house or local moonlighting opportunities, or whatever.

I figured out what I wanted in a program and location, and most of that information is available on program websites, or is covered on interview day, or can be found in a 'places rated' site like city-data, or maybe you send a followup email to a resident you met and connected with on interview day who can clear up your confusion on calls, etc.

Finally, there are some helpful residents on SDN who post their willingness to have a private conversation, and I have done that for a couple of programs (you know who you are), and it is the most helpful information one can possibly get, but your decisions will still have to come down to what you want, not someone else's subjective opinion, so don't place too much weight on what you read here or what anyone tells you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Psychotic: Did you mean to quote me there or did I accidentally get caught up in your preconceived rant?

@notdeadyet: Those are very good points. Still, I'm not convinced that everyone coming to the interviews do so with their eyes wide open. And even then, one would have to ask tens of questions to identify one potential flaw. This is where I think a listing of flaws, for instance, by a current resident may help future applicants both when applying as they can decide early if they'd be okay with all that and when interviewing at the program as they'd know what questions to definitely ask. Whether the residents would be forthcoming with that and whether or not it might be colored by their personal experience with the program, good or bad, are difficult to predict. But it's still worth a try, isn't it?

@Psychotic: Did you mean to quote me there or did I accidentally get caught up in your preconceived rant?

I quoted your post that advocates 'objective' resident reviews because I don't believe that there is anything truly objective about subjective experiences and thought processes, be it from fellow applicants who spent a day at a place, or a resident who has spent the last few years at a place.

If it makes you feel better, I delinked your post from mine.

Not sure what a "preconceived rant" is, but you are entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to express mine. If you don't care for my opinion, feel free to move along...I have a ton of "likes" for the posts I have made here this season, so my opinions resonate with some folks.

I am a bit of an outlier on the perceived value of these reviews and rank list posts. I think they are far less valuable than most of the participants on these threads seem to think. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, just putting my thoughts out there. Take it or leave it.

Maybe we need a "don't like" button, too?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A don't like button... interesting. Maybe we could count the "likes" of a post and subtract the "dislikes" of a post and come up with a number! Then we could add up that number for all of each user's posts and call it... SDN points? What a novel concept! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
A don't like button... interesting. Maybe we could count the "likes" of a post and subtract the "dislikes" of a post and come up with a number! Then we could add up that number for all of each user's posts and call it... SDN points? What a novel concept! :thumbup:

You mean like Reddit?

A 'don't like' button might cut down on some of the snark people post to express umbrage or displeasure with another poster.

Just a thought...

No I think you're absolutely right, I was just amused at how all roads lead to the Reddit upvote/downvote system with time.

I quoted your post that advocates 'objective' resident reviews because I don't believe that there is anything truly objective about subjective experiences and thought processes, be it from fellow applicants who spent a day at a place, or a resident who has spent the last few years at a place

Fair enough. Because most of your post was about things I had never mentioned, I was confused why you would quote that post.

Subjectivity pervades every aspect of a review or rank list, even of otherwise seemingly objective data. For example, a program with multiple, physically separated sites requiring intraday transportation may be subjectively viewed as a net positive by a resident or applicant, whereas someone else may see it as a net negative (driving around, parking difficulties, learning different records systems).

A lot of the questions I mentioned are quite objective, aren't they? Even in your example, "multiple, physically separated sites requiring intraday transportation" is the objective data and that's valuable to all the prospective applicants - those who might think twice about applying because they hate commuting and those that view rotating through multiple clinical sites as a major strength.

A lot of the questions I mentioned are quite objective, aren't they? Even in your example, "multiple, physically separated sites requiring intraday transportation" is the objective data and that's valuable to all the prospective applicants - those who might think twice about applying because they hate commuting and those that view rotating through multiple clinical sites as a major strength.

And all of that sort of objective data can be found on a program website, usually, or it will be well described on interview day. You don't need, nor should you rely upon, objective data from other people (like reviews on SDN). Stuff like pay, benefits, vacation/sick days, call systems, breakdown of the PGY years, electives, and available fellowships can and should be found somewhere other than an SDN review.

When you put objective data through another person's subjective filter, who knows what you have? People have subjective takes on all sorts of things and sometimes they may not even know how it affected or skewed their overall impression of a program and location. Unless you know a reviewer personally, and know their idiosyncracies and judgment reliability, putting much stock into anonymous internet reviews of residency programs seems a little crazy to me.

And all of that sort of objective data can be found on a program website, usually, or it will be well described on interview day.

Well, not quite. A lot of them are also not described on interview day. Yes, they are discussed if one asks the specific questions but most of what I had mentioned are not spontaneously described. And those are just a sample. There are lots more where that came from.

You don't need, nor should you rely upon, objective data from other people (like reviews on SDN).

Well, I did. Different strokes maybe? I relied on data from many different people (and their opinions) to even decide on the places to apply. Just reading FREIDA and the programs' website didn't help me there completely.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, not quite. A lot of them are also not described on interview day. Yes, they are discussed if one asks the specific questions but most of what I had mentioned are not spontaneously described. And those are just a sample. There are lots more where that came from.

Well, I did. Different strokes maybe? I relied on data from many different people (and their opinions) to even decide on the places to apply. Just reading FREIDA and the programs' website didn't help me there completely.

When you say you relied on "data" from many different people, what does that even mean? Data, as in objective data and program facts, or opinions? Nothing wrong with gathering opinions from trusted sources, but sometimes the most well meaning attendings at your medical school are so far removed from the process that their opinions on programs is of limited value. Unless you have a friend or trusted source, like an actual resident, who is presently at a program, and he/she is someone you can ask for a frank and unvarnished opinion about the program, I can't imagine relying on opinions from many people.

There are a lot of reviews on SDN that contain erroneous or incomplete facts about programs, facilities, call frequencies - otherwise factual, objective stuff. Occasionally a resident comes along and corrects it, but you have to wonder how much of what gets posted in reviews as "fact" is in truth accurate. I don't rely on this stuff at all.

I don't know where you interviewed, but between program websites, interview day presentations and handouts, chatting with residents at the dinner or lunch, and with the opportunity to ask questions and also to follow up after the interview day with a resident or someone else via email, I found zero need to rely on an SDN review for this kind of data. Out of 12 interviews, I had just one substantive question regarding vacation and sick day totals at one program - I sent an email, got the answer. I never did find that info on the website or in the handouts or my notes from interview day.

I looked at FREIDA once and never went back. Totally worthless IMO.

I wanted to add one additional thought: I have read reviews of the psychiatry program at my home institution, and these tend to be full of gushing praise about the pathology and breadth of exposure and the fabulous PD and so on - in other words very positive reviews - and I have to say that even though I am clearly not inside the program, I have spent a lot of time there on rotations and electives, and I have gotten to know a fair number of residents, and the reality gap between the SDN reviews and what I know or think I know about the program is quite wide, to the point that I think the reviews are worthless if not also misleading.

N=1, but there it is, and fairly or not, it has colored my regard for anonymous reviews from applicants who know little more than I do about different programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would first like to say that I took detailed notes on my phone...which were deleted when my phone updated so my reviews will be very brief.

Also, although this forum can be helpful I'd advise people reading this to take everything you read (including my reviews) with a grain of salt. In the end this is just one person's opinion. I found some information I read on here to be mistaken. In the end if you're interested in a program interview there and see for yourself if it's a good fit for you.

University of New Mexico:

1. Communication: Adequate.

2. Accommodation & Food: No pre-interview dinner but offered free lodging at a really nice hotel. Lunch was sandwiches and such.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): Presentation by PD, travel to VA for interview, join table rounds, go back for several more interviews, lunch with residents, tour of hospitals, end with a driving tour of Albuquerque given by the PD.

4. Program Overview: Overall this program seemed kind of middle of the road to me. They seemed to be solid but I couldn't pick out any one area that was a particular strength and they didn't leave any particular impact on me (good or bad). The PD was nice and personable as were the residents. They mentioned their weakness were lack of research and heavy on the inpatient rotations. Apparently they used to be second only to Johns Hopkins in the number of inpatient rotations so they cut them down little by little. Down to ten months now I believe and they hope to further lower it to nine months. Call seemed standard (can't remember details) with ability to take home call at VA if you live within 30 min driving distance. They plan on adding some new tracks as well as some second year elective time.

5. Faculty: Can only talk about those I met who seemed approachable enough.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Albuquerque is not my kind of city. I like big cities and I am not an outdoors person. Albuquerque has a small town feel and people are into yoga, hiking, biking, and other things I prefer not to do. Good cost of living and nice mountains though. If you are looking for a medium sized city with a slower pace of life this could be right for you. Also I don't like Pueblo style homes.

