2013-2014 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah. Then its my unique situation that is making this choice so difficult. Im enrolled in an SMP at Boston University, but the second year (beginning in september) is devoted to thesis work, possibly an extra class or two. The thesis work can be conducted anywhere though, so Im currently in a lab at Hopkins and will remain in that lab next year, despite maintaining full time status at Boston University. So i said 'Yes' to the full-time question. Anyone have any advice on where I ought to describe my plans? either in the 'comments' field or as a document that I upload?

Ohh I see. I would believe you could mention it anywhere, the extra comments or as a separate document, because they would see it either way.

Members don't see this ad.

For the LORs, they say that they require 3, but accept more. Not all of my letter writers have submitted their letters to AMCAS yet, but will be shortly. Should I assign the ones that have already shown up when I submit the secondary, and send in the others as my lette writers submit them? Or should I wait to submit the secondary until all of my letter writers have uploaded them to AMCAS (that way they all will arrive at the school at the same time)? Thanks!

There's just a space where you can include additional comments. It seems that some applicants are using this space to include a brief statement on why you are interested in SLU.

Great, thanks for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you say is some of the most unique aspect about Saint Louis Medical School?

Last edited:
Has anyone that added SLU on their primary not received a secondary?
I have begun receiving secondaries from other schools, but not SLU. I'm thinking they likely screen their applications (correct me if I'm wrong). My MCAT score comes in Tuesday, so maybe I'll hear after my AMCAS has more information?

Are any of you just taking a photo of yourself using your computer? I just used photo booth on my macbook pro to snag a picture of myself in a white collared shirt. Unfortunately I don't have any "professional" looking photos of myself lying around my apartment.

I enlisted my boyfriend for help with taking the photo, and it came out great. You totally can't tell it was taken with an iPhone, or that I was standing on my bed wearing pajama bottoms.

There's just a space where you can include additional comments. It seems that some applicants are using this space to include a brief statement on why you are interested in SLU.

Is there a character limit? How long are would you say is appropriate?

Is there a character limit? How long are would you say is appropriate?

Hmm I don't remember what the character limit was, sorry. I think about 300-400 words would be appropriate. It's enough to express your interest without dragging on and on. I wrote three short paragraphs.

I didn't put any additional comments...don't know if I just screwed myself out of $100 there...

Hmm I don't remember what the character limit was, sorry. I think about 300-400 words would be appropriate. It's enough to express your interest without dragging on and on. I wrote three short paragraphs.

I think it was 10000 characters lol

Haha well now you guys are just giving me mixed signals. But yes, I think 3 paragraphs sounds about right. I just wrote my essay out and it's kind of long (definitely not 10000 characters haha) but I'll probably shorten it a bit.

Thanks guys! Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is our application considered submitted when it says "Application Complete" and our app has been certified?

Last edited:
Is our application considered submitted when it says "Application Complete" and our app has been certified?

same question.
How do we know if they received the LORs? amcas received my packet but im not sure if slu got it.

also, i found it weird how they didnt have a prerequisite section.......

or did i miss it.....

Just submitted! All set with Saint Louis...now onto the rest!

Just submitted! All set with Saint Louis...now onto the rest!

Me too! It's surreal to actually be going through the process after following these sorts of threads over the years

For the optional question about if there's any additional comments, did most people write "Why SLU?" or is it fine to write pretty much a "Diversity" essay for that part?

THanks!

For the optional question about if there's any additional comments, did most people write "Why SLU?" or is it fine to write pretty much a "Diversity" essay for that part?

THanks!
Write whatever you feel necessary to supplement your primary application. I wrote about 500 words on diversity + why SLU. I think most people last year wrote Why SLU and it worked out nicely for them

did anyone notice on msar that they require 12 hours in humanities?????? i have nowhere near that. On the admission website, it doesnt have a section for prerequisites. im hoping its a mistake.

did anyone notice on msar that they require 12 hours in humanities?????? i have nowhere near that. On the admission website, it doesnt have a section for prerequisites. im hoping its a mistake.

On SLU's site, if you go to 'admissions' and then 'how to apply', you find a list of prerequisites. It says you need 12 credits of humanities and/or behavioral sciences.

Actually, here's the link: http://www.slu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply

On SLU's site, if you go to 'admissions' and then 'how to apply', you find a list of prerequisites. It says you need 12 credits of humanities and/or behavioral sciences.

