2013-2014 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

One of my top choice programs! Lowish cGPA. Rush, please show me the love :D

I've heard nothing but great things about this program from student to go here.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hear it's a bear of a secondary, but it's worth it. anyone have the link to last year's?

just took a look at it a little long, but then again most of the things have a 1000 word max which if u think about it isn't too much. does rush send out secondaries to all applicants?

Hi all,

I was just looking at the rush web page about applications and it says that as soon as you have an AMCAS ID you can log in and complete their secondary. But, I went to the secondary page and it still only had information from last year's app cycle. Do they not open it up until June 28th?

Thanks!

The website says it opens in July.

Hey yall,

I was just wondering what the cutoff GPA/MCAT for this school was for interview purposes. Also, how beneficial would it be if a doctor who studied at Rush that I work with wrote me a letter of recommendation. Assuming it is a good LoR lawls. Thanks guys!

I will be applying here from California with a 3.8/30. Good luck everyone!

Hi all,

For second question from that sample supplementary "Describe your personal and academic preparation for a career as a physician. Include any changes in your career path, change of major, time gaps in your education, period of grades below a 3.0 level, and serious events/crises in your life that affected your path, either positively or negatively. (1000 characters max)", doesn't it have a personal statement-like vibe?

Not sure what new info they're looking for. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

For second question from that sample supplementary "Describe your personal and academic preparation for a career as a physician. Include any changes in your career path, change of major, time gaps in your education, period of grades below a 3.0 level, and serious events/crises in your life that affected your path, either positively or negatively. (1000 characters max)", doesn't it have a personal statement-like vibe?

Not sure what new info they're looking for. Thoughts?

Lol, I literally hit on all the applicable things in my PS too. I'm sure you can think of another small obstacle, perhaps, that you thought challenged your decision or maybe you saw something happen and you were inspired to keep working toward medicine.

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

2. Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.
Check all that apply.

3. Identify research in which you have been involved:

4. Identify your healthcare-related experience(s):

Question 1 is the only real essay, the rest are checking boxes that apply.

1. Describe personal attributes you possess or life experiences you have had that will enable you to better understand patients with a culture different from your own. Please include your self-reflection on how this experience has changed insights, beliefs, and/or values. (1000 characters)

2. Identify community service activities in which you have participated in during the last five years.
Check all that apply.

3. Identify research in which you have been involved:

4. Identify your healthcare-related experience(s):

Question 1 is the only real essay, the rest are checking boxes that apply.
Thanks so much! Were you verified when you got the secondary?

I got the secondary earlier as well :) So excited for this one! And it's not as bad as some of the others I got today! Go Rush!

Hi there,
Under the LoRs section of the application it says:
"Check the boxes next to the recommendations you prefer the admissions to review and click update. Identify 2 personal or 1 Premedical Committee Letter."

Do you guys see any boxes? I'm not sure how to complete this section. Is it because my LoRs are not yet received by the school?

Hi there,
Under the LoRs section of the application it says:
"Check the boxes next to the recommendations you prefer the admissions to review and click update. Identify 2 personal or 1 Premedical Committee Letter."

Do you guys see any boxes? I'm not sure how to complete this section. Is it because my LoRs are not yet received by the school?

Probably. Mine had a checkbox next to my committee letter and I just had to click that and a "submit." Now the LoR section is complete.

I see.. but you started your application with your Letters already submitted and received by AAMC, right?

Probably. Mine had a checkbox next to my committee letter and I just had to click that and a "submit." Now the LoR section is complete.

That's weird. My letters have been on AAMC for a while and they have been sent by AAMC to Rush but Rush is showing them as not received. I will have to give them a call tomorrow.

are they marking your letters as 'received'? My app says they haven't been received by Rush yet, but AMCAS received them a few days before sending out the primaries.

That's weird. My letters have been on AAMC for a while and they have been sent by AAMC to Rush but Rush is showing them as not received. I will have to give them a call tomorrow.

Just a heads up, there is no number to call at RMC.

I'm in the same boat, but i think it'll be fine. My LoR section is complete, like milkphlegms, but check the status and it says they're not received yet. However, they say in the confirmation note that "We will now ensure that your letters of recommendation are available to us via AMCAS Letters Service; please note this process may take a couple of business days."

It'll be cool, if not received in a week, then call!

I'm in the same boat, but i think it'll be fine. My LoR section is complete, like milkphlegms, but check the status and it says they're not received yet. However, they say in the confirmation note that "We will now ensure that your letters of recommendation are available to us via AMCAS Letters Service; please note this process may take a couple of business days."

It'll be cool, if not received in a week, then call!

So you can submit without the letters being "received"?

I have a quick question pertaining to the secondary..

It first asks me to put down community service that I have participated in and then later on it asks me to put down health-care related activities (volunteer or paid). All three of my health-care related activities were volunteer activities.. can I also use some of these activities when I fill out the community service question? I do have one other community service activity that is non-clinical.

i.e.
Community Service:
1) non-clinical
2) clinical
3) clinical

Healthcare related activities:
1) clinical (that I put down for #2 in the first question)
2) clinical (that I put down for #3 in the first question)
3) my last clinical activity.

They only give us three slots for each question. Thanks!

