2013 - 2014 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just called Teacher's College and they said they have not sent out all of the Clinical Psych interviews yet but if you don't hear back by the end of this week you can assume you have been rejected

Good luck! *fingers crossed* :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else heard back from university of Kansas clinical phd adult track after interviews? So far I know one person has, but I haven't heard anything

Thanks!

To anyone who has gone through the grad application process before-

Are acceptances usually doled out all at once, or do they usually trickle in over a period of a few weeks? I would love some feedback from anyone who is familiar with this process. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To the person that got accepted to Nova's PsyD congrats! How was the interview? When did you interview? I have one on Monday so want to be as prepared as possible, thanks and congrats again!

Still "no decision." :p if anyone calls to ask them for an update can you post the response here?

I finally reached them and it's bad news if you haven't yet received an email invitation to interview - the woman said they've all been sent out. Womp womp. Would've been nice to receive notice before now. But good luck to everyone!

I finally reached them and it's bad news if you haven't yet received an email invitation to interview - the woman said they've all been sent out. Womp womp. Would've been nice to receive notice before now. But good luck to everyone!

Well, as suspected. Live to fight another day!

Just called Teacher's College and they said they have not sent out all of the Clinical Psych interviews yet but if you don't hear back by the end of this week you can assume you have been rejected

Yeah whoever said they were all sent out was wrong--I just now got an invite to TC. The interview day is Tuesday 2/25

Has anyone heard back from virginia consortium since the interview? They said they would say something last week, so I am assuming bad news

Anyone who interviewed with Wright State's PsyD program, have you heard back yet about acceptances/rejections? I haven't seen anything on SDN or GradCafe, and I thought they'd let us know by the end of today.

I would keep in mind that the East Coast (including the south) had a lot of snow late last week. So places might not be getting back to you as quickly as they would like to (at least this is what I'm telling myself).

I emailed them and they said the same thing to me.

School Name: La Salle
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/19/14
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: email
Interview Date: 3/14/14

Members don't see this ad :)
To the people asking about Teacher's College- do you know if that was Counseling or Clinical? Thanks so much!

They cut some people based solely on GRE scores. That means that they committed fraud by lying that all applications will be reviewed holistically when that simply was /is not the truth at all :( Apparently, academic fraud is acceptable but I for one will not trust TC Columbia ever again. Sorry to everyone who got lied to.

Last edited:
They cut some people based solely on GRE scores. That means that they committed fraud by lying that all applications will be reviewed holistically when that simply was /is not the truth at all :( Apparently, academic fraud is acceptable but I for one will not trust TC Columbia ever again. Sorry to everyone who got lied to.

How did you find this out? That definitely bothers me, because in addition to having a good research interest match with my POI, I also chose to apply there because they don't mention GRE cutoffs on their website. Not that mine are super horrible, but I felt that with my 4 publications I would be getting a holistic review.

I am not too sad about it though, as I don't believe their program (I applied to counseling) is funded.

Unless you have absolute fact, pretty strong statement. But honestly, if an applicant has really low GRE scores their chances of getting into any program is low as psych phd programs, especially funded ones are often more competitive than med school. I'm
not saying it's right because I don't think standardized testing is always fair measure but some schools get 800 applications for 6 spots! They have to pare it down! I am speaking for clinical psych.

Last edited:
How did you find this out? That definitely bothers me, because in addition to having a good research interest match with my POI, I also chose to apply there because they don't mention GRE cutoffs on their website. Not that mine are super horrible, but I felt that with my 4 publications I would be getting a holistic review.

I am not too sad about it though, as I don't believe their program (I applied to counseling) is funded.

They are talking about the clinical program, not counseling.

Unless you have absolute fact, pretty strong statement. But honestly, if an applicant has really low GRE scores their chances of getting into any program is low as psych phd programs, especially funded ones are often more competitive than med school. I'm
not saying it's right because I don't think standardized testing is always fair measure but some schools get 800 applications for 6 spots! They have to pare it down!

It's been confirmed by two people. This is for clinical psych ph.d. only, not sure about any of the other tracks. If they have a gre cutoff (which is a whole other topic for discussion in regards to fairness/discrimination etc) then they should have stated that to begin with so applicants can decide for themselves whether or not to apply. But to mislead applicants and not say anything about the gre cutoff is just plain fraudulent :( Are they so desperate for money? How and why do they even get away with this sort of behavior/actions?