7. Salary & Benefits: Pretty standard benefits, about 47K salary.

8. Program Strengths
- Low cost of living
- Ability to take home call
- Solid all around program
- Plan to start tracks for next academic year.

9. Potential Weaknesses
- Heavy on inpatient
- Albuquerque (depending on personal preference)
- Lack of ethnic diversity in patient population
- Not a huge research institution (if that's an interest)

Georgetown:

1. Communication: Set up interview through website on a first come first serve basis.

2. Accommodation & Food: No pre-interview dinner or lodging. Lunch was quite meager and provided by the cafeteria.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): A bit disorganized. Overview given by PC as PD was late. Then tour of Georgetown, lunch, interviews, and wrap up with incoming PD.

4. Program Overview: Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with this program. D.C. has strict rules on involuntary commitment so you will only get experience with these types of patients at the VA. The residents were nice but I got the feeling that they either chose Georgetown because it was in D.C. or it wasn't their first choice.One resident said Georgetown students don't tend to stick around for residency. They had two citations from ACGME. One for having a resident from a med school not listed by the acgme (they say it was a clerical error) and another for all residents not having a similar outpatient experience (they say some residents are under a different research program they have no control over). I appreciated that they were transparent, though. They cut down on clinical sites and now most rotations done at Georgetown or VA (minus for me). New PD to take over for upcoming year. The PC mentioned that he is the one who chooses which applicants are invited to interview which seems odd to me (maybe I misunderstood him?)

5. Faculty: Really didn't meet too many.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Georgetown is slightly west of inner D.C. which makes it safer but harder to access by public transportation. I find D.C. to be nicer and more interesting than neighboring Baltimore,but it is definitely more expensive.

7. Salary & Benefits: Pretty standard benefits, about 51K salary.

8. Program Strengths
- D.C. (depending on personal preference)
- Nice residents
- Forensic psychiatry (not sure how that will change now that Dr. Newman is leaving)

9. Potential Weaknesses
- Outdated hospital/no cafeteria
- New PD for incoming year
- Lack of exposure to involuntary patients
- Expensive city
- Citations on last site visit

Last edited:
Georgetown:

1. Communication: Set up interview through website on a first come first serve basis.

2. Accommodation & Food: No pre-interview dinner or lodging. Lunch was quite meager and provided by the cafeteria.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): A bit disorganized. Overview given by PC as PD was late. Then tour of Georgetown, lunch, interviews, and wrap up with incoming PD.

4. Program Overview: Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with this program. D.C. has strict rules on involuntary commitment so you will only get experience with these types of patients at the VA. The residents were nice but I got the feeling that they either chose Georgetown because it was in D.C. or it wasn't their first choice.One resident said Georgetown students don't tend to stick around for residency. They had two citations from ACGME. One for having a resident from a med school not listed by the acgme (they say it was a clerical error) and another for all residents not having a similar outpatient experience (they say some residents are under a different research program they have no control over). I appreciated that they were transparent, though. They cut down on clinical sites and now most rotations done at Georgetown or VA (minus for me). New PD to take over for upcoming year. The PC mentioned that he is the one who chooses which applicants are invited to interview which seems odd to me (maybe I misunderstood him?)

5. Faculty: Really didn't meet too many.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Georgetown is slightly west of inner D.C. which makes it safer but harder to access by public transportation. I find D.C. to be nicer and more interesting than neighboring Baltimore,but it is definitely more expensive.

7. Salary & Benefits: Pretty standard benefits, about 51K salary.

8. Program Strengths
- D.C. (depending on personal preference)
- Nice residents
- Forensic psychiatry (not sure how that will change now that Dr. Newman is leaving)

9. Potential Weaknesses
- Outdated hospital/no cafeteria
- New PD for incoming year
- Lack of exposure to involuntary patients
- Expensive city
- Citations on last site visit
Better late than never huh?

Well. I wouldn't want my program to take a beating here either, so I can understand your frustration, but ask yourself how accurate your applicant rank lists are.

I remember, MacDonaldtriad talking about how there was no way to tell who would rise to the top from their rank list order as the course of training progressed. Seems we're all fumbling around making our best impressions of things. Not just us.

I think OHSU is just in one of those positions of having to interview a lot of people who apply there knowing its not in their top few. Lot's of programs are in this position. Lots of applicants, like myself, are in this position. This is what I would pass on to your leadership: If we want to be able to leverage more selectivity in who we interview we're going to have to think of ways to make our program more attractive.

How the hell is MUSC scooping up great applicants and interview accolades out of south carolina. I hate the south passionately and would consider Portland vastly superior culturally etc. .

fortunately douches like this usually stay away from the south. The amount of bigotry expressed in just this thread alone is troubling. If they didn't I'd definately be looking to move somewhere else.

fortunately douches like this usually stay away from the south. The amount of bigotry expressed in just this thread alone is troubling. If they didn't I'd definately be looking to move somewhere else.

Who is that complaining about bigotry????

Was it this guy?
??
I wasn't implying that all fmg/imgs/dos are 'bad'....just that on the whole I much prefer to work with allopathic amgs, and I think many others feel the same way.

Was it this guy?
I'm sure vistaril will happily describe how what he said is not at all discriminatory, and that even if it were it is not relevant to the point he made. And remind us all that he is right about whatever it was he posted about.

And magically, and according to him, without his intending to, this thread will derail for 1-2 pages focusing on his prejudices or lack thereof, before we can finally go back to discussing the actual topic of this thread.

So how about we pretend it already happened and stick to the thread topic instead?

Reactions: 3 users

Was it this guy?

the degree of disapproval there is much different. I simply said that I would prefer to work with amgs, and even said that not every img/fmg is bad. Nasrudin's repeated statements about one region of the country aren't along those same lines.

The equivalent statement would be: I wasn't implying that all southerners are bad people.....just that I would prefer to live somewhere else.

That obviously wouldn't have attracted my attention.

I'm sure vistaril will happily describe how what he said is not at all discriminatory, and that even if it were it is not relevant to the point he made. And remind us all that he is right about whatever it was he posted about.

And magically, without his intending to, this thread will derail for 1-2 pages focusing on his prejudices or lack thereof, before we can finally go back to discussing the actual topic of this thread.

So how about we pretend it already happened and stick to the thread topic instead?

a few points:

1) bigotry and discrimination are not the same thing. Bigotry is a more specific and inflammatory word imo. Then again I made C's in lit/grammar....but it seems that way to me.

2) I wasn't the one trying to derail the thread because I didn't come in and start firebombing insults for no apparent reason at a whole region of people. I've said what I wanted to say concerning the op and am fine with dropping it.

3) Lighten up people...whenever there is the least bit of animosity in here people freak out, as if this forum is a 19th century English Tea brunch or something. nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit.

a few points:

1) bigotry and discrimination are not the same thing. Bigotry is a more specific and inflammatory word imo. Then again I made C's in lit/grammar....but it seems that way to me.

2) I wasn't the one trying to derail the thread because I didn't come in and start firebombing insults for no apparent reason at a whole region of people. I've said what I wanted to say concerning the op and am fine with dropping it.

3) Lighten up people...whenever there is the least bit of animosity in here people freak out, as if this forum is a 19th century English Tea brunch or something. nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit.

Baylor:

1. Communication: Email. Was a little slow in getting back to me and I was initially sent the wrong schedule but this was fixed.

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner. Lunch at Menninger Clinic.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): Intro by chief, interviews, tour of Menninger, lunch with residents, tour of med center.

4. Program Overview: I really enjoyed this program. Although there are some well known analytics here, I thought the program was quite balanced. Also there is a big diversity of clinical sites and unique clinics that upper level residents can do (women's shelter, refugee, HIV, etc). You get good exposure to the insured, uninsured, indigent and VA population. Menninger is another unique experience that takes place in your second year. I really enjoyed the residents and faculty I met and overall this is probably the group of residents I felt I fit in with the most. The resident giving the med center tour seemed a bit pressed for time, but I suppose that's not the programs fault. There seems to be an opinion on here that Baylor residents work too hard which I don't agree with. The call schedule seemed comparable to the other places I interviewed (ramps up to 2nd year, less 3rd year,none 4th) and work hours were average too. However they do cover a lot of different hospitals and there is almost no chance that you will be able to sleep while on your ER shifts (they do work hard while they are on call). Overall I
was impressed with the people and it just felt like a place that would be a good fit for me. Self-reported weakness is research (they're trying to improve but still are overshadowed by UTSW).

