2013-2014 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I don't think there is a page yet. But I believe its usually the second years that organize orientation info and such that set up the fb page. That way they can screen who is actually joining?

Last year, the people in the thread created their own page, so I don't think the second years do this. Anyone want to take the lead on creating a FB page?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today pre-interview
I called admissions about my status and was told my application was still being reviewed. An hour later I received my rejection email. Completed Dec 7th.

Are there any II's left to go out?

Complete since mid-August & silence since.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected pre-interview today. Complete in September.
Bummed, but what can you do?

Finally rejected. Not even upset, just glad to hear something.

For those who have been accepted, did you guys do anything else other than submit the FAFSA?

Gave up my seat today in favor of my first choice school, hope one of y'all gets it. Good luck to everybody!

For those who have been accepted, did you guys do anything else other than submit the FAFSA?
Not yet. I just called the financial aid office and they said that the additional forms should be available via the financial aid website next week. I believe the deadline for submitting them is April 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gave up my acceptance too! Good luck to everyone gunning for an acceptance :)

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate list, I kind of expected it though since I interviewed pretty late in the cycle.

The great wait begins ~

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was put on the wait-list, and I was wondering what I should send SLU to help boost my application. Also, can we call to find out where on the wait-list we are ranked (or if they even rank)?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone,

I was put on the wait-list, and I was wondering what I should send SLU to help boost my application. Also, can we call to find out where on the wait-list we are ranked (or if they even rank)?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

they do rank. but they wont tell you your rank. it's stupid, i know.

does anyone know how good SLU's alternate/wait-list movement is? I'm really loosing hope now :/

I will be giving up my spot on Monday. I hope someone else gets some good news soon. Good luck!

I will be giving up my spot on Monday. I hope someone else gets some good news soon. Good luck!
Also gave up my spot. For those on the waitlist, good luck! Judging by sdn I think SLU will have a lot of movement!

Also gave up my spot. For those on the waitlist, good luck! Judging by sdn I think SLU will have a lot of movement!

Thank you Trino. I hope you are right. But SLU over-accepts alot though.

Last edited:
Has anyone from the March 2 Interview Day heard back yet? I've been checking the mail every day for the past two weeks, and I'm pretty anxious haha

EDIT: I emailed them asking for a status update, and they emailed me back pretty quickly saying I was on the alternate list. Oh well... I'll probably be withdrawing from the wait list pretty soon.

Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
Does anybody know whether the waitlist is ranked? is there anyway one can know the likelihood of getting pull off waitlist?

I just received an alternate list update e-mail asking me if I wished to remain on the list. Also, all updates should be sent to [email protected] and not via the applicant portal (since they're in the process of changing systems).

Is anyone thinking about applying for the Urban Underserved MD/MPH program?

Is anyone thinking about applying for the Urban Underserved MD/MPH program?
I wasn't, until they sent me the email. It does sound pretty cool, but the idea of adding an extra year of school scares me a bit, since I already feel like I'll be a million years old by the time I finish. I'm definitely going to look into it more.

I wasn't, until they sent me the email. It does sound pretty cool, but the idea of adding an extra year of school scares me a bit, since I already feel like I'll be a million years old by the time I finish. I'm definitely going to look into it more.
+1
LOL I felt that way as well. I already wanted to do an MD/MPH, but I'm not sure if I want to do this specific program. In the grand scheme of things I try to tell myself that one year extra is not going to make a significant difference.

+1
LOL I felt that way as well. I already wanted to do an MD/MPH, but I'm not sure if I want to do this specific program. In the grand scheme of things I try to tell myself that one year extra is not going to make a significant difference.
Haha that's how I feel about it too. I'm already getting all nostalgic wishing I could make undergrad last longer, so I feel like once I'm in med school, I won't actually mind taking another year to learn more cool stuff :)
Does anyone know if this program would be binding if you got in? It sounds super cool and everything, but the only thing holding me back from applying is the thought of "...but what if I change my mind once I'm in and I don't want an MPH anymore?"