It's been confirmed by two people. This is for clinical psych ph.d. only, not sure about any of the other tracks. If they have a gre cutoff (which is a whole other topic for discussion in regards to fairness/discrimination etc) then they should have stated that to begin with so applicants can decide for themselves whether or not to apply. But to mislead applicants and not say anything about the gre cutoff is just plain fraudulent :( Are they so desperate for money? How and why do they even get away with this sort of behavior/actions?
They do not state on their website that GRE scores are not considered. They may not list a cut off but of course they are considered!

I wouldn't honestly worry about it too much. They don't even provide full funding, unless you self-identify as gay and get that scholarship; otherwise, they say that grants cover about 25-50% of tuition and that most students work part time. Sorry, but I wouldn't want to work part time while in a PhD program.

Reactions: 3 users
I know they are. I was wondering if the same method for reviewing applicants applied to both programs.

No, they are separate programs and do not interact with each other. I know this because I have a friend in the counseling psych doctoral program. FYI they also do holistic reviewing.

They do not state on their website that GRE scores are not considered.

They do not state that there is a GRE score cutoff. Instead, they state that all applications will be reviewed holistically. That was not the case since they cut some people based solely on GRE scores (although not everyone with a low gre score got cut so not sure what criteria they used to determine this cutoff) meaning they didnt review all applications holistically as promised. That is fraud.

No, they are separate programs and do not interact with each other. I know this because I have a friend in the counseling psych doctoral program. FYI they also do holistic reviewing.
I know they are separate! I applied to one of them and am well aware. I was asking if they knew of GRE cutoffs for counseling as well, because the website did not state anything regarding cutoffs while applying, so it is odd to hear his/her information after the fact.

In any event, @imwaitingimpatiently, it baffles me at the schools I have gotten invites at vs. the ones I haven't, in terms of the program quality and funding opportunities. I assume many people are equally confused with some of their outcomes - ie, getting interviews at fully funded programs and not getting interviews at others. Even though TC states it reviews apps holistically, I always looked at the mean subtest GRE scores and decided if it was worth my time applying there.

I know they are separate! I applied to one of them and am well aware. I was asking if they knew of GRE cutoffs for counseling as well, because the website did not state anything regarding cutoffs while applying, so it is odd to hear his/her information after the fact.

I'm sorry but I was referring to the clinical psychology ph.d. track. I dont know about any other track although they mentioned that each program can make these decisions on their own. I would call the track/program you applied to an inquire with them. Good luck!

I'm sorry but I was referring to the clinical psychology ph.d. track. I dont know about any other track although they mentioned that each program can make these decisions on their own. I would call the track/program you applied to an inquire with them. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind words - I am 100% sure all interview invites have gone out, but I am ok with that because, like I said, lack of funding. :)

I wouldn't honestly worry about it too much. They don't even provide full funding, unless you self-identify as gay and get that scholarship; otherwise, they say that grants cover about 25-50% of tuition and that most students work part time. Sorry, but I wouldn't want to work part time while in a PhD program.

This is one of the most offensive posts I think I've ever read. I get it that some applicants get hyper-sensitive when they're rejected, but wow. Wow.

Reactions: 1 users
This is one of the most offensive posts I think I've ever read. I get it that some applicants get hyper-sensitive when they're rejected, but wow. Wow.

I'm sorry, I was taking that information from their website: "Since 1993, the Clinical Psychology Program has also granted partial scholarships via the James S. Scappaticcio Fellowship for Gay Men and Lesbian doctoral candidates in Clinical Psychology. Tuition grants are available for one or two “self-identified gay clinical doctoral candidates”;"

We have discussed in this and several other threads many times before about not going to non-fully-funded PhD programs based on debt-to-future income ratio. I am pretty positive I made no other statements other than what they provide for funding and who they provide it to.

I'm sorry, I was taking that information from their website: "Since 1993, the Clinical Psychology Program has also granted partial scholarships via the James S. Scappaticcio Fellowship for Gay Men and Lesbian doctoral candidates in Clinical Psychology. Tuition grants are available for one or two “self-identified gay clinical doctoral candidates”;"

We have discussed in this and several other threads many times before about not going to non-fully-funded PhD programs based on debt-to-future income ratio. I am pretty positive I made no other statements other than what they provide for funding and who they provide it to.

These are separate issues. Sure, apparently this program ALSO has granted (and not for every student) "partial scholarships...for... Gay Men and Lesbian doctoral candidates in Clinical Psychology". That does NOT mean that funding is greater for gay or lesbian students - just that the SOURCE of funding might be different.

I agree that applicants should think very carefully about non fully-funded programs, but these are entirely separate issues.