5. Faculty: Everyone I met was really nice and approachable. They have some outstanding faculty (Gabbard comes to mind). From the residents it sounds like you get a good amount of interaction with the attendings (including big name ones).

6. Location & Lifestyle: I'm originally from Texas so I have a strong positive bias. I like Houston - big city, probably the most diverse in Texas, good food, and a busy med center. Low cost of living too. However I can see how Texas could be an acquired taste. Possible downsides include no public transportation and extreme heat/humidity (again, I'm used to this).

7. Salary & Benefits: About 47K salary.

8. Program Strengths
- Most fellowships available
- Diverse clinical sites
- Diverse patient populations
- Very approachable faculty (from what I can tell)

9. Potential Weaknesses
- Cover a lot of hospitals while on call (though actual amount of call seems standard)
- Need a car to live in Houston
- If research is your thing, nearby Southwestern is probably better in that regard.

Better late than never huh?

At this point reviews are probably going to help the next class of applicants more than anyone else, but I thought it was information still worth posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
UTSW

1. Communication: Email. No problems.

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner. Lunch with residents.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): Intro by PD, interviews, lunch, tour. PD went out his way to make sure applicants could speak with someone in the field they were interested in.

4. Program Overview: Another really good program (I had a hard time choosing between here and Baylor for #1). It had a lot of the things I was looking for in a residency.Diverse clinical sites (new county hospital opening soon), they have some interesting electives (ACT team, jail rotation, homeless services) and ample elective time. Program also has several tracks available (research, community, women's mh, clinician educator). All of the residents I met were nice and articulate and everyone had great things to say about the PD. I've seen some people mention that their interview with the PD was a little too analytic for their tastes.While he certainly is an analyst I didn't think any of his questions were too probing or awkward (he asked me things like where I grew up, how I made the decision to enter psychiatry, how my family felt about my decision) and I actually liked him a lot. Probably best program for research in the state. A few negatives - apparently they feel very strongly at the county hospital about trying not to take dual diagnosis patients (I asked an attending and several residents about this and they all said the same). Although the residents are going off to great places for fellowship I wondered why more are not staying.

5. Faculty: Can only speak on those I met who were nice. More of an intellectual feel than the other Texas programs I interviewed at, however.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Again, I'm originally from Texas so I have a strong positive bias. Dallas isn't my favorite Texas city (I prefer the diversity of Houston and young energy of Austin) but it's a large city with no lack of things to do. Nice weather (compared to northeast), close enough to San Antonio/Austin /Dallas for a weekend getaway. Again it's Texas so a car is needed.

7. Salary & Benefits: Starts at 54K salary (best in Texas, I think?).

8. Program Strengths
-Strong research
- Most fellowships available
- Diverse clinical sites
- Start seeing therapy patients in PGY2

9. Potential Weaknesses
- No dual diagnosis patients at county (unsure if this significantly affects addictions experience)
- Dallas (some may like it but I personally thinks the city lacks charm)
- Once again, car needed (probably true for all Texas programs)

UVA

1. Communication:

Email

2. Accommodation & Food:

No accommodations, but plenty of cheap hotel options within walking distance. I couldn’t make the pre-interview dinner. They had lunch catered in from an Italian place on the day of the interview and residents from all years floated in and out.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):

Met at 9 and had an intro from the PD and a light breakfast. You had a few interviews in the morning and a few in the afternoon, 4 30 minute interviews total. Everyone was very nice and more interested in answering questions than asking them. There was a tour after the first few interviews followed by lunch with a bunch of residents. At the end of the day, the chair came and spoke about research opportunities and overall vision of the program. The day ended about 3:30.

4. Program Overview:

UVA is a good program with nice people. There’s a few unique aspects to the training, including early customization. In your first year, you have medicine elective options like palliative care and endocrine, plus an option of doing peds neuro instead of one adult neuro month. PGY2’s get 10 weeks of selective blocks, including research, child and adolescent, and pain medicine.

Another aspect of their curriculum I liked was the option to participate in a track of your choice. You can do psychotherapy, research, or community psych and it gives you the opportunity to get more experience in your chosen track starting early on. You get a certificate at the end of your training if you choose to do this.

There’s some research going on, especially in addictions or forensics, that residents get involved in especially if they’re on the research track. Psychotherapy training seems decent, mostly in the 3rd year unless you get an early start on the psychotherapy track. One neat thing here was that residents see their inpatient patients that they discharged at an outpatient clinic for follow-up, even starting as an intern.

Facilities are mostly at UVA or at the state hospital, about 45 minutes away. At UVA, they have one general adult floor with 23 beds and 5 of those are geriatric. The state hospital is bigger and has specialized units like child, etc. It seems like particular strengths in the curriculum are in substance abuse and consult.

Didactics are different here from most places. During PGY1 and 2, you may have an hour or two per week of teaching but there’s no protected half day or anything. As a PGY3, you have 1-1.5 days per week of didactics to try and make up for it. However, I personally think it’s a downside to not have consistent didactics starting early on.

1st year- 3 months internal medicine- 1 inpatient, 1 consults, 1 selective (peds, palliative, toxicology, endocrinology), 1 month ER, 2 months inpatient, 4 months consult, 2 months neuro-1 inpatient and 1 consult (can do 1 of these months in peds neuro)

2nd year- 2 blocks inpatient, 2 blocks consult, 1 block inpatient geri, 1 block substance abuse, 1 block state hospital, 1 block wellness recovery center, 2 selective blocks (child, research, behavioral medicine, pain, etc)

3rd year- Outpatient. You also have 1 to 1.5 days per week of didactics during this year.

4th year- 1.5 days per week outpatient, elective time.

5. Faculty:

Everyone I met was really nice and friendly. It seems like faculty will go out of their way to help you reach your goals and make the most of your time there. I had a personal experience in med school with a faculty member here who helped me get published even though he didn’t know me personally. Also, one year they created more child psych fellowship spots than they generally have available to accommodate all their adult residents who wanted to stay. To me, both of these things show that the faculty are very invested in education and their residents. I think it would be a great environment to train in for this reason.

6. Location and Lifestyle:

Charlottesville is gorgeous. There’s a cute downtown with a good amount of restaurants for its size and with UVA, you have sporting events, concerts, etc. Then if you head just slightly out of town, you find beautiful rolling hills and mountains. I think it would be ideal for someone who’s settled down and wants an affordable place to live with many outdoor opportunities.

Salary starts at about $51,000. 3 weeks vacation plus some holiday time. 5 educational days starting PGY2. I believe there’s a moonlighting opportunity out at the state hospital, but I’m not sure about how available this is for residents or when you can start doing it.

Lifestyle seems pretty average of the programs I visited. You work a good amount of weekends, about half in PGY's 1/2 and including 1-2 weekend shifts a month in PGY3, but residents still seemed to have time for a life, family time, etc.

7. Program Strengths:

-Opportunities to customize your training starting early on, with neat electives in things like pain medicine, toxicology, etc.

-Tracks in psychotherapy, community psych, or research.

-Nice, happy residents and faculty.

-Seems like they’re especially strong in forensics and addictions.

-Charlottesville is a picturesque town that has a lot of entertainment options for its size and would be ideal for those who are married or raising a family.

8. Potential Weaknesses:

-More of a learn by doing place, especially in years 1 and 2. Not much didactics until 3rd year, when they try and make up for it with 1-1.5 days per week of didactics.

-Charlottesville is small and probably not ideal for a single person.

-45 minute drive for any rotations you have at the state facility.

-Seems like call is pretty average overall, but they work a good amount of weekends even as a PGY3.

Overall: UVA is a nice, happy program where you’d get solid overall clinical training and have the ability to customize your experience based on your interests.

Vanderbilt

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner. Lunch with residents. No accommodations.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): Intro by PD, six interviews (most for me on the interview trial but everything moved smoothly), lunch with residents, case conference, tour.

4. Program Overview: This is a good program and the residents seemed to be really proud of their institution. The residents were nice though I somehow felt like I didn't fit in. Kind of a northeast feel to the program (if that makes sense) but this could be an attraction for a lot of people. Moonlighting structure changed recently but I can't remember exactly how (I think no external moonlighting?). They are working on expanding their research and adding a geriatric fellowship which they hope will be up within the next few years. I thought the program had a slightly biological leaning (though others may disagree) but overall was very strong. You don't get see as many indigent patients because there is no county exposure. They do have a small number of beds reserved for such patients but again, these are just a few beds in a large facility. However, I have no doubt that residents emerge from this residency well trained and you can do extra community MH months if that's an interest.

