2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite this morning! They're on November dates now

Btw what % of interviewees get accepted? Because I heard they interview very few people

Congrats! When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad.

II this week! Complete mid August. Any advice from people who have interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang- I was Complete 9/17 and haven't been small-pooled- maybe im up on the chopping block. Anyone mid-september been small-pooled yet? I have high hopes since I did research with two CMS alum.

Rejected today, no small pool.

Complete 9/4.

A shame, I did really want to go to a school in Chicago...still waiting on Loyola and Rush though. Good luck to everyone else.

Rejected today, no small pool.

Complete 9/4.

A shame, I did really want to go to a school in Chicago...still waiting on Loyola and Rush though. Good luck to everyone else.

If it makes you feel any better, we're not actually in Chicago. We're in the boonies of the Northern Chicago suburbs haha. Anyway, best of luck to you in the rest of the cycle!

Had a really conversational, relaxed interview day here. All of the staff and faculty were super nice, and seemed very supportive of students. Facilities seemed good, though the new building isn't quite open yet. And I thought our interview group had some cool people. Thumbs up.

That's good to hear. I just got an II today for sometime in November :). Can anyone give insights as to what the interviewers tend to favor (i.e. dedication to underserved).

That's good to hear. I just got an II today for sometime in November :). Can anyone give insights as to what the interviewers tend to favor (i.e. dedication to underserved).

Congrats! When were you complete? When were you small-pooled?

It's extremely interviewer dependent, just as it is at every other school. Be personable, answer ethical questions with a clear and intellectually justified point of view that doesn't demean those of others, and take an interest not only in the school but also in the person interviewing you.

Quick question, is the limit 2 pages total for both essays or 2 pages for EACH essay? I know its kinda late, but I currently have 1.5 pages for the first essay and about 1 page for the second essay.

Each essay can be max 2 pg

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, such high stats being rejected. :eek: What is CMS looking for? :confused:

Wow, such high stats being rejected. :eek: What is CMS looking for? :confused:

Large donations. :smuggrin:

But seriously, keep in mind that while we have around 200 slots total for MDs, there are two pre-matriculation programs (the BMS program and the PMP program) that eat up about 70-80 of those slots. There are a ton of qualified applicants, and admissions really tries to actually READ those essays you spent so much time on.

Large donations. :smuggrin:

But seriously, keep in mind that while we have around 200 slots total for MDs, there are two pre-matriculation programs (the BMS program and the PMP program) that eat up about 70-80 of those slots. There are a ton of qualified applicants, and admissions really tries to actually READ those essays you spent so much time on.

I cannot stress this enough. Both of my interviewers remembered some of my key sentences and key words from PS and secondary essays, asking me to discuss or elaborate more on what I meant by that. One interviewer even started our conversation by "So what computer games did you play?" as her first question. I was totally caught off guard because I did not think they paid attention to my secondaries. But they did.

I was very impressed and got the impression that they really took their time to read my essays. Out of 5+ interviews, only CMS gave me this impression.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread!! Thanks to the current students who are posting so much valuable information!

I interviewed here on 10/2 (OOS, 29, ~3.7). I really loved this school, and agree with everyone else that they are definitely interested in the applicant as a whole person rather than just numbers. I wasn't asked about the weak spot in my MCAT or about blemishes on my transcript, but rather about the experiences I have had and what brought me to RFU.

Does anyone know when they will be releasing acceptances? I'm dying to hear back :p:love:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread!! Thanks to the current students who are posting so much valuable information!

I interviewed here on 10/2 (OOS, 29, ~3.7). I really loved this school, and agree with everyone else that they are definitely interested in the applicant as a whole person rather than just numbers. I wasn't asked about the weak spot in my MCAT or about blemishes on my transcript, but rather about the experiences I have had and what brought me to RFU.

Does anyone know when they will be releasing acceptances? I'm dying to hear back :p:love:
also dying to hear back! on last year's thread, they started notifying on October 22nd... so it seems like it could be very soon :). anyone have any more info?

I saw on last years thread somebody called and asked, so I was wondering if anyone was that ambitious this year haha :p

I really really want to hear back soon!

Decided to withdraw my interview, good luck to everyone, hope one of you gets my interview spot.

Just a WARNING to anyone applying to this school! I am currently a 1st year medical student and we had a suddenly announced big meeting today on campus.

Turns out the school is on PROBATION by the LCME!

If they don't have their act together by mid December then they lose their accreditation!!!! The last dean (Robertsen) just resigned yesterday because of this fiasco!

:mad:

Just a WARNING to anyone applying to this school! I am currently a 1st year medical student and we had a suddenly announced big meeting today on campus.

If they don't have their act together by mid December then they lose their accreditation!!!! The last dean (Robertsen) just resigned yesterday because of this fiasco!

Holy sh**. I guess you don't have any further information as to what caused the probation?
Hopefully it's something that could be easily fixed by December.