I would think so, as long as that letter has been previously marked on AMCAS to go to the school. Then once it gets to AMCAS, I'd assume it'll take a couple business days then be reflected on the status check of the portal.

if we dont get it today is that a bad sign? my app stil not verified tho

It first asks me to put down community service that I have participated in and then later on it asks me to put down health-care related activities (volunteer or paid). All three of my health-care related activities were volunteer activities.. can I also use some of these activities when I fill out the community service question? I do have one other community service activity that is non-clinical.

i.e.
Community Service:
1) non-clinical
2) clinical
3) clinical

I'm wondering the same. I would have the same things in both categories.

I would think so, as long as that letter has been previously marked on AMCAS to go to the school. Then once it gets to AMCAS, I'd assume it'll take a couple business days then be reflected on the status check of the portal.

But will it still let you mark which letters you want them to read?

Only my committee letter is showing up at the bottom of the page. They won't take any other letters if I select the committee letter, right? I have a stand-alone letter on my AMCAS, but it isn't showing up there. Also, under the letter of rec status, my committee letter is showing up three times. Maybe I accidentally checked the box a few times… anybody know how to fix that?

Seeking advice:

NonTrad applicant - 3 years out of undergrad; no UG committee letter even though school offers it (prohibitively expensive, $200!) My graduate program director has written an objective evaluation to stand in place of a committee letter, but doesn't go into as much depth outside of academics.

I have multiple letters from MD's.
I have multiple letters from undergrad science professors. 1 non-science.
I have a letter from my full-time gap year(s*) job.
I have a letter from my graduate research advisor.

All letters are STRONG as they are from people who know me well.

Which two letters do people think I should use? And does anyone know how to change the letters that show up on the RMC application? Do I just check all the letters on the AMCAS and then pick 2/10 on the RMC supplemental?

did any one experience any problems paying the fee?

I paid the fee, but the application isn't marking this step as 'complete'. When I click the 'proceed to payment' button, it tells me that I have already paid, but the page is still marked as incomplete.

Any suggestions?

Seeking advice:

NonTrad applicant - 3 years out of undergrad; no UG committee letter even though school offers it (prohibitively expensive, $200!) My graduate program director has written an objective evaluation to stand in place of a committee letter, but doesn't go into as much depth outside of academics.

I have multiple letters from MD's.
I have multiple letters from undergrad science professors. 1 non-science.
I have a letter from my full-time gap year(s*) job.
I have a letter from my graduate research advisor.

All letters are STRONG as they are from people who know me well.

Which two letters do people think I should use? And does anyone know how to change the letters that show up on the RMC application? Do I just check all the letters on the AMCAS and then pick 2/10 on the RMC supplemental?

They say that one needs to be from someone who has had substantial contact with you in the past 24 yrs. so you probably would want the letter from your full-time gap year job. Other than that, pick one more letter that will be very personal

did any one experience any problems paying the fee?

I paid the fee, but the application isn't marking this step as 'complete'. When I click the 'proceed to payment' button, it tells me that I have already paid, but the page is still marked as incomplete.

Any suggestions?

Wait until tomorrow and see what it says. I experienced this with a different school yesterday, but it just took business hours to update I think.

Wait until tomorrow and see what it says. I experienced this with a different school yesterday, but it just took business hours to update I think.

Ok then, thank you for your input. You didn't experience this with Rush though?

I will check again in the morning... so much for submitting tonight. Thanks again.

Ok then, thank you for your input. You didn't experience this with Rush though?

I will check again in the morning... so much for submitting tonight. Thanks again.

I haven't tried to pay yet. Still working on all of my "pre-professional competencies." :rolleyes:

Good luck!

They say that one needs to be from someone who has had substantial contact with you in the past 24 yrs. so you probably would want the letter from your full-time gap year job. Other than that, pick one more letter that will be very personal

Yeah I actually had the letter from my job sent. What is bothering me though is I want to submit a letter from my graduate research advisor, so I am at least sending one academic letter, but neither my advisor nor the letter writer from my job are MD's, so I am wondering if that is going to be a problem? Anyone care to chime in? Really wished the limit wasn't just 2 :/

But will it still let you mark which letters you want them to read?
I think so. If you put to send it to them in AMCAS, they should have that data, even if the letter hasn't been received from whoever wrote it. (Thoughts being that they haven't pulled mine, even though they have indeed been received, so all the adcoms have now is the data that I requested two of my LORs to go to them). Thoughts?

Is anyone having problems saving their birth certificate or passport document?

Is anyone having problems saving their birth certificate or passport document?

Nevermind, I got it to work. Spoke to soon hehe. Does anyone think it's a problem if one of the two recommendation letters is NOT from a physician?

i.e.
Community Service:
1) non-clinical
2) clinical
3) clinical

I think I may end up doing that. On one hand, I feel like I can write a better essay for the 2000 character one when speaking of community service experiences, including healthcare related ones. But on the other hand, I don't know if its bad to repeat. o_O

I have four letter entries in AMCAS, one being my committee and three other personal letters. My committee letter is the only one that has not been received by AMCAS, but on the Rush secondary, only the three that have been received by AMCAS are displayed. I can't even select the committee letter for when it does arrive.

Anyone else have this issue?

Does this mean I can't submit the secondary until my letter is received. I don't think my schools sends it until mid/late July!

Also, even though it says to only pick 1 committee or 2 personal, if anyone else selecting the committee letter and additional letters? I have a strong letter from my PI and would like them to read that one as well.

Does Rush screen before they send out secondary info? Not verified yet, but haven't received anything from them. Submitted 6/26