2013-2014 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Please list year/s of previous applications to this School
2) Is any member of your family a student or graduate of Saint Louis University School of Medicine?

3) Will you be a full-time student for the 2013-2014 academic year? (If no, explanation box appears)

4) Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement to the Admission Committee (no apparent character limit)

5) Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. dismissal, disqualification, suspension, etc.) by any college for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations? (10,000 max characters if yes)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just received an email outlining their mission statement. Very excited to apply here!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I'm still editing my school list I wasn't going to apply but I got an email from them today. How do these schools even get our email...?

Same here. I'm still editing my school list I wasn't going to apply but I got an email from them today. How do these schools even get our email...?
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe from people who have taken the MCAT recently or opened an AMCAS application? I was quite surprised, but it was definitely fun to see something from a med school in my inbox. :oops:

Would any of you guys mind sharing what was mentioned in the email? I'm just curious :)

Would any of you guys mind sharing what was mentioned in the email? I'm just curious :)
Here's the email I received:

Dear Prospective Applicant,

Saint Louis University School of Medicine encourages applications from students who have achieved a high level of academic performance and who manifest in their personal lives those human qualities compatible with a career of service to society. The University’s mission statement affirms the value of a diverse educational environment to prepare students for life and work in a global society. Beyond the important objective of training competent physicians who are scholars of human biology, the School strives to graduate physicians who manifest in their personal and professional lives an appreciation for ethical and professional attitudes that reflect the Jesuit spirit and values, and affect the physician’s interactions with patients and colleagues, and with society.

For more information about the school, please visit our web site: http://medschool.slu.edu/admissions.

Committee on Admissions
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
1402 S. Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63104

I just received the link to the secondary from them... I thought amcas wasn't sending out the apps for another week?

I just received the link to the secondary from them... I thought amcas wasn't sending out the apps for another week?
I received it as well....maybe they sent out who applied there with contact info but not the entire application? What do you think?

I received one too. Did amcas send out data today? SLU is on my primary application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm the link isn't working for me. How about you guys?

Are you guys using passport photos for this?

Hmm the link isn't working for me. How about you guys?
I was able to log in to the secondary site, but when I click to see the secondary, I get redirected to the application status page. Which browser are you using? I'm in Chrome.

So you think just any 2 x 2 photo will work?
Probably. I remember for the Texas application they required a photo that was under 100 kb. For mine, I was just in a suit/shirt/tie.

Probably. I remember for the Texas application they required a photo that was under 100 kb. For mine, I was just in a suit/shirt/tie.

Great thanks. It doesn't seem I can access the rest of the application though to fill out their questions.

Great thanks. It doesn't seem I can access the rest of the application though to fill out their questions.

same I'm having trouble navigating the site. Every link I click redirects me to the status page:confused::confused:

It'll clear up soon I'm sure. They just opened!

I don't just mean the fact that the app isn't working properly. I mean why are we even getting these? AMCAS has postponed app submission by at least a week. Unless they lied just to cool people down/stop angry phone calls etc.:rolleyes:

Just received this:

Dear Applicants,

We recently sent out a supplemental application invitation e-mail. It has been brought to our attention that the site is not currently working as programmed. Please check the site at a later time to fill out the secondary application. A note will be posted regarding restored functionality. Your application processing will not be affected by this delay. Thank you for your patience.

Well, just received another e-mail that they are on the case, and to check back later. I guess it is the real deal.

Also from the AMCAS website:

IMPORTANT: As of Friday, June 28, AMCAS has officially begun transmitting 2014 applicant data to medical schools as originally scheduled. Please disregard the announcement that transmission has been delayed. We apologize for the confusion and appreciate your patience.

Also from the AMCAS website:

IMPORTANT: As of Friday, June 28, AMCAS has officially begun transmitting 2014 applicant data to medical schools as originally scheduled. Please disregard the announcement that transmission has been delayed. We apologize for the confusion and appreciate your patience.

HAHAHAHA...this is madness

Has anyone that added SLU on their primary not received a secondary?

I uploaded my essays but when I look at the preview page the essay is one long paragraph. Anyone else have these issues?

I uploaded my essays but when I look at the preview page the essay is one long paragraph. Anyone else have these issues?

Do the text boxes only appear if you click yes to the questions?

The photo requirements are:

Max Height: 400 pixels
Max Width: 250 pixels
Max Size: 150000 bytes

Last edited:
4. Do you wish to include any comments, other than your AMCAS personal statement, to the Admissions Committee?

Yes, but besides our personal statement, do they want anything else? Perhaps a few sentences on why SLU?

Secondary submitted! I called about the essays coming out as one long paragraph on the preview page. They said don't worry about it, it is probably a formatting issue in that page. Good luck everyone!

Anyone care to post the essay prompts?

Anyone care to post the essay prompts?

There's just a space where you can include additional comments. It seems that some applicants are using this space to include a brief statement on why you are interested in SLU.

Does anyone know what's up with their new urban/underserved MPH dual degree? There's nothing on the secondary about it.

If you have summer plans or plans for next year not on your primary, where are you entering this information? In the 'comments' question described previously or as a document you can upload?

If you have summer plans or plans for next year not on your primary, where are you entering this information? In the 'comments' question described previously or as a document you can upload?

There's a question that asks if you will be a full time student this upcoming year. If you say no, a box appears that allows you to describe what you'll be doing instead

Does anyone know what's up with their new urban/underserved MPH dual degree? There's nothing on the secondary about it.

I didn't apply to it, but I think you have to apply to the school of public health separately. I remember reading somewhere that you had to be accepted to both programs individually (I read his a while ago though)

There's a question that asks if you will be a full time student this upcoming year. If you say no, a box appears that allows you to describe what you'll be doing instead

Ah. Then its my unique situation that is making this choice so difficult. Im enrolled in an SMP at Boston University, but the second year (beginning in september) is devoted to thesis work, possibly an extra class or two. The thesis work can be conducted anywhere though, so Im currently in a lab at Hopkins and will remain in that lab next year, despite maintaining full time status at Boston University. So i said 'Yes' to the full-time question. Anyone have any advice on where I ought to describe my plans? either in the 'comments' field or as a document that I upload?