5. Faculty: Can't comment much.

6. Location & Lifestyle: I liked Nashville. Beautiful fall leaves, It's a medium sized city with a good music scene. Seems like it's a city with a good balance of things to do but calm enough to raise a family.

7. Salary & Benefits: Starts at 50K salary

8. Program Strengths
- Overall strong program
- High resident morale
- Research track available
- Nashville

9. Program Weaknesses
- Lack of community/county exposure
- Leans toward the biological (in my opinion)
- Only two fellowships offered now but working on expanding.

I promise I'll finish all my reviews eventually...
Apologies again for incomplete reviews. My memory is getting worse as I get farther away from interview trail.

Tufts

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner. Lunch with residents. No accommodations.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): I had a somewhat odd day. One interviewer decided not to ask me questions but instead use our 30 minutes to warn me about all the things wrong with psychiatry. Not that I don't appreciate the advice but how can you know if I'm a good fit for your program without asking questions? Otherwise fairly standard day with breakfast, interviews, tour, lunch and then case conference.

4. Program Overview: It was hard for me to get a feel of the program since I didn't have a full interview with the PD and didn't engage in much conversation with one interviewer. However the residents seemed nice and relaxed. One of the faculty members I met moved over from the Harvard system which he found "too constricting". Several residents talked about the program having solid psychotherapy training. Hospital seemed standard. However, Tufts is not a powerhouse program and tends to be overshadowed by the nearby Harvard system. Although I was not particularly excited about this program, I could see it being a lot more appealing to someone who likes Boston/the northeast.

5. Faculty: Can't comment much. Did get to briefly meet incoming APA president.

6. Location & Lifestyle: I discovered on the interview trail that I'm not a northeast person. If you are then Boston might be appealing to you. People seem really into their sports here. Tufts medical center is located near Chinatown so you do get to see more of the Asian population here than you might at other Boston programs.

7. Salary & Benefits: Starts at 51K salary

8. Honestly can't remember enough details about them to list strengths and weaknesses. Overall a decent program to look into if you want to stay in the Boston area, otherwise I think there are better nearby options.

I'm afraid I must also join the late train. I hope this information will be helpful for the next generation of applicants. I read in the posts above that these interview reviews shouldn't be considered to be "data" and that one would be "crazy" for relying on another's subjective, and possibly incorrect accounts of various programs. However, I still think these reviews are useful, and I definitely relied on them when selecting programs and while on the interview trail. I'm just sorry that I waited so long to post them.

SUNY Downstate

1. Accommodations/food: light breakfast/coffee in AM with a deli lunch in afternoon with residents. No accommodations.

2. Interview Day: 8:45 – 2pm (there’s also an afternoon session that lasts from 11am – 4pm). I had three interviews. Two with residents (one was relaxing, the other was more challenging and filled with gotcha questions) and one with the associate training director, who was very, very nice but flat-out asked me what programs I applied to/where I was interviewing. Some may not have minded, but that made me uncomfortable. I also got a few intrusive questions about my family (including “did you get therapy?”) I also had an afternoon “non-evaluative meeting” with the chair of the department, who was a nice guy, but asked a few stress and “gotcha” questions. With that said, the residents were all pleasant to talk to, and I got the impression that the leadership cares deeply about their residents and work very hard to send residents to conferences and submit papers/posters. When the associate director gave her overview of the program, she spent a lot of time praising her residents’ accomplishments. I definitely got a friendly, matronly vibe from her (which may have explained those uncomfortable questions).

3. Program Overview: They offer the standard rotations at a diverse range of hospitals (see below). Unlike other programs,they have rotations in both addiction and forensic psych. They also offer a course on research methodology, which is designed to jumpstart residents into research, which I think is a good idea for residents who don’t have a strong research background already (like myself). It’s followed up by a research month and project. They also appoint a chief resident for research and academics to help facilitate this for residents. They also offer the possibility of a concurrent masters in Public health for free.

4. Facilities/Faculty: It’s one of the few programs that offers rotation experiences at multiple sites.Residents are trained at the University Hospital of Brooklyn (UHB), Kings County Hospital Center (KCHC), Kingsboro Psychiatric Center (KPC), Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center (KJMC), Project for Psychiatric Outreach to the Homeless (PPOH), Brooklyn Veterans Administration Medical Center (BVAMC) and St John`s Episcopal Hospital (SJEH). They’re spread out across Brooklyn—some requiring the use of a car (or good timing with the subway).

5. Location, lifestyle, etc: The program is located in a pretty rough part of Brooklyn, and a large number of residents live elsewhere and take the train in. However, it’s still within NYC.

6. Benefits (include salary): $56k-$70k from PGY-1 to PGY4; including book and travel allowance and psychotherapy coverage, which isn’t always covered. They offer multiple moonlighting opportunities, though the resident mentioned that most don’t start until their 4th year. There’s also a student union that provides a fitness center, pool, etc.

7. Program Strengths: Strong community focus (with good exposure to forensic and addiction psych) and exposure to multiple hospital sites. You’d have the opportunity to sign up for a loan-forgiveness program because of it’s location in an underserved area. Diverse residents (most are international grads). Many opportunities to get your feet wet in research.

8. Potential Weaknesses: Location (it’s in a pretty rough area of Brooklyn). Aging facilities. I was told there is 4th year call (but I’m still confirming if this is true). No on-campus housing (though I’m not sure if I’d want to live in the area anyway).

Final Thoughts: My advisor/mentors told me not to bother applying (especially since they said I had a decent chance of matching at one of the Manhattan programs), but I really wanted to give this program a chance. I loved the opportunities that it offered from an academic perspective. However, I was turned off by the location, facilities, and the intrusive questions during interview day.

Cornell

1. Accommodations/food: They did host a social at a resident’s apartment the evening before (wine/cheese/kabobs), which was fun. Coffee and bagels for breakfast; fancy lunch at the faculty club, consisting of brisket. (yum!)

2. Interview Day: 8am to 5pm. The day was interspersed with a tour of the campus and history of psychiatry library (interesting), several overviews of the programs clinical and didactic training, and three interviews-- including one “meeting” with the program director. The interviews were overall low-stress, though I did get some psychoanalytic-style questions. (“Talk about your childhood.” “What toys did you play with as a child?”.) However, I didn’t get an overly intrusive vibe from the interviewers (like I did at other programs). I got the impression that the interviewers really wanted to get to know me as a person. It was obvious that they had read my application in depth. I got a mixed vibe from the residents. Some were warm and fuzzy. Many were more formal/stiff/refined. One of the residents admitted that Cornell does have a more formal atmosphere, which he liked because it encourages professionalism and helps separate work from personal life. With that said, I got the impression that there was a defined hierarchy in the program. I thought the PD, Dr. Auchincloss, was wonderful and charming. She emanated a strong matronly vibe, and she gave me the impression that she’s cares very deeply about the program and her residents. She’s also expressed a deep commitment to diversity and LGBTQ issues at Cornell.

3. Program Overview: The PD emphasized the strong focus on clinical exposure for ALL residents (hence, no specialized research track or psychotherapy track like at other programs). 1st year: 4-month block of internal medicine (with one of those months at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center); 2-month block of Neuro; and 6-month block of psychiatry at Westchester. 2nd year residents stay mostly in Manhattan (with one rotation up in Westchester in their personality disorders unit) and split their time between C-L psych, inpatient psych, and Emergency Psych. You get a chance to do an elective and start psychodynamic therapy in your second year. 3rd year is all out-patient with weekend call in the psych ED. 4th year will be elective only (they’re eliminating the junior attending requirement).

4. Facilities/Faculty: While Cornell’s program is based at New York
Presbyterian Hospital (NYPH) on the upper east side of Manhattan, the bulk of it’s psychiatry is located in Westchester, where there’s a geriatric unit, child/adolescent unit, personality disorders unit, eating disorders unit, and a kosher unit for observant Jewish patients. You will also rotate at Memorial Sloan-Kettering, a world-renowned cancer hospital, which is where psycho-oncology was born. While Cornell has a reputation for being very heavily psychodynamic/psychoanalytic, there’s also a prominent number of CBT-oriented faculty and neuroscientists. The PD is a card-carrying analyst, who teaches at the analytic institute at Columbia. However, the chair is a prominent neuroscientist who has spent several decades running his own neuroscience lab on the West Coast. The PD emphasized this, and admitted that good psychiatric training should include multiple modalities and points of view (and not just analytic training); however, she did admit that Cornell’s psychodynamic training is “off the charts.”