[Edit]
I'm not seeing any changes on LCME or any news flashes on this at Google, so hoping this is either a troll post or an easy fix.

Holy sh**. I guess you don't have any further information as to what caused the probation?
Hopefully it's something that could be easily fixed by December.

[Edit]
I'm not seeing any changes on LCME or any news flashes on this at Google, so hoping this is either a troll post or an easy fix.

I apologize for my tone but I am not trolling. This was literally announced today so we may not see news articles for a while. You can contact any of the students that you may know, or even the admissions office may be able to tell you the same thing I told you. Right now I've already warned my friends who are in the app cycle and wanted to spread the word to you all... really wish I knew how much trouble the school was in before I chose to attend here.

They have guaranteed we will be MDs without penalty whether it be from here or a nearby medical school, if the accreditation fails. I am speechless right now... and we have a big exam coming up and anatomy practical soon and I can't study...

I apologize for my tone but I am not trolling. This was literally announced today so we may not see news articles for a while. You can contact any of the students that you may know, or even the admissions office may be able to tell you the same thing I told you. Right now I've already warned my friends who are in the app cycle and wanted to spread the word to you all... really wish I knew how much trouble the school was in before I chose to attend here.

They have guaranteed we will be MDs without penalty whether it be from here or a nearby medical school, if the accreditation fails. I am speechless right now... and we have a big exam coming up and anatomy practical soon and I can't study...

No need for apologies, I was just hoping this wouldn't be true I guess. :(
Can't imagine how awful you must be feeling..
Anyway, hopefully more details will be released pretty soon and it's an easy fix.

:( indeed. Really liked this place. Hope it turns out to be something silly.

can anyone else confirm this? Just want to make sure b/c that was a not so fun but long secondary that I spent a good amount of time on back in Aug...

I promise to give you more information as it comes out, but please don't cancel your interviews.

The school still has accreditation, and they by no means told us that it will be losing accreditation. There are other respected medical schools on LCME probation right now, and many other medical schools have been on LCME probation in the past and come out of it just as respected as they did before. GWU has been on probation previously, and they came out of probation with full accreditation.

Our Dean resigned to make room for our new Dean, who has a tremendous amount of experience with LCME accreditation. Students and faculty will be working closely with our new Dean to make the LCME-required modifications, all of which are extremely manageable.

Last edited:
You should really try to study. Most schools get out of probation unscathed. For RFU the non-compliance seems to be really minor and easily fixable. The worst thing you could do right now is lose the will to do work.

I promise to give you more information as it comes out, but please don't cancel your interviews.

The school still has accreditation, and they by no means told us that it will be losing accreditation. There are other respected medical schools on LCME probation right now, and many other medical schools have been on LCME probation in the past and come out of it just as respected as they did before. GWU has been on probation previously, and they came out of probation with full accreditation.

Our Dean resigned to make room for our new Dean, who has a tremendous amount of experience with LCME accreditation. Students and faculty will be working closely with our new Dean to make the LCME-required modifications, all of which are extremely manageable.
any idea what these accommodations are (if you can say)?

People always freak out about these, but for the medical students, it never seems to have any relevance. I'm sure there's some political and administrative mumbo jumbo I don't get, but as far as applying to a medical school, I could care less. :laugh:

any idea what these accommodations are (if you can say)?

Honestly, they're as ridiculous as "M2s dont have guaranteed locker space" to "University Objectives dont match the listed course objectives." Frankly, its just a paperwork thing. There is nothing egregious that CMS was cited for and it should be cleared up pretty quickly.

The real question is...when will we hear back from this school regarding acceptances? :)

Hello, I am Sara Nobbe, a recruiter with RFUMS. We met with all of our students today to explain the accreditation status of our school to them in person. As they heard, we are disappointed to share that the LCME has decided to assign probationary status to CMS. However, we remain fully accredited and the LCME's decision does not impact our current medical students' day-to-day activities, their ability to sit for boards, graduate or obtain residencies. We are working closely with the LCME to resolve the areas discussed today in the coming weeks.

We understand this news may cause you concern as you review your options for medical school applications. The recruitment team at CMS is committed to being available to answer any of your questions. Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

More information and an update about progress will be available on our website starting late next week. I will provide updates here as soon as I can.

Sara

Hello, I am Sara Nobbe, a recruiter with RFUMS. We met with all of our students today to explain the accreditation status of our school to them in person. As they heard, we are disappointed to share that the LCME has decided to assign probationary status to CMS. However, we remain fully accredited and the LCME's decision does not impact our current medical students' day-to-day activities, their ability to sit for boards, graduate or obtain residencies. We are working closely with the LCME to resolve the areas discussed today in the coming weeks.

We understand this news may cause you concern as you review your options for medical school applications. The recruitment team at CMS is committed to being available to answer any of your questions. Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

More information and an update about progress will be available on our website starting late next week. I will provide updates here as soon as I can.