^From the same email: " The Committee does not release information as to your rank on the alternate list."

i got it too. i spoke with the secretary and she said they actually do have significant movement off the waitlist from year to year. gives some hope

Marvelous, thank you for asking!

yeah definitely, it probably made my day. she was super nice. unfortunately they're pretty strict about not giving out info on WL rank.

does anyone know the appropriate way to send in letters of recommendation? should I get my professors who wrote it to send it in to the email, or can I send them myself?

thanks and good luck! :)

does anyone know the appropriate way to send in letters of recommendation? should I get my professors who wrote it to send it in to the email, or can I send them myself?

have them e-mail it. im pretty sure the secretary told me that they accept letters of rec. through e-mail

I had my letter writer upload it to interfolio and then either emailed schools through that or through AMCAS.

yeah definitely, it probably made my day. she was super nice. unfortunately they're pretty strict about not giving out info on WL rank.

Hey user12! Based off of your post am I correct in assuming that we wait listers are already ranked? Or did the office make it sound more like they would rank us but just have not yet? I am trying to decide whether or not to send an update letter with my grades for last term and what not, but I dont want to bug them with it if my fate is already sealed. Thanks :)

Hey user12! Based off of your post am I correct in assuming that we wait listers are already ranked? Or did the office make it sound more like they would rank us but just have not yet? I am trying to decide whether or not to send an update letter with my grades for last term and what not, but I dont want to bug them with it if my fate is already sealed. Thanks :)

Hi Kitty,
They told me you are ranked (assigned a number) right at the committee meeting where they decide to accept/waitlist you. It's pretty much a hard list. They also told me that after you're assigned a number, nothing will really change that. Hope it helps

Hi Kitty,
They told me you are ranked (assigned a number) right at the committee meeting where they decide to accept/waitlist you. It's pretty much a hard list. They also told me that after you're assigned a number, nothing will really change that. Hope it helps

That is very helpful in terms of my question of sending an update or not, thank you! However, I am a bit confused since the committee meets every few weeks from Sep-March or whatever that large window is... wouldnt your rank go down each time someone brought up in a committee meeting after yours got assigned a higher number than what they gave you? Or conversely, do you have a large advantage of being near the top of the wait list if the committee saw your file and ranked you early on in the interview season?

That is very helpful in terms of my question of sending an update or not, thank you! However, I am a bit confused since the committee meets every few weeks from Sep-March or whatever that large window is... wouldnt your rank go down each time someone brought up in a committee meeting after yours got assigned a higher number than what they gave you? Or conversely, do you have a large advantage of being near the top of the wait list if the committee saw your file and ranked you early on in the interview season?

Very good question. Unfortunately they won't tell me in that much detail. I guess they rank you based on certain criteria that are quantitative... I'm not sure. May be you can call and ask them. I don't want to keep pestering them with my questions. LOL. But hey Kitty, I saw you got some awesome acceptances on mdapps. Do you still rather go to SLU?

Very good question. Unfortunately they won't tell me in that much detail. I guess they rank you based on certain criteria that are quantitative... I'm not sure. May be you can call and ask them. I don't want to keep pestering them with my questions. LOL. But hey Kitty, I saw you got some awesome acceptances on mdapps. Do you still rather go to SLU?

I mean if what they say about our rank being pretty much set in stone is true, I guess the manner in which the waitlist was formed isnt too relevant, however if curiosity does get the best of me and I end up calling I will let you know what they say :)
As for your question, my goal for med school coming into the app cycle was to hopefully get into a school in which I could get out of WI and into a bigger city with an urban environment and big underserved population. Of course as fate would have it, the 4 of my interviews that turned into acceptances are all in more or less suburban settings and my rejection and 2 waitlists were in the type of environment I saw myself moving into. I guess there is just a part of me that wants to hang onto the little bit of hope for keeping that dream alive haha

Haha that's how I feel about it too. I'm already getting all nostalgic wishing I could make undergrad last longer, so I feel like once I'm in med school, I won't actually mind taking another year to learn more cool stuff :)
Does anyone know if this program would be binding if you got in? It sounds super cool and everything, but the only thing holding me back from applying is the thought of "...but what if I change my mind once I'm in and I don't want an MPH anymore?"
So I spoke with Dr. Slavin earlier today and he said that the program is not binding. I think you should shoot him an email or call if you are interested. From what he told me it sounds like a pretty good program.

Declined my acceptance to SLU last night and they emailed me this morning to say my deposit would be refunded to me by check in the next 2-3 weeks. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Just withdrew my acceptance from SLU today. It was a tough decision. SLU will always have a special place in my heart for being my first acceptance. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist! May 15th is around the corner!

Reactions: 1 users
Only a little more than a day left till the 15th, but still no word on financial aid packages :\