5. Location, lifestyle, etc: NYC. It’s on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, which tends to be quieter and more expensive than the other parts of Manhattan (it’s also comparatively boring, to be honest). Most residents live in Cornell’s housing, which is 1-2 blocks away from the hospital. (~$1800 - $2300 for a studio or 1 bedroom, which compares to 3.5-4k for an apartment of similar quality and proximity).

6. Benefits (include salary): (2013-14) 55.4k --> 58.3k à 61.7k (no info for 4th year). Benefits are otherwise pretty standard. They offer housing (see above).

7. Program Strengths: Very strong clinical exposure with heavy range of cases. “Off the scale” psychodynamic training (with strong training in other modalities. Multiple research opportunities (especially in psychotherapy, history of psychiatry, geriatric psych, eating disorders, and cognitive neuroscience with BJ Casey). NYC. Exposure to a cancer-hospital, which is the birthplace of psycho-oncology. Guaranteed housing only a few blocks away.

8. Potential Weaknesses: No VA hospital or public mental health center exposure. More formal atmosphere (though less so than Columbia). Very call-heavy in the 3rd year (some of the residents are trying to get that changed). Not a cush program by any means—residents say you will work hard. No undergraduate amenities (undergrad campus is 4-5 hours away); no opportunities for student mental health (like at Yale, Penn, or NYU). Not the most diverse program (currently, there are no black residents).

Final Thoughts: I loved this program. This will be one of my top choices for sure. I admired Cornell’s dedication to strong clinical training—despite the paucity of clinical sites (lack of clinical exposure in a VA or public hospital setting). However, I’m a huge fan of warm and fuzzy, and I got a much stronger warm and fuzzy vibe at NYU, Sinai, and Yale.

Last edited:
Beth Israel (Not sure why the text is bold at the end)

1. Accommodations/food: I live in “the city”—took the subway. Donuts and coffee in the morning, and a mac&cheese spread for lunch. There was an evening mixer with the residents the night before, but I wasn’t able to go.

2. Interview Day: Two interviews based on my interests. Both were pretty relaxed and focused on my experiences during college and med school. We got a tour of Beth Israel medical center, along with a presentation about its dedication to the community and the underserved. The location gives it a unique opportunity to see multiple immigrant communities (Russians, Chineese, Korean, Polish, Italian, Indian, etc. etc. etc.). It’s also a pioneer in LGBTQ-sensitive health care. (other hospitals are trying to copy what BI did to better serve their LGBTQ patients).

3. Program Overview: Unlike other programs, BI pushes most of the inpatient psych months in the first year (7 blocks), which allows for more diversity in the second year. Neuro is done in the second year instead of the first year. They also have a research project requirement in the 3rd/4th year. They have a very active CPEP. Psychotherapy training is very strong here; however, the chair mentioned during that he discourages residents from pursuing psychoanalytic training, which I thought was interesting.

There was a lot of talk about how the program’s “merger” with Sinai will affect Beth Israel—the psych residency programs will be mostly separate in the first three years (and mostly unchanged), but with many more opportunities for electives in the fourth year at both Mount Sinai and Saint Luke’s-Roosevelt. Plus, there’s a stronger push to synthesize the EMR to EPIC, which would be wonderful. (Currently, there’s a mix of different EMRs and paper charts). 60% of graduates pursue fellowships (including those at Yale, Columbia, NYU, and Cornell).

4. Facilities/Faculty: Most of your rotations will take place at Beth-Israel Medical Center (see program overview). Nothing special here compared to other programs. They have a good mix of faculty in various departments of psych. There weren’t as many researchers compared to other programs (though some did emphasize the short-term psychotherapy project and the first-break schizophrenia projects).

5. Location, lifestyle, etc: Lower East Side of Manhattan-- you can’t find a more dynamic, bohemian, and diverse place to live. It’s also one of the more affordable places in Manhattan (South of 90th street).

6. Benefits (include salary): I couldn’t find the exact salary, but the residents mentioned that Beth Israel residents tend to bet paid more compared to other NYC programs. “Market-Rate” housing is guaranteed for residents within walking distance (1000-1500 for studio/one-bedroom), so you wont have to juggle with rent brokers, etc. (I’m petrified of finding NYC housing). Though some residents lived in New Jersey or Brooklyn and commuted (the hospital provides subsidized parking if you don’t partake in housing for ~$250/month, which is very cheap for New York).

7. Program Strengths: Very strong community focus. Beth Israel Hospital was founded to serve the immigrant communities of the Lower East Side, and the program seems to be continuing that mission beautifully. It has a very strong LGBTQ-friendly history—the hospital gets top marks by the HRC and has a very strong leadership in addiction, HIV, and LGBTQ Psychiatry. Very strong psychotherapy training—I was impressed when they went through the three-year long training in psychotherapy. The residents were very friendly, diverse, and eager to learn. Housing is provided on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

8. Potential Weaknesses: No associated VA hospital. During the medicine months, you’re just an add-on to the medicine team—you take fewer patients, and the medicine attending, I was told, delegates the psych-related medicine cases to the psych resident. (This may be a strength to some, but for me it’s a weakness. I’d prefer to be treated like a medicine resident.) Paper charting still exists in the hospital (they’re not sure when the system will switch to Epic.) Minimal moonlighting opportunities (our tour guide mentioned that while they exist, you’d have to be active at setting it up.)

Final Thoughts: I was very impressed, and got the impression that it was an underdog program that can offer things that many of the “top-tier” programs (like Cornell or Columbia) can’t—like a community psych emphasis and a more relaxed atmosphere. I will definitely rank this program highly.

Yale

1. Accommodations/food: Had a tour of the Yale Undergrad campus the night before followed by dinner at a sushi restaurant with residents, which was very tasty. During the interview day, they took us to a pizza restaurant for lunch.

2. Interview Day: 8am – 4pm, starting with a group meeting with the PD and APD (both very amiable and fun to listen to). It was followed by four 30-minute interviews based on your interests. (i.e. Psychotherapy, geriatrics, etc) My interviews ranged from being conversational to uncomfortably formal (question/response/question/response/question/response). However, no "gotcha" questions or overly intrusive questions. It seemed like the interviewers (and other faculty) focused on charming/recruiting you rather than stressing you out.

3. Program Overview: It’s a large program (16-17 residents per class). Unlike other programs, Yale requires six months of internal medicine (instead of four months at other programs), which is split between Yale-NH hospital, the VA, and St. Raphaels (the local community hospital). This is new since Yale-NH Hospital and St. Raphaels merged. In the PGY-2 year, they also offer a 3-month case selective, during which you work on an academic/research project of your choice (NO CLINICAL DUTIES). Because of this, some consider it a “cush” program. All residents also see their first long-term psychodynamic patient in their second year, which gives them exposure to therapy first-hand with close supervision. There’s also a strong focus on global psychiatry, and the program director is dedicated to sending students abroad. In the third year, you either spend it at the VA, Connecticut Mental Health, or Yale Health and see students.

4. Facilities/Faculty: Yale offers multiple training facilities. There’s an academic institution (Yale-NH), a community hospital (St. Raphael’s), an independent psych hospital, a VA hospital, and the Connecticut mental health center. All (with the exception of the VA) are located within walking distance of the medical complex. The program also has close ties with the Western New England Institute for Psychoanalysis.

5. Location, lifestyle, etc: So it’s in New Haven, which does have an urban grittiness on the central campus, which contrasts with the ivy architecture. With that said, it offers an affordable cost of living within a relatively-quick train ride to NYC or Boston. It reminded me of other college towns like Ithaca and Ann Arbor (though I’m sure many will disagree). It also has many contemporary restaurants, theater, and museums. Yale doesn’t offer housing, but most residents are able to find decent, cheap housing within walking or biking distance. The residency program offers a wellness initiative, that encourages resident cohesion and a positive work-life balance.

6. Benefits (include salary): (2013-14) 64.5K -> 66.7K -> 69.8K -> 73K; plus $1100 for educational expenses. That’s almost 10K higher than most of the NYC programs—with a lower cost of living. Because residents are Yale University employees, they and their partners get to audit Yale courses for free! There are also ample moonlighting opportunities—some residents have made up to six-figures and bought homes in the area.