Sara
thanks so much for being available to answer questions! do you know when RFUMS might start releasing decisions?

RFUMS has one of the most supportive and approachable faculty and administration I have ever encountered. I encourage all of you to take the information that has been placed before you with stride, wait for the official reports to come out and read the citations. As someone has mentioned before, it does come down to minor things that can, and will, be changed. The strength of this school is that it provides its students with education at a high and demanding standard while still giving us as much support and freedom to give feedback as possible. The knowledge you will gain is no less than at any other school, and you should keep that in mind. Take a look at the board scores and match list, both of which we do well in. Although I am only an M1, I can tell you I do not regret the decision to come to this school and turn down other options. With everything that has happened today, the way the faculty has reacted, and the events that have been set in motion, we will come out of this at the other end fine and improved. When you come to interview, forget for a moment the issues going on with the probation (easier said than done) but really be critical in evaluating if you will fit in, whether you feel welcome, and if you could see yourself sitting one of our auditoriums taking classes with some of the types of students you will meet on interview day. Think about whether our curriculum appeals to you, do you like the rotation sites, do you want a school with an international rotation, will I be distracted in this environment. These are the essential questions you should tackle when you visit, not just here, but any school.

The biggest advantage I see is that we are taught with professors whose commitment is first to the students. Physicians that are passionate about what they do and want to show you why they love what they do. Professors that are willing to welcome you into their office even if you just happen to walk by. Don't be bogged down by the administrative woes that will indeed be fixed. Take a comprehensive look at everything, don't come in with blinders already on.

If any of you would like more insight into the school and what its like to be a student here, NOT the probation problems, feel free to message me.

RFUMS has one of the most supportive and approachable faculty and administration I have ever encountered. I encourage all of you to take the information that has been placed before you with stride, wait for the official reports to come out and read the citations. As someone has mentioned before, it does come down to minor things that can, and will, be changed. The strength of this school is that it provides its students with education at a high and demanding standard while still giving us as much support and freedom to give feedback as possible. The knowledge you will gain is no less than at any other school, and you should keep that in mind. Take a look at the board scores and match list, both of which we do well in. Although I am only an M1, I can tell you I do not regret the decision to come to this school and turn down other options. With everything that has happened today, the way the faculty has reacted, and the events that have been set in motion, we will come out of this at the other end fine and improved. When you come to interview, forget for a moment the issues going on with the probation (easier said than done) but really be critical in evaluating if you will fit in, whether you feel welcome, and if you could see yourself sitting one of our auditoriums taking classes with some of the types of students you will meet on interview day. Think about whether our curriculum appeals to you, do you like the rotation sites, do you want a school with an international rotation, will I be distracted in this environment. These are the essential questions you should tackle when you visit, not just here, but any school.

The biggest advantage I see is that we are taught with professors whose commitment is first to the students. Physicians that are passionate about what they do and want to show you why they love what they do. Professors that are willing to welcome you into their office even if you just happen to walk by. Don't be bogged down by the administrative woes that will indeed be fixed. Take a comprehensive look at everything, don't come in with blinders already on.

If any of you would like more insight into the school and what its like to be a student here, NOT the probation problems, feel free to message me.

As a fellow M1 student, I completely agree. If you have any questions about the school or interviewing, send me a message as well!

I fully understand that this is probably a totally minor thing and may have no effect on the students and their futures as quality physicians, but I also think it may be important to consider for students applying here and those considering whether or not to attend. Wasn't RFU also on probation in 2005? It seems like 2 probations in 10 years is not a positive, regardless of whether the issues are "small," when only a very small number of schools encounter this issue. I liked this school during my interview day and saw a lot of positives, in addition to the pros given by current med students on this forum. But to me, this is still a red flag as far as the stability and the quality of the University itself :confused:

I fully understand that this is probably a totally minor thing and may have no effect on the students and their futures as quality physicians, but I also think it may be important to consider for students applying here and those considering whether or not to attend. Wasn't RFU also on probation in 2005? It seems like 2 probations in 10 years is not a positive, regardless of whether the issues are "small," when only a very small number of schools encounter this issue. I liked this school during my interview day and saw a lot of positives, in addition to the pros given by current med students on this forum. But to me, this is still a red flag as far as the stability and the quality of the University itself :confused:

If I were you, I'd e-mail Sara Nobbe since she's actually on our staff. She's made herself available, and she's probably the best resource. Again, [email protected] .

thanks so much for being available to answer questions! do you know when RFUMS might start releasing decisions?
Hello, I understand you are anxious to learn our decision on your application. As we participate in the AMCAS centralized admissions service, no offers are allowed to be sent out before a common deadline, which was this past week on October 15. We are currently reviewing applications and expect our first offers to go out later this week.

Hope this helps. Any questions at all, please email me at [email protected].

Best, Sara

How do you know when you get small pooled? Do they e-mail you?