These are separate issues. Sure, apparently this program ALSO has granted (and not for every student) "partial scholarships...for... Gay Men and Lesbian doctoral candidates in Clinical Psychology". That does NOT mean that funding is greater for gay or lesbian students - just that the SOURCE of funding might be different.

I agree that applicants should think very carefully about non fully-funded programs, but these are entirely separate issues.

Here's the entire statement:

Since 1993, the Clinical Psychology Program has also granted partial scholarships via the James S. Scappaticcio Fellowship for Gay Men and Lesbian doctoral candidates in Clinical Psychology. Tuition grants are available for one or two “self-identified gay clinical doctoral candidates”; small grants-in-aid are also made available for research on topics relevant to homosexuality, including psychological and/or psychosocial aspects of AIDS or HIV treatment. Since 2005, the program has also granted one to two partial scholarships for students in the child-track via the Jodi Lane Scholarship Fund. Priority is given to those students studying psychological disorders in children. The program currently does not have NIMH-funded traineeships to offer. Most doctoral students with significant financial need obtain help in the form of a tuition scholarship that covers approximately 25-50% of the cost of a year’s tuition; some also receive stipends from faculty research grants. Most students also work part-time to cover expenses.

I agree that the source of funding is different. But I bolded the part about tuition grants for self-identifying students, because other than studying homosexuality, AIDS/HIV or children, the only way to get other funding is by having significant financial need, in which case tuition is covered by up to half. At a fully-funded program, you do not need to demonstrate significant financial need to get funding. At TC, you would need to in order to be eligible, unless you study the topics they have mentioned or qualify based on personal factors.

Anyone who interviewed with Wright State's PsyD program, have you heard back yet about acceptances/rejections? I haven't seen anything on SDN or GradCafe, and I thought they'd let us know by the end of today.

I interviewed at Wright and haven't heard back yet, either! I've been compulsively looking at my phone all day. Hopefully they're just running a little behind? I hope no call doesn't mean rejection :/

Hello all. Is anyone else still (anxiously!) waiting to hear back from Michigan State post-interview?

Has anybody heard anything from The New School of Social Research? Anything at all?

I just want to throw out a word of caution based on my reaction scrolling through the last few posts on this thread.

First, funding is important. True. Yet, I'm seeing the phrase "fully-funded Ph.D. program" being tossed around as if there are a ton of Ph.D. programs graduating students without debt and that to go anywhere else is a foolish decision. Funding is not the end-all-be-all! I would turn down a "fully-funded Ph.D. program" to attend one that has less than full funding (e.g., I'm going to have to take out some federal loans) if it means that I get to have a better mentorship match and a program that is clearly going to meet my career needs. Also keep in mind that loan repayment programs do exist and can help you pay back your loans.

Very few people make it out without any debt; don't be the sucker who takes out $100K in student loans. Find a good mentor and quality program and let the chips fall where the land.

Reactions: 2 users
Very few people make it out without any debt; don't be the sucker who takes out $100K in student loans. Find a good mentor and quality program and let the chips fall where the land.

I do agree with this and you make a very important point - in fact I would expect to take out loans for living expenses, etc. However, I would say that not covering a majority of tuition can easily add up to $100k taken out in student loans, especially while living in a city like NYC. A good mentor can be invaluable, but I would not want to start off my career in a huge amount of debt.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread needs to be about interviews/rejections/acceptances and not about lecturing others on financial aid or being angry at schools, etc. Take it somewhere else ppl :]

Reactions: 8 users
haha, noted
This thread needs to be about interviews/rejections/acceptances and not about lecturing others on financial aid or being angry at schools, etc. Take it somewhere else ppl :]

When I called two wks ago, the admissions woman said they don't offer interviews for the MA program and you will simply get a yes/no in March.
I was contacted by POI from The New School for Social Research today.

Anyone hear from Rosalind Franklin this week.... Bueller?

I was invited to pay them an informal visit - I don't know whether they conduct official interviews.
Yea the admissions woman said they might contact you if they want more info but they typically don't do interviews for the MA program

Got an email from POI at George Washington University Ph.D. that I have been "short Listed", which I assume means wait listed. Anyone had/has the same experience?

I received the same email! At first I thought it meant wait listed but if you read very closely it says that they have not sent any acceptances out yet because they are waiting to hear back how many packages they can offer. At the bottom of the email it also says something along the lines of "if you have accepted another offer, please let us know so we can open up your slot". To me that means as of now we have a "slot"...but I don't know! It's making me so nervous. There are two people on grad cafe who listed they received this email and then 1 person said they were rejected post interview. ahhh!