7. Program Strengths: Strong focus on public/community psychiatry. Multiple global health opportunities. Warm and fuzzy feeling from residents. Strong reputation in psychotherapy training. Multiple training sites (VA, CT Mental Health Center, Yale-New Haven Hospital). Proximity to Yale University and its amenities. 3-month case-selective. New Haven (I’ve grown tired of NYC and it’s exorbitant rent). Focus on diversity (both ethnic diversity and international diversity).

8. Potential Weaknesses: You only choose one site for your outpatient experience (Cutting you off from other potential patient populations). Large program. New Haven (for some)

Final Thoughts: I’m in love with Yale. I’m still not sure what some people have against New Haven. I loved the town, and thought it was very affordable and interesting for its size. Yes, it’s not NYC, San Fran, or Chicago, but the cost of living is very reasonable with a higher salary.

Hello, I'm looking at programs this year and looking mainly in the Midwest. Reading the forums, it seems Iowa is pretty popular. Does anyone have any reviews? Thanks!

Hello, I'm looking at programs this year and looking mainly in the Midwest. Reading the forums, it seems Iowa is pretty popular. Does anyone have any reviews? Thanks!

Definitely check out WashU and MCW as well if you're looking mainly in the Midwest. They're the cream of the crop in the region for biological psychiatry and psychotherapy training respectively.

How'd you get that impression? Cornell definitely has a more formal atmosphere than Columbia. The faculty are also more congenial at the latter!

This is just an impression I've gotten from 5 years of NYC academic pscycho-tourism and interactions with students, residents, and faculty from both programs (among others). I can't quantify an entire program's formality (and I certainly won't try on a public forum), so I stick with my (obviously subjective) impression. There are going to be those (from both programs) who have agreed or disagreed with it. (Or suggest the opposite as you did, which is a fair statement. We obviously interacted with different people from both programs or have different interpretations of what is considered "formal.")

With that said, both programs are top-notch, highly-selective Ivy League institutions that can recruit the best of the best. (I wasn't taking a shot at Columbia, I promise!) Though, I got more warm and laid back impressions from the Sinai, NYU, and Yale residents. (I realize Yale's an Ivy as well)

Indiana U

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner. Lunch with residents. Accommodations at a really nice upscale hotel downtown. Transportation was provided to interview site AND to airport!

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):Breakfast, overview with PD, 3-4 interviews (standard questions), lunch, hospital tour then finish up with brief tour of Indianapolis.

4. Program Overview: This was one of the surprises for me on the interview trail. I honestly feel that if this program was located on one of the coasts it would be one of the more competitive psychiatry programs. However, given that it's in the midwest it doesn't get as much love. First of all, the nicest group of residents I met on the interview trail (and that's saying a lot because everyone was pretty nice). The facilities are really nice. Every hospital we saw was beautiful and they are building a new county hospital (opening this year, I believe). There is a wide variety of clinical sites and experiences (telepsychiatry, TMS training, state hospital exposure). Start seeing CBT patients in second year and elective time is spread throughout 3rd and 4th year. I can't remember the specifics of the call schedule but I know for PGY2 call is q6 (can take at home call if on weekend).

5. Faculty: Those I met were nice, can't comment much otherwise.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Indianapolis is really growing and I liked it more than I thought I would. It's a medium sized city with reasonable cost of living. Not as exciting as Chicago/NYC, etc but it's a good fit for those who want some of the amenities of a big city without the fast pace. The residents seemed like they had a good work/life balance.

Overall I highly recommend this program for anyone looking to stay in the midwest or open to moving there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a lot more programs I haven't reviewed yet but it's too many to go through all of them currently. If anyone has any requests just let me know and I'll review that specific program.

Remaining programs to review:
1. Northwestern
2. UTHSC- San Antonio
3. U Washington
4. U Penn
5. UIC
6. U Chicago
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. U Maryland
9. UT Southwestern - Austin

Last edited:
I have a lot more programs I haven't reviewed yet but it's too many to go through all of them currently. If anyone has any requests just let me know and I'll review that specific programs.

1. Northwestern
2. UTHSCA
3. U Washington
4. U Penn
5. UIC
6. U Chicago
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. U Maryland

UT Southwestern-Austin please, if you have the time :)

I can also write about WashU, Duke and MCW if anyone wants a specific review. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this wonderful resource. Even though I’m biased because I applied this year, I think this year’s thread is the best! It’s the longest and the most read out of all the years going by the forum statistics alone. And if someone has the patience to count, I bet we'd have the most reviews written in one year as well. If not, lets make it so! ;)

I can also write about WashU, Duke and MCW if anyone wants a specific review.

Do that. Even if somebody doesn't specifically say that they want a specific review, many people will actually want one.

The Chicago programs please! Especially Northwestern

Indiana U

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner. Lunch with residents. Accommodations at a really nice upscale hotel downtown. Transportation was provided to interview site AND to airport!

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):Breakfast, overview with PD, 3-4 interviews (standard questions), lunch, hospital tour then finish up with brief tour of Indianapolis.

4. Program Overview: This was one of the surprises for me on the interview trail. I honestly feel that if this program was located on one of the coasts it would be one of the more competitive psychiatry programs. However, given that it's in the midwest it doesn't get as much love. First of all, the nicest group of residents I met on the interview trail (and that's saying a lot because everyone was pretty nice). The facilities are really nice. Every hospital we saw was beautiful and they are building a new county hospital (opening this year, I believe). There is a wide variety of clinical sites and experiences (telepsychiatry, TMS training, state hospital exposure). Start seeing CBT patients in second year and elective time is spread throughout 3rd and 4th year. I can't remember the specifics of the call schedule but I know for PGY2 call is q6 (can take at home call if on weekend).

5. Faculty: Those I met were nice, can't comment much otherwise.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Indianapolis is really growing and I liked it more than I thought I would. It's a medium sized city with reasonable cost of living. Not as exciting as Chicago/NYC, etc but it's a good fit for those who want some of the amenities of a big city without the fast pace. The residents seemed like they had a good work/life balance.

Overall I highly recommend this program for anyone looking to stay in the midwest or open to moving there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a lot more programs I haven't reviewed yet but it's too many to go through all of them currently. If anyone has any requests just let me know and I'll review that specific program.

1. Northwestern
2. UTHSC- San Antonio
3. U Washington
4. U Penn
5. UIC
6. U Chicago
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. U Maryland

Ok, I've gotten requests for most of the programs so I guess I'll end up reviewing all of them anyways. :writer::writer::writer:

Northwestern:

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview three-course dinner. Lunch with residents. No accommodations or transportation provided but interview site accessible by foot if staying in area.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):Light breakfast and overview with PD, tour, 3-4 interviews (standard questions), lunch, short presentation by faculty member on a topic/research project they are working on,wrap-up with PD.

4. Program Overview: First of all let me just say Dr. Anzia is amazing! Probably the best PD I met on the interview trail. She takes on a loving motherly attitude toward her residents. She knows their back-stories by heart and it's obvious that she cares about them and supports them. She's a great asset to the program and a lot of residents mentioned that she was a big factor in choosing the program. You start seeing outpatients in 2nd year and you can follow the same panel through graduation. If I remember correctly training in couples/family therapy is available too. Specialty clinics include neuromodulation, women's health, addiction psych and neuropsych. All sites within walking distance from each other except VA and there is a shuttle to the VA available. Northwestern does not just see the worried well. Since they are located in downtown Chicago you do get some well-off/business exec type population but in my opinion the population is about as varied as the other Chicago programs. Most intellectual residents of the three Chicago programs I interviewed at.

5. Faculty: I liked everyone I met. However one of the weaknesses of this program (which Dr. Anzia said they are trying to address) is the lack of racial diversity among residents and faculty. The newest hires/resident classes reflect that change but there is still a ways to go.

6. Location & Lifestyle: I personally like Chicago a lot. Great food (important to me), ample public transportation and the diverse entertainment option of a big city. It's not as busy as NYC or LA but I consider that a plus. Northwestern is in a desirable part of Chicago so living nearby may be pricey but convenient.

7. Salary & Benefits: Starts at 52K salary,most of all the Chicago programs, I believe. Free iPad, etc.

In my humble opinion, this is the best Chicago program. (Tied for 2nd/3rd would be UIC/UofC, 4th Rush, 5th Loyola). One thing I didn't know about Chicago before interviewing is that Chicago is a city of neighborhoods and although the city of Chicago as a whole may be ethnically diverse an individual neighborhood may not be. Because there are so many great hospitals to choose from people just tend to go to the one closest to them and thus the hospital population reflects the surrounding neighborhood population. So while you may get somewhat different primary populations at UIC vs UofC vs NW, they all have about the same amount of variety.