Actually, here's the link: http://www.slu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply

oh ok. I didnt see the behavioral science part. Does anyone know if criminology and law class is considered humanities? Is drama considered humanities?

how strict are they with the 12 hrs of behavioral/humanities requirement?

12 semester credits? so 18 quarter credits I guess... 5 quarter classes? Good thing I was a humanities minor haha

My undergrad's gen eds include a year each of philosophy & theology plus a semester each of lit, history, and a social science...so between all of that I was set, even without humanities electives haha.

I'm just glad they don't require more than 1 semester of behavioral science...that was one thing I didn't do. :c

Does SLU have any programs for students interested in primary care?

Does SLU have any programs for students interested in primary care?

They have an md/mph program, or you could probably do some kind of public health research. They have two free clinics you could volunteer at. They have electives that emphasize primary care... what kind of programs are you interested in?

Just submitted my secondary! Wrote "why SLU" for the extra info essay after debating a bit. No character limits on that essay (that I came across), so I wrote ~400 words (~2000 characters).

Just submitted my secondary! Wrote "why SLU" for the extra info essay after debating a bit. No character limits on that essay (that I came across), so I wrote ~400 words (~2000 characters).

I did that too. I think whenever you have a chance to write an optional essay you should. Doing a good job on these essays is a great example of one of the few things that we actually have control over in the application cycle!

I did that too. I think whenever you have a chance to write an optional essay you should. Doing a good job on these essays is a great example of one of the few things that we actually have control over in the application cycle!

I agree entirely--if they give me extra room to persuade them why they should interview me, I'm darn going to fill that space with words. :D I'm more persuasive in my writing [than in person] anyway--and I figure that'll help me as I sit on average stats.

Plus the "why ____" essays are so easy to write--look at their website for an hour or so, take notes on all the unique/exciting things about their school, write essay. So much easier than writing about myself!!

Is everyone who's applying here religious?

No. From what I hear, you can choose to take part in the university's religious aspects, but it is in no way required or expected.

Called the office of admissions today inquiring about my LOR (they have no way for us to check LOR status online); they said mine have been received and my app is currently under review by the committee. :)

Secondary submitted! Excited for this application cycle

They have an md/mph program, or you could probably do some kind of public health research. They have two free clinics you could volunteer at. They have electives that emphasize primary care... what kind of programs are you interested in?

I was interested in early clinical experience in family medicine. Some schools have tracks for primary care but I didn't see one. Clinics it is! Thank you for the response!

How strict are they on the three professors for LOR? I have been out of school for 3 years so I only stayed in contact with 2 : / should I not waste money applying?

How strict are they on the three professors for LOR? I have been out of school for 3 years so I only stayed in contact with 2 : / should I not waste money applying?

I have been out of school since 2011 so I used 2 professors and my current employer. I think that's fine for non-trads.

I have been out of school since 2011 so I used 2 professors and my current employer. I think that's fine for non-trads.

That put my mind at ease. Thank you! Did you email them?

Not SLU specifically, but a lot of other schools have said it was acceptable

So..just clicked the FAQ in the secondary application and it says,
"As a non-traditional applicant, can I submit alternate letters of recommendation?
Yes. The Committee will accept insightful and in-depth evaluations from others that know you." Just in case anyone else wanted for sure verification.

Anyone know when to expect early interview invites to go out?

Can anyone speak to the Jesuit identity here? It seemed deemphasized in comparison to Georgetown, for example. Is the focus more on service in general?

Can anyone speak to the Jesuit identity here? It seemed deemphasized in comparison to Georgetown, for example. Is the focus more on service in general?

I would like to know this as well. For me at least, I can't claim 100% faith to Catholicism but I certainly agree with the mission statement.

I would like to know this as well. For me at least, I can't claim 100% faith to Catholicism but I certainly agree with the mission statement.

I went to Wash U undergrad and I've known quite a few people who have gone to SLU for medical school and I can tell you that by no means were all of them religious/Jesuit. My understanding is that the school was established on Jesuit tradition (those with the capability to help should help those with the need for help) but the religious influence at the med school isn't really strong. I would encourage everyone to keep going with the application and then (hopefully) see for yourselves at interviews!