I have been meaning to post reviews for awhile, but after writing a lengthy review of University of Arizona in the past - I have procrastinated on writing more, as it is time consuming. As such, I'll keep things in my own format, and just write my perceptions on programs. Disclaimer: these are my impressions of programs, and I may be prone to error. Some of the reviews below contain some factual info, and others contain more feelings and opinions. For those who are applying this coming year, please corroborate my information with other sources.

Also, for DO students, a point to note is that I only took the COMLEX and these places all granted me interviews.

Kansas University - Wichita:

The program paid for my hotel stay. The faculty seemed really warm and friendly. The PD and chief residents even came to our hotel to meet us, which was super nice. After our interview the next day, the PC even dropped us off at the airport. Interviews were really laid back, and I felt the program went out of their way to be warm and friendly. They have a faculty member, Dr. Preskorn(?) who does psychopharm and has been teaching for nearly 30 years, I believe. He seemed amazing, and he even gave us a copy of his book on depression as a gift. Although I was treated wonderfully, I did not rank this program as high on my list, because I was concerned about the downsizing of the resident body from 6 residents last year to 4 this year. (I don't know if that is something to be concerned about or not). Also, Wichita is a small city, and if you are coming from a larger city, you might feel like there isn't that much to do here. But I really liked how nice everyone was. I do not recall this program having any psychiatry fellowships (though a quick glance at their website shows that they have a neuropsych fellowship). However, I know their graduates have gone on to other fellowships (like child) at decent programs.

Case Western - University Hospitals:

This was one of my favorite programs. This place had the midwest charm and friendliness, while at the same time seeming more formal like the east coast. Residents and faculty that I encountered seemed more intellectual here, compared to other programs I interviewed at. I loved their elective opportunities, and the fact that you get to do 2 electives in your 2nd year (instead of having to wait until 4th year). The PD seemed very gracious and kind. And I enjoyed my interviews with the other faculty, and had a particularly fun intellectual conversation with one of the fellowship directors. They have very cool electives in things like marital/sexual health, college student mental health, ethics, etc. They also were only 1 of 2 programs I interviewed at that had every fellowship available in psychiatry. Their forensic psychiatry is very renowned, especially having Dr. Resnick there. I felt like the program was heavy into teaching. Cleveland is near the lake, and their winters are pretty darn cold. The weather is also overcast most of the time. One of their inpatient psych units is a good drive from the rest of the hospitals.

University of Alabama - Birmingham:

I was surprised at how much I loved this program. It's amazing. The PD and faculty who I interviewed with seemed very friendly and approachable. For my interview, I had to pay for my own hotel, and the hotels in the area that were recommended were very expensive (like $120-160). All of the hospitals are next door to one another, so you can park at any of them and walk to the other. I was told that one of the residents doesn't have a car, but she manages to live nearby and can walk to work. However, the area near the hospital is pretty expensive to live. They do not have all of the fellowship programs, but they do have several. The clinical training seemed strong, and they even have a research track if you are interested in that. Residents were very friendly. I was a bit afraid of the conservative culture of the south, as I had never lived there - but Birmingham is a more diverse city (having people at UAB from different walks of life), so I was pleasantly surprised. The weather in Birmingham is also much nicer than many of the frigid midwest programs I interviewed at. Post-interview, I did receive an email from one of the chiefs, telling me that they were interested in me, and wanting to know how I felt about their program.

Ohio State University:

I really liked the PD. She has a reserved demeanor, but she is very kind (and very resident-focused, from what others have told me). At my interview, she seemed genuinely interested in my interests, and even told me that she'd be willing to help me obtain a 4th year elective outside of the psych department (the elective I was interested in was offered through family med). The PC was very friendly also. The program offers several fellowships, though not all (although I think they were hoping to have all of the fellowships in the near future). They also have 8 incoming interns. Most of the hospitals were also very close to one another, with the main hospitals being on the OSU campus. Columbus is also a great college city, with plenty to do. It is warmer than other midwest cities that I interviewed at, as it is farther from the lake. I also remember the residents talking about how you can get free dry-cleaning any time you want here, and you get a good number of psychiatry books purchased for you from the program.

Medical College of Wisconsin:

I really liked this program a lot as it was one of my favorite programs, and felt that I would get great psychotherapy training here. Unlike most programs, they have the psychotherapy year in year 2 instead of year 3 - as this gives greater longitudinal care. Since I'm very interested in therapy, I really liked this approach as I felt like putting in outpatient psych in year 2 would reduce the chances of me getting burned out with inpatient psych if I had 2 years together (like other programs). Part of the reason why the clinical training is so great here is that they have a variety of settings - you get the county hospital experience with the severely mentally ill, the VA experience with PTSD and substance abuse etc, and a psychotherapy center with many psychoanalysts. They have some research opportunities (like HIV psychiatry), but are otherwise somewhat limited in research. The chair even told me that if someone was very interested in research, that this program may not be the right fit, as strong clinical training was their focus over research. Milwaukee is on the lake and it does get very very cold in the winters. The hospitals are also pretty spread out in the city, so it's impossible to live next to all of them - however, they are all within a 15 minute drive of each other. Compared to other programs, the starting salary is high here (mid-50s), and I believe there are moonlighting opportunities starting in 2nd year. This was the only other program that I interviewed at (in addition to Case Western) that had ALL of the psych fellowships, so you will get great exposure to specialists here. By the way, this program also pays for most of your interview day hotel stay expense as they reimburse you for the pre-tax portion of your room (so you essentially just pay the tax on the room).

Maricopa County, Arizona:

This is a county program, and as such, you will see a great amount of pathology. I know people who have gone through the program, who were very satisfied with their training. They also have a child fellowship here. The PD came off as being a bit reserved. The PC was friendly on interview day (however, I knew her in the past, and have very mixed feelings, as she would ignore my emails prior to my application). My interviewers were all very friendly. The only reason I ranked this program lower on my list, is because they prepare graduates for a career in inpatient psychiatry (being a country program). Even their outpatient year focuses more on underserved, and their didactics are geared towards CBT (as I was told that learning psychodynamic psychotherapy is not as conducive to helping an underserved population with severe mental illness). So if your goal is to have a cash-based practice someday treating the "worried well" with psychodynamic approaches, this is likely not the best program for your interests. On the other hand, I know others who ranked this program #1 as the SMI population exposure is exactly what they wanted. Phoenix is also a very large metropolitan with numerous resources. Weather is hot and dry in the summer and fall (from May - Oct) and can get up into the 110s to 120s. But it is very pleasant the other months with no snow, as it rarely goes below 30 degrees Fahrenheit even in the coldest months.

Banner Good Samaritan, Phoenix AZ:

This is the other community program in Phoenix. You will spend most of your time at the Banner Good Sam hospital, with a few months at the VA. (You may also have opportunities to get a rotation at the children's hospital, the state hospital, or community outpatient clinics in your 4th year.) This hospital has a great reputation of attendings liking to teach during rounds. Residents here told me that they are very happy with their program. However, the unfortunate part is that there is no county experience (as the Maricopa country psychiatry residents take that). If you want to see more mentally ill, there is a rotation at the state hospital. But overall, one of the downsides is that you have less exposure to severe mental illness, compared to other programs. You also have far less formal didactics than other programs, as it is a single hour per week. Additionally, didactics are repeated in year 2 (with the same didactics in year 1), and you can fill in the gaps on the didactics you missed the first time around. What I mean by this is that psychiatry didactics are not protected in your medicine and neurology months, so in year 2, you can sit in for those didactics that you missed in year 1. This issue of didactics being only an hour a week is something that (I believe) was just changed this year, so it is a new thing. I talked to a resident who didn't mind the one hour didactics, as she said she prefers to read on her own anyways, and less didactics was good for her since she didn't want to spend as much time away from the patients (since she'd have the same amount of work to do whether she was on rotations or on didactics). Another thing is that all residents have to stay until 4:30pm each day (even if they finish work earlier in the day) to hand off the pager to the next resident. There are only 5 residents, and the group is very close knit. There is no night float in psychiatry (though there is night float in your medicine months). The nice thing about having all rotations in the same hospital (except your VA months) is that you will keep in close contact with other psych residents for support, and will keep seeing other residents from other services there too - which makes it easy to feel at home quickly. Research opportunities overall are limited. However, there is the Banner Alzheimer's institute that you can get involved with. Also, you can start seeing a few outpatients in year 2 for a more longitudinal therapy experience. No fellowships in-house, though it hasn't been a big deal of residents finding fellowships if they wanted.

University of Nevada - Reno:

I just remember how laid back and friendly everyone was, especially the PD. I mistook him for one of the residents. :) Residents seemed very happy. All of their call was home call, and they only had to come in to the hospital if needed (but usually not). There is not much to do in Reno, though there are several casinos if that is your thing. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can do some of your 4th year electives at the Las Vegas program, if you'd like.

Louisiana State University - New Orleans/Oschner:

I remember how nice everyone was, from the chair to the PD to the PC to the residents. Very laid back interview day. New Orleans is a fun city, and there is a lot of pathology here. This program does not rotate through the VA (as I believe Tulane rotates at the VA instead). The one thing that stood out to me was that they had a half day a week for the duration of 3rd year in which you could pick a specialty clinic to rotate through - such as a bariatric clinic, a gastroenterology clinic (seeing irritable bowel etc). I hadn't seen those types of specialty clinics at other programs. As far as interview day goes, my hotel stay was paid for by the program - and the hotel was part of the Oschner hospital, which was nice as the interview location was a 5 minute walk from my room.

University of Arizona - South campus:

This is the sister program of University of AZ main campus, both of which are in Tucson about 6 miles apart. I wrote an extended review of the U of A main campus earlier in this thread, and many of the features are the same (same pay, vacations etc). The chair of the program is the same, although there are 2 separate PDs. However, each PD regularly travels to the other location, so there is huge collaboration between both programs. (There is rumor that these 2 programs may merge in future, although there is no set date at present.) Each program has 6 residents. Although I expected that many people would prefer the main campus (since it is a university program), there were actually many applicants I encountered who actually preferred the south campus better, as it is a blend of community and university. You get the community hospital, which is a county experience with many involuntary patients and a psych ER. There is also a court house in the hospital. Since you have most of your rotations at this hospital, there is much less time at the VA (as the main campus has many more VA rotation months). Being that this hospital is in south Tucson, you are a bit removed from the research department at the main University Medical Center (main campus); however, you can choose to do research with those faculty if you'd like - although you have to commute more to access them. The didactic half day is shared between both campuses, and usually it is on the main campus, so you will get to know residents from the main program as well. Although you will get family therapy in both programs, I heard that the south campus has more training specific to marital therapy than the main campus, as they have a faculty there at south campus who teaches that. I had a resident at south campus confess to me that sometimes the attendings at south campus are more overworked than main campus, and thus have less time to teach on rounds as they are spread too thin. However, patient load is capped at (I believe) 6 patients per day on psych months, and 4(?) patients on medicine months (which is less than main campus) - so at least residents aren't too overloaded.

Texas A&M - Scott and White:

This program is in Temple, Texas about an hour drive away from Austin. I interviewed there during the snowstorm in December, and the city was entirely unprepared for the snow as they hadn't seen such weather in many many years. There is no direct flight to Temple, so if you are coming from out-of-state, you either need to come through Austin or Waco. I made the mistake of coming through Waco (a small airport), which left me stranded there for 2 additional days due to inclement weather. Despite Temple being a small city, I still liked the environment better than many other of the small cities I interviewed at. Hotel for the night before the interview was paid for by the program, which was very kind of them. Pre-interview day was a bit rough for me, as this was the only program in which I was not offered a ride by the residents to the dinner - so I had to find my way there to the faculty's home (over 15 miles away), and I ended up getting lost on the way. I was sick during interview day, but the PD was so kind and thoughtful, and left mid-interview to get me water. I felt the PD and chair (and even the child fellowship director I interviewed with) were extremely approachable and that they really cared about resident well-being. One of the chief residents told me that this program gives current residents a lot of input in selecting the new class of interns. She told me that there aren't many set 4th year electives, but that the program will help put together electives for the resident tailored to their interest. Although there aren't many set research options as they don't consider themselves a research program, they'd be happy to help a resident find research opportunities if he/she desired. Most of your rotations would be at the main Scott and White hospital, though there is also a VA. They have a child fellowship as well. Some weeks after the interview, I was told that the program was interested in me and I was offered the option for a second look, although I was not able to take up on it. I truly felt that I'd be very happy at this program, and would be well supported to becoming an excellent doc. The main reasons why I ranked it slightly lower on my list (compared to the program I matched at) was nothing the program could change... as if this program had been in a city like Austin, it would have likely been a top choice. For instance, because there is no airport in the city, my relatives who came to visit would have to drive an extra hour, as would I when I went to visit family. Also, this program has a lot of young married couples and families - so if you are single and looking to mingle (as I am), you will likely have less options in meeting other single folks than in a larger city. I met another residency applicant on the interview trail (a med student at S&W) and she told me she was eagerly awaiting moving out of the city so that she could find a place to meet single men, as that wasn't going to happen in Temple.

West Virginia University:

I am embarrassed to say that I don't remember a huge amount about my interview experience. I remember everyone was nice and friendly (esp the PD), and the residents said they felt very happy at the program and the support they were receiving. They have 3 fellowships (child, psychosomatic, and forensic). I also remember feeling impressed with the education that I'd be receiving. Flights to Morgantown were super expensive, so I had to fly-in to Pittsburgh and drive to West Virginia. The program paid for 1 night's hotel stay in Morgantown for me. Morgantown is a nice college town, though still a fairly small city. However, there are many larger cities within a few hours drive away - so you could make day trips elsewhere, if you needed to take a break and get out of town. It does get warm and humid in summers and snowy in winters.

Wayne State/ Detroit Medical Center:

I had this interview scheduled in January, and almost missed the interview as my inbound connecting flight from Chicago was cancelled, leaving me stranded (which is something to consider for those scheduling winter interviews). Luckily I had a friend in the area who was able to pick me up from another airport (Toledo, which I could fly to), and drive me to Detroit. So trying to get to Detroit was difficult in inclement weather, and luckily there was no pre-interview dinner. Apparently they do have a few pre-interview dinners during interview season, but not for all interview dates. Hotel was not covered, although they give you some suggested hotels that give discounted rates to residency applicants. I had heard scary things about living in Detroit, and there are some bad areas, but residents said they knew which part of town to live (most lived in Royal Oak). My interview day was laid-back (as were all my psych interviews). I found myself being amused by the PD's dry sense of humor, though I also found him difficult to read. This program also has a LOT of research opportunities, for those who are interested in research. They also have a sizeable Arab-American population in the area, for anyone who wants exposure working with this group - as they even have opportunities in counseling Middle Eastern war/torture survivors. There are also fellowships in child, geri, and addiction psych.

University of Texas Health Science Center - San Antonio:

I ranked this program highly as there were many features about it that I liked. I liked San Antonio as a city, as it is warm (though humid). It is also only 1 of 2 programs in the country that works with active military. You get training with active military, the veterans population, as well as the general population. This program is also one of the largest programs in the country, as the residents include both civilian and military. I believe there would be 16 incoming interns this year, with 10 civilian and 6 military (at least that is what I was told). As far as interview day goes, my hotel was paid for by the program, which was nice. The PD also has a reputation for being amazing, and also leads the geriatric psych fellowship (and his wife, also a psychiatrist, is part of the child psych fellowship). According to the website, the program has fellowships in child, geri, and psychosomatic... but I had an interview day mishap, as the PD told me during my interview that they didn't have psychosomatic but that they had addiction (I think?? I was really confused here?), which led to some awkward silence and my interview was over with him too fast as he likely thought I didn't come prepared. I don't think I did anything wrong as I just went off the website, but I think someone should confirm with a resident what fellowships they have, so that they don't have the same awkward experience that I did. My other interviews at the program went extremely well (and another faculty even mentioned how much he loved talking with me, and that the interview flew by way too fast). Although it didn't go so well with the PD, I still have a favorable impression of him from all the great things I've heard. I have some interest in eating disorders, so I asked a resident about that, and was told that they used to have someone there who taught eating disorders, but that faculty had left. So you may not get in-depth exposure to eating disorders if that is your interest, but you will incidentally see some of it, as you have a lot of young people in your care who will also be suffering with eating issues. I was also told that if you can find elective or research experiences for your 4th year, that the program would be open and supportive of it.

------
I'm not sure if these short blurbs help future applicants or not, but I hope so!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Do that. Even if somebody doesn't specifically say that they want a specific review, many people will actually want one.

Will do Shan. But considering writing one review took me a whole hour, it is going be a while before I will be posting the other two. But I’ll try to post them before Sep 15! :D